Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

thank the lord we didnt sign mario. now what to do?

There was no need for this thread. None.

It's a two-parter: Part 1 is "Thank the lord we didn't sign Mario." Part 2 was "Now what to do?"

The first part is rhetorical and has no thread value. No discussion value.

The second part could be discussed in another thread about our free agency moves. That thread EXISTS. It's real. I promise.

At the end of the day, this sort of thread is always created because someone wants to drive discussion to THEIR newly-created thread. As if a guy has just created a new secret hideout and he wants all the guys to hang out with him at his new location. It's acceptance-driven, actually.

Because otherwise, he could have made that statement (the thread title) in one of the existing threads...but he knows it will just get passed over as 12 people make posts right after he does. Simple explanation as to why we don't start new threads when others exist.

I know. I started it. It's called "The Replacements... who do we target?"

There should be the following threads, and that's it:

The Mario Williams Thread
The Myers/Brisiel Thread
The "Other" FA Thread
Trade/Release Rumor and Discussion Thread
Potential FA Pickups Thread (or a Who Could/Should We Sign Thread)
________ Signs Deal With Texans Thread

All the discussion should be contained in those. Not sure why that's so hard or what's so objectionable about that. Anything pertaining to those topics goes in the proper thread.

The lack of new threads is a huge reason for the limited activity in this forum in my opinion.

Nothing I hate more than to go to a message board and see the same dang 7 threads with 15 pages worth of bs in each for 5 days straight.

Give me more choices from which to choose. I think merging threads all the time is counter-productive.

I think he's serious...
:headhurts:
you'd rather look in 20 or 25 different threads of 5-10 pgs each to find what you want? That sounds like a waste of time to me.

And talk about thread hi-jacking... three pages and maybe 5 posts that address the original post...

There should be the following threads, and that's it:

The Mario Williams Thread
The Myers/Brisiel Thread
The "Other" FA Thread
Trade/Release Rumor and Discussion Thread
Potential FA Pickups Thread (or a Who Could/Should We Sign Thread)
________ Signs Deal With Texans Thread

All the discussion should be contained in those. Not sure why that's so hard or what's so objectionable about that. Anything pertaining to those topics goes in the proper thread.

But I'm special and I have different thoughts than yours on Mario signing with the Bills! I want my own thread so my ideas don't get lost in all the other people's opinions!

:kitten:

I think he's serious...
:headhurts:
you'd rather look in 20 or 25 different threads of 5-10 pgs each to find what you want? That sounds like a waste of time to me.

And talk about thread hi-jacking... three pages and maybe 5 posts that address the original post...

Show me where there are 25 threads about the same subject. From what I can see at most FOUR or so threads were about Mario prior to them being merged. So congrats on using extreme examples as well. And now it appears that all four of the threads died after being combined...so yay for progress I guess.

I'm sorry but I don't think FOUR threads is a big deal.....especially when dealing with a former first round pick leaving the team. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

To answer the point made about people who'd like more than one thread on each subject, all that happens is people feel compelled to post their thoughts in both threads, some will only post in one but not the other, the viewpoints and information either gets repeated or (worse) ends up being available in one place but not the other.

Personally, I thought there were too many threads on the Mario thing for the last few weeks and even the last year as a whole to keep abreast of what the feeling was.

Honestly, I think people would be a lot more upset about losing Mario if it wasn't for all the duplicate thread issues.

I mean, what possible advantage could there be to having a bunch of different threads.

Also, there is at least one person in this thread for whom the majority of their post history pertains to thread-etiquette :smiliepalm:

To answer the point made about people who'd like more than one thread on each subject, all that happens is people feel compelled to post their thoughts in both threads, some will only post in one but not the other, the viewpoints and information either gets repeated or (worse) ends up being available in one place but not the other.

Personally, I thought there were too many threads on the Mario thing for the last few weeks and even the last year as a whole to keep abreast of what the feeling was.

Honestly, I think people would be a lot more upset about losing Mario if it wasn't for all the duplicate thread issues.

I mean, what possible advantage could there be to having a bunch of different threads.

Also, there is at least one person in this thread for whom the majority of their post history pertains to thread-etiquette :smiliepalm:

Williams is a Welsh name, no?

Show me where there are 25 threads about the same subject. From what I can see at most FOUR or so threads were about Mario prior to them being merged. So congrats on using extreme examples as well. And now it appears that all four of the threads died after being combined...so yay for progress I guess.

I'm sorry but I don't think FOUR threads is a big deal.....especially when dealing with a former first round pick leaving the team. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Actually I was addressing the level of effort you spoke to. What's the diff if it's "7 threads with 15 pages worth of bs in each for 5 days straight" or 20-25 different threads of 5 pages each? Seems like a lot of work in either case.

And you're right. We've already spent waaay too much time on "to merge, or not to merge"

The mods have to do it. Let them call it.

Williams is a Welsh name, no?

