Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans to trade and cut players for a better GM option (see article)

I don’t know you extend a young QB, take away his best weapon, replace him w scraps, and then try and trade the scraps away with seemingly no plan to surround him w talent.

If you’re not thinking we’re one of the worst franchises in the league you best start looking around. We’ve squared talent since our inception. But hey, we have a few AFC South championships right? LoL

Other teams take advantage of us and we just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

I don’t know you extend a young QB, take away his best weapon, replace him w scraps, and then try and trade the scraps away with seemingly no plan to surround him w talent.

If you’re not thinking we’re one of the worst franchises in the league you best start looking around. We’ve squared talent since our inception. But hey, we have a few AFC South championships right? LoL

Other teams take advantage of us and we just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

what is watson best weapon fuller cooks dj ????

1 or 2 can go and if u want to surround watson with weapons just draft a wr in the 2nd round with the pick we get

a bonafide good young WR if u can find one ???

well if i had the GM hat it would be easy cut or trade everyone not named watson or LT and titus has well maybe..

i would also fire the entire front office and all the coaches top to bottom only one left would be me and Mr McNair lol

the only things to think about is the players that are decent and we are still paying them decent money so maybe we should keep them category but there not untouchable

david johnson
cooks
Z ham
jacob martin
reid
Conley
max sharp
gaines
roby
....tho all these players if u wanna jet them i wouldnt lose sleep for a total reset

i dont know about all the younger and rookies thats why we should play them from here on out all the 3rd and 4th stringers sit watson for saftey and start mccarron

its quite easy imo do all this and it would deff attract and better GM coach combo to come to houston

Looks like a plan to me

Time to clear the deck and start over. DW4's feelings be damned. It's not like he's a rookie. He's been in the NFL 4 freaking yrs

1 or 2 can go and if u want to surround watson with weapons just draft a wr in the 2nd round with the pick we get

With the pandemic there will be good Wr's available in fa. I would put most of the draft capital towards the defense and a couple of top tier FA's on the defense. Keep Cooks and pick up a cheap wr in FA.

I'm actually looking forward to Coulter getting an extended shot this season

Folks losing their minds trying to trade away every asset and non-asset we have to acquire low mid round draft picks in next year’s draft...a year we were gonna be bad anyway considering we’ll be under a new regime installing a new offense and defense.

Even if we did get all those middling picks, rookies coming in weren’t gonna be ready to significantly contribute to where it would make a huge difference in how good we were. Not most of those mid round late round rookies anyway.

Folks losing their minds trying to trade away every asset and non-asset we have to acquire low mid round draft picks in next year’s draft...a year we were gonna be bad anyway considering we’ll be under a new regime installing a new offense and defense.

Even if we did get all those middling picks, rookies coming in weren’t gonna be ready to significantly contribute to where it would make a huge difference in how good we were. Not most of those mid round late round rookies anyway.

You want new LBs and a NT? If they could trade WFV and get a 3rd for WFV that 3rd along with one of the 4ths will get you into the 2nd. The Texans 3rd should be a high 3rd that 4th could move you into the 15-20 range in the 2nd where you could get one of your LB

Then with the say the GB 3rd you can find another LB and still have a 4th/5th/two 6's. This doesn't even count the extra money saved for FA. Trading say Duke and Stills gets you a 5th and a 6th. That would give you two 5ths and three 6's.

With a 4th/two 5ths and three 6ths they could easily trade back into the 3rd to get the NT you're looking for and still probably have a 5th and to 6's.

In addition trading WFV/Stills Duke will save you around 22.5 mil on next yrs cap.

These trades which I think are reasonable gives the New GM options in the draft and more cap space to work with. I see this as a win/win. Pf course this will all come down to the new regimes ability to evaluate talent and the coaches ability to coach up all of the new extremely young talent.

