Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

Again, you're cherry picking the few who it works out for. And those you have mentioned are high drafts picks. Ben 11th overall, Young 1st overall. Even Vestaverde who I think you've mentioned was 1st overall. Those are guys who are expected to get it together. And yes, I realize there's plenty of 1st rounders who flop.

And I'm not saying that Mills can't make it because he was drafted in the 3rd round. If Mills were making some progress I might feel differently, but if anything he looks to be regressing.

And I have no problem developing a QB1. I just don't think the Texans have one of those to develop.

You could make the case that Mills would have been a first round pick had he stayed at Stanford last season, which would put him the category you describe as “expected to get it together “. Mills left school early because he didn’t want to take the risk of missing time due to Californias Covid restrictions. For me, if Mills had come out of Stanford with 30-40 games experience and he showed similar regression I’d be more concerned this is who he is. However, with a little over a season of college experience I’m willing to cut him some slack. It is also important to note this is a new offense, and though he has some experience in it, that experience amounts to basically one season. Look at how poorly Wilson’s season has started in Denver and he’s an experienced high level QB playing with terrific weapons around him.

I have no idea what Mills will become, and I am NOT happy with his play this season. He has to play better. I am willing to give him some time to develop. Look at the Dolphins this season with Tua. Miami tried everything they could do to replace him, including tampering with Brady and trading for Watson with all his baggage. Instead they upgraded his weapons and he’s playing much better this season. Look at Hurts progression in Philly. The Eagles tried to trade for Watson as well but he rejected the Eagles, now Hurts is playing at a high level.

You could make the case that Mills would have been a first round pick had he stayed at Stanford last season, which would put him the category you describe as “expected to get it together “. Mills left school early because he didn’t want to take the risk of missing time due to Californias Covid restrictions. For me, if Mills had come out of Stanford with 30-40 games experience and he showed similar regression I’d be more concerned this is who he is. However, with a little over a season of college experience I’m willing to cut him some slack. It is also important to note this is a new offense, and though he has some experience in it, that experience amounts to basically one season. Look at how poorly Wilson’s season has started in Denver and he’s an experienced high level QB playing with terrific weapons around him.

I have no idea what Mills will become, and I am NOT happy with his play this season. He has to play better. I am willing to give him some time to develop. Look at the Dolphins this season with Tua. Miami tried everything they could do to replace him, including tampering with Brady and trading for Watson with all his baggage. Instead they upgraded his weapons and he’s playing much better this season. Look at Hurts progression in Philly. The Eagles tried to trade for Watson as well but he rejected the Eagles, now Hurts is playing at a high level.

Not to mention Tua had 24 starts for Alabama while Hurts had 42 starts between Alabama and Oklahoma. This included both regular season and playoff games. Mills had 11 regular season starts with Stanford. Both of these guys are just now beginning to gain their NFL legs after being drafted in 2020. Also, a pretty decent difference between the Dolphins, Eagles, and the Texans. Mills out performed both Tua and Hurts last season while playing for an inferior team. I'm not ready to knee-jerk Mills to the sideline after 15 NFL starts with the Texans.

Not to mention Tua had 24 starts for Alabama while Hurts had 42 starts between Alabama and Oklahoma. This included both regular season and playoff games. Mills had 11 regular season starts with Stanford. Both of these guys are just now beginning to gain their NFL legs after being drafted in 2020. Also, a pretty decent difference between the Dolphins, Eagles, and the Texans. Mills out performed both Tua and Hurts last season while playing for an inferior team. I'm not ready to knee-jerk Mills to the sideline after 15 NFL starts with the Texans.

Yep, as far as this goes I'm for bringing in a vet to compete with Mills next season and adding weapons for whoever wins the job to give the QB's their best chance to succeed. If you dont like what you see next yr then draft a QB in 2024. Which is a better QB class. IMHO

Yep, as far as this goes I'm for bringing in a vet to compete with Mills next season and adding weapons for whoever wins the job to give the QB's their best chance to succeed. If you dont like what you see next yr then draft a QB in 2024. Which is a better QB class. IMHO
I hear you, but I looked at the vet list a while back, and kind of thought Gardner Minshew is one of the better options, egad. Maybe someone more washed up to be a mentor, but in terms of playing ability the list sucks

I hear you, but I looked at the vet list a while back, and kind of thought Gardner Minshew is one of the better options, egad. Maybe someone more washed up to be a mentor, but in terms of playing ability the list sucks

One of Jimmy G/Minshew/Cooper Rush on a reasonable 3 yr deal. YR 1 potential starter, yr 2 Starter, draft pick takes over in the middle of the yr, YR 3 high end backup.

We saw two teams that have veteran QBs that some would argue have a 50/50 shot of being HOF. Both forgot how to play football. But those two teams may be looking to draft a QB.

Plus Seattle. Chicago. Saints. Falcons. WFT.

7 teams plus the Texans could be looking to draft a QB next year.

If we have that number one pick it will be worth listening to offers. Might get a kings ransom.

Just saying.

And it is good that Colts won last night. Helps us win that top spot.

We saw two teams that have veteran QBs that some would argue have a 50/50 shot of being HOF. Both forgot how to play football. But those two teams may be looking to draft a QB.

Plus Seattle. Chicago. Saints. Falcons. WFT.

7 teams plus the Texans could be looking to draft a QB next year.

If we have that number one pick it will be worth listening to offers. Might get a kings ransom.

Just saying.

