Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans trade Osweiller to Browns

This won't change the fact that the Texans signed him to a $72 million free agent contract and he only played for a 1 year before the Texans had to trade a next year's 2nd RD draft pick to get someone to take him.

Is he a Texan now? NO! It needs to be moved to the NFL section

Won't change the past but he's not a Texan anymore

I do not recall anyone predicting that he would be "awesome", but there was some optimism based on what he had done with the Broncos in the 2015 season.

As someone who was quite adamant about not signing Brock, yeah I remember a whole lot of Koolaid. The amount of praise heaped upon Brock as well as management for stealing such a coveted quarterback was pretty heavy. According to most posts that I remember, we won the free agent lottery and landed a young superstar that had already defeated the Patriots. Even if he failed we'd only be stuck with him for 2 years with the way the contract was designed - unless we panicked of course.

As someone who was quite adamant about not signing Brock, yeah I remember a whole lot of Koolaid. The amount of praise heaped upon Brock as well as management for stealing such a coveted quarterback was pretty heavy. According to most posts that I remember, we won the free agent lottery and landed a young superstar that had already defeated the Patriots. Even if he failed we'd only be stuck with him for 2 years with the way the contract was designed - unless we panicked of course.

'Tis True....

We were so desperate that we had to hope for the best

Houston karma that brought us the whole situation

There was a lot of koolaid & a lot of optimism. & while I was probably the last person here hanging on to hope at the end of the season, we had more people championing Brandon Weeden than Brock Osweiler.

Ain't nobody thought he was a stud & nobody thought he deserved the contract he signed. We were just hoping things worked out for our Texans, not Brock.

'Tis True....

We were so desperate that we had to hope for the best

Houston karma that brought us the whole situation

I hoped for the best as well, and had a very clear post or few before the season saying as much. It's revisionist history however to say that most (or even more than a few) had reservations regarding Brock. You could count the posters on one hand (with fingers left over) who were vocal about the signing being bad. It was near unanimous that we won Brock, and when anyone mentioned the Broncos not matching or trying, it was heavily countered with 'well the Broncos offered almost as much and he would rather play here'. This forum loved the signing - we were finally aggressive at the right time and hit a homerun. The worst part is the continued quote 'even if he sucks, we can cut him in 2 years' ... ummmmmm.

I hoped for the best as well, and had a very clear post or few before the season saying as much. It's revisionist history however to say that most (or even more than a few) had reservations regarding Brock. You could count the posters on one hand (with fingers left over) who were vocal about the signing being bad. It was near unanimous that we won Brock, and when anyone mentioned the Broncos not matching or trying, it was heavily countered with 'well the Broncos offered almost as much and he would rather play here'. This forum loved the signing - we were finally aggressive at the right time and hit a homerun. The worst part is the continued quote 'even if he sucks, we can cut him in 2 years' ... ummmmmm.

Yes, I loved the signing. Yes I liked the aggressive approach of the Texans signing Brock, Miller, Allen, & Bergstrum day 1... but I had reservations about all of them.

No one thought Brock was worth $19M/yr, or $37M guaranteed. But we were happy we didn't spend a draft pick on him, Goff, Wentz, or Lynch. We (I) looked at him as a talented prospect with big game NFL experience. I still think O'b & Horsey were more of a problem than Brock, but that doesn't mean I thought he was a stud.

Meh, the posts are there for all to see, twist them into any form you wish. I said ad nauseam and caught hell for it - 'Brock sucked in college, he sucked with the Broncos and he was going to suck here'. I'm not an NFL worthy head coach though, and obviously not as wise to knowing how someone will perform. He had moments of competence in Denver because of Kubiak. He was still absolute crap, hidden behind Kubiak and an epic defense.

Meh, the posts are there for all to see, twist them into any form you wish. I said ad nauseam and caught hell for it - 'Brock sucked in college, he sucked with the Broncos and he was going to suck here'. I'm not an NFL worthy head coach though, and obviously not as wise to knowing how someone will perform. He had moments of competence in Denver because of Kubiak. He was still absolute crap, hidden behind Kubiak and an epic defense.

Yea!! Cookie for you.