You want new LBs and a NT? If they could trade WFV and get a 3rd for WFV that 3rd along with one of the 4ths will get you into the 2nd. The Texans 3rd should be a high 3rd that 4th could move you into the 15-20 range in the 2nd where you could get one of your LB

Then with the say the GB 3rd you can find another LB and still have a 4th/5th/two 6's. This doesn't even count the extra money saved for FA. Trading say Duke and Stills gets you a 5th and a 6th. That would give you two 5ths and three 6's.

With a 4th/two 5ths and three 6ths they could easily trade back into the 3rd to get the NT you're looking for and still probably have a 5th and to 6's.

In addition trading WFV/Stills Duke will save you around 22.5 mil on next yrs cap.

These trades which I think are reasonable gives the New GM options in the draft and more cap space to work with. I see this as a win/win. Pf course this will all come down to the new regimes ability to evaluate talent and the coaches ability to coach up all of the new extremely young talent.

noone’s giving us a 3rd for Fuller..not with his injury history and him being a FA after this year. He’d basically be a rental for them.

I’d be ok with the Stills and Duke trades. Aside from that you’re assuming the picks we’d make would be good and instant contributors. 5th and 6th rounders are 5th and 6th rounders for a reason.

noone’s giving us a 3rd for Fuller..not with his injury history and him being a FA after this year. He’d basically be a rental for them.

I’d be ok with the Stills and Duke trades. Aside from that you’re assuming the picks we’d make would be good and instant contributors. 5th and 6th rounders are 5th and 6th rounders for a reason.

Any team "renting Fuller" is going to get a 3rd as a comp pick when he walks as a FA - The price to acquire him needs to reflect that.

Basically the Texans are renting Fuller for the cap roll over and the difference in that teams pick Vs the comp pick they would get if he walked via FA - the same pick that team is going to recoup.

An old D. Thomas was traded for a 4th rd pick in the last yr of his contract.

He was bad the two previous years - He's just worse by leaps and bounds this year.

Completion percentage against -
2018 - 76.1%
2019 - 77.6%
2020 - 95.8%

QBR against
2018 - 103.2
2019 - 107.4
2020 - 142.4

Missed Tackle percentage
2018 - 13%
2019 - 7.2%
2020 - 12.3%
Many of our guys are declining, some is player originated as in "going nowhere so protect myself and wait for next year", some is coaching. Neither will be corrected this season.

Any team "renting Fuller" is going to get a 3rd as a comp pick when he walks as a FA - The price to acquire him needs to reflect that.

Basically the Texans are renting Fuller for the cap roll over and the difference in that teams pick Vs the comp pick they would get if he walked via FA - the same pick that team is going to recoup.
Am I not correct that WFV can be cut any time with the remaining $ remaining becoming cap space that can roll over to 2021? I know if we do cut we lose comp; but stand firm up to last minute for a round 2. It would also help if other teams would offer what GB has to play them off GB.

Is it possible Pack has offered a two but Easterby holding out for more? Earlier today I heard on the radio that a national guy was saying Easterby maybe not making a move due to fear of being ridiculed as O'Brien was.

I’d rather trade them for 2022 draft picks because we could get higher picks for them due to it being a year away. That way whatever GM we hire in the off season will have not only have our full round of picks but whatever else we get. As you said we’re not winning next year anyway so let 2022 be the rebuild draft.

All I’d focus on for next year is clearing cap space and then maybe grabbing what F/A we can so we have a few vets when the new,y drafted rookies come on board.

That’s just my thinking anyway.

Watson's best weapon if used correctly is the threat that he will run. That opens all targets. His accuracy should benefit guys like Coulter and Akins. I'd like to see Coulter and a round 2-3 pick like Terrace Marshall with Cobb in slot. Add a half back like Memphis speed demon Kenny Gainefield 4.37 and we have a Good start.

Last edited:
I’d rather trade them for 2022 draft picks because we could get higher picks for them due to it being a year away. That way whatever GM we hire in the off season will have not only have our full round of picks but whatever else we get. As you said we’re not winning next year anyway so let 2022 be the rebuild draft.

