Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Twitter - Rick Smith

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Some interesting things being said by Rick Smith right now - Link

Smith: will meet with DeMeco Ryans' agent this weekend

Smith: despite CBA uncertainty, approaching contracts as business as usual

Smith: Pollard did heckuva job, I was proud of his impact, met with his agent last night, added a new dimension to defense,

Smith: we didn't realize our goals of making playoffs, but we continued to improve

Smith: K. Walter a big part of team, we would like to have him back, said that to his agent

Smith: not depleted at CB, but still looking to add quality players

Smith: important to get another CB now that Robinson is gone, but Texans have great CBs in Quin and McCain and Reeves

Smith: RB is a position where you can get early production from younger players

Smith: entertaining idea and thought process of adding Tomlinson

LOL on McClain on the last one.

Here's some of the good stuff:

we didn't blow the coin toss, the league had a coin with logos on both sides

entertaining idea and thought process of adding Tomlinson. RB is a position where you can get early production from younger players

important to get another CB now that Robinson is gone, but Texans have great CBs in Quin and McCain and Reeves

not depleted at CB, but still looking to add quality players

K. Walter a big part of team, we would like to have him back, said that to his agent

Pollard did heckuva job, I was proud of his impact, met with his agent last night, added a new dimension to defense,

despite CBA uncertainty, approaching contracts as business as usual

will meet with DeMeco Ryans' agent this weekend

That's awesome news, I-cak. Man, I hope he's able to strike a deal with D-Ryans agent. He deserves it!

Interesting on LT. I'm not sure how serious he is entertaining it.

That's awesome news, I-cak. Man, I hope he's able to strike a deal with D-Ryans agent. He deserves it!

Agreed, let's hope they start moving forward with signing Ryans.

Also I bet every GM (execpt the one in San Diego) has entertained the idea of LT.

Ha! Just posted this in the 2010 Combine area...

Since most of it isn't draft related I merged them here and not to have duplicate threads. We can stick draft specific stuff over there.

Who knows how serious. Heck he may be saying it just to tweak McClain.

this makes me very uncomfortable, R U kidding me :devilpig:
That's called mis-direction... I hope. Still he has said that Quin is a good starter. So he could go with Reeves #2, Quinn replacing DR and McCain at nickle. Especially if Earl Thomas is our 1st. Maybe draft a Jerome Murphy or Ansah 6'1" 205 lb 4.43 in 3rd or 4th?

I don't think it's any stretch to say they all played better then Dunta last season.

Kubiak post New England quote:
(on if CB Dunta Robinson is still a good fit with this football team, money aside) "Yeah, I think he did a heck of a job, but obviously we have many free agents on this team that we're going to have to deal with and make decisions on. Dunta came back. We put the tag on him and he missed all of training camp. We threw him out there from Week 1. The thing that I was impressed with was he got better each and every week. He was out there for his teammates every week. He might've played his best game yesterday. I thought he was very good in the game.

That's called mis-direction... I hope. Still he has said that Quin is a good starter. So he could go with Reeves #2, Quinn replacing DR and McCain at nickle. Especially if Earl Thomas is our 1st. Maybe draft a Jerome Murphy or Ansah 6'1" 205 lb 4.43 in 3rd or 4th?

What makes Earl Thomas a good 1st round pick is you know he can come in and play that nickel back position if need be while he learns the NFL game.

Just a bit more in depth from BRB who has a guy at the combine:

- Smith said that they were "evaluating" LaDainian Tomlinson, aka the normal stock answer, but when pressed by McClain, also said that "we do want young players," but that there are cases where "a veteran adds value." In other words, we're going around in circles.

- The Texans will meet with Owen Daniels' and DeMeco Ryans' representatives tonight. Smith added that his team would be approaching contracts as "business as usual" and that the potential of uncapped years and lockouts would not alter the way they go about structuring the contracts.

