Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Position Needs Analysis

I just wanted to see what top 8 positions you folks thought that our team might need the most. I have put together a short-list of what positions that I think we need to enhance based on recent F/A transactions.

Here is my list in order of importance:

1) Offensive Right Tackle
2) Strong Safety
3) Corner
4) Tight End
5) Wide Reciever
6) Middle Backer
7) Running Back
8) Defensive Tackle

+Todd Wade is not that mobile and will not fit well in the zone blocking scheme.

+Glen Early has been dinged up and needs to perform better in a very demanding position

+Someone to complement Faggins as well as to provide depth for the nickle and dime.

+We need a recieving tight end who has some speed

+Our wide reciever core could benefit from another big play WR that can take some of the double teams off of Andre Johnson

+We need another running back to complement Dominick/Wells/Morency

+Now that we are going to be running a 4-3 scheme defense we'll need to add some beef up front.

We won't be able to address all these needs with one draft & free agent period - especially since the players that will be available in this years draft do not exactly align with where our needs lie.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

DominatorDavis said:
I just wanted to see what top 8 positions you folks thought that our team might need the most. I have put together a short-list of what positions that I think we need to enhance based on recent F/A transactions.

2) Strong Safety
3) Corner
4) Tight End
5) Wide Reciever
6) Middle Backer
7) Running Back
8) Defensive Tackle

We won't be able to address all these needs with one draft & free agent period - especially since the players that will be available in this years draft do not exactly align with where our needs lie.

1)Seth Wand- Is very mobile and could prove to be good at RT.
2)Earl is still developing as is Brown, but even if they weren't good they could draft a safety.
3)I don't know what we have but we do have bodies hopefully they show more talent this yr.
4)Putzier is scheduled for next week and we have a good shot at getting him.
5)We persued Givens and might still land him, doubtful though.
6)Agree
7)Bush would address that.
8)We already have quality tackles in T.J. and Smith. If you meant DE then that's also being addressed.

Of all the needs you mentioned I think they can all be filled this offseason. There are only 2-5 needs we really need to address in the rest of the offseason and I think those can be addressed.

Id say our needs in order would be:

DE- Weaver signing helped but Mario would do wonders on the other side in a 4-3...if not Mario... we need some depth...so far Babin, Peek and Weaver is all weve got I believe

C- As of now we are starting a 5th rounder that played in a handful of games...he could turn out to be good but I think we need better

MLB- A true MLB...smart player ball hawk

TE- A dual threat catch/block...until we get one...Juppro and Putzier should do

OT- I think we will be ok with Pitts at LT...if we trade down and grab D'Brick it could be good but it seems unlikely that Pitts will go to Guard after re-signing McKinney..

CB- A player to team up with Dunta...Possibly Jonathan Joseph @ 33?

WR- With AJ, Mathis and possibly Walter we are "ok" ...I think we need to get Gaffney back with the lack of talent on the market...OR...dont flame me for this...but make a push for TO on a 1 or 2 year incentive laden contract.

FS- We already have 2 decent young SS with no true ballhawking FS.

We dont need a SS we need a FS G Earl and CC Brown are both SS.
We have three good DT Smith, TJ, Payne so I wouldnt consider that a need.

dat_boy_yec said:
1)Seth Wand- Is very mobile and could prove to be good at RT.
2)Earl is still developing as is Brown, but even if they weren't good they could draft a safety.
3)I don't know what we have but we do have bodies hopefully they show more talent this yr.
4)Putzier is scheduled for next week and we have a good shot at getting him.
5)We persued Givens and might still land him, doubtful though.
6)Agree
7)Bush would address that.
8)We already have quality tackles in T.J. and Smith. If you meant DE then that's also being addressed.

Of all the needs you mentioned I think they can all be filled this offseason. There are only 2-5 needs we really need to address in the rest of the offseason and I think those can be addressed.

Help me understand your post. I am trying to identify the football needs of our team. How do we go from trying to "fix the problem" to identification of that problem without saying in theory how we could get this guy or that guy and without saying this this or that guy is improving and developing.

