Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans V Steelers Game Day Thread

Lot of people hate the Steelers.
As they should, if they're from Houston. I'd bet that less than 10% of those wearing the black & gold today have actually stepped foot in Pittsburgh. I asked one guy to name one, just one of the three rivers that converge in Pittsburgh. No dice. It was nice to see those bandwagoners walk out of Reliant as losers.

Jeff Van Gundy was right in front of me entering the stadium checkpoint/friskdown. I thought he'd be taller (5'9").

I had to leave for work as Arian Foster broke the long TD run.

How happy and I guess surprised when I got to work and checked the play by play and saw sacks and intercepts in the mix.

A defense that actually makes plays.

:cow:

The Texans have a long road to hoe. But I'm still a believer.

As a Kubiak hater, I shall be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Go Texans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:texan:

The ball that Quinn batted down was a hail Mary jump ball.

The ball Allen picked was thrown to a receiver. BenRo threw the ball out front of the receiver.

Different types of situations and throws.

Not at all. You guys are reaching, just to win the argument.

Quin even had BETTER position than Allen did today. Allen did what he did while having to continue running and contorting his body to reach around and grab the ball. Quin was stopped, turned, and facing the ball...but he chose to bat it down.

Once again: What the hell does it matter if it's a hail mary or a deep pass? In both situations, it could be BALL GAME if the defender does not intervene.

You guys are trying to come up with all these scenarios as to when it's right or wrong to do certain things. Let PLAYERS PLAY. It's what they do, and it's the attitude Wade Phillips is promoting here. And they love it.

You will sit here, and watch the replay of Quin batting the ball down, and you will tell me that it was better than him catching it?

Is that correct? That's what you're saying?

I will defend the theology of it, but that play in practice was not executed correctly. It's a fallacy to say that because the play turned out poorly, the idea behind it is incorrect as well.

This is not about rubbing it into the opponent and "getting another possession." This is about ending the game.

I agree. And both plays would end the game. You bat the ball down, it becomes near impossible to catch it. Again, don't talk about the end result, I'm saying in theory, changing the trajectory of the ball at that point of its flight is extremely difficult to make a play on. I also agree that catching the ball would end the game. Both plays end the game. To disagree is to only look at the result of the play and condemn the idea based solely on that.

Today, the CRAPPY COACHING of "You need to bat that ball down" is erased. It was sent packing with David Gibbs who is atrocious and was an outcast from the Chiefs who couldn't do anything there before coming here. It was erased when we got BALLERS like Manning and Joseph who don't subscribe to this idea of batting down passes when you can catch them.

I don't understand how you can ignore what we're saying. I am far from saying that players shouldn't go for interceptions. I am saying that depending on the situation, mentality should change. I don't think players should be content with batting down the ball defensively. UNLESS. Big unless here. Unless the outcome remains the same.

In Quin's case, batting down teh ball and intercepting the ball (if done properly) would both end in the same result: a win. Why attempt an interception, a more difficult play, over batting it down? If you don't believe batting it down is easier, then I suppose we have another disagreement, and again, I do believe batting it down versus catching it depends on situation. If it's lofting there, and you're isolated, by all means, catch it. But when you're surrounded by other players jockeying for position, all intent on getting that ball, I'm not so sure.

Can you not see the difference? Last year, hardly any interceptions. This year, it's gone through the roof in only four weeks. Different coaches, different players in the secondary, and you've got a whole different way of approaching deep passes.

I can't stand the idea that batting down a ball is preferable to catching it. It rages against the very idea of defending and stopping an offense. There is ZERO situation where a defender should be coached to bat a ball down rather than catch it if he's under it and can catch it. Let players PLAY.

So...on fourth and 30 surrounded by offensive players, you'd like the defensive player to intercept it? I'd bat it down and get the free yardage.

Let. It. Go.

We're winners!

It's hard to let it go.

To be relentlessly criticized, and called names, and then to watch my IDEAS/OPINIONS be proven true in game situations (the so-called evidence they wanted me to provide) is satisfying.

And people don't like that. But oh well. I don't coach ball for a living, but I still have the ability to see what works and what doesn't.

The "bat a ball down" method is faulty and the Quin incident, IMO, was the water shed moment in football that I think has made EVERY team wake up and realize you don't let a football ricochet around in a crowd.

So...on fourth and 30 surrounded by offensive players, you'd like the defensive player to intercept it? I'd bat it down and get the free yardage.

I can't believe you would even posit the idea that a defender should bat a ball when he's surrounded by WRs.

Screw field position possibilities. I want ZERO chance that it will bounce into a WR's hands. You do realize that IF you are surrounded by WRs, and it's 4th and 30, that means it's a potential 30+ yard gain (they're trying to get a fresh set of downs, correct?) and very realistically it could be a TD if a WR catches a ricochet with fellow WRs standing there waiting to block the defender as the other WR runs with the ball to the end zone.