I'd love for you to find one post where someone said he was a stud, or even good. I think the best I can remember are folks (including myself) saying, "He's not that bad."

I didn't like him in college, didn't like him in Denver... you're not alone there.

I didn't know much about him before he was signed - he wasn't a Texan so why should I? I gave him some rope because, as you said, Kubiak gave him a set of plays he could execute half-way decently. Plus, as has also been said, I was happy it wasn't another Fitzmagic/Hoyer/Mallett type retread; i.e., we actually went out and had someone who (again, thanks to Kubiak's offense) looked like they had potential.
At least they took a shot.

I'd love for you to find one post where someone said he was a stud, or even good. I think the best I can remember are folks (including myself) saying, "He's not that bad."

I didn't like him in college, didn't like him in Denver... you're not alone there.
Define "good".

Many think Osweiler as a clear upgrade over Fitz, Hoyer, Weenden, and Keenum.

Others think he's fair to receive a "somewhere" mid money as starter.
(Some of us, like scooter and I, and others, didn't think his previous showings was a sign of a starting QB, let alone a competent mid-level QB.

There were a few who thought he'd be better than Schaub. The MVP stuff, ya know.

I don't dispute what you are saying, but that is a far cry from anyone claiming he'd be "awesome". That term would indicate that folks thought we had Tom Brady, and literally nobody thought that about Brock.

None of us are pro scouts or pro coaches, yet folks often act like they are in hindsight. Picking apart history is easy. A freakin' monkey could do it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a fanbase being optimistic at the beginning of a new season about picking up what most NFL analysts considered the best QB in free agency.

So the Texans took a swing and missed. My criticism has always been that they are scared to even swing the bat, so I'm not going to go revisionist history and chastise them for doing something that they have historically been scared to do.

It's the same attitude about Deshaun Watson. I have no idea how he will turn out, but I'm glad they are trying to find a franchise QB and I'm hopeful that he ends up being the real deal. No predictions, but just blind optimism because I do not default to Eeyore personality syndrome about an entertainment medium.

It's the same attitude about Deshaun Watson. I have no idea how he will turn out, but I'm glad they are trying to find a franchise QB and I'm hopeful that he ends up being the real deal. No predictions, but just blind optimism because I do not default to Eeyore personality syndrome about an entertainment medium.

Absolutely.

I don't know the first thing about Deshaun Watson. I watched one game, the last National Championship game & that was after we drafted him. I don't know if he's going to be any good.

I can imagine 12 months from now someone is going to remember my posts saying he should start day 1 & think I thought he was the next Steve Young or something... & that's not at all what any of those posts are about.

I honestly don't know. I was going to say a gaggle... but let's say it was nine.... should they have fired Ozzie after seven? or six?

I'm honestly not a fan of Rick Smith. If he were fired tomorrow, I wouldn't lose any sleep. There was actually a time when I wanted him fired. But since then... I see him supply coaches with the talent they need to field a team that's top 5 on their side of the ball. When he's got the coaches that is. Why those coaches couldn't put it all together, I don't know. Why O'b can't field an average or mediocre offense with avg or mediocre players? I don't know but benching a QB in week 1 after talking him up all summer long may give us a clue.

I honestly don't know. I was going to say a gaggle... but let's say it was nine.... should they have fired Ozzie after seven? or six?

I'm honestly not a fan of Rick Smith. If he were fired tomorrow, I wouldn't lose any sleep. There was actually a time when I wanted him fired. But since then... I see him supply coaches with the talent they need to field a team that's top 5 on their side of the ball. When he's got the coaches that is. Why those coaches couldn't put it all together, I don't know. Why O'b can't field an average or mediocre offense with avg or mediocre players? I don't know but benching a QB in week 1 after talking him up all summer long may give us a clue.

I actually agree it's more obriens fault. Rick just gets the guys he wants

I expect Brock to play better for the Browns than for the Texans. He and O'Brien were oil and water.

I didn't see justification for that reporter in Cleveland to put the screws to Osweiler for saying he's a starter. He gave the answer he's supposed to give, and he's putting Houston in the rear view as expected. Simply because he was a bad fit and had a down year doesn't mean he's a fraud. He's a guy trying to achieve his ambition like anyone else in the league, but probably works harder at it than 99% of them. He demonstrated good character and work ethic throughout a prolonged disaster of a situation last season, so I'm rooting for him this year.