I guess a better way of asking this question is - are these the 8 positions that most need improvement? Or do other positions from the Texans roster belong on this list? We we're 2-14 last year so there is clearly room for improvement in many areas. Kickoff & punt return not being one of those areas of need. The purpose of this list is to identify the needs of the team.

Is this list in order of team importance - correct?

2) Strong Safety
3) Corner
4) Tight End
5) Wide Reciever
6) Middle Backer
7) Running Back
8) Defensive Tackle

Dunta_23 said:
Id say our needs in order would be:

DE- Weaver signing helped but Mario would do wonders on the other side in a 4-3...if not Mario... we need some depth...so far Babin, Peek and Weaver is all weve got I believe

C- As of now we are starting a 5th rounder that played in a handful of games...he could turn out to be good but I think we need better

MLB- A true MLB...smart player ball hawk

TE- A dual threat catch/block...until we get one...Juppro and Putzier should do

OT- I think we will be ok with Pitts at LT...if we trade down and grab D'Brick it could be good but it seems unlikely that Pitts will go to Guard after re-signing McKinney..

CB- A player to team up with Dunta...Possibly Jonathan Joseph @ 33?

WR- With AJ, Mathis and possibly Walter we are "ok" ...I think we need to get Gaffney back with the lack of talent on the market...OR...dont flame me for this...but make a push for TO on a 1 or 2 year incentive laden contract.

FS- We already have 2 decent young SS with no true ballhawking FS.

This is a good analysis. If you don't mind - why a center (C) over another corner (CB)?

DominatorDavis said:
This is a good analysis. If you don't mind - why a center (C) over another corner (CB)?

I'd agree that center ranks above CB as a need. It is the weakest position of our line in the passing game and leads to other problems due to the pocket collapsing from the middle. As far as the running game, we did run up the middle fairly well last year (when compared to running left and right). However, Hodgdon wasn't in there long enough to prove if he was part of the reason we ran well inside or not. Most of the running stats were generated with McKinney at center. Brown probably had a positive effect on our inside running game too.

DominatorDavis said:

I think Buchanon may be better than we give him credit for...and when you see a team like New England insert 7th round corners and undrafted free agents and see them suceed as long as the scheme is right...pressure on the QB etc...I dont think Buchanon is a saviour by any means I just think he can do an adequate job...

I put centre over CB because our starting center for the past years has just been moved to guard...there is a hole there...Im hoping Hogdon turns out to be a diamond in the rough but it would be nice to see him work behind a solid Vet like Flanagan for a few years...

If we sign a Solid veteran centre and we draft a CB like Jonathan Joseph at 33 I wouldnt be dissapointed at all...

TexanFan881 said:
I like the idea of getting Joseph, do you think he can step up and beat Buchanon for a starting job?

Im not sure if he would step in and start from day 1...but if Buchanons play slipped and there was no intent on renewing his contract I could definately see a rookie playing #2 or # 3 CB...

i think P.B would be pretty descent if he wasnt so risky always trying to make ints insted of just breaking-up the pass. i mean d.rob didnt have but 1 int this year but he still covered recievers really well and was a big key to our defense.

Here is how I rank em as far as needs where we may use FA over the draft. I will then list what I believe we will draft

1. Tight End - I think I will see bigfoot before I see Joppru in an NFL game. Please address this problem with Putzier a player with experience in Denver's scheme.

2. 4-3 End - We have the tackles but we need a run stuff and unmoveable LE and to find a Pass rush /disruptor at RE (Weaver addresses LE)

3. Center - If we address this with Flanagan forget Mangold as a Draft pick. We need a true Center so that hogdon has to win the starting job.

4. 4-3 MLB - LB are a Dime a dozen right now and shouldnt have such a premium placed on them with the talent available in the draft.

5. FS - Brown was servicable but I think we can draft someone.

6. OT - New system requires a total reevaluation of what we have on the line especially at tackle.

7. WR - I think if we resign gaffney we are just fine Mathis can be our bradford replacement same speed with hopefully improved hands. Kudos to detroit for signing Bradford so we dont have the temptation to resign him here.

There So far it looks like we are addressing what I feel is important. I just hope they work out and play good for a change.

