Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Trade for Tunsil!!

Roderick and two rookies are not good. Guys with no experience are almost never good.
You seem frantically nervous these past few hours....posting every few minutes how horrible we will be even for the next decade. Is your self esteem so deeply tied to this forum that you feel something is slipping away? I mean you are at another level.

You seem frantically nervous these past few hours....posting every few minutes how horrible we will be even for the next decade. Is your self esteem so deeply tied to this forum that you feel something is slipping away? I mean you are at another level.

Lol, not nervous at all. It just sucks as a fan. At least the Astros and rockets are good and legit contenders

You're the guy who desperately wants to prove you didn't run off the doctor.

From reading your posts I can see why he left

Lol, not nervous at all. It just sucks as a fan. At least the Astros and rockets are good and legit contenders

Lol, you just dug an even deeper bs hole. Edit. So you bring up a proven lie again to support this post? Actually you are the one that started the lie to begin with. But I digress. You are a piece of work.

Tunsil might have been the 1st player taken in his draft if not for that picture with the mask .
Saw this little tidbit in this morning's paper. He was certainly being discussed as the first overall selection.

Davenport wasn't going to make the 53, so he was a throw-a-way. Getting such a young talent, with the potential to be elite, with three years under his belt, just doesn't happen very often.

Two first rounders is not overpaying. We would otherwise have no opportunity to get a top 10 talent with our draft position in the 2020 draft.

This was an outstanding trade. Plus, for the second, we get Stills ( 6'-1", 202, with 4.38 speed ).

Is Roby the only guy on his last year of deal that is due to start? Was hyde on a 1 yr deal?

Day after the drama yesterday. Will forever hate the moves yesterday.

Now time to hope for the best. But still thinking long term. If we hit on Roby and Hyde do we have to pay them next year. Not sure anyone else major due for contracts

@steelbtexan Overnight it dawned on me that things may have changed down on Kirby. Big swings and got some non Texans worthy guys we would not have gotten under previous owner, Tunsil and his gas mask and Stills with his off field agenda (guy is good in community in my view). Also aggressive swings that are boom or bust. All that salary cap money can be eaten up in a few years now too. So to you, think things are changing under Cal? It feels he told BOB do what needs to be done to advance and he went after it. I think we mortgaged the future, but we won't Andrew Luck DW4, built some needed offensive depth, and rely on RAC and Mercilus to plug Clowney's hole. Without some top draft picks, money will be spent to keep Tunsil and DW4 in the next years, may have to choose Stills or Fuller. Curious your view now that dust is settling

Basically that means it's going to be hard to improve the team going forward.

This is it. And they are nowhere close to good.
no you are so wrong! we have enough cap space and enough picks. did you feel same way last year when texans won 11 games without 1st round pick? lmao I bet you are one of those fans who said texans will go 2-14 or 0-16 after 0-3 start lmao

Clear O’Brian doesn’t view Howard as a franchise LT. Still I think he totally shot his wad cause Roderick Johnson looked to me like he was on a fast track to becoming the LT answer.

Cal enabled Bob. So he has failed this city as well. Feel terrible for rest of the team, fans and vendors who support this piece of ****.

no you are so wrong! we have enough cap space and enough picks. did you feel same way last year when texans won 11 games without 1st round pick? lmao I bet you are one of those fans who said texans will go 2-14 or 0-16 after 0-3 start lmao

Lol. Capspace will be eaten up by extensions to current players.

Draft picks? No.

@steelbtexan Overnight it dawned on me that things may have changed down on Kirby. Big swings and got some non Texans worthy guys we would not have gotten under previous owner, Tunsil and his gas mask and Stills with his off field agenda (guy is good in community in my view). Also aggressive swings that are boom or bust. All that salary cap money can be eaten up in a few years now too. So to you, think things are changing under Cal? It feels he told BOB do what needs to be done to advance and he went after it. I think we mortgaged the future, but we won't Andrew Luck DW4, built some needed offensive depth, and rely on RAC and Mercilus to plug Clowney's hole. Without some top draft picks, money will be spent to keep Tunsil and DW4 in the next years, may have to choose Stills or Fuller. Curious your view now that dust is settling

Things do appear to be changing. They decided to just get the best players possible for their team. A change in the right direction. IMHO.

I don't look at this as mortgaging the future I look at protecting Watson as investing in the future. With a 2nd/two 3's and two 4's in next yrs draft they should be able to move up into the 1st Rd to get a guy if they really like him. I see Tunsil as next yrs 1st.

