Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans need to learn from Cards!!!

DreDaMan05

Practice Squad
Cards played with a passion last night, with a nice mix up of offensive plays which you seen screens, short passes, long passes. Playing against a better team last night you would have not known until the 4th quarter. The players had that fire in their eye which the Texans should have had against the Cowgirls. By all means it was a rival game that we had two weeks to prepare for. The Cards running game was shut down the whole night so what did they do, put Lienert in shotgun and they played to win not afraid to lose. Defense get an attitude come up with a nickname and try to make Sportscenter with every bonecrushing tackle you make (see Urlacher sp?)Texans should open up the playbook for Carr with deep and short passes. And the team need to show passion, when losing throw a helmet down at the end of the game, Kubiak be more like Dennis Green and cuss out the media after a loss and storm out and call out the players if they not doing good. Show me some emotions Texans show me that you can't stand losing anymore. Get mad and play do something!!!:brickwall

"I didn't go to sleep (Sunday night), because I was trying to figure out what happened in the second half against the Cowboys."

As soon as Gary figures out what 'happened,' he'll get back to us--but, remember, he said the same thing about our 2nd half against the Eagles--so give him some time...:brickwall :brickwall

6 turnovers, 2 sacks, 2 defensive touchdowns, and a punt return for a touchdown would've gone a long way on Sunday....

I really don't know if I want the Texans to lose a game like the Cards did last night. It's bad enough to have a losing record 7 straight seasons. But to be up 23-3 at the half against the Bears on MNF, and then to choke like they did in the second half . .

They should have won that game, plain and simple . . just like the Oilers should have won that game against Buffalo.

Letdowns like that are hard to erase.

Even if the Cards lost in a painful way while lets admit it they choke, they played with passion and was in the game for four quarters which I rather the Texans would lose like. Instead of that bashing the Cowgirls gave us. For goodness sake Romo threw a touchdown against us, that right there should have made Kubiak go off during the press conference. I am just sick of these blow outs and then the Texans getting up for press conference and act like they don't care. Most high school kids play with more emotions than the Texans and I am sick of it.:brickwall But I can't stop rooting for them I'm a Texans fan for life.:redtowel:

The Cardinals are the very last organization the Texans should emulate. I'll stick with the Broncos.

"I didn't go to sleep (Sunday night), because I was trying to figure out what happened in the second half against the Cowboys."

As soon as Gary figures out what 'happened,' he'll get back to us--but, remember, he said the same thing about our 2nd half against the Eagles--so give him some time...:brickwall :brickwall

My take on what happened Sunday. Got to see the debacle live in person.

They had 3rd and bout 4 yds. They ran the play, we stopped them. They got a motion penalty. The fans started booing Bledsoe and TO half way into the FIRST quarter. when TO slipped down on a pass play, they really started the booing. Anyway needless to say we had a guy dilly dallying getting off the field, too many men on the field penality. They penalties offsetted each other, re-play the down. Instead of 4th and a field goal to tie it 6-6, they got the first down. Next play TO got his first TD of the game. They fans went wild. They were so loud. The team got pumped for the crowd noise. They were cutting up, waving for the fans, they were pumped and started kicking our butts.

Just wonder if they had just got a field goal instead of that first down and TD, would it have been different.

Bobby 119C

Must be nice living in a fantasy land where you can change philosophies and personnel overnight.

It takes awhile to rebuild. Knee jerk reactions will get nowhere.

I really don't know if I want the Texans to lose a game like the Cards did last night. It's bad enough to have a losing record 7 straight seasons. But to be up 23-3 at the half against the Bears on MNF, and then to choke like they did in the second half . .

They should have won that game, plain and simple . . just like the Oilers should have won that game against Buffalo.

Letdowns like that are hard to erase.

I am going to pretend that you didn't bring that up!!!!

It's really hard being a Texan fan, but I think ppl are reaching at this point if were looking up to the Cards.
Dennis Green might not even have a job after this season.

Kubiak just needs a B-12 shot in hisbutt, a great draft,,,ahh never mind...we need another 3 drafts to get this figured out.

:crutch: :brickwall I guess reality just set in.

Must be nice living in a fantasy land where you can change philosophies and personnel overnight.

It takes awhile to rebuild. Knee jerk reactions will get nowhere.

...so true, especially when you change personnel and philosophies on a daily basis

Ok the Cards was a bad team to mention, but I just love the emotion they played with. I love the emotion that Dennis Green had after the game. They really wanted to win that game against the undefeated Bears. And they should have won. Did you see the Texans or Kubiak act like that Sunday? And write this down if Matt Lienart show that much passion every Sunday the Cardinals will get really good real quick!!

Would you like Carr to have passing plays like Lienert had? They need to open up the playbook 5 wideouts, 3 wideouts, mix it up.

