Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Kubiak Conundrum

coon

Waterboy
If we go one and done in the playoffs, is it time to let Kubiak go? The Kubiak conundrum is a difficult one to navigate. He is by no means a bad coach, but is he good enough to win a superbowl, could we even upgrade? The Kubiak conundrum is a interesting one, we can't replace our coach unless it is with a better one.

The way I see it there aren't many people that would be an upgrade. The one coach I would like to see us look at if Kubiak can't turn this around is Nick Saban. He is a grinder from the Belichick tree, who always has his teams prepared and is a defensive guru. He wasn't as unsuccessful as you might think in Miami. He went 15-17 with Daunte Cullpepper's corpse and Cleo Lemon. Would the Texans job be enough to make him leave Alabama.

If necessary,who do you think could replace Kubiak and bring us to the promise land?

Last edited:
How many times did Dungy & Manning go one & done before they won a Super Bowl?

Like it or not Kubiak isn't going anywhere for quite some time, no matter the results.

I know he won't go anywhere, and with 2 straight postseason's and a 12-4 record I don't know if he should. This wasn't meant to be a fire Kubiak thing, just trying to funnel the Kubiak hate. Those that want Kubiak gone, who would you hire? Saban is the only coach I could think of that could do better.

I know he won't go anywhere, and with 2 straight postseason's and a 12-4 record I don't know if he should. This wasn't meant to be a fire Kubiak thing, just trying to funnel the Kubiak hate. Those that want Kubiak gone, who would you hire? Saban is the only coach I could think of that could do better.

You make a good point. Kubiak is most certainly not the worst head coach in the league, we could do worse. Much worse. That doesn't keep me from disliking Kubiac though.

I say we change the name of the city to belicekville, give him the keys to the city and name a holiday after him. Who else could make a guy named named woodhead look good.

Seriously though he is one of the best coaches even when brady went out that whole season they didn't miss a beat.

No.

POSSIBILITY 1:

I'd wait 1 or 2 more years, then go after Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M).

Keep Case Keenum aboard, let them reunite and go to school on NFL defenses. Everything is moving toward PASSING GAME. The new rules, and the ones that will surely come down in the future, are made for it.

Less hard tackling, less hits on QBs and WRs (to reduce concussions and legal liabilities in the future) means the passing game will be the key to the future.

We wouldn't be able to get Manziel, but then again I am not so sure he can translate to the pro game. He's a concussion waiting to happen, IMO. At least with Keenum, he'd have a HC who supports his style of play...and he'd be a HELL of a lot more mobile than Schaub The Blob.

This also dove tails nicely with Bob's need to keep Houston roots alive and well once he chops down the Kubiak tree.

POSSIBILITY 2:

I wouldn't rule out another potential move: Firing Kubiak, making Wade SON OF BUM Phillips head coach (Vance Jospeh becomes d-coord), and then Wade hiring Kevin Sumlin as O-Coordinator. And Case becomes the defacto QB, as well. It'd be a University of Houston SWEEP. Wade keeps saying he wants to be a HC again, and if things keep going badly for Gary's offense...well, you heard it here first, folks. ;)

as much as I would love to replace Kubiak, I just don't see a team with a 12-4 regular season record as replacing the head coach. Under normal circumstances that record is grounds for long term extension talk. It has happened a few times in the past however with varying degrees of success, like when Tampa fired Dungy because he couldn't get them past that second round of the play-offs. but usually that move just doesn't bode well for teams, So, I think we will be stuck with the turtle for a while to come.

(Vance Jospeh becomes d-coord)

I don't know why we haven't fired Marciano & make Vance the special teams coach.

Personally I think that would be the next move for Vance, before going to defensive coordinator. He needs to work on other positions, other aspects of the game before he goes to DC. Maybe LB coach..

But I think Special Teams is a little more involved than a "position" coach since there is so much involved.

wary.jpg

The ultimate question is who would you replace him with. I think he'd get a chance at finding another QB before he gets fired.

If he did get fired, I would have Lil Shanny.

No.

POSSIBILITY 1:

I'd wait 1 or 2 more years, then go after Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M).

Keep Case Keenum aboard, let them reunite and go to school on NFL defenses. Everything is moving toward PASSING GAME. The new rules, and the ones that will surely come down in the future, are made for it.

Less hard tackling, less hits on QBs and WRs (to reduce concussions and legal liabilities in the future) means the passing game will be the key to the future.

We wouldn't be able to get Manziel, but then again I am not so sure he can translate to the pro game. He's a concussion waiting to happen, IMO. At least with Keenum, he'd have a HC who supports his style of play...and he'd be a HELL of a lot more mobile than Schaub The Blob.

This also dove tails nicely with Bob's need to keep Houston roots alive and well once he chops down the Kubiak tree.

POSSIBILITY 2:

I wouldn't rule out another potential move: Firing Kubiak, making Wade SON OF BUM Phillips head coach (Vance Jospeh becomes d-coord), and then Wade hiring Kevin Sumlin as O-Coordinator. And Case becomes the defacto QB, as well. It'd be a University of Houston SWEEP. Wade keeps saying he wants to be a HC again, and if things keep going badly for Gary's offense...well, you heard it here first, folks. ;)

Case Keenum is like the girl from highschool that your dating and you sweer that she is the one, the only girl for you. When in reality she is just someone close by that you know and feel comfortable with. There are literally millions of other girls that you would be more compatable with. I won't say there are millions of better qb's than Case Keenum but you get the idea.

The ultimate question is who would you replace him with. I think he'd get a chance at finding another QB before he gets fired.

If he did get fired, I would have Lil Shanny.

He's been here 7 years.
  1. 2006........6-10
  2. 2007........8-8
  3. 2008........8-8
  4. 2009........9-7
  5. 2010........6-10
  6. 2011........10-6; Division Champs; Wild-Card victory
  7. 2012........12-4; Division Champs; TBD

2 losing seasons. 3 winning seasons. 2 division championships.......

I don't think he's getting fired.

If Kubiak goes ZBS goes, some of the O-linemen no longer fit, Arian becomes pedestrian ..... it'll be a few year retooling of the offense.

And make no mistake, he'll be back at the job somewhere else lickety-split.

If Kubiak goes ZBS goes, some of the O-linemen no longer fit, Arian becomes pedestrian ..... it'll be a few year retooling of the offense.

eh...... Ben Jones & Chris Meyers may be on the outside looking in. The other guys are big enough to play in any system.

Yeah, There are no HC candidates that run the ZBS. LOL

You're painting a worse case scenario. This team cant be worse scoring points than they are right now.

How about... If we lose this Saturday, Fire Kubiak. Hire Kyle Shanahan as HC.. Retain Wade as DC. Then, Kubiak can go to Washington to be Mike Shanahan's OC. Everybody wins!!!

I say we change the name of the city to belicekville, give him the keys to the city and name a holiday after him. Who else could make a guy named named woodhead look good.

Seriously though he is one of the best coaches even when brady went out that whole season they didn't miss a beat.

Yeh, but can we afford his film crew?

How about... If we lose this Saturday, Fire Kubiak. Hire Kyle Shanahan as HC.. Retain Wade as DC. Then, Kubiak can go to Washington to be Mike Shanahan's OC. Everybody wins!!!

When I was drunk on New Years Eve I thought of this very thing!!!!

Back