2021 will hurt, but it won't be a killer look at Gaine and the draft two yrs ago. There will be talented guys available, it's just as Texans fans we are conditioned for 3rd Rd failures. Plus I believe by the time the 2021 draft rolls around they will have more than one 3rd Rd pick, plus Watson/Watt will have new contracts and there will be cap space available so unlike past Texans org moves if they are 1guy short at position of need they will be able to add him.

In short I like the new aggressive style.

That's about as positive a take I've seen on the Texans actions over the last 24 hours. I like it !

Actually, as a Fan we just got better, instantly. I'm thaking this road, enjoy what hopefully won't be a train wreck on the OL, and stop worrying about the next years drafts.. :)

Now O’Brien has even taken away our hope for the future. So now when we are 3-9 and eliminated from any hope of the playoffs 3/4’s of the way through the season we won’t even have the draft to look forward to for years to come. Then if we haven't traded even more away by then Watson and Watt will be tired of losing and sign elsewhere.

Dude has to go. He is barely an average coach and as a GM is probably one of the worst of all time.

Actually, as a Fan we just got better, instantly. I'm thaking this road, enjoy what hopefully won't be a train wreck on the OL, and stop worrying about the next years drafts.. :)
No question the offense got better but the other side of the LOS not so much.

Things do appear to be changing. They decided to just get the best players possible for their team. A change in the right direction. IMHO.

I don't look at this as mortgaging the future I look at protecting Watson as investing in the future. With a 2nd/two 3's and two 4's in next yrs draft they should be able to move up into the 1st Rd to get a guy if they really like him. I see Tunsil as next yrs 1st.

2021 will hurt, but it won't be a killer look at Gaine and the draft two yrs ago. There will be talented guys available, it's just as Texans fans we are conditioned for 3rd Rd failures. Plus I believe by the time the 2021 draft rolls around they will have more than one 3rd Rd pick, plus Watson/Watt will have new contracts and there will be cap space available so unlike past Texans org moves if they are 1guy short at position of need they will be able to add him.

Of course you don't look at is as mortgaging the future. You're the guy who wants them to go after and pay top dollar to every top FA that becomes available. You have no concern about what happens tomorrow.

And you think all of this is a change in the right direction? The reason they're paying these exorbitant prices is because they fumbled their way into this situation and are pretty much forced to try and dig their way out. Going all nuclear like they did to cover up their years of gross incompetence isn't a very good direction to be going.

Of course you don't look at is as mortgaging the future. You're the guy who wants them to go after and pay top dollar to every top FA that becomes available. You have no concern about what happens tomorrow.

And you think all of this is a change in the right direction? The reason they're paying these exorbitant prices is because they fumbled their way into this situation and are pretty much forced to try and dig their way out. Going all nuclear like they did to cover up their years of gross incompetence isn't a very good direction to be going.

I didn't want them to go after every available FA. I wanted them to pay for OL in FA. It would've been the price to pay for yrs of neglect. They still had to pay for those yrs of neglect but they chose to pay thru the draft. Howard/Scharping draft picks/Tunsil trade was the cost to properly protect Watson and you have nothing if Watson isn't healthy. BTW, yrs of gross neglicence didn't happen when BOB was making the final calls. The Tunsil trade should tell you that, but it probably wont. I mean look at what Gaine/BOB have done in the last yr in regards to the OL. They went from the worst OL in the NFL with Watson getting the crap beaten out of him every game to having 3 talented young OL and 2 other OL that should be just entering their prime. Never in the Texans history have they invested in the OL like this. Kudo's.

Are you saying that doing what it takes to protect Watson isn't going in the right direction? Because if that's what you're saying then once again we will have to agree to disagree. BTW, Tunsil is really good.

Basically that means it's going to be hard to improve the team going forward.

This is it. And they are nowhere close to good.
What have you seen from this team that makes you feel confident that the Texans would actually improve with those draft picks? I'd say the odds of Tunsil being the franchise LT for the next 10 years is significantly higher than the Texans hitting a double, much less a home run, with any of those draft picks. And I'm a guy that highly values draft picks.

Am I the only one here who's ecstatic about these moves? As a fan, it's win-win. If these moves pay off, the Texans maybe get to the AFCCG and if they don't, the Texans almost have to clean house and start over. While I beleive the Texans have a talented team, overall, I'm leaning towards the latter due to OBs incompetitence on the offensive side of the ball. I'd love to have to eat crow on that subject.

They're a helluva lot better than Khalil, Martin and probably Henderson. At least the Texans aren't trying to make chicken salad out of chicken **** now.

People aren't going to know how to act when the Texans actually have a competent OL next yr.