Ok the Cards was a bad team to mention, but I just love the emotion they played with. I love the emotion that Dennis Green had after the game. They really wanted to win that game against the undefeated Bears. And they should have won. Did you see the Texans or Kubiak act like that Sunday? And write this down if Matt Lienart show that much passion every Sunday the Cardinals will get really good real quick!!

I thought the Cards found a way to lose instead of a way to win. Was a good game, and I really thought they were going to pull it out. But Dennis Green got conservative instead of blasting away at the Bears. They had the Bears so confused. I still can't believe they lost that game...

When you lose by 1 or 2 you know you matched the other team, but we have lost every game by doulbe digits, and that hurts worse. I am so disappointed in the play calling of the Texans, I believe this team will self distruct like last year, when everyone knew, no-one had a clue, as to how to win a game on the coaching staff. Kubiak is the one in fantasy land changing RB at the drop of a hat since the pre-season, he knew he was going to let these guys go then, and now we are lost. As for the Complete Back, Willie Parker was an unrestricted/undrafted free agent, that's a pick-up a GOOD Gm can find.
So where's ours?

The Texans should take a closer look at what the Bears did, win the game with Special teams and defense. Their offense wasn't even helping them.

The Texans should take a closer look at what the Bears did, win the game with Special teams and defense. Their offense wasn't even helping them.

Exactly! I don't think the Cards choked at all, except for Rackers. Urlacher played like a man possessed!! Kinda reminded me of our game against the Steelers a couple years ago. Defenses DO win games!!

Yeah, I was surprised by the score last night as well. Didn't watch the game, but to see the Cardinals almost take on from the Bears? This year? Are you kidding me?
As for our problems, yes we need a better running game, but I still we can win at least three to four more games this year, which is saying a lot for a team with a new coach and in a rebuilding phase.:fans:

Was gonna start a new post, but couldn't. So, since the quote was noted here a few times - I'll post my addition / thought here.

Another pretty good "feel good" article in the chronic today. If nothing else, I'm glad the front office has the long term focus. For some reason, I feel they're honest about their relationship (more than the previous group where it was all talk).

Anyway, enjoyed this part:
...<Kubiak says> "I feel a tremendous responsibility to 4 1/2 million people because Houston's my
hometown and I know what this means to everybody," Kubiak said Monday. "I didn't go to sleep (Sunday night), because I was trying to figure out what happened in the second half against the Cowboys.

"I don't know how many games we're going to win or lose, but I promise you this: I'm going to coach us through this. I know I'm the guy that can help us turn this around. I know I'm equipped to handle what we're going through. I truly believe we're going to win. And we're going to win for Mr. (Bob) McNair, and we're going to win for the fans."

No matter how much success the other new coaches have this season, team owner McNair is sure he made the right hire for the Texans.

"The thing that all successful coaches have in common is that they're strong leaders," McNair said. "After getting to know Gary a whole lot better since we hired him, I'm more certain than ever that he has the leadership ability we need.

"Gary's straightforward with his players. He doesn't play favorites. He doesn't sugarcoat things. I think the players appreciate those qualities in him. We all do.

"Obviously, we're going through tough times, but you don't hear Gary making excuses. He doesn't blame injuries or point a finger at the previous administration."

McNair believes Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith have what it takes to lead the Texans out of the abyss in which they've been trapped the last two seasons.

"Losing isn't fun, and it's definitely not for sissies," McNair said. "Sure, I hoped we'd play better. I'm disappointed, but I'm not discouraged.

"I want to win now, but I understand the situation. It takes time for a new coach and general manager to get the people they want in place. I know we're going to win. Hopefully, it's going to be sooner instead of later."

McNair, Kubiak and Smith had their usual Monday meeting. They emerged more determined than ever to do whatever it takes to finally bring a winner to Houston.

"Of course we're frustrated with losing, but we're also totally committed to winning," McNair said. "We're going to do everything we can to get where we want to be. We're not going to ease off the pedal until we do.

"And when we do win, we're really going to appreciate it because of what we've gone through. And when we win, it's going to be an exciting time for us and the fans."

... and losing is not for sissies. :redtowel: As for figuring it out and getting back to us, I'm sure he'll do just that. Gotta clean up the mess left behind while learning a new role and managing an entire team. Heck, Capers didn't figure it out and he got back to us with the "e" word.

article

the texans are already like the cards ... except we only blew a 3 point lead because of not being able to run the ball. the only area we're different is that their defense can create turnovers. we'll likely be last in turnover differential at the end of the season. run the ball, stop the run, and win the turnover battle. arizona got 2 of them, but because they cant run the ball couldnt finish the game.

I think the Cards have personnel that know how to win, specifically Leinart.

In two consecutive weeks, he has driven the Cards into field position in the final minutes to give his team a chance to win, which is all you can ask for.

