Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

You're not lost. The answer is none. Based on @steelbtexan's definition and the 15% QB threshold. A championship QB doesn't need to win a championship. They just have to have certain traits needed to win a championship before their salary exceeds 14-15% of the salary cap.

So, Jimmy G, Josh Allen (I think), Justin Hebert and Joe Burrow are all considered championship QBs. However, Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, and Warren Moon are not championship QBs.

To identify the traits of a championship QB who have not won a championship, @steelbtexan will have to explain his methodology.
A team has a 7 to 8 yr window from the time a QB is drafted to win a championship, due to the cap. This has been proven since 1994 when the cap was 1st instituted.

No Fouts and Moon weren't championship level QB's they lost to lesser teams in the playoffs. I never felt Marino had the superior team and lost.

A team has a 7 to 8 yr window from the time a QB is drafted to win a championship, due to the cap. This has been proven since 1994 when the cap was 1st instituted.

I don't get the confusion, either. It's just a stat, but one supported by facts:

"Only one QB since 1994 has won a Super Bowl with a cap hit percentage higher than 13, per Thompson, and that was 49ers legend Steve Young, whose deal predated the salary cap itself." - CBS Sports (Here's the ideal salary range for Super Bowl-winning QBs, and why Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson may benefit)

So, if you are a GM. Every 7-8 years, if you have a franchise QB you would trade him for picks and voluntarily go into QB purgatory? What is the point of the threshold if your team is going to suck until you find another QB?

So, if you are a GM. Every 7-8 years, if you have a franchise QB you would trade him for picks and voluntarily go into QB purgatory? What is the point of the threshold if your team is going to suck until you find another QB?
What's the point of holding onto a QB, even a great one if you can't win a championship with him?

You would think the owners would realize this, but I think marketing has a lot to do with this.

And an exercise that should happen every 8 years. Trade your franchise and use the picks to find another franchise QB. Atleast that's what history says you should do
So, in 3 years, the Chiefs should trade Mahomes and expect to draft another rookie QB who will produce like Mahomes? IMHO. As long as you have Mahomes, you will contend. Winning a championship is a combination of coaching, talent, luck and even getting hot at the right time.

I think this is one of these approaches that sounds good on paper, but the game isn't played on paper. As long as you're in the hunt, anything can happen.

Last edited:

Good question. I don't have the answers. Just commenting on the basic data of it.

What makes logical sense (to me) that that spending larger amounts of your cap on one player - even a QB - will have potential negative implications on the rest of your roster.

Maybe it's not being able to afford better offensive weapons, or a better OL, or a pass rusher, or maybe it's just not having much depth on your bench, but, it's a zero sum game. Giving too much here takes from somewhere else.

It's going to be interesting to see if this trend continues as the contracts continue to escalate for one position over all others. Time will tell.

So, in 3 years, the Chiefs should trade Mahomes and expect to draft another rookie QB who will produce like Mahomes? IMHO. As long as you have Mahomes, you will contend. Winning a championship is a combination of coaching, talent, luck and even getting hot at the right time.

I think this is one of these approaches that sounds good on paper, but the game isn't played on paper. As long as you're in the hunt, anything can happen.
History says you should trade him and use the picks to find a new QB and plus use those picks to rebuild your team. This has been a fact since 1994.

I don't get the confusion, either. It's just a stat, but one supported by facts:

"Only one QB since 1994 has won a Super Bowl with a cap hit percentage higher than 13, per Thompson, and that was 49ers legend Steve Young, whose deal predated the salary cap itself." - CBS Sports (Here's the ideal salary range for Super Bowl-winning QBs, and why Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson may benefit)
The rabbit hole that we get in vs steelb is he discounts qbs who have lost sbs or made it to the championship games who salary exceeded this threshold. When you team make it to those levels and lose, it had nothing to do with that percieved glass ceiling. Not to mention, its eliminating guys like Mahomes and Allen with new deals and saying they will never win it again or for the 1st time, which I disagree.

I took the survey the Texans sent out. I favor the red helmets and red uniforms. There is only one team with a red helmet in the NFL while there are 9 teams including the Texans with dark blue or black helmets.

There are only 3 NFL teams with red jerseys.

I took the survey the Texans sent out. I favor the red helmets and red uniforms. There is only one team with a red helmet in the NFL while there are 9 teams including the Texans with dark blue or black helmets.

I would like the red jerseys with the white/blue pants

History says you should trade him and use the picks to find a new QB and plus use those picks to rebuild your team. This has been a fact since 1994.
You don't make sense.
The QB pay had only become dramatic lately, but it occurs throughout the league.

It doesn't matter the percentage.

League-wise, QBs' salaries have risen across the board as a percentage of the teams' cap.

I don't believe in the window that you said a team have once they draft "a supposedly franchise QB:"

Manning and Favre among the old-timers.

To me, it's more about preserving you're cap capital and push it in a certain year when you think your team have s great chance to win it all.

Otherwise, Tunsil is just another player..
He did say he wants to reset the LT's salary/contract, didn't he?

A merchant for hire.

And you would love to have him on the team to teach the youngsters.

I would’ve added Gun Metal Gray Metallic Helmet and Pants.

Steel Blue, Battle Red, or Liberty White would look great on that background.

As for Throwback Uniforms….a new Horizon Blue would replace Steel Blue. Duck the Adams Family, not sure they have any rights to Horizon Blue that’s a slightly different shade….or custom color.

I will literally dive into a wood chipper Ala Fargo if we continue wasting pick after pick drafting tightends we don't use.

All these coordinators over the years might've kept their jobs had they forgone their te fetish.

The cap comes into play. Your QB can't make more than 15%of the cap.
businessman-with-head-stuck-in-sand-at-the-beach.jpg

With these last two games, Texans have a chance to let Mills loose.
Yes, have a game plan, but let him call audibles and call plays with what he sees on the field.
He probably does some of that already, but put more responsibility on him to force him to think on the run to see what he's really got.
If he gets lost, then you help him out.

You don't make sense.
The QB pay had only become dramatic lately, but it occurs throughout the league.

It doesn't matter the percentage.

League-wise, QBs' salaries have risen across the board as a percentage of the teams' cap.

I don't believe in the window that you said a team have once they draft "a supposedly franchise QB:"

Manning and Favre among the old-timers.

To me, it's more about preserving you're cap capital and push it in a certain year when you think your team have s great chance to win it all.

Otherwise, Tunsil is just another player..
He did say he wants to reset the LT's salary/contract, didn't he?

A merchant for hire.

And you would love to have him on the team to teach the youngsters.
they could learn from his work ethic vs a guy who can't play like Burkhead

With these last two games, Texans have a chance to let Mills loose.
Yes, have a game plan, but let him call audibles and call plays with what he sees on the field.
He probably does some of that already, but put more responsibility on him to force him to think on the run to see what he's really got.
If he gets lost, then you help him out.
I definitely agree

they could learn from his work ethic vs a guy who can't play like Burkhead
They could also learn about the "me first" you pay I play malaise.

I'm telling you this is just an entertainment business some of these guys are in.

Tunsil is nowhere near the premier LT yet he wants to reset the market.

If that's how a GM is supposed to succumb to a hostage situation, Caserio would be just like OB.

But what does he cares. He gets all the money to go along with the charade until he gets fired.

The losers, as usual, are the Texans fans.

Back