I think that MLB is our biggest need. If we sign Flanagan at center, that will address that need, which I think will happen. Signing Putizer will address our TE need along with at healthy Joppru. My personal opinion is that if Joppru can finally get healthy, he'll be a very dominant TE.
After that we need a #2 wide receiver. We have players on our team that could "potentially" fill that need (Mathis) but are unproven. I think Gaffney will make great strides as a possession receiver. He was awesome at Florida doing just that, but our "genious" previous offensive coordinators couldn't figure that out. I also think that Armstrong could fit the 3rd/4th receiver position being as good as he is across the middle with great hands. Our number 2 receiver needs to be able to stretch the field, ala why we kept Bradford around as long as we did. We need some speed, with hands, to fill that position, then some hands to fill our #3 position, which I think we already have with Gaffney or Armstrong.

Eh depends on the situation Id really like to have 1 #1 reciever then 3 floating receivers with no real # attached.. Like if we need 10 yards on 3rd down with 2 TE id like to see AJ, Gaffney. If Its a 1st and 10 mathis and AJ. I think that would really confuse the coverages especially when the D plays a man coverage.

DominatorDavis said:

2) Strong Safety
3) Corner
4) Tight End
5) Wide Reciever
6) Middle Backer
7) Running Back
8) Defensive Tackle

+Todd Wade is not that mobile and will not fit well in the zone blocking scheme.

+Glen Early has been dinged up and needs to perform better in a very demanding position

+Someone to complement Faggins as well as to provide depth for the nickle and dime.

+Our wide reciever core could benefit from another big play WR that can take some of the double teams off of Andre Johnson

+Now that we are going to be running a 4-3 scheme defense we'll need to add some beef up front.

Badly ordered list.

This type of thread has been floating around a lot, and my opinion is on most of them. We have the three W's who can all play RT. We have 2 SS who start. We have more pressing needs than a #3 CB to replace faggins. The WR need is pending, but still does not warrent a high need. MLB is much higher, seeing as we have no MLB on our roster who deserves to start. RB and DT are the strongest areas of our team. Assuming we go the unfortunate but likely way of Bush, that just adds to our RB clog.

Thats just from your list. Your comments afterwards now:

+Todd Wade is not that mobile and will not fit well in the zone blocking scheme. Your right, he is not the most mobile, but he is an adequate RT. Weigert and Wand are both very capable of playing RT. Our best option for RT IMO is currently our "franchise" LT.

+Glen Early has been dinged up and needs to perform better in a very demanding position Glen Earl was banged up when we drafted him. He has been good since. He was the second rated S behind the famous Sean Taylor. He was a second round talent with a knee injury. He is a find SS and above the league average.

+Someone to complement Faggins as well as to provide depth for the nickle and dime. What in God's name are you talking about?? Complement Faggins?!?! What happened to Daunta? If we draft a CB, he will be taking Faggins place. Buchanon is our #2 CB. Get over it. He is better than you would like to give him credit for.

+We need a recieving tight end who has some speed We had Billy Miller, we have Rivers. Both are/were recieving TE's. We need a complete TE. It appears we will sign Jeb, and Bennie was looking good late last year.

+Our wide reciever core could benefit from another big play WR that can take some of the double teams off of Andre Johnson As much as I dislike Bush, if we draft him, he takes a lot of pressure off. Mathis has the speed to take it away, even if his hands aren't perfect. You don't let a WR streak down field uncovered. AJ, Mathis, and Bush will be quite suffice. If you want to add in Armstrong, maybe Gaffeny, and the Canadian guy...our WR group is great.

+We need another running back to complement Dominick/Wells/Morency You don't "need" another RB to complement the 3 you already have. Assuming we take Bush, thats 4. RB is not a need. That should just be common sense.

+Now that we are going to be running a 4-3 scheme defense we'll need to add some beef up front. We won't look D-line early. We have a surplus of DT's and enough guys for DE. We will only add depth at DE like maybe a Ray Edwards in the 4th round.

My list:

1. MLB - We have no one on our roster capable of playing MLB at the NFL average. Simply put, this is not a need, its a must. I like Ahmad Brooks in the Sup. Draft.