All I’d focus on for next year is clearing cap space and then maybe grabbing what F/A we can so we have a few vets when the new,y drafted rookies come on board.

Top of the line idea right here. Good stuff Maverick

That's all well and good and is a good plan. You still have to trade them now for the cap space.

That's all well and good and is a good plan. You still have to trade them now for the cap space.

Oh I know, we either tell the doctor to go ahead and amputate now or we don't have a choice come off season and we could get better value long term now. Afterwards might even be worth considering pulling Watson off the field so we don't risk him getting injured. Full season of healing might do him good anyway.

which is why I said dumping him now is really a nothing move b/c we can get a 3rd if/when he walks as a FA. The cap space we’d save at this point wouldn’t be anything significant imo. If he gets traded it needs to be for a 2nd or better. Apart from that, may as well keep him and try to resign him to a reasonable deal in the offseason as a familiar weapon for DW4 going into 2021.

Last edited:
which is why I said dumping him now is really a nothing move b/c we can get a 3rd if/when he walks as a FA. The cap space we’d save at this point wouldn’t be anything significant imo. If he gets traded it needs to be for a 2nd or better. Apart from that, may as well keep him and try to resign him to a reasonable deal in the offseason as a familiar weapon for DW4 going into 2021.

Except that getting a comp pick is not guaranteed

You don't think Green Bay, Bears or Pittsburgh would give a third for Fuller for 8 games at $5 million to strengthen chances for Super Bowl? I think Tampa Bay and also Browns after losing Odell Beckham would. If he did go to any of those teams and have encouraging season he won't have to be a rental. Even if he is not kept by SB team, sliding off that roster might get them a third round comp; seems reasonable.

I get it but there are players that might be available to Texans 2021 that need to be on a roster learning.

That's pretty good work there, actually. Basically got a 7th rounder for free.

Accumulate as many mid to late round picks as possible. A good gm will hit on some of them.....key being a GOOD gm.
Yes it is easy to overlook but getting even a 7th for a guy we just got for nothing is a good move; still not sure how it went down. If we called D it is more optimism than if D called and Easterby said "you want who for a seventh? Oh, yeah, I guess we can part with him..".
For now, I am just happy with a 7th and I can think of several more that could go.

Folks losing their minds trying to trade away every asset and non-asset we have to acquire low mid round draft picks in next year’s draft...
Well, it's going to be low mid round draft picks or UDFAs filling our roster the next couple of years, so...

I get it but there are players that might be available to Texans 2021 that need to be on a roster learning.

If you mean in the draft there are always good players every year that might be available. Texans are going to have to make some hard choices in this rebuild and one of those is skipping the next draft basically or just being bit players.

I agreed with the Tunsil deal then and I still do but I also said it was a “win now” move and we would pay for it later. Well we didn’t win and now the bill is due which means a couple of years of eating baked beans instead of steak.

I know the idea of basically sitting out a draft sucks especially when you know the season isn’t going to be worth watching but that the situation we find ourselves in. Let’s just hope whoever the new GM is can wheel and deal in F/A.

Time to clear the deck and start over. DW4's feelings be damned. It's not like he's a rookie. He's been in the NFL 4 freaking yrs

That is true. Plus, a new GM and HC may want a QB they pick. Has happened many times before. And to get the job they are not going to say that Watson is not going to work. They will say that they love him. And then in a season or two...he would be in an open comp with a hand pocked QB (by the new GM and HC) and loser gets traded. Guess who is going to loose even if it is even? Watson.

That is true. Plus, a new GM and HC may want a QB they pick. Has happened many times before. And to get the job they are not going to say that Watson is not going to work. They will say that they love him. And then in a season or two...he would be in an open comp with a hand pocked QB (by the new GM and HC) and loser gets traded. Guess who is going to loose even if it is even? Watson.

Watson has a no trade clause.

I did the math on the difference in cap space yesterday , I think its something like $5.7m

Lol at DW4 feelings be damned. F setting this kid and team up for success.

