Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The I'm bored at Work Mock Draft

Texas_Thrill

Veteran
Atlanta - Calvin Johnson

Yup they do it again. This team has officially entered the FRANCHISE QB denial zone. Unlike the Texans who admitted they got it wrong....the Falcons continue to try salvage Vick. This is probably IT for Vick if they get Johnson and he still doesn't produce.

Detroit - Adrian Peterson

You want logical picking? Dont look at Matt Millen. Yes he has Kevin Jones. Yes he just signed TJ Duckett. Yes he still even has Tatum Bell. Why draft AD? Because he freaking can.

Cleveland - Brady Quinn

Left dumb founded by the #2 pick they almost don't get in their draft card for the hometown kid. Frye's not convincing anyone it seems and even if he gets it together there's nothing like having a Golden Boy lead your team.

Tampa Bay - Gaines Adams

Quick name a tackle for the Bucs? That good huh. This team really could go either way on their lines. D-line is more pressing with all ends appearing to be heading out of town. They wanted Johnson and probably made a play to move up to #1 for Chucky but couldn't outshoot Atlanta's new found firepower.

Arizona - Joe Thomas

Is it their lucky day? Probably not but they've got to be feeling excited when this kind of player falls in their lap. L. Davis is gone and though they might be hesistant to go down this rode with another high pick lineman they pull the trigger.

Chicago - Amobi Okoye

The new Okoye Nightmare. This shouldn't even be legal for them to acquire this kid and create one of the scariest d-lines in the NFL. Washington is more than willing to part with this pick and don't see any way they keep it given they have no picks until the 5th round.

Minnesota - Marshawn Lynch

This is a REACH pick for most people but with AD off the board the Vikings desperately want a legitimate back to take some of the pressure off their young starter T. Jackson.

Oakland - J. Russell

How good it is to get the player you wanted anyway all the way back at number 8? Did Al Davis get his old magic back? Nope just damn lucky. Miami makes a move to try and trade up but doesn't ante up enough to get Minn. to make that move.

Miami - Levi Brown

They sign David Carr and unlike the Texans want to see if given protection the kid can actually play (which nobody still knows). Even if he can't they've got a LT for the next 10 years they hope.

Houston - Laron Landry

He's a playmaker and that's what the Texans FO and coaching staff says they are lacking. Though they need help on the O and D lines this pick just is too good to pass up.

Wait a sec, I thought it was a pre-requisite to be bored at work to do a Mock Draft.:)

And I don't think we will get lucky enough for Minnesota to take a RB they don't need just so they won't take Landry:confused:

If Landry is at #9, I've got a good feeling Miami will snap him up very quickly, leaving us with some options in this one. I like the wing-nut Lions pick a lot. Very funny but I think they go with Jarrett or Ginn Jr. at that spot.

Wait a sec, I thought it was a pre-requisite to be bored at work to do a Mock Draft.:)

And I don't think we will get lucky enough for Minnesota to take a RB they don't need just so they won't take Landry:confused:

how do you figure Minn. doesn't need a RB? have you looked at their Depth Chart?

don't really like some of the reasoning behind a lot of these picks.

lol, well that's what you get when someone is bored. i think the chance of a draft playing out like this is less than 10% but given that i get tired of the SAME boring mock drafts that all look alike. I like to throw in some texas hot sauce from time to time.

the more controversial yet somewhat probable the better.

Chester Taylor, Started 15 Games had 303 attempts for 1216 yards 6 touchdowns and 6 carries for over 20 yards and 53 first downs

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302136

They also have a few probowl linemen (Birk and Hutchinson off the top of my head)

1200 yards by today's standards is average, esp. with the Pro Bowlers in front him that you mentioned. Mewelde Moore was a nice experiment, but they need a quality #2 back. Doubt they make a stab at AD with the #7 pick.

Cleveland will take JaMarcus Russell because of the ties between Phil Savage and the LSU Superstar. Brady Quinn will then fall to the Raiders at 8 unless Detroit takes him. And we still get Landry so its cool

1200 yards by today's standards is average, esp. with the Pro Bowlers in front him that you mentioned. Mewelde Moore was a nice experiment, but they need a quality #2 back. Doubt they make a stab at AD with the #7 pick.