2. LT - Our best RT is playing LT for the forseeable future. Pitts is a Jon Scott type player. He is best suited for RT while he shows flashes of being starter material. This will not be addressed high in the draft, but it is a very high need regardless.

3. FS - We also have no FS's on our roster. Earl and Brown are both SS's. A ballhawk is needed. I like Ko Simpson, Donte Whitner, and Jason Allen. The FA class is very weak for FS. (Hope is WAY overrated, he got his numbers from Troy wreaking havoc)

4. C - We don't really have a proven C on our roster. I like hodgen, but would like to see a vet. I'm not sure on Nallen but an older C could be had in FA. As it stands right now, this is a big need considering Hodgen's injury problem and his assumed back up in McKinny.

5. TE - This is only this low because of some pending results and only this high because those results aren't final yet. Putzier will be a welcome addition but he is more of a billy miller TE than a complete TE. I like Joppru and I really like Fasano from ND in the 3rd or 4th. Bennie is the complete TE, but is a non-factor for this team thus far.

6. OG - This is a need, but will not be addressed too early. The FA market suited a base scheme and were quite pricey. Guys I like include Settersom, Eslinger, Chester, Spencer and the OG from USC that is not Luiti.

7. CB - Simply put we need someone to replace Faggins and compete with Buchanon. We are unlikely to find that guy immediatly, but maybe a project CB like Gordon or Hester. Maybe a steal like Cromietine or Allen.

8. DE - We signed Weaver, so this need dropped down the list. Peek and Babin will be able to hold the other side, so we need more depth than anything. I really like Ray Edwards from Purdue. He has the talent to start and make an impact as a rookie.

Well ill throw in my two cents.

MLB: I can see why this is a need.. and I also think we are going to have a real hard time addressing it this offseason. I see no really solid route that we can take in this area..so we may be forced to make due until an opportunity arises.

FS: We have no REAL FS on the roster. Ko Simpson has my vote with the #33 pick.

TE: I think the solution to this is coming during FA..but we will see. Normally I dont worry too much about TEs.. they are nice, but not necessary to a winning team. However..Kubiak makes good use of his TEs and id like to see us have at least one TE that can fill that role for him in our offense. If we dont address the problem in FA..trading down a few spots in the first and grabbing another second rounder could land us Ko Simpson and a top TE..possibly Pope or Byrd.

OG: With Milford Brown gone..we are looking thin at Guard. Wiegert has been injured fairly often lately as well. We need to grab us an OG in the 3rd or 4th... Im looking at Davin Joseph, Jason Spitz, and Mark Setterstrom.

DE: Weaver is a great signing.. and Babin or Peek are possible DEs on the roster.. but id still feel alot better if we had someone like Mario Williams.

CB: I think we can make it through this season with the "questionable" starting lineup of Dunta Robinson and Buchanan/Faggins.. but I want to see us pick up a CB on the first day just to give us that option. He can cut his teeth on nickle and dime packages..and maybe take over at #2 CB by midseason. My vote? Richard Marshall with the #65 pick. He is a Dunta clone.

And thats it.. I cant really think of another spot where we NEED a player. Here are some other honorable mentions though.

WR: We could end up needing one if we arent careful. Bring back Gaffney and I think we will be just fine at this position though. Gaffney, Mathis, and Armstrong strike me as a good group of WRs to have opposite of Andre Johnson. ONE of these guys is gonna be able to handle the #2 spot.

OT: We have Pitts who we KNOW can play LT. Then we have Wand, Wade, and Wiegert... all possibilities for RT. I find it hard to beleive that we wont be able to get a good solid starter at RT out of one of those three.

RB: Yes it is a bit of a need. DD cant handle a full NFL workload.. we need someone good to share carries with him.

Anyway.. if you cant tell from my needs list here.. this is how id like to see the Draft go.

Trade down for an extra second and third.

1) Mario Williams
2) Ko Simpson
2) Leonard Pope
3) Richard Marshall
3) Davin Joseph
3) dunno..an RB would be nice but depends on who is available.

Grid said:
Anyway.. if you cant tell from my needs list here.. this is how id like to see the Draft go.

Trade down for an extra second and third.

1) Mario Williams
2) Ko Simpson
2) Leonard Pope
3) Richard Marshall
3) Davin Joseph
3) dunno..an RB would be nice but depends on who is available.

