Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade Picks 47 & 78 for Phillip Buchanan

It's gonna be hard to find a reasonable guy to be selected that won't step in right away in a key spot that we need.... except Cedric Benson. Short of being a hometown guy, what do we need him for with Davis running the ball? Oh, and one of my roommates, a Bucs fan, swears that Benson's gonna be a Buc if Smith and Rodgers are both off the board.

Spears adds depth to the front 3.

Williamson gives us a badly needed #2 WR with incredible speed and is a deep threat.

Pollack or Cody adds a massive pass rusher out of the OLB spot.

Baron would sure up the LT spot for many years.

oh ye, I didnt read the other 20 pages on this topic(too long) but for those that didn't hear,the rumor was we are trading our 2nd pick and a 3rd round pick for buch

dalemurphy said:
someone you've never heard of?? I don't understand fans like you. You obviously don't pay attention to football: college or pro. It's safe to say you are not qualified to pass any judgement on any football decision that the team makes.

Someone I've never heard of. As in, I personally have never heard of him.

Did I say he's a nobody? No.

Do I wake up and go to ESPN.com and click through every article? No.

I follow the teams I care about, general NFL and NCAA news, and the guys on my fantasy team.

If you want to call me a bad football fan, then you're just ignorant.

Oh, last time I checked, the Texans didn't pay you to make their decisions, either, so you must not be very qualified, either.

Moving Babin to DE makes no sense in a 3-4. The guy broke the NCAA record for tackles for loss... He's too small to be a space eater on the line like Smith and Payne are, and like Spears would be. That'd be taking a bigtime playmaker out of a relatively natural position he excelled at last year. Drafting another undersized DE to play 3-4 end would give Capers all of the blitzing tools he ever wanted, especially for as much as we sent Dunta on the blitz at the end of the season. By adding Buchanon, I think we're just one piece closer to having the defense straight out of hell that Capers wants. I think we're still gonna be a year away from the Colts in the division, but competing for a Wild Card slot isn't out of the question by any means.

Andre_Johnson80 said:
He played LOLB in Miami he might do that for the Texans as well to incress the pass rush. They can always move Babin to the DE pos like he played in College.

O don't you worry there will be plenty of games in the doak and for years to come. Most def one of the best riverly games to watch in college football.

There are two knowns on the LB core right now--Babin will be at LOLB and Greenwood will be an ILB.

Increase the pass rush? Greenwood has 3 sacks in 4 years in the NFL. Babin had 4 in his rookie season.

prolly kept as a run stuffer, with all the smaller fast guys that will prolly be starting, we will need someone who wont let those running backs completely run through us

arm03c said:
And Kailee Wong? June 1 casuality?

Not saying anything about Wong getting cut but if Derrick Johnson were to drop to #13 then Wong would have to fight for the other ILB spot where Capers says he will play now. Similarly Peek looks to be the lead contender for ROLB, but that could change if Merriman or Ware were to drop.

Gotcha. Know that the Texans made a lot of moves and will continue to make moves this offseason to get younger and quicker, especially on defense, and I didn't know if Wong was going to be one of those moves or not.

I think if Derrick Johnson slips to 13, we'll all be doing cartwheels... I know I will be.

I really haven't seen a whole heck of a lot of Peek play. I know he's fast is supposed to be a high energy guy to help spark the D. All of this true? Scouting reports only go so far... Asking the fans that go to the games will probably give me a better idea of what we're looking at.

Having watched probably 80% of the Dolphins games over the years, I know that Morlon Greenwood is extremely fast, but at times tries to make the big play and ends up looking foolish. Also has problems trying to go around blockers instead of through them to get to the ballcarrier on rushes up the middle. If Capers and crew can get him to take on more of the blockers, he'll be a great great player.

yes peek is true to those scouting reports.

It will be truly interesting now to see the starting lineup in the opening game

Dunta, Buchanon, Earl, Deloach, Smith, Peek, Babin Greenwood... Smells like we've got ourselves a great nucleus for many many years to come.

arm03c said:
Morlon Greenwood is extremely fast, but at times tries to make the big play and ends up looking foolish.

That seems to be the consensus knock on him: not making big plays. As Cak pointed out, he only has 3 sacks in 4 years. :um:

infantrycak said:
There are two knowns on the LB core right now--Babin will be at LOLB and Greenwood will be an ILB.