I hear you ask Texan_Bill, could we take this thread anymore off-topic than it has gone already? And I answer your question, with what follows;

Despite Wales‘ relatively small size as a country it seems to have had a particular influence on the creation and history of the USA. The Welsh have played a disproportionately big part in American life. Many of the Welsh men and women who emigrated to America to start a new life had emigrated there from Wales to seek a new life away from the economic and cultural oppression that was being carried out by the central London government on the nations of Britain. This was a problem faced by Wales as well the other Celtic countries of Scotland and Ireland.

It should therefore be of no major surprise that almost 50% of the Signatories of American Independence were Welsh, 20% of the pilgrim fathers were Welsh as was the captain of the Mayflower itself. There have been at least 9 American presidents of Welsh descent including three of arguably the most iconic and influential American presidents; Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln. Thomas Jefferson who became good friends with fellow Welsh American president John Adams was the principle author of the revolutionary declaration of American independence whilst Jefferson Davis is famously the only Confedarist president. Abraham Lincoln is perhaps the most famous and most iconic of all American presidents; Lincoln was very proud of his Welsh heritage as illustrated by the imported Welsh tablet stone he made sure was built in to the Washington monument and donated by the Welsh citizens of New York which reads; “Fy iaith,fy ngwlad, fy nghenedl Cymru – Cymru am byth” (My language,my land, my nation of Wales – Wales forever)

The man who financed the American war of independence against central English rule was Welshman Robert Morris; Pennsylvania and Rhode island was also founded by Welshmen. It was also Welshmen who established America’s main Universities and colleges; Yale, Princeton, Brown, William and Mary, Virginia, John Hopkins, Andover and Bryn Mawr being prime examples.

The Welsh society of Philadelphia is the oldest ethnic organisation of it’s kind in America. There is even strong evidence to suggest America itself is called after a Welshman Richard ap Meryk, Anglicised to Richard Amerike (or Ameryk) (c. 1445–1503) who was the principal owner of John Cabot’s ship Matthew during his voyage of exploration to North America in 1497. It has been speculated that “America” is derived from his name, owing to his sponsorship of the voyages to Newfoundland, rather than from Amerigo Vespucci, the explorer and map-maker.

Today there are over 11 million people in the USA with Welsh surnames. It is also very notable that there are a disproportionally large number of African Americans with Welsh surnames, brought about largely by freed slaves taking on local Welsh Methodist / baptist preachers and local leaders’ surnames, and later through intermarriage but also, alas, in some cases from Welsh slave masters.

Aside from the unchangeable but addressable history of what happened to the native Indians of America and the whole African slavery trade which occurred at the hands of white European settlers in general, the Welsh settlers of north America have made and are making a substantial and significant positive influence on the cultural and civic development of American society and government in general; the true values of individual liberty and freedom from tyranny hopefully being core principles that can be grasped and secured for future generations.
http://thewelshsurnameshop.com/?page_id=15

thank the lord we didnt spend all of our money on mario. so its time to move on. were not getting peyton. and now we have some cap thats not being used. weve let vincent jackson go. also reggie wayne and pierre garcon. so my bet is that we go get myers and briesel. or myers, mario manningham and other young receivers.

Truly, I'm fine is we lose Myers. I know it sucks, but the only way we'll get him is if we over-pay for him & I don't want to overpay for Myers any more than I want to overpay for Mario.

We should have locked Myers up last year. Same as Mario. But our rookie GM has got to learn his lessons the hard way.

Truly, I'm fine is we lose Myers. I know it sucks, but the only way we'll get him is if we over-pay for him & I don't want to overpay for Myers any more than I want to overpay for Mario.

We should have locked Myers up last year. Same as Mario. But our rookie GM has got to learn his lessons the hard way.

I'm thinking of some lyrics from a metal band.... :thinking:

:hmmm:

:user:

SAD BUT TRUE!!!

:goodpost:

Not at all. You have 18 posts. Most of them are about arguing about posting. You've been a member since 2005. Until this thread you were averaging just over 1 post a year and I'm sure when you took all year to think of something to post you came up with something better than what I've seen in this thread.

Mike

I would think most people who visit this board are the type who come for information and don't post a lot, most probably never even bother to register. These people come here to find something out and go into the main forum looking to read about Mario being picked up by someone else run into a 30 or 40 page thread that started 3 weeks ago--- if they can even find it. Like Mario Williams being signed by someone else does not effect the Texans at all, it's already been moved to the NFL forums I guess.

I do know this is not the way most of the regular posters would prefer it but I'm willing to bet that most of the people who don't visit this site daily would prefer recent big news to maybe have new post. Maybe we could have new post's about recent news stay for a couple of days before merging or some other way go about it.

I'm sure if anyone bothers to respond to this it will be to the effect of "who cares about them if they don't bother to post". I'm willing to bet that these "non posters" are the majority and not the minority and I do see advertisements on these boards now days. Might wanna think about keeping them happy too.----just sayin!

I would think most people who visit this board are the type who come for information and don't post a lot, most probably never even bother to register. These people come here to find something out and go into the main forum looking to read about Mario being picked up by someone else run into a 30 or 40 page thread that started 3 weeks ago--- if they can even find it. Like Mario Williams being signed by someone else does not effect the Texans at all, it's already been moved to the NFL forums I guess.

