Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans' linebackers

after watching him play for two years I have a hard time comprehending how Okoye would have been the highest rated defensive player on the draft board.

I agree. I wanted Willis from the 1st scouting report I read. If not him, a trade down. It kills me that we not only passed on him, but took Okoye at all. One of the trade down rumors was Brandon Marshal and a 2nd. Thats sick.

Back to the topic:

The injury makes it very important to get an OLB. Spencer is a hard lesson. Diles was playing fine, but not so overwelming that he cant be upgraded. Considering Adibi seems a little fragile a swing OLB with size cant hurt. Just take an SEC guy. They are Big and Fast.

after watching him play for two years I have a hard time comprehending how Okoye would have been the highest rated defensive player on the draft board.

frustrating to watch him struggle inside against one gap assingments.

OULADS (pro-draft service) rated him 9.17 (19th overall on the draft board) 2nd highest rated DT (Alan Branch #1 who slipped to Arizona #33). thats just one example how opinions vary. Coming out Amobi Okoye imbodied a sweet combination of intelligence, age, College production, character & workouts building a strong case for teams who needed a solid, young DT with upside. I didn't consider him a reach then nor do I consider him a reach now after two years in the NFL. even though his production does not reflect improvement, he is looking alot stronger, more explsovie & everydown type of tackle. So it takes him three years instead of two- in the longrun another foundation piece on Texans DL IMO :twocents:

I think we're in a position to take the best player available at our draft spot. We only have 5 positions that don't need upgrading, in my opinion: WR, QB, TE(TE is optional, but I like ours), PK,P.
Having said that, if there were a Ware or Johnson type LB on the board, I DON'T think we'll take a DT. We take the LB.
Overall, I'm not too worried about the draft. Kubes and Smith ROCK on draft days. Free Agency, on the other hand, can be disappointing.

I wonder if we are still going to have move Demeco posts/threads after he has gone to his 6th pro-bowl at MLB.
Probably because like former Oiler Bruce Matthews, a person can excel at more than one position allowing someone to satisfactorly fill (in this case mlb) and moving Matthews or Ryans to another area giving more over all strength to team.

Great story, smart, nice guy and tons of potential. I think it was one of those "let's pray we just hit a homerun picks" that teams can afford to make when they have a better supporting cast. If our DL was already strong, Okoye would be making more plays left and right. Instead, now the first couple seasons we're paying him handsomely to learn the game and to try and put it together.
I was big on CB Darrell Revis since top CB's are hard to find and he has really played up to his billing as shown by the fact that he going to his first pro bowl and we wouldn't have needed to sign Jacques Reeves and could have spent that money on a good OLB or S perhaps....but that's just crying over more expensive spilled milk.

frustrating to watch him struggle inside against one gap assingments.

OULADS (pro-draft service) rated him 9.17 (19th overall on the draft board) 2nd highest rated DT (Alan Branch #1 who slipped to Arizona #33). thats just one example how opinions vary. Coming out Amobi Okoye imbodied a sweet combination of intelligence, age, College production, character & workouts building a strong case for teams who needed a solid, young DT with upside. I didn't consider him a reach then nor do I consider him a reach now after two years in the NFL. even though his production does not reflect improvement, he is looking alot stronger, more explsovie & everydown type of tackle. So it takes him three years instead of two- in the longrun another foundation piece on Texans DL IMO :twocents:
I'm always afraid of the Danny Almonte's of the sports world. I wish he wasn't so easy to redirect and move out of the play, then I'd probably feel better about his upside.

I was hoping for Willis, but at this point all we can really do is hope he steps up next year with a good offseason and hopefully a new DC.

Far as out LB corps go; we need them all fully healthy. Ryans has had an off year and has played best as he can. Groin injuries can be problematic but this team looked a heck of a lot better with him on the field. You got to love effort guys like Diles but I think we could upgrade his spot. Thompson and Bentley are great depth and can probably start in spurts I don't know how I feel about them all season long. I am hoping we go either OG/OC or LB in the first.

Great story, smart, nice guy and tons of potential. I think it was one of those "let's pray we just hit a homerun picks" that teams can afford to make when they have a better supporting cast. If our DL was already strong, Okoye would be making more plays left and right. Instead, now the first couple seasons we're paying him handsomely to learn the game and to try and put it together.
Also, Okoye is only 21.

And his play has been underpreciated by some of the fans this year!

No, he has not shown to be special.
But he's at least solid.

Also, Okoye is only 21.

And his play has been underpreciated by some of the fans this year!

No, he has not shown to be special.
But he's at least solid.

He's a "solid" penetrator. He's been a poor playmaker and very poor at the point of attack. That's just reality. I'm still encouraged and excited about his future. You're right that he's very young and I believe he'll get better. He'll get better also when we put a 330 lb monster next to him over the center.

The easiest move here is Adibi to safety. Opens wide the OLB pick, keeps Demeco where Demeco does it, Diles comes back and (hopefully) continues his upward surge, Adibi doesn't need to put on weight to stay healthy. It just makes too much sense I suppose...

The easiest move here is Adibi to safety. Opens wide the OLB pick, keeps Demeco where Demeco does it, Diles comes back and (hopefully) continues his upward surge, Adibi doesn't need to put on weight to stay healthy. It just makes too much sense I suppose...

