Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Schedule release today (04.23.14)

@CLE is not going to be a gimme game that game will prob be our toughest of the year

and @ raiders can go either really good or bad im thinking Matt will light us up or hell who ever the QB is Really I mean a mc lovin raider led team lit us up

You seriously look at that schedule and only see six wins?

Is your nick-name BongHit?

Who looked at last year's schedule and saw 2 wins? Not that predictions are anything but pointless, whether you see 10 wins or 6 or whatever, but even more so when teams will look a lot different in September than they do in April.

Just imagine they get Khalil Mack & Bridgewater with their two first rounders.

:kitten:

I thought they really liked Derreck Carr

no matter what happens tho all the 2nd teir QB will be at our picking and maybe if Johnny is gone and CLE picks Bridge water wouldn't that means some how Blake Bortles falls to 2nd round which would be crazy IMO

I really like Savage tho him or zetenburger

This schedule could effect the way they draft. If they see that they have a legitimate chance to make a run this year, they could reach for a need player instead of sticking with BPA.

I don't think them knowing when and where they are going to play the teams they already knew they were going to play is going to greatly shift their draft philosophy.

I don't think them knowing when and where they are going to play the teams they already knew they were going to play is going to greatly shift their draft philosophy.

Probably not, but the first five games are definitely winnable, and by that time whoever you draft will be much more productive than they were game one. It was just a thought. I hope they go BPA the first three rounds and then grab a QB unless someone falls.

Every year some bad teams turn into good ones and good ones fall on their asses. Who's to say this will turn out to be an easy or difficult schedule?

Every year some bad teams turn into good ones and good ones fall on their asses. Who's to say this will turn out to be an easy or difficult schedule?

Chances are the Colts are going to play good football in 2014. & if it's close in the 4th qtr, they'll more than likely win it.

Chances are the Ravens will play some really good football as well. That's not based on what they did last year at all, but what they had done the five or 6 years before.

The Steelers, pretty much the same thing. Like the Ravens, they are prone to shooting themselves in the foot from time to time & losing games they have no business losing.

Every other team on our schedule has a history that goes back several years of shooting themselves in the foot with much greater consistency than what we've seen from the Ravens & Steelers. Much, much greater consistency. They have not shown the ability to put together a good program.

You're right, every year a team comes out of nowhere & puts it all together. The 49ers were about as bad off as the Raiders before they got Jim Harbaugh. So it could happen.

It could be any team on our schedule. But history is against it. Three years, five years, ten years... we've got some bad teams on our schedule.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should win 10 games, or even eight. I'm just saying we've got a very good opportunity to win a lot of games even though we may not be very good in 2014.

To expand on what I said 4 weeks ago.

AvgWins_zps32c07981.png

A little more than just strength of schedule. This looks at the win totals of all our 2014 opponents (division rivals counted twice) over the last five years. On average, our opponents have won 8 games. On average, we've won about 8 games.

The main point, is that good teams usually win, bad teams usually lose, & mediocre teams are usually mediocre. Over the last 5 years, we've been more mediocre than bad & we'll be playing 8 games against teams that have been worse than we've been over that same time period.

Every now & then you'll have a team that wins more than they normally do. There is a step change in that organization. Sometimes it is sustained, sometimes it isn't. But there are some teams on our schedule that are primed to make that step change... Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville... However, I think we're just as likely to make another step change, for the same reason those teams are. New coaches, plenty of defensive talent, questions at QB, questionable depth, we all share the same issues. More or less.

Every now & then you'll have a team that loses a lot more than they normally do & we have teams on our schedule that are primed to do just that. Cincinnati, NYGiants, Philly... Houston.

But the main point is that our schedule is soooooo weak, not because we're playing a bunch of teams that didn't win a lot last season, but because we're playing a bunch of teams that have been pretty bad over the last 5 years.

If I were to stretch this out over ten years, several of those teams would have very similar averages. They've been that bad for that long. Oakland, Cleveland, Buffalo, Jacksonville... some of those teams their averages will go up, meaning they've been progressively getting worse... Dallas, Pittsburgh, NYGiants, Tennessee. Some of them their averages will get worse, meaning they're doing better now than they have been, historically; Cincinnati, Houston.

For a comparison, looking at Kansas City. Over the last five years, they averaged 6.8 wins. We've been better than them over the last five years. Not by much, but better.

This in no way guarantees that we're going to be win 10 games. That's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying that our "rebuild" won't take two or three years. What I am saying is that we don't have to be very good to have a winning season based on our history & the history of the teams on our schedule.

Expecting 4-6 wins against the likes of Jacksonville, Buffalo, Cleveland, Tennessee, & Oakland is setting our expectations way, way too low.

To expand on what I said 4 weeks ago.

AvgWins_zps32c07981.png

A little more than just strength of schedule. This looks at the win totals of all our 2014 opponents (division rivals counted twice) over the last five years. On average, our opponents have won 8 games. On average, we've won about 8 games.

The main point, is that good teams usually win, bad teams usually lose, & mediocre teams are usually mediocre. Over the last 5 years, we've been more mediocre than bad & we'll be playing 8 games against teams that have been worse than we've been over that same time period.

Every now & then you'll have a team that wins more than they normally do. There is a step change in that organization. Sometimes it is sustained, sometimes it isn't. But there are some teams on our schedule that are primed to make that step change... Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville... However, I think we're just as likely to make another step change, for the same reason those teams are. New coaches, plenty of defensive talent, questions at QB, questionable depth, we all share the same issues. More or less.

Every now & then you'll have a team that loses a lot more than they normally do & we have teams on our schedule that are primed to do just that. Cincinnati, NYGiants, Philly... Houston.

But the main point is that our schedule is soooooo weak, not because we're playing a bunch of teams that didn't win a lot last season, but because we're playing a bunch of teams that have been pretty bad over the last 5 years.

If I were to stretch this out over ten years, several of those teams would have very similar averages. They've been that bad for that long. Oakland, Cleveland, Buffalo, Jacksonville... some of those teams their averages will go up, meaning they've been progressively getting worse... Dallas, Pittsburgh, NYGiants, Tennessee. Some of them their averages will get worse, meaning they're doing better now than they have been, historically; Cincinnati, Houston.

For a comparison, looking at Kansas City. Over the last five years, they averaged 6.8 wins. We've been better than them over the last five years. Not by much, but better.

This in no way guarantees that we're going to be win 10 games. That's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying that our "rebuild" won't take two or three years. What I am saying is that we don't have to be very good to have a winning season based on our history & the history of the teams on our schedule.

Expecting 4-6 wins against the likes of Jacksonville, Buffalo, Cleveland, Tennessee, & Oakland is setting our expectations way, way too low.

I have a bet against a Giants' fan. We won't be as bad as last year & they're not Super Bowl contenders anymore.

Back