I tell you some fans literally take things too personal when it comes to Watson.

I'm not saying that he is bad/good/indifferent. I am just saying that a new power structure is coming in and we have seen good QBs get pushed aside for the new regimes hand picked QB.

People are just too insane about how they feel. Some love him some hate him and some don't care as long as we win.

I'm not saying that he is bad/good/indifferent. I am just saying that a new power structure is coming in and we have seen good QBs get pushed aside for the new regimes hand picked QB.

People are just too insane about how they feel. Some love him some hate him and some don't care as long as we win.

I’ve seen that too. I believe they will bring in someone who will be able to work with Watson skill sets. I don’t see them going with another Bill O’Brien type who doesn’t want to adapt to his key components skill sets. I also highly believe Watson is very studious and astute. He’s very coachable and whoever the coach is, will enjoying working with him.

But to say damn his feelings is way out of line. He hasn’t shown a diva type attitude period.

Another agenda base negative unwarranted response imo.

Not talking about you

Last edited:
Watson was dealing with a different GM and HC. If he is told even making "X" a year you can get traded or sit. You have to think, unless he is a fool, he is picking trade.

If you are a coach with a proven winning record and trust of the fan base you MIGHT can get away with benching your franchise QB. If you are a new coach, particularly if you are a first time HC, then you play the money as the saying goes. Even BB got overruled when the face of the franchise went to the owner and said I’m unhappy, make this problem go away. Hell we just saw that with the Texans. Any GM and HC brought in will come in knowing that the rest of the team maybe up to them but Watson is the QB.

Dw4's getting to basically pick his own guy for HC,

If this fails I cant wait for all of the excuse makers.

That will keep the excuse makers busy.

I tell you some fans literally take things too personal when it comes to Watson.

Tell me what setting DW4 up for sucess looks like in your mind and how long it will take him to find this success, 4 yrs and counting?

Watson was dealing with a different GM and HC. If he is told even making "X" a year you can get traded or sit. You have to think, unless he is a fool, he is picking trade.
Cal is past this now,

It's all about martking.

If you mean in the draft there are always good players every year that might be available. Texans are going to have to make some hard choices in this rebuild and one of those is skipping the next draft basically or just being bit players.

I agreed with the Tunsil deal then and I still do but I also said it was a “win now” move and we would pay for it later. Well we didn’t win and now the bill is due which means a couple of years of eating baked beans instead of steak.

I know the idea of basically sitting out a draft sucks especially when you know the season isn’t going to be worth watching but that the situation we find ourselves in. Let’s just hope whoever the new GM is can wheel and deal in F/A.
I just disagree, we have the QB and LT. This roster with some tweeks will be interesting. No not even Division Champ for at least two years but can be some good football. The frustration for most of us comes from the decisions of Bill O'Brien Now he is gone.

There are good candidates for both GM and head coach and frustration also comes from no evidence we will land one of each. I'm going to wait and see as it gets old biotching just to do so.

We can get a WR, CB, safety and RB this off season. 2022 is when we move for significant starters. No I'm not sitting out this draft. I will even watch the remaining nine games.

You know this team is jacked. Why do you hate DW4 so much that you would doom him to another year here?

You know he ain't the problem. Three head coaches & two interim HCs into this, you know the problem is higher up.

Let him go. Let him be happy. Let him be free. If he loves you, he'll come back to you.

I am convinced you just don’t ’t know football. And you’re just hating on the youngster for no freaking reason.

I didn't claim to know football, I'm just an observer.

0 pts in the 1st half last week.
Atleast with the vbye they have a chance to improve and maybe kick a FG against the lowly Jags vin 2 weeks.

Reality is a birch sometimed

Who were these GOOD QBs that got pushed aside?

Dw4's getting to basically pick his own guy for HC,

If this fails I cant wait for all of the excuse makers.

That will keep the excuse makers busy.

And if it works,

are you then going to proclaim that's the way to go?

That will keep the haters at bay.

Back