- The decision to get rid of Dunta Robinson was made with "level of play, level of compensation," as well as "how (we) felt about other players at that position." He went on to praise Glover Quin as doing an excellent job, and said he was comfortable with him going forward at cornerback. He also repeated the Kubiak quote about Quin getting a lot more attention if not for Brian Cushing. "We are not depleted at the position," he added. Smith also said that with Jacques Reeves being a former starter and Fred Bennett being a former starter that they think they have the experience to not feel pressured to pick a cornerback.

-The Texans would like to have Kevin Walter back, but at the same time, "with the way free agency is, you can't keep everybody."

-Smith sounded like he fully expected free agency to slow down this year with how many more RFAs there are. "I don't know how much movement you'll see." He went on to say that picks are at a premium, and are valued moreso than they were five years ago. Obviously if a player is productive, he'll get the highest tender, therefore he "doesn't know whether teams will be forthcoming," about restricted free agency.

-After he just answered a question about not dealing with hypotheticals (what if Owen Daniels was healthy the whole season?), McClain asked him what kind of attributes his ideal back would have. Smith replied: "Jim Brown." McClain: "Would he fit in your system?" Smith: "Yes, he would."

-Asked about running backs in the draft, he gave a deflective answer and said that there were "elements of both power, bruising backs...as well as speed, edge runners," and that teams would have choices either way.

-On defensive improvement last year: "We thought that with (Antonio) Smith, (Brian) Cushing, and (Bernard) Pollard, we were able to improve on each level."
http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/2/26/1327884/brb-from-nfl-combine-rick-smiths

McClain asked him what kind of attributes his ideal back would have. Smith replied: "Jim Brown." McClain: "Would he fit in your system?" Smith: "Yes, he would."

Why no John my ideal back and possibly the greatest running back of all time wouldn't fit our system.

What a tool.

What makes Earl Thomas a good 1st round pick is you know he can come in and play that nickel back position if need be while he learns the NFL game.

I want my 1st rounder to be at a level to play day one, not be a nickle back to learn the game. We are not a team that can afford to do that yet.

We are getting closer to that team but we are not that team today.

...McClain asked him what kind of attributes his ideal back would have. Smith replied: "Jim Brown." McClain: "Would he fit in your system?" Smith: "Yes, he would."

Well John, we'd have to evaluate him like any other back in our system; you know, be sure he could pick up the blitz and catch the ball out of the backfield; those types of things.
:D

Who better in the Texans org. to evaluate DB's than Rick Smith?

Look for the Texans 4th rd pick to be Mike Neal DT Purdue. I think he would be a good pick in the 4th.

We happened to get a guy that can play that went to R.Smiths alma mater.

I love how one example becomes a rule around here. One - Ahman Green. Who are all the other mythical 30 year old RBs the Texans have hired?

Chris Brown is 28 now and has been on the team 2 years. Ron Dayne is 31 now and was brought in at 27.

I think it is more of the merry go round of running backs at the end of their career regardless of age.

I love how one example becomes a rule around here. One - Ahman Green. Who are all the other mythical 30 year old RBs the Texans have hired?

Chris Brown is 28 now and has been on the team 2 years. Ron Dayne is 31 now and was brought in at 27.

You also forgot to mention that Bob McNair is cheap! :)

=Frak The Jags;1372400]From McClain's Twitter:
Texans GM Rick Smith just told us he's met with agents representing Owen Daniels, Kevin Walter and Bernard Pollard.

Walter will become an unrestricted free agent today. Ryans, Daniels and Pollard will be restricted free agents who'll be given one-year tenders.

Well we're fixing to see what the current market on a solid #2 WR in the NFL is.

My guess is that Synder will out Bid Mr. McNair.

The thing that bothers me about Ryans, is the fact that it took drafting Cushing for Ryans to find the same gear and excitement he had when he was a rookie. I agree with a "good" bump . Top five. IMHO, that would be a mistake. What was the old Stachel Page quote ? "Don't look behind you . Something might be gaining on you. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satchel_Paige

Same goes for Steve Slaton. He was on the cusp of a new contract last summer. Now he's a rookie once again. What kind of bite and what kind of fight has the little dog got ?