Even if AD is there for the Vikings, there has to be a defensive player that they'll stab at, (or take a whack at WR, and my bet is they end up trading down anyway)

Of course I have but why reach big time for a back when all you are looking for is a 2nd back. Just grab someone in the middle rounds to do that.

As we've noticed the trend in football is not just to have a so-so #2 back but two backs who realistically could be considered starters.

Not to say you can't find that in the middle rounds but if Chester Taylor is no Lynch. Taylor would be better off being the #2 back with Lynch being the true homerun threat that he is.

Yes it is a reach but there is NO WR worth of being in the top 10 outside of CJ. Anyone else is a DRAMATIC reach. Lynch you can justify b/c quite frankly T. Jackson is going to need all the help he can get as a young QB and having a very good running game is the best thing the Vikings can do for him.

reaching on lynch is just ridiculous there for the vikings. here's how you know it's not a good pick:

1: it's a huge reach
2: certainly not BPA
3: they don't need a player at that position
4: there will be a few DE's available that make a lot more sense to draft.

reaching on lynch is just ridiculous there for the vikings. here's how you know it's not a good pick:

1: it's a huge reach
2: certainly not BPA
3: they don't need a player at that position
4: there will be a few DE's available that make a lot more sense to draft.

i won't disagree with you there. if i could have come up with a reasonable trade partner for them I would have. I think they trade back honestly and probably go after a WR for Jackson.

i disagree about them needing a player at that position. chester taylor is good but not great. the trend today is to have two starter type backs. they don't have that. if you have a young qb the better the running game is the better chances your qb has (example: big ben).

yes, the trend is to have 2 starting backs. but using that logic, pretty much everyone in the top 10 should be looking to draft another back. oakland should take adrian peterson.

chester taylor isn't great, but he's certainly one of the most capable backs of the top 10 teams.

I'm looking at the fact that the Vikings have all but handed the reigns over to T. Jackson at QB.

He clearly needs weapons on offense. They have a pretty good line as it stands now. What they don't have is playmakers imo. There is no WR you could justify at the position they have.

If they actually stayed there I believe they will probably have to draft Defense.

My logic here is that EVERY year a team in the top 10 reaches for a player that most don't feel is a Top 10 pick. I see no reason why this year will be any different.

Or teh Vikings nearly missing their picks

the Vikes did miss their pick in that draft a few years ago.

They still got the guy they wanted but the spot they chose him at had a lower ceiling for max salary.

Good idea, but they probably shoulda just traded back instead.

the Vikes did miss their pick in that draft a few years ago.

They still got the guy they wanted but the spot they chose him at had a lower ceiling for max salary.

Good idea, but they probably shoulda just traded back instead.

There is no ceiling for max salary and it wasn't intentional:

For the second year in a row, the Minnesota Vikings suffered an embarrassing first-round snafu, botching their initial selection when the 15-minute time limit lapsed and the team was then forced to exercise a rare "pass" on its choice.

But give Vikings management credit for this: At least this time around, Minnesota didn't compound its faux pas by butchering the subsequent contract negotiations.

ESPN.com has learned that the Vikings reached contract agreement Thursday evening with first-round defensive tackle Kevin Williams, the ninth player selected overall, and avoided the kind of acrimony and holdout that marked their 2002 negotiations. Last year, first-round pick Bryant McKinnie held out for nearly 100 days, and the former University of Miami offensive tackle missed virtually half his rookie campaign.

Minnesota officials were determined such an impasse would not occur again and ensured that by making a very aggressive proposal to Williams and agents Ken Kremer and Tom Condon, and then agreeing with the onetime Oklahoma State star on an impressive deal.

Williams will sign a seven-year contract that will void to five years simply if he reaches minimum playing time benchmarks. He will receive an initial signing bonus of $4 million and a second-tier option bonus of $4 million. The $8 million total represents a gaudy 21.4 percent increase over the bonuses awarded to Jacksonville Jaguars defensive tackle John Henderson, the ninth player chosen in the 2002 draft.

In a year when the rookie allocation pool is "flat," and increases have been modest, that is a dramatic jump.

Link

"And with the second pick in the draft, the Lions select... Calvin Johnson."

lmao, one can ONLY wonder if they did that Matt Millen wouldn't be strung up in the middle of detroit. the only way he avoids capture is b/c people can't afford the gas with the unemployment rate the highest in the nation for a major city.

Back