This draft works for me just fine. I would be celebrating in the streets and singing a jingle towards CC.

first and foremost i think we'll end FA with putzier and flanagan coming on board...i also think we will re-sign all of our RFA's along with gaffney and wells...since neither of those two guys for some reason are getting any attention on the market they should come back without huge contracts that being said i mostly agree with YTF but here are a few changes assuming that we actually sign the guys i see us signing

1. MLB...when you run the 4-3 defense you need a solid backer to play in the middle...in round two we have our choice of jackson, hodge, or howard and all three of those guys can play inside...also brooks will probably be coming out in the supp. draft the only thing about him is will casserly and co. pass on him due to character issues

2. #2 reciever...until gaffney is able to prove that he's able to perform to that level we need someone...now a rookie isn't going to be able to step up into that role right away...unless something crazy happens and we end up in a trade down and pick up chad jackson...highly unlikely...i think the best option is probably yet to be seen...moulds might be released and we have another houston native in keenan mccardell...two solid recievers at the end of their career

3. CB...this might not be a big need if buchanan learns to tackle but i'm not holding my breath...joseph in round 2 would be good if we had a plan for the MLB but i think cedric griffith in round 3 would be perfect...not the fastest corner but definetly one that will tackle

4. DE...we did sign weaver but he's human and injuries will occur...so we do need another strongside DE just in case he gets hurt...guys like ray edwards, victor adeyanju, eric henderson, and julian jenkins are all day two type guys that could give us some depth

5. OL...i think kubiak has his starting line-up pretty much figured out...remember i am assuming that flanagan is going to be signed...that said if winston fell to us at number 33 i think it would be in our best interest to pick him up over the MLB...then move pitts to RT next year and start winston at LT...other than that we need a lot of back-ups to bring in...guard types that would work for us would be rob sims, chris kuper, fred mutua(YTF that's the kid from usc you were thinking of), and aaron lips for louisana tech...tackles that might fit the system would be sowells, whimper, toudoze, and toledo

6. FS...i have this need lower than where i believe we will draft to fix it...personally i think we should give brown and earl one more year to see what that tandom can do but i agree we need more of a ballhawk at FS...that being said if jason allen were to some how fall to the 3rd round that's who i see us picking up...otherwise look for pollard, watkins, and hudson

7. TE...i think by now we all know our situation with that position

that's pretty much my list just one other note worth mentioning...i've heard through a friend of mine who is an a&m athletic trainer that the texans are looking hard at john jolley...he's a one gap DT probably in the 6th round or so

After our FA pickups i would lit our needs at
1.TE- sure handed,good blocker,decent speed
2. C- need to shore up that line
3. MLB- Wong not in good shape after surgeries
4. WR- need a solid #2 if we don't land a FA here
5. CB- A Dunta double
6. OT- need depth
7. RB- RBBC
:ok:

I want to answer some of your questions here. I like your comments. I've responded to your earlier statements.

Dom

YoungTexanFan said:
Your right, he is not the most mobile, but he is an adequate RT. Weigert and Wand are both very capable of playing RT. Our best option for RT IMO is currently our "franchise" LT.

Weigert is a guard, Wand will have to prove his worth to the new coaching staff as he was sub-par at LT last year, and Wade is big tough and slow. Either way there is a need at right tackle.

Glen Earl was banged up when we drafted him. He has been good since. He was the second rated S behind the famous Sean Taylor. He was a second round talent with a knee injury. He is a find SS and above the league average.

Earl has yet to play an entire season. Though I hope that he does as I believe that he is as good a talent as we all do. However, the position is still a question mark. So if you think that that he will stay healthy - by all means continue believing that. Just given the injuries of Earl and what he has had to overcome to remain in the line-up, it'd be smart to have insurance

What in God's name are you talking about?? Complement Faggins?!?! What happened to Daunta? If we draft a CB, he will be taking Faggins place. Buchanon is our #2 CB. Get over it. He is better than you would like to give him credit for.