The Cards gave that game away, but none of it is Leinart's fault. To this day, I question why teams thought Leinart was not the most impactful QB in the draft. He moves so well in the pocket and creates passing opporunities by not panicking. Considering he is two games in, this kid is gonna be fantastic for the Cardinals.

This kind of poise and leadership will make those around him better. Cards should be 4-2.

"... and losing is not for sissies. As for figuring it out and getting back to us, I'm sure he'll do just that. Gotta clean up the mess left behind while learning a new role and managing an entire team. Heck, Capers didn't figure it out and he got back to us with the "e" word."

I'm not too sure what you're getting so excited about, because the 'only' thing Kubiak has given us so far is 'rhetoric.' He has not backed up one thing he has said to us on the field........

No question, I've never been a Caper's fan but the Texans played better in their first year--4 wins and a lot of close games--than they are playing now. And, at the rate we're going, our stats--including the offense--will be worse.

Offensive 'Guru?' I guess we had the wrong definition............or maybe we just misunderstood.:confused:

No question, I've never been a Caper's fan but the Texans played better in their first year--4 wins and a lot of close games--than they are playing now. And, at the rate we're going, our stats--including the offense--will be worse.

The 2002 team was a better team. We at least had an established veteran defense that kept us in games (and even won a few). We have not been able to replace aging players with equal or better players over and over and over via the draft or thru FA. It's really mind-boggling but we are just not as good as that 2002 team...it's really sad.

Also, I have a hard time watching an offense centered on 4 yard passes. 5 years of watching an offense that can't get the ball upfield is just so :brickwall

The 2002 team was a better team. We at least had an established veteran defense that kept us in games (and even won a few). We have not been able to replace aging players with equal or better players over and over and over via the draft or thru FA. It's really mind-boggling but we are just not as good as that 2002 team...it's really sad.

Also, I have a hard time watching an offense centered on 4 yard passes. 5 years of watching an offense that can't get the ball upfield is just so :brickwall
Who threw the 4 yard passes? Every time(almost)?

I'm not too sure what you're getting so excited about, because the 'only' thing Kubiak has given us so far is 'rhetoric.' He has not backed up one thing he has said to us on the field........

Rhetoric? How can you call it rhetoric?

In the two weeks between games afforded by the bye he promised they would look at changes. And change we did! We cut a TE masquerading as a FB and signed a second string FB. Sure, neither of them dress for games anyway, but that's not the point.

If that's not enough, we then leapfrogged Brad Bedell with Eric Winston for the swing tackle spot. And Winston played!

This week, after the absolute worst offensive performance we've seen in a while we cut a punt returner/seldom used CB.

-------------------------------------------

But enough of that. I am interested to see what we do at RB this week. Will it be run Dayne some more, or will he be held accountable for his play too? He may get bailed out by the injury.

How about the o-line? Shouldn't there be changes in a unit that couldn't support a run for one yard in multiple attempts last week? We don't even see that 3 guard rotation that was explained to us.

Same thing with the defense - we have lots of underperforming positions. Will Peek ever take the field, or is this another year of a free ride for him?

The DBs aren't doing much either; I don't think cutting one that wasn't playing does much to send them a message. Should we expect changes there?

-----------------------------

If some changes aren't taking place, we should not be talking about how players are being held accountable every time an unpopular bit player is cut.

Who threw the 4 yard passes? Every time(almost)?

Against Dallas, Carr avg 4.6 ypa (yds per attempt)--anything over 7 is usually acceptable--Carr is under this figure for the year, too. His yds for Dallas were less than 130yds and his avg for the yr is now less than 200ypg and falling...Remember, the week before, the Eagles lit the Cowboys up--we didn't even try...and this was on a day when Carr wasn't even sacked!!

Gary promised we would 'play to win'/be aggressive on both sides of the ball/best players play/coach to our player's strength,etc. I expected an 'offensive guru'--instead, we got-so far-a second hand 'clone' of Capers,if not even worse...............:twocents: :brickwall :yikes: :crying:

It would be nice if we could at least have this offense with that 02 defense.

I understand this thread though. The first thing I thought when I was watching the game was the intensity level the Cards were playing with. We haven't seen that level in two, going on 3 years now.

Vinny, you mentioned how our 02 defense even won a couple of games for us. I am sure you are referring to the game against Pitt in Pitt where our defense scored 3 TDs for us to win 24-6. Not sure if you remember, but after that game I posted something to the effect that when you looked in the eyes of Foreman and Sharper, they had this killer instinct put up your dukes cuz I'm coming for you verociousness about them. We don't have that anymore.