They're a helluva lot better than Khalil, Martin and probably Henderson. At least the Texans aren't trying to make chicken salad out of chicken **** now.

Martin and Henderson are still starters
What have you seen from this team that makes you feel confident that the Texans would actually improve with those draft picks? I'd say the odds of Tunsil being the franchise LT for the next 10 years is significantly higher than the Texans hitting a double, much less a home run, with any of those draft picks. And I'm a guy that highly values draft picks.

Am I the only one here who's ecstatic about these moves? As a fan, it's win-win. If these moves pay off, the Texans maybe get to the AFCCG and if they don't, the Texans almost have to clean house and start over. While I beleive the Texans have a talented team, overall, I'm leaning towards the latter due to OBs incompetitence on the offensive side of the ball. I'd love to have to eat crow on that subject.

How do you start over without two first round picks?

You can't!

Earliest restart is in 2022!

Now O’Brien has even taken away our hope for the future. So now when we are 3-9 and eliminated from any hope of the playoffs 3/4’s of the way through the season we won’t even have the draft to look forward to for years to come. Then if we haven't traded even more away by then Watson and Watt will be tired of losing and sign elsewhere.

Dude has to go. He is barely an average coach and as a GM is probably one of the worst of all time.

Yep. That's what's infuriating.

Now we have to look forward to a rebuild in three years rather than next year

I’m a build through the draft guy but I’m pretty happy. This isn’t going to be a boring year. You are right about hitting those draft picks, especially when drafting OT. That’s why Tunsil cost extra. He’s young but proven. College #1’s don’t come that way. I see the 1&2. The 2021 1 is at least somewhat offset with Stills and the 4&6.

How do you start over without two first round picks?

You can't!

Earliest restart is in 2022!
The team needs a rebuild of the coaching staff and front office. The team itself is very talented. No need to rebuild the roster.

No question the offense got better but the other side of the LOS not so much.

Mercilus while not as good as Clowney is no slouch. Look at what he did a cople of yrs ago when he took Clowney's place and they moved Clowney to Watt's spot. I think if he can stay healthy Mercilus will get 10 plus sacks next yr. I also think Martin has potential.

Are you saying that doing what it takes to protect Watson isn't going in the right direction? Because if that's what you're saying then once again we will have to agree to disagree. BTW, Tunsil is really good.

Yes, you do what's necessary to protect your franchise QB. But again, that goes back to the incompetence of the last few years. That's something that should have happened already by, oh, I don't know, not getting rid of Duane Brown?

I have no gripe about Tunsil. He's immediately the best lineman we've had since Brown. It's the way the Texans go about it that I have a problem with. They get themselves in a predicament, then they've got to do things like trading away picks just to get rid of somebody (Osweiler), or doing what they did yesterday, paying through the nose to cover their incompetence.

It's done now. And I actually do feel better about the safety of Watson, but what hole is it they dig next and what will be the cost to get out of it? That's my issue with all of this.

That's not direction, that's desperation.

The team needs a rebuild of the coaching staff and front office. The team itself is very talented. No need to rebuild the roster.
The coaching staff has been somewhat rebuilt this year. Kelly and the QB coach are nice additions. I want to see Kelly specifically. Guy certainly looks the part. Dead focus stare. Possible HC for Texans someday.

Davenport, hence the crazy draft capital you received. He has clunky feet and is a penalty machine.

Gouldo, keep in mind he was a project when we drafted him in the 4th. He's going into his 4th year having only started one year under his belt. He committed 11 penalties all of last year. Like any other lineman some of those were suspect.

He's got avg athleticism but a great build, long arms & a decent punch. A good coach can get by with him... my opinion of course.

This is how I’m beginning to see it as well. Why save draft picks for a ‘what if’ player or two down the road when some bold moves can be made to make our ‘what if’ now. I see this as BoB and Company’s pushing all the chips in the middle of the table move. We had very talented and key players at all the positions needed to make it work with the exception of the needed protection for our franchise QB we’ve always dreamed of having. Now is the time...not one to three years down the road. These moves show me that. Clowney and the money needed to keep him had to go to make this work.

I’m eagerly anticipating the start of what may be very well the next stage of aggressive Texans’ football, or the biggest choke in history next to the Oilers/Bills playoff of the 90’s. Time will tell.

Nope, the starters should be Tunsil/Howard/Fulton/Scharping/Henderson. Henderson is the weakest but he is replaceable. It will take 4 or 5 games for them to jell like it took the Colts OL. i think the OL will be good by the 2nd half of the yr and I cant wait to see a well protected Watson operate. The only thing I regret is not drafting Watson in my FF league.