I don't want a defender batting a ball down. I want turnovers. I want my DBs owning the air space, trying to catch the ball and maybe even earning OFFENSIVE pass interference if a WR freaks out and tries to out-maneuver my DB for the ball.

This is a funny conversation. We have ballers, playing ball, and yet it's more logical to deflect a ball rather than secure it and give it back to your offense to burn clock and end a game. LOL.

By the way, The Cush in post #14 of another thread had this gem to offer:

It was funny watching the replay of Joseph's non pick 6. Quin is trailing him the whole time, yelling and pointing for him to go to the ground even as he's crossing the goal line.

Folks, it's time to stop buying the Texans time-honored system of "cover one another's ass after bad days on the field." This shows that Quin has no "immediate moment" skills when it comes to decision-making skills.

Who begs a guy to go down before scoring a TD? WHILE THE GUY IS CROSSING THE GOAL LINE?

:vincepalm:

Folks, it's time to stop buying the Texans time-honored system of "cover one another's ass after bad days on the field." This shows that Quin has no "immediate moment" skills when it comes to decision-making skills.

Who begs a guy to go down before scoring a TD? WHILE THE GUY IS CROSSING THE GOAL LINE?

Is it really that silly? There was 1:02 seconds left on the clock. You kneel, then victory formation three times and that's game. I'm honestly curious: you can take the TD, which puts you up by two scores, but a kick return or a quick score followed by onside kick miracle could end up *******ing you, right? I dunno, in 20/20 hindsight all the time, I'd say kneel...

Is it really that silly? There was 1:02 seconds left on the clock. You kneel, then victory formation three times and that's game. I'm honestly curious: you can take the TD, which puts you up by two scores, but a kick return or a quick score followed by onside kick miracle could end up *******ing you, right? I dunno, in 20/20 hindsight all the time, I'd say kneel...

You probably wear four condoms when having sex, too.

Do you see your pattern, buddyboy??? SAFETY FIRST!

I want my DBs catching footballs and scoring TDs. You want them deflecting footballs and falling down when they have a TD right in their lap.

[/THREAD]

[/DEBATE ON THIS TOPIC]

Thank you for helping me prove my point. People are going to think I have two accounts here, btw.

I can't believe you would even posit the idea that a defender should bat a ball when he's surrounded by WRs.

Screw field position possibilities. I want ZERO chance that it will bounce into a WR's hands. You do realize that IF you are surrounded by WRs, and it's 4th and 30, that means it's a potential 30+ yard gain (they're trying to get a fresh set of downs, correct?) and very realistically it could be a TD if a WR catches a ricochet with fellow WRs standing there waiting to block the defender as the other WR runs with the ball to the end zone.

I don't want a defender batting a ball down. I want turnovers. I want my DBs owning the air space, trying to catch the ball and maybe even earning OFFENSIVE pass interference if a WR freaks out and tries to out-maneuver my DB for the ball.

This is a funny conversation. We have ballers, playing ball, and yet it's more logical to deflect a ball rather than secure it and give it back to your offense to burn clock and end a game. LOL.

I meant surrounded in the sense that he wouldn't get a return possibility. And, yes, you always want turnovers. But in the situation I am presenting, and the one that we saw with Glover, the turnover doesn't matter. On fourth down, you'll get the turnover anyway.

On another note, have you seen WRs miss catches when the ball is deflected even sligthly? I maintain that changing the trajectory that much that quickly is 99% of the time an incompletion

Defensive players get paid to defend. Most defensive backs don't have stick-um hands. That's why wide recievers get paid big bucks. Because catching those balls while being jostled around and having players in your face is not easy. Just today we saw Heath Miller catch a ball lying on the ground because our defensive players tipped it into the air trying to force a turnover. Sh*t happens. Defensive players bobble catches. They get stripped on returns.

When the possible gain is greater than it would be playing it safe, yes, intercept the ball. When there's no difference?

You probably wear four condoms when having sex, too.

Do you see your pattern, buddyboy??? SAFETY FIRST!

I want my DBs catching footballs and scoring TDs. You want them deflecting footballs and falling down when they have a TD right in their lap.

[/THREAD]

[/DEBATE ON THIS TOPIC]

Thank you for helping me prove my point. People are going to think I have two accounts here, btw.

Sorry for bringing logic here, i should have known better. Both end in a win, guess we should always go for flashiness.

Just for fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3fVn8TE2XM

bandwagon jumper fans our not i would love to see the texans Fanbase travel like that ....oneday

i think that towl thing is really lame but it does make them standout IMO show good coordnation has well IMO

WE could bring out our towels but they come in like 3 different colors Red white and blue LOL and now pink i guess

Just today we saw Heath Miller catch a ball lying on the ground because our defensive players tipped it into the air trying to force a turnover. Sh*t happens.

(Sigh)

I freaking give up. You're impossible.

Re-watch that play. That play is 180-degrees out of phase with what we are talking about here. 180-degrees.

And you don't think DBs have good hands? You are stretching things big time.

312191_10150344892913675_809533674_8049104_1671154920_n.jpg

rofl

Back