That is exactly what I mean the Cards went in underdogs against the high and mighty Bears and took it to them for 3 quarters and should have won if it was not for the strong Bears defense. Its about passion and that fire in your heart that wins more games then anything

Against Dallas, Carr avg 4.6 ypa (yds per attempt)--anything over 7 is usually acceptable--Carr is under this figure for the year, too. :

I agree with the overall aggression point you were making in your post and it is a combination of Kubiak and Carr. Just FYI--though Carr still has a 7.2 ypa on the season. As a team the Texans are 11th in the league on ypa so while dinking and dunking bores some people (funny it seems to bug them more about some teams/QB's than others) there are a bunch of teams doing it.

The Cards played so well they fired there Off. Cord. today. Is that what we want to learn from them or is there another point to the story?

The point is they played with a will to win. They was the big underdog and came in and started a war with the Bears. It was just the Bears defense was to much for them. Now let me ask you did you see the same in the Texans against the Cowgirls????

The point is they played with a will to win. They was the big underdog and came in and started a war with the Bears. It was just the Bears defense was to much for them. Now let me ask you did you see the same in the Texans against the Cowgirls????

I would love to see some sort of fire in the Texans...

But to answer your question honestly, NO. Nor have I seen it since they been playing for the past couple of years.

I do remember seeing it once for sure, when we beat the cowgirls the first year 19-10... I saw that fire and desire that day...

The 2002 season opened with a win over a bad dallas team. That was followed by a 21 point loss, 20 point loss, 18 point loss, 7 point loss, and 17 point loss before our next win. The 2002 team was not a better team at this point in the season. If this team gets the running game down, it will be much better than the 2002 team.

I agree with the overall aggression point you were making in your post and it is a combination of Kubiak and Carr. Just FYI--though Carr still has a 7.2 ypa on the season. As a team the Texans are 11th in the league on ypa so while dinking and dunking bores some people (funny it seems to bug them more about some teams/QB's than others) there are a bunch of teams doing it.

JMO, but I think what fans think of the offensive scheme of their team depends on whether the team is winning--or at least being competitive. Too, it's not just about scoring points (though we are near the bottom), because Denver has scored fewer pts but is winning because their defense is giving up even fewer pts.

However-in the Texans situation-we are

--not scoring many points
--giving up a lot of points (more than last yr so far)
--getting blown out
--winning few games
--not playing 4 qtrs of the game

So,IMO, it's all about winning or--in our case--giving a 'decent' performance.

Looking back at that game in Arizona,

Texan Fans need to learn from Cardinal fans too. They weren't down on their team even though they had 1 loss, they were lould on defense, quiet on offense and when things got bad they stayed right there through it all.

The 2002 season opened with a win over a bad dallas team. That was followed by a 21 point loss, 20 point loss, 18 point loss, 7 point loss, and 17 point loss before our next win. The 2002 team was not a better team at this point in the season. If this team gets the running game down, it will be much better than the 2002 team.
No way our current defense is more talented than the 2002 team. We were middle of the road statistically with an awful offense. Today we have an awful defense and a bad offense. We were a better team back then because we had more talent than we do today after 5 years of bad drafting and our inability to replace the expansion draft players.

Agree and they also didn't do two other things quit and get down on themselves.

60 MINUTES!!!! CAN WE GO 60 MINUTES??!!

No way our current defense is more talented than the 2002 team. We were middle of the road statistically with an awful offense. Today we have an awful defense and a bad offense. We were a better team back then because we had more talent than we do today after 5 years of bad drafting and our inability to replace the expansion draft players.

I agree with that.. and to add too.. how good would that defense have been (not saying top 5 or anything) IF it had an offense that could actually control the clock a little bit..Offense was just in "don't get Carr in long 3rd down situations and don't get Carr killed"

be interesting what our record would be right now with the 2002 defense and th2 2006 offense... 2-3? 3-2? but that is another story

Vinny I have to know who does your hair???

I watched the Bears/Cards again on NFL Replay(I love the NFL Network). I was amazed at how packed that place was.

When was the last time they had a winning season??

I watched the Bears/Cards again on NFL Replay(I love the NFL Network). I was amazed at how packed that place was.

When was the last time they had a winning season??

It is deceiving, you assume that most of those fans are Cardinals fans. There are a lot of Bears fans in Phoenix and they travel well. A lot of Bears fans in L.A. road trip to Phoenix to see their team play because (a) it is closer than Chiacgo, (b) it is cheaper than going to Chicago, (c) it's supposed to be a really nice, new stadium, and (d) they don't play USC this year... only trip to the west coast.

Strangely, because the Cubs do spring training (or at least used to), in Phoenix area, there has always been a Chicago affinity in Phoenix... A winter home so to speak.

If you re-watch that game again, note how much cheering goes on after the Chicago TDs in the 4th quarter, in particular the Devin Hester punt return td. You can see it in the stands.

Strangely, because the Cubs do spring training (or at least used to), in Phoenix area, there has always been a Chicago affinity in Phoenix... A winter home so to speak.

That's like there used to be a ton of Cowboys fans in LA because they had training camp out there.

Back