I do know this is not the way most of the regular posters would prefer it but I'm willing to bet that most of the people who don't visit this site daily would prefer recent big news to maybe have new post. Maybe we could have new post's about recent news stay for a couple of days before merging or some other way go about it.

I'm sure if anyone bothers to respond to this it will be to the effect of "who cares about them if they don't bother to post". I'm willing to bet that these "non posters" are the majority and not the minority and I do see advertisements on these boards now days. Might wanna think about keeping them happy too.----just sayin!

^This, I am one of those that come here daily and dont post much. I know this wont go over well but I'm tired of trying to sift through 25 pages of weeks old information to find out relevent news/updates. Loading this page and seeing the same 6 topics everyday is frustrating. I see the same topics and it makes me think this site is stagnant.

There's this cool feature the mods use, it's the "Edit Thread Title" function.

Go look at the Mario thread in the NFL section...the mods altered the title so it plainly states he's now a BUFFALO BILLS player.

And guess what? The entire bajillion posts that led up to his signing with Buffalo...they're all there for anybody who wants to relive the glorious conversations we had about it all.

But it will be done by clicking a thread, in the NFL forum, that lets people know they are viewing a thread about a guy named Mario Williams who is now a member of one of the 31 other teams not named Texans.

Why is this so hard? It makes perfect sense to put threads where they belong. Mario threads should be in the NFL section. Easiest idea in the history of message board guidelines.

There's this cool feature the mods use, it's the "Edit Thread Title" function.

Go look at the Mario thread in the NFL section...the mods altered the title so it plainly states he's now a BUFFALO BILLS player.

And guess what? The entire bajillion posts that led up to his signing with Buffalo...they're all there for anybody who wants to relive the glorious conversations we had about it all.
But it will be done by clicking a thread, in the NFL forum, that lets people know they are viewing a thread about a guy named Mario Williams who is now a member of one of the 31 other teams not named Texans.

Why is this so hard? It makes perfect sense to put threads where they belong. Mario threads should be in the NFL section. Easiest idea in the history of message board guidelines.

That is exactly the point. If you have not been following the thread and you want to find out the latest news you have to sift through a bajillion post's to find what your looking for. Some people may not want to do that and if the object is to get more hits on Texanstalk.com you might at least want to consider what the people, who don't post or check threads dailey, want.

And guess what? The entire bajillion posts that led up to his signing with Buffalo...they're all there for anybody who wants to relive the glorious conversations we had about it all..

And guess what that thread was started over a year ago. Call me lazy but im not going through a thread from a year ago for the "Latest news".

That is exactly the point. If you have not been following the thread and you want to find out the latest news you have to sift through a bajillion post's to find what your looking for. Some people may not want to do that and if the object is to get more hits on Texanstalk.com you might at least want to consider what the people, who don't post or check threads dailey, want.

And guess what that thread was started over a year ago. Call me lazy but im not going through a thread from a year ago for the "Latest news".

Use the freaking SEARCH option! Duh.

Type in "Mario Williams" and it will pull up every thread that contains the word Mario. It will display every post that has the word Mario Williams if that's your choice, as well.

There are easy ways to get your news fix. You just have to use the tools to get there. Meanwhile, back on planet Obvious: We want to see the most RECENT news items listed on the front page. And we've been known to also hit Page 2 or even Page 3 to see if something from a week or so ago bumped down off of Page 1.

Who wants a complete list of all 1,000 thread titles all on one page?????? Happy scrolling! Or use the search function and get right to where you want to go.

At this point, you guys KNOW that this is right. You're just fighting it for the sake of the fight.

Type in "Mario Williams" and it will pull up the single thread that contains the word Mario.

fify :truck:

Seriously, you want the latest news on Mario Williams? Check a sports news site. You want the latest opinion on Mario Williams? Hit the last page button on the thread.

lol-cats_i-love-this-thread-so-much-jpg.803

Type in "Mario Williams" and it will pull up every thread that contains the word Mario. It will display every post that has the word Mario Williams if that's your choice, as well.

There are easy ways to get your news fix. You just have to use the tools to get there. Meanwhile, back on planet Obvious: We want to see the most RECENT news items listed on the front page. And we've been known to also hit Page 2 or even Page 3 to see if something from a week or so ago bumped down off of Page 1.

Who wants a complete list of all 1,000 thread titles all on one page?????? Happy scrolling! Or use the search function and get right to where you want to go.

At this point, you guys KNOW that this is right. You're just fighting it for the sake of the fight.

Lmfao! there is no right or wrong. It's just what people would prefer. That capitalization of the word KNOW almost made me change my mind, though.

People need to cut our mods a break and post in existing threads on like topics. I KNOW we can do this!

Threads. merges. plfff! Did some of you not expect to see a lot of talk about losing Mario?

Some of you need to visit Texas Children's Hospital and meet people with real problems, who arent a fraction as whiny.

So, hats off to the Texans, for not overpaying Mario Williams. We Saints knew, when Carl Nicks started whining about money, that 1. he wants a lot, and 2. his ass can be replaced. And guess what? It did. Houston's got a long line of DE's going back to Sean Jones back to Elvin Bethea. You'll find another one.

You'll be fine. counting down the days till DD.

Back