These are great questions and I will gladly answer each one of them. Who mentioned God anyway? Yes complement Faggins. Nothing happened to Dunta - he is the #1 starter and deserves that status. Buchannon is a liability and was demoted to 3rd string at the latter half of the season. What is it that you want me to get over? I didn't demote him. I'll give Buc credit for being a play maker - that's for sure. But whether he is making the big plays for the defense or the opposing teams offense is the question. Hence the need for a corner for the nickle or the dime.

We had Billy Miller, we have Rivers. Both are/were recieving TE's. We need a complete TE. It appears we will sign Jeb, and Bennie was looking good late last year.

Billy Miller is not on the team anymore. He was cut before the beginning of last season. Rivers had only 24 receptions last year and is a good special teams player. Bennie is an enigma. If he comes back this year and plays well - it will be one of the greatest stories for a comeback player. I am hoping that Joppru can return to the field - that would get me excited. But the intent to sign Jeb shows that we have a high need at Tight End.

As much as I dislike Bush, if we draft him, he takes a lot of pressure off. Mathis has the speed to take it away, even if his hands aren't perfect. You don't let a WR streak down field uncovered. AJ, Mathis, and Bush will be quite suffice. If you want to add in Armstrong, maybe Gaffeny, and the Canadian guy...our WR group is great.

The Texans management extended an offer to Givens and just signed Walter to an offer sheet. We lost Bradford to the Lions (which is not a big deal) so we need to fill that slot. I think that is enough to show that there is a need at wide reciever

You don't "need" another RB to complement the 3 you already have. Assuming we take Bush, thats 4. RB is not a need. That should just be common sense.

If we take bush it's no longer a need I agree. But today - right now, pre-draft and pre free agent running backs banging down the door, running back is a need on our team. I was fine with them cutting Hollings - dumb pick

We won't look D-line early. We have a surplus of DT's and enough guys for DE. We will only add depth at DE like maybe a Ray Edwards in the 4th round.

You are right about the DT's. DE is a much higher need. TJ is a solid solid down lineman and we're loaded at that position. good call

keyfro said:
i've heard through a friend of mine who is an a&m athletic trainer that the texans are looking hard at john jolley...he's a one gap DT probably in the 6th round or so

I've always liked that Jolley kid. It'd be nice if they can get him.

DominatorDavis said:

2) Strong Safety
3) Corner
4) Tight End
5) Wide Reciever
6) Middle Backer
7) Running Back
8) Defensive Tackle

This team biggest need is a starting QB.

My answers are in bold....

Weigert is a guard, Wand will have to prove his worth to the new coaching staff as he was sub-par at LT last year, and Wade is big tough and slow. Either way there is a need at right tackle.

Weigert is a natural Guard, but so is Pitts. Weigert played some RT last year for us, and he did a great job for what we asked of him. Wand is not a LT, but neither is Pitts. Wand is a quicker Todd Wade, who should be fine at RT or even RG. Wade is only here for depth IMO, but he will play still. He is a mauler type who can play in a pinch. Our best RT is Chester Pitts.

Earl has yet to play an entire season. Though I hope that he does as I believe that he is as good a talent as we all do. However, the position is still a question mark. So if you think that that he will stay healthy - by all means continue believing that. Just given the injuries of Earl and what he has had to overcome to remain in the line-up, it'd be smart to have insurance

Insurance is one thing, but having SS as a top 3 need on our team is a bit of a stretch. Even if you want to use Earls minor health questions to knock the guy, he back up is our starting FS. CC Brown was quite a surprise story last year, but look at this from a talent perspective. Brown is a big hitter for his size, but he does not have the speed or instincts to play center-field. Depth is fine, but not at this high a need.

These are great questions and I will gladly answer each one of them. Who mentioned God anyway? Yes complement Faggins. Nothing happened to Dunta - he is the #1 starter and deserves that status. Buchannon is a liability and was demoted to 3rd string at the latter half of the season. What is it that you want me to get over? I didn't demote him. I'll give Buc credit for being a play maker - that's for sure. But whether he is making the big plays for the defense or the opposing teams offense is the question. Hence the need for a corner for the nickle or the dime.