Though Cleveland fans are going to tear him apart by week 4.

Absolutely.

I don't know the first thing about Deshaun Watson. I watched one game, the last National Championship game & that was after we drafted him. I don't know if he's going to be any good.

I can imagine 12 months from now someone is going to remember my posts saying he should start day 1 & think I thought he was the next Steve Young or something... & that's not at all what any of those posts are about.

The point being missed is even if you did watch him you wouldn't know if he'd make it at the next level. You might feel better about your opinion, but you still wouldn't know. College football is not the same game as NFL football. That's why so many highly rated college QBs never make it in the NFL. Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Sanchez, Russell, Young, Couch, Akili Smith, Leaf and on and on and on.

As has been mentioned, I don't fault the Texans for being aggressive and going after Watson because what all of us do know is that you don't find a franchise QB if you don't try.

Will Watson be that HR? None of us know.

Any evidence?

When O'Brien was first hired, it was reported that he had final say over personnel. It was pretty much assumed that it would be like the Kubiak era, the coach decides who he wants and Rick acquires them.

After many of the early offensive moves didn't work out, it was reported that "Rick Smith controls personnel. O'Brien controls who plays" which doesn't actually answer who decides on the player. Rick Smith "controlling" personnel could simply be him doing the paperwork and not having any opinions or doing any actual scouting.

And just circumstantially speaking, the offensive moves have been very different since O'Brien got here, making me thing he's making the calls. From the type of guys they're getting (from New England or fitting the system) to the risky nature of the moves (trade ups), it makes me think Rick isn't making the calls. I don't think he'd change that drastically.

Here's the deal. Majority of QB prospects fail in this league, regardless of where they are drafted or paid in FA. Goff, Wentz & Lynch are most likely to be failures. Trubisky, Mahomes & Watson are most likely to be failures. The great Bellicheck has drafted more failures at QB than successful ones.

By gloating that you knew Brock would fail is like gloating you knew the Warriors would beat the Spurs in the Conference Finals.

This team needs a QB. There's no magic formula someone has figured out to acquire a sure-fire franchise QB. You have to take chances on guys. It would take a lot of years if you wait around for that "perfect guy". What majority of us are happy about is we're seeing this team take chances and not wait for some perfect prospect that may never come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the"you have to take risks" argument.

That's true of many jobs and you get judged on results

And you have to take smart risks not reckless ones

Here's the deal. Majority of QB prospects fail in this league, regardless of where they are drafted or paid in FA. Goff, Wentz & Lynch are most likely to be failures. Trubisky, Mahomes & Watson are most likely to be failures. The great Bellicheck has drafted more failures at QB than successful ones.

By gloating that you knew Brock would fail is like gloating you knew the Warriors would beat the Spurs in the Conference Finals.

This team needs a QB. There's no magic formula someone has figured out to acquire a sure-fire franchise QB. You have to take chances on guys. It would take a lot of years if you wait around for that "perfect guy". What majority of us are happy about is we're seeing this team take chances and not wait for some perfect prospect that may never come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree for the most part, but there is some amount of developing. Tom Brady would not have done well with Mariuchi in Detroit. The team wasn't good enough to hide a young prospect & Mooch tends more towards exposing his QB.

Kubiak can take a bad luck snakebitten bust & make him a perennial playoff quality stud.

No question, you have to get the right guy, but you also need to know what to do with him when you do.

I agree for the most part, but there is some amount of developing. Tom Brady would not have done well with Mariuchi in Detroit. The team wasn't good enough to hide a young prospect & Mooch tends more towards exposing his QB.

Kubiak can take a bad luck snakebitten bust & make him a perennial playoff quality stud.

No question, you have to get the right guy, but you also need to know what to do with him when you do.

That's the thing...

Situation matters.

People talk about the busts, but what I want to know is has that coach helped any other qb/player become successful.

The same patriot qb's that people call busts looked good enough with the pats to have other teams offer them a job.

The same Brock Osweiler that looked completely incapable at times here looked like he could have been a Super Bowl winning qb in Denver. He looked good enough to someone on Kirby that they decided to sign him to a big contract and make him the unquestioned starter.