You forgot Antowain Smith who was 34 when Kubiak brought him in, but he was done and cut on the final roster cuts. .

You forgot Antowain Smith who was 34 when Kubiak brought him in, but he was done and cut on the final roster cuts. .

No it is just that a minimum salary never made it out of TC guy is hardly proof of the Texans bringing in over 30 RBs for big last paydays. Total aside - met Smith at Sam's Boat right after he got cut by the Patriots. Talked for about 20 minutes. Real nice guy.

McClain has a job that he doesn't do very well.

He won the lottery of jobs. He even looks like a guy who spends half his paycheck on lotto tickets.

I can't believe that he gets paid to do what he does, and the result of his work ends up being asking if Jim Brown could fit into our system.

(Sigh)

Amazing.

Why would your replace McCain with a rookie, slower free safety that might be able to play CB? I want Thomas for his safety skills. If he can later develop into a CB, great. I think I'd take Kyle Wilson heads up over Thomas @ #20.

Why would your replace McCain with a rookie, slower free safety that might be able to play CB? I want Thomas for his safety skills. If he can later develop into a CB, great. I think I'd take Kyle Wilson heads up over Thomas @ #20.
I agree. I think at CB we've been in great shape with our #2 and on. Even with Dunta... especially with Dunta. I felt we've always lacked that true #1 CB. If we can get that spot nailed down (hopefully Kyle Wilson) then we're looking great with the rest of our CB's, in my opinion.

I thought Quin was drafted really with the 3rd CB spot in mind. They thought he would excel in that role, with DR and Reeves ahead of him. He's stepped it up and I assume Reeves was outperformed to the extent Quin ended up with the starts. We've got great depth at the CB spot... assuming we find a #1. My thought is that finding another nickle corner isn't going to help us as much because we'd be bumping the very good #2/#3 CB's into the #1/#2 position where I think they would be average at best.

As far as Earl Thomas goes, I would LOVE having a FS that can come up on the line and essentially play CB. Wilson could do that, Thomas might be better. But I in no way shape or form want to draft a #3 corner in the 1st round. If Thomas is drafted, I want it do be because they think he's an elite FS. Part of that is the ability to come up on the line and cover a WR though. Finding a true #1 corner like Darrelle Revis is what would be the most help... EASIER said than done and I'm sure 31 other teams would love that player too!

I agree. I think at CB we've been in great shape with our #2 and on. Even with Dunta... especially with Dunta. I felt we've always lacked that true #1 CB. If we can get that spot nailed down (hopefully Kyle Wilson) then we're looking great with the rest of our CB's, in my opinion.

I thought Quin was drafted really with the 3rd CB spot in mind. They thought he would excel in that role, with DR and Reeves ahead of him. He's stepped it up and I assume Reeves was outperformed to the extent Quin ended up with the starts. We've got great depth at the CB spot... assuming we find a #1. My thought is that finding another nickle corner isn't going to help us as much because we'd be bumping the very good #2/#3 CB's into the #1/#2 position where I think they would be average at best.

As far as Earl Thomas goes, I would LOVE having a FS that can come up on the line and essentially play CB. Wilson could do that, Thomas might be better. But I in no way shape or form want to draft a #3 corner in the 1st round. If Thomas is drafted, I want it do be because they think he's an elite FS. Part of that is the ability to come up on the line and cover a WR though. Finding a true #1 corner like Darrelle Revis is what would be the most help... EASIER said than done and I'm sure 31 other teams would love that player too!
Exactly. My best case scenario would be to get Thomas @ #20 and Wilson or maybe Perrish Cox in round 2 if available. If Chester Pitts goes elsewhere, I will have to re-evaluate Casey Studdard. I have never felt he was that good but it seems Kubes likes him. I don't want to use a higher pick on an OG to play behind Studdard & have Newhouse in 5th.

Back