Glad to hear Daunta's not out of your plans. Buchanon was not "demoted" at the end of the year. He was hurt and on the IR or PuP list. Judging any DB in our system is not fair to them. Daunta sucked it up last year by the same standards your holding buchanon to. Also, if you watch the game film, you will notice that once Buchanon came back from his benching before his injury, he was throwing his body around and making plays. Faggins is not starter material, and may not even be back up material. Again, depth at CB is fine, but not at this high a need. A Jason Allen in the 3rd would fix a lot.

Billy Miller is not on the team anymore. He was cut before the beginning of last season. Rivers had only 24 receptions last year and is a good special teams player. Bennie is an enigma. If he comes back this year and plays well - it will be one of the greatest stories for a comeback player. I am hoping that Joppru can return to the field - that would get me excited. But the intent to sign Jeb shows that we have a high need at Tight End.

I used past tense when refering to Miller in my last post. I was not saying Rivers was the answer, merely listing him under that pass catching TE that you think we need. I'm not holding my breath on Bennie, and neither is the team. I listed TE in the middle of our needs with the pending deal with Jeb. We realize this is a need, but from where I stand and his profound intrest in us, TE is covered for now.

The Texans management extended an offer to Givens and just signed Walter to an offer sheet. We lost Bradford to the Lions (which is not a big deal) so we need to fill that slot. I think that is enough to show that there is a need at wide reciever

Givens was not worth what he got, and I'm glad he walked. Bradford was never in my plans for WR, even last year. Mathis can easily take the place of what Bradford did and more. Gaffeny and Armstrong are not being pursued at all. They should both resign. Bush, if we make the mistake of drafting him, will indeed provide another outlet. We also have that Canadian guy who is their stud. We MAY look WR in the 5th or so, maybe the guy out of Hofstra or Cory Rodgers.

If we take bush it's no longer a need I agree. But today - right now, pre-draft and pre free agent running backs banging down the door, running back is a need on our team. I was fine with them cutting Hollings - dumb pick

We currently have DD and Morency. Wells is getting no looks, and should resign. We just signed Cook who is more of a pass catching FB who can run the ball. He is the short yardage back. With the assumption that we will draft Bush, that is now 4-5 RB/FB + our FB Moran Norris.

You are right about the DT's. DE is a much higher need. TJ is a solid solid down lineman and we're loaded at that position. good call

Thank you

YoungTexanFan said:
Glad to hear Daunta's not out of your plans. Buchanon was not "demoted" at the end of the year. He was hurt and on the IR or PuP list. Judging any DB in our system is not fair to them. Daunta sucked it up last year by the same standards your holding buchanon to. Also, if you watch the game film, you will notice that once Buchanon came back from his benching before his injury, he was throwing his body around and making plays. Faggins is not starter material, and may not even be back up material. Again, depth at CB is fine, but not at this high a need. A Jason Allen in the 3rd would fix a lot.

YTF I respect your analysis. I like middle backer at top need for this team. But right below that I'd say that something has to be done about the offensive line.

As far as Buchannon is concerned I just dont think that he is that good of a player. Now I could be wrong and the guy could be Superman - but he has not played with any consistency, with neither the Raiders nor us. He's flash - bright for one second in time...while blinding spectators to the holes in his coverage ability. He's a supreme athlete with terrible coverage instincts. Having said that, I hope that he improves and proves those who doubt the strength of his play - wrong. But on an ABC scale I give him barely passing with a C-.

YoungTexanFan said:
Badly ordered list.

This type of thread has been floating around a lot, and my opinion is on most of them. We have the three W's who can all play RT. We have 2 SS who start. We have more pressing needs than a #3 CB to replace faggins. The WR need is pending, but still does not warrent a high need. MLB is much higher, seeing as we have no MLB on our roster who deserves to start. RB and DT are the strongest areas of our team. Assuming we go the unfortunate but likely way of Bush, that just adds to our RB clog.

Thats just from your list. Your comments afterwards now:

+Todd Wade is not that mobile and will not fit well in the zone blocking scheme. Your right, he is not the most mobile, but he is an adequate RT. Weigert and Wand are both very capable of playing RT. Our best option for RT IMO is currently our "franchise" LT.