Then he comes here and now he's so bad you have to give up a draft pick to get someone to take him.

People are like "if he goes to the Browns and is decent it's not a good look for the Texans"....true, but it's like folks forget about his time before the Texans. Like the Texans discovered Os and decided to throw a ton of money at him. Whether you believe in his talent or not, again, he showed enough under a different NFL coach to where someone on Kirby thought he was worth the red carpet.

What bad luck, snake bitten bust has Kubiak made look like a perennial playoff quality stud?

Trevor Siemian had 18 TDs, 10 ints, 59.5 completion%, 7.0 yards per attempt and an 85 qbrating

We would have been ecstatic if Brock put up those numbers

that's more than a few liberties....

This is a much more accurate picture

I'm only counting a few.

1. That he was a bust in Arizona
  2. That he was a perennial playoff QB
  3. That he was a playoffs stud

It might be a stretch to call him a bust in Arizona, but that was a bad team & if I remember right, most people didn't blame Plummer

He was only with the Broncos for four years, making the playoffs in three of them. That's almost perennial.

There was some stretching & some hyperbole calling him a playoff stud as he only had one good game of the four he played.

Trevor Siemian had 18 TDs, 10 ints, 59.5 completion%, 7.0 yards per attempt and an 85 qbrating

We would have been ecstatic if Brock put up those numbers

In his seven starts for Denver, he was in that range.

What bad luck, snake bitten bust has Kubiak made look like a perennial playoff quality stud?

mattschaub.jpg

In his seven starts for Denver, he was in that range.

A 2nd round pick with a couple years of seasoning vs a 7th(?) round nobody who was planning his next endeavor when his name got called. Being almost as good as Siemian is not a positive. Oz sucked in Denver, but the win against the Patriots seems to wipe out that fact - Manning could barely raise his arm to hand the ball off and was a safer bet to win than Oz. Much like Fitz sucked here, but one stat heavy game against the Titans turned his year into a positive.

A 2nd round pick with a couple years of seasoning vs a 7th(?) round nobody who was planning his next endeavor when his name got called. Being almost as good as Siemian is not a positive. Oz sucked in Denver, but the win against the Patriots seems to wipe out that fact - Manning could barely raise his arm to hand the ball off and was a safer bet to win than Oz. Much like Fitz sucked here, but one stat heavy game against the Titans turned his year into a positive.
You missed the point.

Please don't misconstrue that post & believe in ready to induct Osweiler into the HOF. OT meant nothing of the sort.

Osweiler a 'pleasant surprise' in Browns camp so far

A little more than a week ago, I wrote a post exploring whether the Browns would actually keep Brock Osweiler as their third quarterback.

But life comes at you fast.

On Wednesday, Browns head coach Hue Jackson talked up the former Texans divorcee. The comments added to what has been an Osweiler boost of late, altering already scrambled perceptions of who, exactly, is winning the job this preseason. At the least, Osweiler no longer seems second fiddle to the second-round draft pick the Browns received for taking him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nf...ff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

Osweiler a 'pleasant surprise' in Browns camp so far

A little more than a week ago, I wrote a post exploring whether the Browns would actually keep Brock Osweiler as their third quarterback.

But life comes at you fast.

On Wednesday, Browns head coach Hue Jackson talked up the former Texans divorcee. The comments added to what has been an Osweiler boost of late, altering already scrambled perceptions of who, exactly, is winning the job this preseason. At the least, Osweiler no longer seems second fiddle to the second-round draft pick the Browns received for taking him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000812358/article/brock-osweiler-a-pleasant-surprise-in-browns-camp?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3Bteam%3Dclv%3Bconf%3Dafc%3Bdvsn%3Dacn%3Bplyr%3Dbrock_osweiler&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

From that link

There's always a chance that Osweiler was the quarterback that Broncos vice president John Elway projected him to be, but myriad factors in Houston got in the way. At the least, he is average to slightly-above-average, which is more than the Browns can say about their current crop of otherwise unproven, young passers.

:spit:

I look forward to their retorts when the bullets start flying and Brock crumbles under the pressure...again.

Reactions: JB
Back