Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texas A&M extends Mike Sherman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texas A&M is bumping football coach Mike Sherman's salary up to $2.2 million annually and adding a year to the four remaining on his contract.

Sherman is getting a $400,000 raise per year effective Sept. 1, the school said Friday. He's completed three of the seven years on his existing contract.

The extension also includes two years of university options which could extend it through 2018.

It makes Sherman the fourth-highest paid coach in the Big 12.

Sherman led the Aggies to a 9-4 season and a 41-24 Cotton Bowl loss to LSU in 2010. His career record in three seasons at A&M is 19-19.

The Aggies open their 2011 season at home Sept. 4 against SMU.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/6794263/texas-extends-mike-sherman-deal

I can't believe they are doing this now, as opposed to waiting for him to do well for more than one season. Sounds a bit like Charlie Weis to me...

Yeah this makes absolutely zero sense. I really don't understand. I mean maybe if he had won the bowl game and truly seemed on the rise, but the guy got his ass handed to him by Les Miles.

Haha, your post actually made me chuckle.

In all seriousness, I think Sherman is doing an incredible job at A&M. He's completely changed the culture of that football program from when Franchione ran it into the ground. They're getting quality players and coaches with good character, guys that are very hard working. They've made huge strides on getting players to go to class and do well in school. Their graduation rates are steadily increasing. That takes time and now with all of that, they're finally starting to see success on the field. A&M has some really good players now and I think this is the beginning of some real big success for that program. They've also done a ton of work upgrading the the facilities with the addition of the Bright Complex which is top notch. Sherman has this master plan for building a quasi mini-community there at the stadium for the football players to be at almost 24/7. Apparently Sherman made the first donation towards it and it was substantial. He's putting his money where his mouth is.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_R
Haha, your post actually made me chuckle.

In all seriousness, I think Sherman is doing an incredible job at A&M. He's completely changed the culture of that football program from when Franchione ran it into the ground. They're getting quality players and coaches with good character, guys that are very hard working. They've made huge strides on getting players to go to class and do well in school. Their graduation rates are steadily increasing. That takes time and now with all of that, they're finally starting to see success on the field. A&M has some really good players now and I think this is the beginning of some real big success for that program. They've also done a ton of work upgrading the the facilities with the addition of the Bright Complex which is top notch. Sherman has this master plan for building a quasi mini-community there at the stadium for the football players to be at almost 24/7. Apparently Sherman made the first donation towards it and it was substantial. He's putting his money where his mouth is.

I love aggie optimism. Always good for a laugh.

They also gave DeRuyter a raise.

He's going to get a head coaching gig soon, A&M has got to keep him as long as possible. He'll sure earn that money if they can find a replacement for Von Miller, what a loss he will be!

No kidding. I'm just disappointed we did this because I would have LOVED to see us be the ones to give DeRuyter a chance as a head coach. That guy is a gamer. Hell, maybe they will pay him like a head coach and be able to keep him. A man can dream right?

I love aggie optimism. Always good for a laugh.

billy-dee-lol-he-mad.jpg

No, I've just read the same Aggie story line every off season for 15 years. This is the year! We're closing the gap with Texas! National championship here we come! Jerrod Johnson for heisman!"

Just utterly ridiculous.

Before the ags start chest pumping, shouldn't they win a bowl game, or have a 10 win season? Shouldn't they play in a single big game without completely shitting the bed?

No, I've just read the same Aggie story line every off season for 15 years. This is the year! We're closing the gap with Texas! National championship here we come! Jerrod Johnson for heisman!"

Just utterly ridiculous.

Before the ags start chest pumping, shouldn't they win a bowl game, or have a 10 win season? Shouldn't they play in a single big game without completely shitting the bed?

Or beat Texas Tech?? Has that even happened yet?

Or beat Texas Tech?? Has that even happened yet?

It's happened, but going off pure memory here, I'm pretty sure Tech has gotten the best of the ags more often than not over the past 6 or 8 years.

Hell, before last years game against Oklahoma or Nebraska, A&M hadn't won a televised game in like 4 years.

I'm far from saying Texas A&M is going to win the National Championship this year or next year. All I'm saying is Sherman has rebuilt that program from nothing. Obviously this has to continue to reflect with W's on the field. I think Sherman is building the program to where A&M was in the mid-80's to mid-90's era. They weren't ever national champions but they were a damn good team.

Closing the regular season with 6 straight wins, including Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas? That was really good. They just gotta keep it up. Putting in stock terms, this would be a stock I would hold on to because I think it's going to be a quality buy and the value will go up.

Just utterly ridiculous.

I think you fail to realize that of the two Aggies in this thread, neither of us thought it was a good idea to extend Sherman at this time. Nor are we 'chest pumping' about this season in this thread. I realize there are plenty of other Aggie websites that do that to no end cough***Texag*******cough, but not all of us are without tempered expectations based on reality. Ole Miss obviously thinks highly of the program, but there was no over the top rhetoric in his response it was mostly about potential. So how bout you take it down a notch and try to engage in discussion rather than jumping to conclusions?

