Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

I'm not really knowledgeable enough to make the call about Tunsil but I do think that sometimes draft choices & cap space trump one talented player.

If this is the case with Tunsil I leave to smarter people than me to say.

Currently, to make an understatement, Texans are underperforming with splash plays from our rookies and one high pick that hasn't made the field yet.
All it takes for a good off season is for a couple of spark plugs brought in to give this team an injection of excitement.
A couple of good pass rushers and some danger players in our offense is all it will take to ramp up the impetus for our young guys and turn this team around.
I'm not suggesting SB by any means but could take this team back to AFC contention with at least some hope for more to come with successive off seasons.

Last edited:
Currently, to make an understatement, Texans are underperforming with splash plays from our rookies and one high pick that hasn't made the field yet.
All it takes for a good off season is for a couple of spark plugs brought in to give this team an injection of excitement.
A couple of good pass rushers and some danger players in our offense is all it will take to ramp up the impetus for our young guys and turn this team around.
I'm not suggesting SB by any means but could take this team back to AFC contention with at least some hope for more to come with successive off seasons.
Although improvement is always desirable, one of the Texans defensive bright spots is our pass rush. We don't have that premier, highlight rusher, but the Texans do currently rank 18th in sacks, with 28.

Sure. If you are on the side to prioritize defense. I could go with this, but I'm on the side who would rather prioritize offense.
As I mentioned in another post, adding a couple of playmakers on both sides of the ball will kick start this team.
This should be doable this off-season and it should be possible to repeat that process the one after that.
Adding 4 playmakers to both sides of the ball over the next two off-seasons can potentially turn this team around 180°.

As I mentioned in another post, adding a couple of playmakers on both sides of the ball will kick start this team.
This should be doable this off-season and it should be possible to repeat that process the one after that.
Adding 4 playmakers to both sides of the ball over the next two off-seasons can potentially turn this team around 180°.
If I were to guess, this approach would be the odds on direction the Texans will take.

However, if the decision is to take a qb with the first selection, and that qb is Young, I'm not sure this is the right way to go. Although I don't have the doubt some have in selecting Young, I would want to emphasize his supporting cast.

And I’m starting with the quarterback position. Lol

Chicago and Denver are the only two remaining 3 win teams in competition with the Texans for that coveted 1st pick. Chicago has the Eagles, Bills, Lions and Vikings left, and they could easily lose all four. Denver has the Cardinals, Rams, Chiefs and Chargers left and might pick off one or two of those. I think all we need to worry about is Chicago losing out and the Texans winning two of their remaining three division games. And it's unlikely the Texans will win two more games this season. Indy is crashing and burning, Titans will beat us, and Jacksonville is much improved compared to the Texans.

Of course Jacksonville is Jacksonville, so there's that.

Don' laugh guys but I got a bad feelin that Lovie might put it all together now and win a couple games and lose that #1 overall position. It could happen because you know we'll be favored when the Jags come to town, so anyway I'm worried.
As long as Tunsil is in there creating false starts in crucial moments we should have nothing to worry about. 🤣

Supposedly, the NFL office wants teams to see the costs of instability and sent teams a report showing that they have spent $800 million on fired coaches and front-office executives over the past five years. With talks about firing Lovie Smith, will the McNairs also take this report into consideration?

"Two coaches have already been fired in 2022—Carolina Panthers' Matt Rhule and Indianapolis Colts' Frank Reich—both having four years remaining on their contracts at more than $8 million per season.

The New York Giants are paying three different coaches at the same time. Former coaches Pat Shurmur and Joe Judge were both fired with significant time left on their contracts, while current coach Brian Daboll is in his first year with the team. The Houston Texans fired David Culley after just one season, and they now must make a decision on first-year coach Lovie Smith following a 1-11-1 start to the year."

ESPN: NFL Informs Owners That Teams Spent $800M on Fired Coaches, Execs Over 5 Years | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Last edited:
..Watching John Harris on Texans 360 is like watching N. Korea state ran T.V.

Jesus Christ that man can polish a turd. He's the band leader on the Titanic. :hankpalm:
Marc Vandermeer is already the band leader. With his voice inflections, "rock and roll" calls and the overall fake enthusiasm makes him worse than Harris.

To be fair. I know they are paid by the Texans and can't be as cynical or even objective as the fans. However, when the Texans are losing, they are just flat out annoying and makes me wonder if they think the fans are stupid enough to buy their Kool-Aid.

Last edited:
Supposedly, the NFL office wants teams to see the costs of instability and sent teams a report showing that they have spent $800 million on fired coaches and front-office executives over the past five years. With talks about firing Lovie Smith, will the McNairs also take this report into consideration?

"Two coaches have already been fired in 2022—Carolina Panthers' Matt Rhule and Indianapolis Colts' Frank Reich—both having four years remaining on their contracts at more than $8 million per season.

The New York Giants are paying three different coaches at the same time. Former coaches Pat Shurmur and Joe Judge were both fired with significant time left on their contracts, while current coach Brian Daboll is in his first year with the team. The Houston Texans fired David Culley after just one season, and they now must make a decision on first-year coach Lovie Smith following a 1-11-1 start to the year."

ESPN: NFL Informs Owners That Teams Spent $800M on Fired Coaches, Execs Over 5 Years | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

I wonder if this is because this may affect a team’s bottom line for revenue sharing.

I don't know if anyone caught the interview with Lovie regarding the success of Andy Reid. Lovie kept emphasizing the main reason for Reid's success was his ability to adjust and change his schemes and coaching as the game has changed over time. I find that interview very telling in that Lovie has continually failed to appreciate his own game being stuck in the stone ages.

Back