+Glen Early has been dinged up and needs to perform better in a very demanding position Glen Earl was banged up when we drafted him. He has been good since. He was the second rated S behind the famous Sean Taylor. He was a second round talent with a knee injury. He is a find SS and above the league average.

+Someone to complement Faggins as well as to provide depth for the nickle and dime. What in God's name are you talking about?? Complement Faggins?!?! What happened to Daunta? If we draft a CB, he will be taking Faggins place. Buchanon is our #2 CB. Get over it. He is better than you would like to give him credit for.

+We need a recieving tight end who has some speed We had Billy Miller, we have Rivers. Both are/were recieving TE's. We need a complete TE. It appears we will sign Jeb, and Bennie was looking good late last year.

+Our wide reciever core could benefit from another big play WR that can take some of the double teams off of Andre Johnson As much as I dislike Bush, if we draft him, he takes a lot of pressure off. Mathis has the speed to take it away, even if his hands aren't perfect. You don't let a WR streak down field uncovered. AJ, Mathis, and Bush will be quite suffice. If you want to add in Armstrong, maybe Gaffeny, and the Canadian guy...our WR group is great.

+We need another running back to complement Dominick/Wells/Morency You don't "need" another RB to complement the 3 you already have. Assuming we take Bush, thats 4. RB is not a need. That should just be common sense.

+Now that we are going to be running a 4-3 scheme defense we'll need to add some beef up front. We won't look D-line early. We have a surplus of DT's and enough guys for DE. We will only add depth at DE like maybe a Ray Edwards in the 4th round.

My list:

1. MLB - We have no one on our roster capable of playing MLB at the NFL average. Simply put, this is not a need, its a must. I like Ahmad Brooks in the Sup. Draft.

2. LT - Our best RT is playing LT for the forseeable future. Pitts is a Jon Scott type player. He is best suited for RT while he shows flashes of being starter material. This will not be addressed high in the draft, but it is a very high need regardless.

3. FS - We also have no FS's on our roster. Earl and Brown are both SS's. A ballhawk is needed. I like Ko Simpson, Donte Whitner, and Jason Allen. The FA class is very weak for FS. (Hope is WAY overrated, he got his numbers from Troy wreaking havoc)

4. C - We don't really have a proven C on our roster. I like hodgen, but would like to see a vet. I'm not sure on Nallen but an older C could be had in FA. As it stands right now, this is a big need considering Hodgen's injury problem and his assumed back up in McKinny.

5. TE - This is only this low because of some pending results and only this high because those results aren't final yet. Putzier will be a welcome addition but he is more of a billy miller TE than a complete TE. I like Joppru and I really like Fasano from ND in the 3rd or 4th. Bennie is the complete TE, but is a non-factor for this team thus far.

6. OG - This is a need, but will not be addressed too early. The FA market suited a base scheme and were quite pricey. Guys I like include Settersom, Eslinger, Chester, Spencer and the OG from USC that is not Luiti.

7. CB - Simply put we need someone to replace Faggins and compete with Buchanon. We are unlikely to find that guy immediatly, but maybe a project CB like Gordon or Hester. Maybe a steal like Cromietine or Allen.

8. DE - We signed Weaver, so this need dropped down the list. Peek and Babin will be able to hold the other side, so we need more depth than anything. I really like Ray Edwards from Purdue. He has the talent to start and make an impact as a rookie.

Outside of beerloovers draft anaylists, best post on this board in months. Very nice job.

DominatorDavis said:
YTF I respect your analysis. I like middle backer at top need for this team. But right below that I'd say that something has to be done about the offensive line.

As far as Buchannon is concerned I just dont think that he is that good of a player. Now I could be wrong and the guy could be Superman - but he has not played with any consistency, with neither the Raiders nor us. He's flash - bright for one second in time...while blinding spectators to the holes in his coverage ability. He's a supreme athlete with terrible coverage instincts. Having said that, I hope that he improves and proves those who doubt the strength of his play - wrong. But on an ABC scale I give him barely passing with a C-.

I guess we can just agree to disagree on buchanon for right now.

O-line is one of my top needs, but will be drafted before MLB. Bush pretty much forces all of our needs to wait at least a round, and thats assuming we dont go BPA again with an Orin Harris or some other DT.

Back