I think you fail to realize that of the two Aggies in this thread, neither of us thought it was a good idea to extend Sherman at this time. Nor are we 'chest pumping' about this season in this thread. I realize there are plenty of other Aggie websites that do that to no end cough***Texag*******cough, but not all of us are without tempered expectations based on reality. Ole Miss obviously thinks highly of the program, but there was no over the top rhetoric in his response it was mostly about potential. So how bout you take it down a notch and try to engage in discussion rather than jumping to conclusions?

Whats to engage in when aggies are full of delusion. What, you want me to tell you that the hopes of returning to 80s and 90s glory is absurd? Fine, I'll tell you. The defensive recruiting over the past decade has been absolutely terrible.

Nebraska was playing a freshman QB. Texas was having its worst year in 15 years. Oklahoma I'll give credit for. But still, anything worse than 2-1 in that stretch would have embarrassing.

And the ags did not finish the season winning 6 straight. They got curb stomped in the bowl game, by a LSU team without a QB.

It's happened, but going off pure memory here, I'm pretty sure Tech has gotten the best of the ags more often than not over the past 6 or 8 years.

Yeah, we lost 4 years in a row to them from 05-08 during Mike Leach's haydays. Now that he's gone, I expect Tech to stay down for a while, as I don't think Tuberville will take them very far.

Hell, before last years game against Oklahoma or Nebraska, A&M hadn't won a televised game in like 4 years.

Where do you even get that idea? If you limit it to nationally televised games, yeah I would guess so, but I know I have watched them win games on FSN over the last 4 years.

Whats to engage in when aggies are full of delusion. What, you want me to tell you that the hopes of returning to 80s and 90s glory is absurd? Fine, I'll tell you. The defensive recruiting over the past decade has been absolutely terrible.

I dunno, I guess you'll have to take that up with Ole Miss. I'm in more of a 'I'll believe it when I see it' mode, the same way I approach the Texans. As for the recruiting, yeah it has been pretty bad in the last 8 years, but they are turning it around with what may be a top 10 recruiting class this year. Last year we won that OU game with some impressive defensive stands, something I had never seen from the Aggies before (I was in school from 03-07). It was great to see, but it wasn't accomplished with a top 5 recruiting base, I think it had a lot more to do with a great coach getting the most out of his players.

Nebraska was playing a freshman QB. Texas was having its worst year in 15 years. Oklahoma I'll give credit for. But still, anything worse than 2-1 in that stretch would have embarrassing.

Ok, but the Aggies went 3-0 and performed well up until the LSU game. It was a great season for the program after 4+ years of total crap under Franchione. It's exciting to know that our team will finally be competitive in the Big 12 for the upcoming season, but I have no delusions about it. I fully expect us to lose @ OU and probably either to OSU or Arky, but I'll be rooting for them regardless of what I think of their opponents. If I was a betting man, I would take the under on a 10 win season, but I'll be damn proud if they pull off 10-2.

And the ags did not finish the season winning 6 straight. They got curb stomped in the bowl game, by a LSU team without a QB.

Nice, calling people you have barely interacted with 'delusional', but you can't even read their posts correctly. Here, I'll highlight the portion of Ole Miss's post that you decided to ignore.

Closing the regular season with 6 straight wins, including Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas? That was really good. They just gotta keep it up. Putting in stock terms, this would be a stock I would hold on to because I think it's going to be a quality buy and the value will go up.

Cool, thanks man.

I think it will be very tough for A&M to win their conference like they did during that time but I can see 9 and 10 win season (2 and 3 loss seasons) becoming more of the norm for them and finishing ranked in the Teens. It's not like A&M ever played for the National Championship during that era and that's not what I'm anticipating here. I just think Sherman is building the program (I never said it's there right this second), to be that 9,10 win per season program and consistently go to good bowl games. Play the SEC every year in the Cotton Bowl.

If this past season is any indication, it looks fairly similar. 9-3 season with a loss in the bowl game. Their winning percenage in the bowl games during that time was like 33%.

My apologies for being so delusional.

c10 and tex are maaaaaaaadddddd about something and I'm not sure what it is.

also, yes, we have beaten tech, and yes, we will stomp texas this year. don't make excuses for your team and nebraska for last year, we physically beat them down.

sherm is the man and deruyter is nails, though I expect him gone soon. however, we're building our program the right way and have very good defensive assistants to step up when he's gone.

I like Sherman at A&M, I think he is a good fit.

And yes, Tech has been a thorn in our side for a long time, but we have beat them the last two years.

We made some noise last year with the defense, and I would love to see the return of the wrecking crew. Aren't there yet, but moving in the right direction.

I'm a month or so late to bump this thread... and I know 36 hours before the big game I should have other things on my plate (and I do...), but just wanted to circle back.

hahahaha killer bump ******

I was wrong about the thanksgiving game, but I still love sherman and deruyter.

I'm a month or so late to bump this thread... and I know 36 hours before the big game I should have other things on my plate (and I do...), but just wanted to circle back.

Circle back to what exactly? You coming in here as a noob and calling people you barely know delusional? Are you going to apologize for being a complete jackass? If not, there's no reason for you to bump this thread.

lulz....one member calling another member a noob, when there is a four month difference in their respective sign up dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back