Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texian's Underclassman Deadline/Pre Combine Mock

Texian

Hall of Fame
OFFENSE

QB = ? ; RB = ?; FB = ?; WR = Andre Johnson; LT = Duane Brown; LG = Ben Jones; C = Chris Myers; RG = Brandon Brooks; RT = Brennan Williams/Quessenberry; WR = DeAndre Hopkins; TE = Owen Daniels

4-3 DEFENSE

DE = JJ Watt; DT = ?; DT = ?; DE = Whitney Mercilus; SLB = Brooks Reed; MLB = Brian Cushing; WLB = ?; CB = Jonathan Joseph; FS = Daniel Manning; SS = DJ Swearinger; CB = Kareem Jackson

3-4 DEFENSE

DE = JJ Watt; NT = ?; DE = ?; LOLB = Brooks Reed; LILB = Brian Cushing; RILB = ?; ROLB = Whitney Mercilus and the same secondary.

Rd. 1 = Blake Bortles, QB, UCF (replaces Schaub)

My reason for taking Bortles is because of the same high priority that Belichick and Walsh use to select their QBs, ability to win and to win in the 4th quarter with the last possession and game winning drives. When it comes to last possession and game winning drives nobody did it better, as well or as often as Bortles (Manziel comes close). The QB who wants the ball in his hands at the end of the game and is able to deliver in almost every circumstance is usually much more successful than those who don't or can't.

Bortles was always cool, calm, collected and delivered in each of his last possession and game winning drives. In judging the improvement from the last year to this year no one exceeded Bortles leap. Bortles coach and coordinator have said that they have enough confidence in Blake because he has shown the intelligence to let him make his own reads and calls and I am not sure any other college QB today has those options available.

RD 2 - Timmy Jernigan, DT, FSU (replaces Mitchell)

RD 3 – Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas (replaces Ninja)

RD 4 – CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (replaces Graham)

RD 4 (Comp/Barwin) – Reid Caraun, DT, Princeton (gives Texans a 2nd DT for the 4-3)

RD 5 - Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU (replaces Tate)

RD 6 - Ronald Powell, OLB, Florida (fills a hole)

RD 6 (Comp/Quin) - Greg Blair, ILB Cincinnati (replaces Sharpton/Mays)

RD 7 – Brandon Dixon, CB, Northwest Missouri State

Last edited:
Good stuff. Nice clean format and easy to understand.

No digs at all, I really like what you've done, just my 2 cents...

1. Arian Foster will be our RB and he will be ready to go (you have ?)
2. I believe OD gets cut as a cap casualty
3. You know very well TB was making those reads & calls at the line too, it's all good though and I like Bortles. I won't turn this into another TB vs BB thread.
4. I assume we get Romeo Crennel at this point and remain a 3-4
5. I really think we use a high pick (2 or 3) on Best Avail OLB and move Brooks Reed inside
6. Good Stuff

Good stuff. Nice clean format and easy to understand.

No digs at all, I really like what you've done, just my 2 cents...

1. Arian Foster will be our RB and he will be ready to go (you have ?) ? is because of back surgery and Tate a FA.

2. I believe OD gets cut as a cap casualty

3. You know very well TB was making those reads & calls at the line too, it's all good though and I like Bortles. I won't turn this into another TB vs BB thread.I do not know this for a fact, Fiesta Bowl announcers said they were told this specifically by O'Leary and Taaffe.

4. I assume we get Romeo Crennel at this point and remain a 3-4 Crennel ran quite a bit of 4-3 when at NE and CLE. BO'B says they will run both.

5. I really think we use a high pick (2 or 3) on Best Avail OLB and move Brooks Reed inside

6. Good Stuff

Thanks!

Texian,how much do you get on your income tax for claiming bortles? Lol

I disagree with a lot of the reasoning he uses to back Bortles, but with that said, he seems to truly think Bortles is the best QB in this draft and I take absolutely no issue with that.

If O'Brien thinks the same, and drafts Bortles, I am 100% behind the pick.

i would be ecstatic if jernigan is available in the 2nd but i think he goes in the 1st round

Same here, I have him as a top 15 player. Regardless, good mock. I like Powell and he isn't a name I have heard people talk about around here. I also like Hill, but no more than most of the other running backs slotted to go in the mid-late rounds. I still need to catch up on Bortles tape but wouldn't be upset from what I have seen thus far.

i would be ecstatic if jernigan is available in the 2nd but i think he goes in the 1st round

Same here, I have him as a top 15 player. Regardless, good mock. I like Powell and he isn't a name I have heard people talk about around here. I also like Hill, but no more than most of the other running backs slotted to go in the mid-late rounds. I still need to catch up on Bortles tape but wouldn't be upset from what I have seen thus far.