Yes, you do what's necessary to protect your franchise QB. But again, that goes back to the incompetence of the last few years. That's something that should have happened already by, oh, I don't know, not getting rid of Duane Brown?

I have no gripe about Tunsil. He's immediately the best lineman we've had since Brown. It's the way the Texans go about it that I have a problem with. They get themselves in a predicament, then they've got to do things like trading away picks just to get rid of somebody (Osweiler), or doing what they did yesterday, paying through the nose to cover their incompetence.

It's done now. And I actually do feel better about the safety of Watson, but what hole is it they dig next and what will be the cost to get out of it? That's my issue with all of this.

That's not direction, that's desperation.
The Texans FO operates just like the Government: they create a problem, make a big deal about the problem, massively overspend to try to correct the problem then want to be congratulated for it. .

This is how I’m beginning to see it as well. Why save draft picks for a ‘what if’ player or two down the road when some bold moves can be made to make our ‘what if’ now. I see this as BoB and Company’s pushing all the chips in the middle of the table move. We had very talented and key players at all the positions needed to make it work with the exception of the needed protection for our franchise QB we’ve always dreamed of having. Now is the time...not one to three years down the road. These moves show me that. Clowney and the money needed to keep him had to go to make this work.

I’m eagerly anticipating the start of what may be very well the next stage of aggressive Texans’ football, or the biggest choke in history next to the Oilers/Bills playoff of the 90’s. Time will tell.

Spot on,

I think BOB said if I'm going down I'm going down swinging.

Gouldo, keep in mind he was a project when we drafted him in the 4th. He's going into his 4th year having only started one year under his belt. He committed 11 penalties all of last year. Like any other lineman some of those were suspect.

He's got avg athleticism but a great build, long arms & a decent punch. A good coach can get by with him... my opinion of course.
I believe Davenport is going into his 3rd year.

Nope, the starters should be Tunsil/Howard/Fulton/Scharping/Henderson. Henderson is the weakest but he is replaceable. It will take 4 or 5 games for them to jell like it took the Colts OL. i think the OL will be good by the 2nd half of the yr and I cant wait to see a well protected Watson operate. The only thing I regret is not drafting Watson in my FF league.

Enough with this jelling crap! Seriously? It's win now because we don't have a way to get better.
Scharpring looked awful

What you think they should be and what they will be are 2 different things.

True, you think Martin will make it thru the entire yr? LOL

When you have to resort to this type of debating you know you've lost the debate. The you dont know what's going to happen defense. Nobody knows whats going to happen. SMH

What you are missing is first rounders are often good players under cheap contracts for five years.

The Texans are not good now and without picks simply cannot get better

What you think they should be and what they will be are 2 different things.

When you have to resort to this type of debating you know you've lost the debate. The you dont know what's going to happen defense. Nobody knows whats going to happen. SMH

I know the defense will be worse. The run defense might actually suck

If this team chokes, it is squarely on the coaching staff.

No we don't know what's going to happen. But that sure doesn't stop you from telling us all what will. SMH

What you are missing is first rounders are often good players under cheap contracts for five years.

The Texans are not good now and without picks simply cannot get better

Tunsil is next yrs 1st rd pick. A 25 yr old better than middle of the pack LT with much room to improve. 2021 will hurt, but if the Texans cant survive 1 yr without 1st/2nd rd picks (They've shown they can) then this org is a lost org.

Two first rounders is not overpaying.

I think two first for any non-QB is overpaying, unless that move puts you in a Super Bowl. We used two first to get Watson. Didn't bother me. Then like now I believe he's going to put us in a Super Bowl.

I don't think Tunsil will put us in a Super Bowl. Well, protecting Watson is imperative to putting us in the Super Bowl, but that's more rationalization.

Still, if we have a chance to win the AFCCG this year, I'm not going to gripe about the trade.

Week 4 if we look like crap I'll start griping about this.

If we win our games in December I'll stop griping.

If we're in the AFCCG, i ain't lying, I will never say a discouraging word about Coach O'Brien.

Mr. Coach O'Brien.

Last edited:
So in order for me to finally see great oline play . I have to wait a entire year. So basically the excuse for this season will be , we have to give them a year huh. Watson getting beat up again is to be expected. So ok let's wait another year for the chemistry and cohesiveness to kick in.

Man bump that noise. This is a do or die situation for Obrien and mainly Delvin. They have to produce or either both are out of here or just Delvin.

Them jokers have a week to get it together. They can not start off 0-3. No freaking way.

Last edited:
Back