Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The class of 2013: Rookie Head Coaches

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There will be eight new faces with pleated pants, a headset and a pocket full of red flags on the NFL sidelines in 2013. It's exciting to get a new head coach, for fans, owners and the media. It's more of a mixed bag for players because new head coaches mean inevitable roster changes. All of that will be sorted out in the months ahead. For now, we can only speculate about whether or not eight new faces in new places will live up to the unmeetable expectations we've already strapped to their backs.

That's from an old piece from sbnation.com they go on to say what those expectations are.

I'm wondering if you have any expectations for these coaches or teams, if you've got an opinion on the decision to make them head coaches.
  1. Andy Reid: Kansas City (2-14)
    Longtime Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach. Was it time for a change of scenery or has the game passed him by?
  2. Chip Kelly: Philadelphia Eagles (4-12)
    Successful at the college level, can his team building prowess translate in the NFL?
  3. Marc Trestman: Chicago Bears (10-6)
    CFL..... really?
  4. Gus Bradley: Jacksonville Jaguars (2-14)
    They're doing something right in Seattle, that defense for the last two seasons has been part of it & Gus Bradley is most likely responsible.
  5. Mike McCoy: San Diego Chargers (7-9)
    Let's see.... Former Professional Quarterback (Check) former Denver Broncos Offensive Coordinator (Check) Just give this guy six years & the Chargers are play-off bound.
  6. Doug Marrone: Buffalo Bills (6-10)
    Another NCAA coach stepping up to the big leagues.
  7. Rob Chudzinski: Cleveland Browns (5-11)
    He's been coaching in the NFL since 2004, off & on with Cleveland, spent last two years as the offensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers. Has he paid his dues? Or was Cleveland desperate?
  8. Bruce Arians: Arizona Cardinals (5-11)
    You know Bruce. Has this been a long time coming? He's got some talent to work with, but the NFC West ain't the chumps they used to be.

Bruce Arians & Chip Kelly are the most interesting to me.

Two I think will do well:

I think Reid's a slam dunk to be great in KC. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they win their division.

I am most interested to see what Chud will do in CLE. He's got some talent to work with and I think he did a good job filling out his staff. Should be interesting.

Two I think will do poorly:

I think Arians will flop. I think the success Indy had last year was so flukish, and I think Arians' offense is going to flounder with that line and QB.

I also think Kelly will be an utter failure. They don't know what the hell they are doing on defense and they don't know what the hell they are doing at QB. They have some talent, but there doesn't seem to be a plan. Or maybe he's just smarter than I am. We will see.

I think Reid will do quite well with the Chiefs. The rest of 'em I don't know enough about to make a guess.

Back