Increase the pass rush? Greenwood has 3 sacks in 4 years in the NFL. Babin had 4 in his rookie season.

Greenwood can rush the passer, He just didn't have very many sacks because Jason Taylor was beating him there hahaha

Greenwood's problem with sacks is that he can't fight through two blockers. If he gets bumped by a lineman and then has to take on some form of a back, he's gonna get made lunch out of. The upside here is sending Babin, Peek, or whomever from the outside with Greenwood from the inside will likely let someone come free every now and again. Greenwood will get his plays this year, but he's gotta bulk a bit IMO.

Gonna be hard to trade down... Who wants to trade up? Someone who wants Jason Campbell? Lol. Unless the Vikings don't select Edwards or Williams with their first pick and want say, Williamson with their second, I'm not sure that trading down is going to be feasable or worth it in the long run for the price of trading down this year. We wouldn't get more than a late 2nd to move down about 10-15 picks. Now if we can get a 1st rounder NEXT year for this year's first rounder, THEN we might be in business.

arm03c said:
Greenwood's problem with sacks is that he can't fight through two blockers. If he gets bumped by a lineman and then has to take on some form of a back, he's gonna get made lunch out of. The upside here is sending Babin, Peek, or whomever from the outside with Greenwood from the inside will likely let someone come free every now and again. Greenwood will get his plays this year, but he's gotta bulk a bit IMO.

Gonna be hard to trade down... Who wants to trade up? Someone who wants Jason Campbell? Lol. Unless the Vikings don't select Edwards or Williams with their first pick and want say, Williamson with their second, I'm not sure that trading down is going to be feasable or worth it in the long run for the price of trading down this year. We wouldn't get more than a late 2nd to move down about 10-15 picks. Now if we can get a 1st rounder NEXT year for this year's first rounder, THEN we might be in business.

Crazy stuff happens on draft day, I can't wait for this weekend!!!

texan279 said:
The trolls are really coming out for this one... :listening

Indeed. Normally I try very hard not to stereotype new posters as trolls but if you had only this thread to go by you couldn't help but do it. If people don't like the trade on it's own merits that's cool. We'll know soon enough whether Casserly did good or got punked. On average he wins more of these than he loses so no worries yet. Early on I like the look of this.

Mostly I think it's early to be worried about our offseason. I never get excited about the FA signings because alone they don't tell you all that much about what the team did to improve. Once the draft wraps up you have a clearer idea but really, until you get to the June 1st cuts it's hard to say.

I don't recognize half the people on this thread and coincidentally they're the half that aren't worth reading anyway.

arm03c said:

they've got to see what positions are in that class, or else it will make us or break us

texan279 said:
Now we can trade up to take DJ or a WR and then add depth with the rest of our picks... :hmmm:
I agree! That's the whole reason Charle did it. I have a feeling we have a deal set up with the Redskins. They were after Buchanon for a few weeks now. Theres more to it, just wait and see. :thumbup

Blu said:
I agree! That's the whole reason Charle did it. I have a feeling we have a deal set up with the Redskins. They were after Buchanon for a few weeks now. Theres more to it, just wait and see. :thumbup

They aren't going to trade Buchanon to the Skins after they just traded for him.. Why would you want to trade away a game breaker and someone whos young and has talent that's cheap right now?

I think most people's problem with this trade is the same problem they had with releasing Sharper and Foreman. No immediate return - we are giving up assets to fill position where we already had decent players. Just looking at it from a fan viewpoint of the team we want next year, these moves do not make sense. However, when you factor in the cap and the fact that Casserly is still looking a couple of years down the road (or has some grand scheme), it makes sense, I hope.

By the way, PB is a talented player and fun to watch. I have had him as backup defensive player in my fantasy leagues. He is good at getting interceptions and scoring. However, he has had a tendency to get burned because he gambles. Maybe Casserly thinks he can fix that and still get the benefits. If so, PB (and Dunta) will be in the Pro Bowl for years.

Also, if Casserly was willing to give up those picks, I think he does not like the quality of player he would have drafted. So, despite the fact that I am ok with the idea of trading down and picking up Clayton or Pollack around #20, I don't think he will look for extra 2nd/3rd round picks right after giving up his own (unless he thought PB was too good to pass on). My money is on us sticking at #13.

OR - Casserly could deal Glenn and #13 to Dallas for #10.

