Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texian drafts VS Nick Caserio drafts

If they play well I'm quite certain the McNair's/Caserio will find a way to get them paid. What I worry about is Stroud being a good but not great QB and getting paid like a top tier QB after yr 3. You know DM will be back at the trough if Stroud only performs at a good level. Just like DM did with Murray and look at the shape that franchise is in since they did the Murray deal. I could see Cal's greedy impatient azz suffering the same fate.

That is a concern with any drafted QB.

Arizona was dumb. If you have to put into a contract that you have to stay off the Xbox than you shouldn’t be writing that contract.

Having a top LT and an ascending Offensive Line lets you actually evaluate your QB. There won't be the reasoning of "Well his line sucked and he got Carr'd" if he ends up being bad. You build the OL. The receiving and RB positions are better than last year. The WR position needs improvement but it is better than last year. Would I have drafted Stroud? Probably not. However, you have to put him in a position where there are absolutely no questions concerning the positions surrounding him. If you don't do this you end up with "Mills would be just fine if he had better talent surrounding him" Which actually may be true. We will never know.

So what you're saying is you could trade Tunsil for more than a 1 and a 2?
Hell yes you could.. but why would you?

Are we cap strapped: No

Even if you're under the belief that Tunsil is overpaid.. we'll end up paying exponentially more if our QB washes out.. give that guy his best chance to succeed. I don't give a crap about Tunsil's cap hit, because we have a QB on his rookie deal, so it doesn't really matter. If CJ works out you have 5 years to find a cheaper replacement at that position before it effects the cap.

If CJ doesn't work out, guess what.. We can re-up Tunsil again with another highly drafted QB on a rookie deal and that QB will still have a high level blind side protector before the money starts to matter.

Trading a elite LT when you don't have to is just stupid.. The Laramy Tunsil trade might be the only good thing butt chin ever did. They are literally worth their weight in gold, because if you don't have one.. you can never truly evaluate or develop your high investment at QB.

Last edited:
Yep, he isn't playing Michigan anymore.

Oh wait.....

LMAO.. I Remember Florida fans saying the same exact same **** about Manning..

When Manning reached the NFL, the Gators didn't play.. Michigan doesn't play on Sundays either. All I know is Manning's college struggles against Florida didn't prevent him from whipping our and everyone else's ass in the NFL.

LMAO.. I Remember Florida fans saying the same exact same **** about Manning..

When Manning reached the NFL, the Gators didn't play.. Michigan doesn't play on Sundays either. All I know is Manning's college struggles against Florida didn't prevent him from whipping our and everyone else's ass in the NFL.

Everybody but Brady's.

BTW Stroud's just like Manning. SMH

Top 5 would be tough, so many good QBs out there these days. I’d be happy if Stroud could land in the top 10 or be another Stafford (I’ve always rated him). Personally I believe we can win it with that

I think his high end comp is Joe Burrow while his low end comp is Jared Goff.

If he can learn to deal with pressure at the next level, be it through coaching, reps, whatever, then he can look a lot like Burrow. A guy who can strike any part of the field accurately, who can create time in and out of the pocket, and a guy who can get some spare yards with his legs when the time suits. If he can't develop against pressure then he'll look like Goff. A guy who when things are clean can play effectively and manage an offense with his arm talent but with a clear ceiling, but when things get muddy will have bad days at the office and the offense will go just as far as those days. I also believe that improving against pressure will do great things for his confidence and leadership, also traits that Burrow obviously has in bundles versus Goff.

I was hesitant on selecting Stroud because I've feared the latter. That said his potential is clearly evident and I'm all in now in putting trust in DeMeco and Slowick to have liked what they saw in him and to trust them to coach up what they certainly believe they can. I'm legitimately hopeful.

If he can learn to deal with pressure at the next level,
Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Roethlisberger they all suck when they are pressured, especially coming straight up the middle.

What we need is for him to nut up when the game is on the line. Even if he just gave 100% on the last drive & he has nothing left. If the defense rolls over & gives up a TD in 8 seconds, he’s got to find it in him to do it again.

Last edited:
Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Roethlisberger they all suck when they are pressured, especially coming straight up the middle.

What we need is for him to but up when the game is on the line. Even if he just gave 100% on the last drive & he has nothing left. If the defense rolls over & gives up a TD in 8 seconds, he’s got to find it in him to do it again.

I never said, nor implied, that pressure doesn't affect all QBs. The notion is the degree to with which it does, and how often.

What we need is for him to but up when the game is on the line. Even if he just gave 100% on the last drive & he has nothing left. If the defense rolls over & gives up a TD in 8 seconds, he’s got to find it in him to do it again.

This.

What we see from Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow is if the ball is in their hands at the end of the game they can/will score.

That is something I, and probably you as well said they needed to see from Mills. He never brought it. Move on.

A QB has to be able to score last possession. Make miracle plays. If your QB can’t do that then you are going to have a bad time in the playoffs and be searching for another QB.

Stroud has to show he can be that guy. Game on the line can he carry that pressure? He showed promise against Georgia. Let’s see what happens in the NFL.

That is something I, and probably you as well said they needed to see from Mills. He never brought it. Move on.
No. All I needed was for Mills to play smart. I had no illusions about who he was. Last two years were about laying a foundation. I didn’t need him to play hero ball & try to win the game
A QB has to be able to score last possession.
sht happens. But he needs to score when the game is tied. He needs to rally the troops and score when they are behind. He needs to make every body on the team believe they’re going to win the game on the next play. Whether it’s the 1st Qtr or OT.