And it is good that Colts won last night. Helps us win that top spot.

Also can’t rule out a vet QB retiring launching that team’s need at QB to the top of their board.

Looking at you Rodgers/Brady!

Would’ve really liked to see this kid play this year. Hoping for a speedy full recovery for him so he can get out on the field next year

As much as I would like to see Nick Foles available in 2023….I doubt the Colts cut him loose based on Ryan’s performances. That being the case, I have my radar aimed directly at Cooper Rush who would be available at season’s end unless Jerrah buys into creating a QB controversy in Cowboy land for the 2023 season.

As much as I would like to see Nick Foles available in 2023….I doubt the Colts cut him loose based on Ryan’s performances. That being the case, I have my radar aimed directly at Cooper Rush who would be available at season’s end unless Jerrah buys into creating a QB controversy in Cowboy land for the 2023 season.
Agree. I am also on board with drafting a top QB - we have 2 R1 picks and likely the #1 pick which I would happily use on the best QB in it.

You could make the case that Mills would have been a first round pick had he stayed at Stanford last season, which would put him the category you describe as “expected to get it together “.
I'm not making that case because I'm not making all the excuses for him. He didn't stay and he wasn't a 1st round pick. So let's go with what is and has actually happened, instead of all the hypotheticals.

I'm not making that case because I'm not making all the excuses for him. He didn't stay and he wasn't a 1st round pick. So let's go with what is and has actually happened, instead of all the hypotheticals.
Yep, he just as easily could have totally flopped like Ridder and gone undrafted if he would have stayed

And those 13 starts at Stanford were across 2 seasons. He only got 5 in his last season there. So he didn't even get to build consistency throughout an entire season

And those 13 starts at Stanford were across 2 seasons. He only got 5 in his last season there. So he didn't even get to build consistency throughout an entire season
He would definitely have a better chance at a top team including coaching but from the eye test, he doesn't have the "it" factor.
I think he will be a long term backup for us, but not our #1.

The funniest thing on that video is Stewart (#29) causing the fumble and in his rush to flex and celebrate a tackle, turns his back to the play is oblivious to the scramble to recover the fumble.

You see it all too often in sports these days. The players are so quick to want to celebrate they miss out on making an even bigger play. Imagine if instead of peacocking to the crowd he got the ball himself or blocked somebody that allowed Reeves-Maybin to pick it up and run for a score. Now THAT would have been worth celebrating!

Not as bad as the ole flex after a tackle 20 yards downfield when your team is losing by double digit points. But it is still not great.

Agree. I am also on board with drafting a top QB - we have 2 R1 picks and likely the #1 pick which I would happily use on the best QB in it.

Unfortunately, there are no QB’s in RD1 that would beat the impact of LB- Will Anderson Jr (Alabama) on defense, WR- Jordan Addison (USC) with the receivers, and/or DB- Antonio Johnson (Texas A&M) as another big and speedy SS/CB weapon to the defensive backfield. Getting 2 or possibly all 3 in RD1 of the 2023 NFL Draft would have an immediate impact on the Texans team.

Unfortunately, there are no QB’s in RD1 that would beat the impact of LB- Will Anderson Jr (Alabama) on defense, WR- Jordan Addison (USC) with the receivers, and/or DB- Antonio Johnson (Texas A&M) as another big and speedy SS/CB weapon to the defensive backfield. Getting 2 or possibly all 3 in RD1 of the 2023 NFL Draft would have an immediate impact on the Texans team.

Will Anderson would look great on this team. Interesting to me comparing him to last year’s top edge rushers. Walker #1 overall then Hutchinson and Thibodeaux who were mocked 1/2 throughout the season.

To me Anderson is clearly a notch above. I read Daniel Jeremiah compare him to Von Miller and I think that is a good comparison. Add Roquan Smith in FA and watch this defense transform! Still need a DT that can stuff the run but Roquan Smith would help a lot in that area.

Just for discussion let's say they drafted Anderson with 1.1. Other teams know they can focus on him taking him out of the game for the most part and who else do they have to worry about? I am not against Anderson and think he is amazing but there are very good Edge rushers later in the draft. After maybe three at most quarterbacks who should all be taken within the top 10 picks there are no other franchise type quarterbacks as of today. Now if you want to take Anderson with the first pick and use the second pick for another rusher like Uzomoah or Foskey or Andre Carter I would not run screaming for the exit. I just think having three number one picks two in the top 10 can get you very good players. I have seen two mocks recently with Jordan Addison falling to the low 20s.

After trade, Stroud @4
Anderson @ 10 from Browns and Addison at 22 would be a done deal for me specifically if we also got #35 from Seattle. That pick plus our own 32 would still bring two instant starters in my opinion.

Will Anderson would look great on this team. Interesting to me comparing him to last year’s top edge rushers. Walker #1 overall then Hutchinson and Thibodeaux who were mocked 1/2 throughout the season.

To me Anderson is clearly a notch above. I read Daniel Jeremiah compare him to Von Miller and I think that is a good comparison. Add Roquan Smith in FA and watch this defense transform! Still need a DT that can stuff the run but Roquan Smith would help a lot in that area.
I have seen Anderson also compared to Khalil Mack coming out of school. Hype wise I think I would compare Will Anderson to the hype that chase young was getting pre-draft.

I would love to have raquan Smith. Why do you think the Bears will let him go? They have over 120 million not including rollover in 2023 cap space. Get your defensive tackle with siaki Ika

Last edited:
Back