Yes I was also conflicted with Jernigan and did vacillate several times putting Timmy at #33. A couple of sites I respect have Nix, Tuitt and Hageman ahead of Jernigan and Jernigan ranked between #s 30-40. If Nix, Hageman and Tuitt do go before Jernigan then there is a good chance Timmy could fall to #33. My #33 B, C & D picks are Aaron Donald, Will Sutton, Ego Ferguson. Personally I think Jernigan goes before Hageman and Tuitt. If 4 QBs go in RD 1 that tells me there will be a nice surprise (slip) at #33.

Last edited:
I seen Jernigan is becoming a fave, but I think DaQuan Jones is more like our guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bortles with the 1.1? like the picks but would hate to use the 1st overall on him. he would absolutely have to kill it at the combine and pro day. one huge hole though, rt? the rt free agents suck. huge hole that needs to get plugged.

oh. just saw you had rt filled with our current roster. good overall then.

Solid

I would like it better if Texans take Bortles #4 & use 26th pick on a more offensive TE Eric Ebron or Amaro. To be successful early he will need more offensive help. Then Timmy Jernigan to help revamp DL. See Chris Smith more as OLB (in Clowney mold) so would like to resign Antonio Smith, quality depth here is simply too valuable, why give that up when he wants to stay here & fans love him. OT in 4th since TE already addressed plus Fiedorowicz won't last that long. Any guesses here, it should be addressed in some shape or form? Caraun would be solid but maybe Crennell might fall in love with Louisiana Tech DT Justin Ellis (6-2, 351) in Shrine? Like taking RB here & Hill is a good one. Really like speed edge rusher, great pick I would buy his jersey if selected, hint hint. Blair has some serious thug'ness about him, brings a raw physical presence. last but not least (7th) a big small school corner, could he be the next Richard Sherman? I don't know but 6-0 197 & runs a 4.57 isn't too shabby (Sherman 6-2 195 4.54 http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-sherman-im-proof-the-draft-process-is-a-sham).

Pretty damn impressive with just a couple tweaks :wesmantexanfan:

Bortles coach and coordinator have said that they have enough confidence in Blake because he has shown the intelligence to let him make his own reads and calls and I am not sure any other college QB today has those options available.

Huh?? You may as well be describing Bridgewater right here. Pro style offense, reads the D at the line and has full responsibility for play calling and audibles. He's been doing it at least 2 years.

I really like CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa for this offense. I am also thinking fourth round for him. He looks a little stiff on tape but that might just be because of his height. Hope he doesn't put to good of numbers up at the combine.

I really like CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa for this offense. I am also thinking fourth round for him. He looks a little stiff on tape but that might just be because of his height. Hope he doesn't put to good of numbers up at the combine.

I think his best attribute is his blocking ability, something the Texans have been missing since Joel Dreessen departed. The Texans have never replaced that part of their offense. By all accounts this is something that O'Brien likes in his TEs.

Some picks I would've gone a different way. But I like your reasoning. Love the Jernigan, Fiedo/Hill picks. Do you really think they are going to a 4-3? I see more of a hybrid 3-4, which Smith should be a good fit.

Good job

Some picks I would've gone a different way. But I like your reasoning. Love the Jernigan, Fiedo/Hill picks. Do you really think they are going to a 4-3? I see more of a hybrid 3-4, which Smith should be a good fit.

Good job

Thanks, I did this mock based on Texans current depth chart. Personally I would like Sefarian-Jenkins or Aaron Donald in RD 2, Attaochu in 3 and Billy Turner in 4. I don't know how you discount Brennan Williams and Quessenberry without them really putting a foot on the field.

Crennel has a history with both the 4-3 and the 3-4. History has shown that Crennel appears partial to the 3-4 when he has a 2 gap NT. Wilfork, Washington, Poe

Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton - The well-built Ivy Leaguer proved with a competitive week of practice that he was every bit the talent as the more well-known prospects he was facing each snap. He capped off the week with sacks on back to back plays during the game, showing the lateral burst and closing speed to project nicely as a three-technique defensive tackle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...rns-dee-ford-headlines-list-of-risers-fallers

He looked good. I really have him as a push with Chris Jones who Texans drafted last year in 6th then cut. picked up by Patriots.

Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton - The well-built Ivy Leaguer proved with a competitive week of practice that he was every bit the talent as the more well-known prospects he was facing each snap. He capped off the week with sacks on back to back plays during the game, showing the lateral burst and closing speed to project nicely as a three-technique defensive tackle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...rns-dee-ford-headlines-list-of-risers-fallers

sucks for the Texans. I was really hoping he could find a home here.

Back