Why it works: Dallas gets a stud CB for 2 years at a cheap price. Dallas could really use secondary help, but they need a veteran not another young player (the problem there is they have one young CB that is underperforming and one FA signee that is limited).
Also, Parcells will leave soon, Glenn gives him his best chance to win now.

As far as that goes, I would throw in Wong or a few others for picks if Dallas really wants to make a run this year.

Hey CT...saw you post in the thread. Must be tough being a Titan fan this year. You guys sure are nervous since your best signing this year was on an etch-a-sketch. Keep the faith man!

i say we are going to trade our #1 and #3 to trade up to get benson, then they can all go out and have an early dinner that night

or else get benson and trade DD for another first or second rounder

arm03c said:
DD goes for a 3rd at absolute best if we're trading him, but I don't know why we would

Ye, I was looking for just tradeing up for benson and then going to dinner, DD is just another option if we got Benson

Try to stay on-topic guys. This is getting out of hand. If you want to talk about Dom or whatever get a new thread started.

Many called me crazy. Said I didn't know what I was talking about, thought the Raiders would not give up Buchanon.......Bam!!!!! Guess who's coming to Texas! I stated months ago that the Texans love AG like the rest of us, but they want youth and another physical corner on the opposite side of Robinson. This will enable the Texans to shut down on both sides of the field, go man-to-man more often and explore more safety and ILB blitz schemes. With Capers being a product of Pittsburgh, this is how the Steelers run their defenses. You have to have at least two physical corners to jam receivers and play man-to-man coverage to be successful AG is slipping a bit. Adding Greenwood adds a tremendous amount of speed in the middle, and another LB who can get back into different schemes. Peek will become a nightmare on the weak side, and Babin will be steady! This "D" will be ranked in the top 10 easily! Now look for the Texans to move down in the draft and pick up Clayton! Not as fast as the WR from South Carolina, but a better playmaker after the catch! :woot

actually, if we give oak the 3rd we got from the drew henson trade, really its only a second and a 6th, and for a young quality starting cornerback, thats a pretty darn good price. considering our success rate in the 2nd round isnt exactly top notch (threads elsewhere), thats a good deal in my books. :thumbup

Got this on ESPN Insider, looks like we are getting Williamson.....maybe

PLAYER INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Troy Williamson
WR, South Carolina Texans
Vikings Apr. 20 - After acquiring cornerback Phillip Buchanan for a second- and third-round pick, the Texans could feel better about taking a wide receiver at No. 13, and Williamson would be their dream pick. They can consider offensive linemen such as Alex Barron or Jamal Brown, and will look again at pass rushers such as Shawne Merriman and DeMarcus Ware, speculates John Clayton, but Williamson makes sense.
The Texans have added hope of getting Williamson if the Redskins don't take a receiver at No. 9. Williamson could go at No. 7 to Minnesota, but that could be Mike Williams' spot if he's available. The nice part of Williamson going to Houston is that owner Bob McNair is a South Carolina alum.

I hope Williamson is not the guy. He really only produced for one year, but has a world of potential. BUT DOESN'T EVERYONE IN THE DRAFT. Trading for Buchanon, at least you get a seasoned player, that knows the league. If you draft a 2nd round corner or any player, you have no idea what your going to get. Same with a WR in the draft. I believe either Clayton would be a more solid pick for the Texans at WR. Learning curve is shorter, stronger than Williamson, and most say better after the catch. As for many talking about Buchanon's attitude, never a problem at Miami, played with AJ the great so I'm sure they checked with him, and who wouldn't play up to their potential in Oakland........Not many do!!! Houston will work wonders for his career, and vice-versa him for our defense! We need attitude and we got it! :thumbup

Okay here is my take on all of this. We basically got a 4th rounder for a 6th round pick and this years 2nd. Now we have 4 very capable CBs and he possibly could provide some future talent should Glenn get hurt(remember Glenn has bad hammies). He provides a KR/PR with the "break away speed" everyone here says JJ Moses doesn't possess. If he sux, he is a nickel or even dime back at best for the next two years and we can always draft a corner later, we can then cut him and his money is not a big cap hit.

As far as the cons to this trade, well we don't get to move up for DJ and we don't get to pick in the second round. Who knows, we could still trade draft spots somehow and for all we know, Texans may not even really be sold on him to make that kind of move. At worst in the first round, we trade down and get the lineman we all think we need or stay put and see what falls in our lap. Anything can happen on draft day.

Back