Make miracle plays. If your QB can’t do that then you are going to have a bad time in the playoffs and be searching for another QB.
I’m not really looking for miracles. We’re going to lose a lot of games this season. He just needs to make everyone in Texans nation believe better days are coming & coming soon.

Top 5 would be tough, so many good QBs out there these days. I’d be happy if Stroud could land in the top 10 or be another Stafford (I’ve always rated him). Personally I believe we can win it with that

Probably 8 of the top 10 QBs are in the AFC and most of them are under 30. Top 10 or not the Texans are going to need to be a pretty complete team to get and go far in the playoffs.

Ballard did the one thing that gets most GMs fired, he drafted potential. If Richardson doesn't pan out Ballard is a goner.
All gms draft on potential whether its qb or de. What is Nolan Smith or Lukas Van Ness other than potential. Walker last year was also potential because he lacked production. GMs are looked for traits that with coach can translate to the nfl.

This says more about the job Telesco hasn't done.

BL has discussed Telesco and where the Chargers are headed with me. He' not been impressed. Chiefs have Mahomes and have been better drafting than the Chargers have been
You want to talk about cheap owners, that's the chargers to a T. We're going to also act like they didn't give up a huge lead vs Jags either.

I think his high end comp is Joe Burrow while his low end comp is Jared Goff.

If he can learn to deal with pressure at the next level, be it through coaching, reps, whatever, then he can look a lot like Burrow. A guy who can strike any part of the field accurately, who can create time in and out of the pocket, and a guy who can get some spare yards with his legs when the time suits. If he can't develop against pressure then he'll look like Goff. A guy who when things are clean can play effectively and manage an offense with his arm talent but with a clear ceiling, but when things get muddy will have bad days at the office and the offense will go just as far as those days. I also believe that improving against pressure will do great things for his confidence and leadership, also traits that Burrow obviously has in bundles versus Goff.

I was hesitant on selecting Stroud because I've feared the latter. That said his potential is clearly evident and I'm all in now in putting trust in DeMeco and Slowick to have liked what they saw in him and to trust them to coach up what they certainly believe they can. I'm legitimately hopeful.

The one thing Stroud has proven….he can hit his receivers while making few mistakes. Texans chore, make sure their OL can get the job done so receivers can get open quickly on slants and move the chains. I believe the Texans have the pieces needed for a better than average OL.

Hell yes you could.. but why would you?

Are we cap strapped: No

Even if you're under the belief that Tunsil is overpaid.. we'll end up paying exponentially more if our QB washes out.. give that guy his best chance to succeed. I don't give a crap about Tunsil's cap hit, because we have a QB on his rookie deal, so it doesn't really matter. If CJ works out you have 5 years to find a cheaper replacement at that position before it effects the cap.

If CJ doesn't work out, guess what.. We can re-up Tunsil again with another highly drafted QB on a rookie deal and that QB will still have a high level blind side protector before the money starts to matter.

Trading a elite LT when you don't have to is just stupid.. The Laramy Tunsil trade might be the only good thing butt chin ever did. They are literally worth their weight in gold, because if you don't have one.. you can never truly evaluate or develop your high investment at QB.
Yeah, never understood trading just to trade especially an elite position who is still young and great at what he does. If the Duane Brown thing wouldn’t have gotten out of control, the Tunsil trade never happens and the oline wouldn’t have went in shambles. He'll, if the team would've just kept Ben Jones and the right tackle, the oline would've been good. Instead of trotting out Davenport, Martin, X, and them dudes.

Instead of trotting out Davenport, Martin, X, and them dudes.
The Texans went through a stretch of poor talent evaluation and even poorer development in regards to the offensive line. The kind of thing that can bite an organization in the arse, and did. Now, the O-line will go through another schematic transformation. It's not as obvious as the QB position, but the offensive line development may be the key to changing the fortunes of this franchise.

You want to talk about cheap owners, that's the chargers to a T. We're going to also act like they didn't give up a huge lead vs Jags either.
Historically yes. Spanos bought all in when Telesco drafted Herbert, he was slow to pull trigger firing Anthony Lynn (could have been similar to what happened with Texans/Rooney rule) then hired a defensive first time head coach, who hired experienced OC but not the right OC for Herbert.

Compounded with train wreck of injuries both sides of the ball. No cap room because he went all in on mega deals for their All Pro players and still yet to extend Herbert. Chargers now have the right OC. Have fixed their OL. Staley has hopefully learned by fire what to do and not do so game management improved, barring injuries, a contending AFC team.

We gotta hope about Slowik that he is Strouds Kellen Moore (right man for the job)? Don’t have enough talent yet but have definitely turned the corner and will legitimately give teams a battle. If Ryans rocks this defense as expected, with salary space next year as well, McNair too will go all in.

Ain't been a McNair scared to spend money. Their biggest problem has been not having the right people to tell him who to spend the money on. I'm not convinced Nick is that guy, but I like what he's done so far in FA this offseason.

Differentiation; spending to maintain NFL guidelines (Caserio) vs spending all in to contend (DeMeco).

Ain't been a McNair scared to spend money. Their biggest problem has been not having the right people to tell him who to spend the money on. I'm not convinced Nick is that guy, but I like what he's done so far in FA this offseason.
Never a question about Cal spending the money. No doubt Cal will spend money, but like most trust fund kids, he doesn't know the value of a dollar and spends money foolishly.

Back