Not if he isnt a natural ball hawk. OLB seems like his natural position.

Not if he isnt a natural ball hawk. OLB seems like his natural position.

I thought coverage was his strength as a player? Everything about him seems to point to LB except his size. I don't want him to bulk up and lose what makes him dangerous to oppose but I also don't want him to be thrown around in the land-of-the-giants trying to make plays. As fast as he is, and for as naturally as he seems to play defense I don't think converting to safety would be an excessively hard thing for him to do.

I thought coverage was his strength as a player?

When folks make comments about a LB being great in coverage it is relative to other LBs. It doesn't mean they are great in coverage relative to a DB. Adibi doesn't have the short speed to cover WRs on a regular basis.

I thought coverage was his strength as a player? Everything about him seems to point to LB except his size. I don't want him to bulk up and lose what makes him dangerous to oppose but I also don't want him to be thrown around in the land-of-the-giants trying to make plays. As fast as he is, and for as naturally as he seems to play defense I don't think converting to safety would be an excessively hard thing for him to do.

They say that alot about smaller type LBs, and it normally doesnt work. Boulware and Thomas Brown(I think) from Caronlina are two I remember at the moment. Its just a different game.

I was big on CB Darrell Revis since top CB's are hard to find and he has really played up to his billing as shown by the fact that he going to his first pro bowl and we wouldn't have needed to sign Jacques Reeves and could have spent that money on a good OLB or S perhaps....but that's just crying over more expensive spilled milk.

I'm always afraid of the Danny Almonte's of the sports world. I wish he wasn't so easy to redirect and move out of the play, then I'd probably feel better about his upside.
Ouch! Vinny you had to bring up Revis and open my old wounds. I wanted that CB so bad. If only....

Adibi will not be moved to safety. Not a good idea at all.

I think we have some servicable players at OLB, and no real backup at MLB. I suppose Bentley can back up DeMeco, but I would like to see us grab a guy to be his backup. If we have a chance at Curry I would take him, but if we can't get him we probably should focus on other needs and wait on a LB until the 3rd or 4th round.

We'll see if Adibi can add and keep weight for next year, I think he can be our WLB for many years. Diles I am not sure about. He sure can make tackles when the play is running right at him, but he isn't going to run sideline to sideline making plays IMO. He also doesn't really get down field and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. He is one of those LBers that gets alot of tackles by staying put and letting the play come to him, instead of seeking and destroying the play, if you will. JMO.

I seem to be in the minority in my opinion of Diles.

The last 2 years I've said that our #1 need was an impact OLB. I'm pleasantly surprised at the improved play we've received the past few weeks from our LB's, however we still don't have an impact OLB. At minimum, we need additional depth at all LB positions.

In fact, I've been pleasantly surprised by the overall improved play of the team. This is encouraging enough to me that I believe we can finally say that we can truly draft BPA at every pick this year. Overall team depth is a problem, of course, but can be solved thru drafting BPA's and signing FA's.

The issue I have is that after finishing 8-8 last year we should have started this season off much stronger than we did. Where we are at week 14 is where we should have been in week 1.

The past 2 seasons we've started slow and finished strong. To be a true playoff caliber team we need more consistency from start to finish.

When folks make comments about a LB being great in coverage it is relative to other LBs. It doesn't mean they are great in coverage relative to a DB. Adibi doesn't have the short speed to cover WRs on a regular basis.
Ah, I see....but just to be funny he probably covers as well as our safeties do anyway...

I agree with you when you say he doesn't have a lot of range but he still destroyed the plays when they came to him. He was a bright spot to me because he kept getting better and better all the way up to the injury.

I thought Adibi's weight was effected because of his health issue or some sickness. Once the started treating it he got healthy and could practice/play more. Am I thinking of someone else though?

I thought Adibi's weight was effected because of his health issue or some sickness. Once the started treating it he got healthy and could practice/play more. Am I thinking of someone else though?

Nah, you got it right, Ole Miss. Adibi was underweight to begin with coming out of College. Getting sick only made matters worse. I think he can be a really good LB by only adding 10-15 lbs. I don't think he's lose much speed if any with that amount.

That said, I still wouldn't hesitate if a LB fell in our laps in the draft. :cool:

What is interesting to me is what we have been able to get with lower rounds. It is possible to get seven productive players this draft. Most agree that DE, FS, PB, DT and LB are biggest needs. My opinion is DT rather than LB but regardless, we should meet at least four needs if Smith and Kubes draft as well as they have.

It is possible also that Bulman, Nading and Cochran can develop enough to render 6-8 sacks and resolve DE somewhat.

TJ or Okam or more likely DelJuan could be the run stopper.
Our LBs sans Greenwood could hold it together.
Kubes could be satisfied with progress of DBs.

It is possible to see
1. TE Brandon Pettigrew 6'6" 260
2. OT Phil Loadholdt 6'8" 338
3. RB Shon Green 5'11" 235
4. QB Grham Harrell
5 C Antoine Caldwell 6'3" 305 5.12 probably gone but stick falling some.

I think we have some servicable players at OLB, and no real backup at MLB. I suppose Bentley can back up DeMeco, but I would like to see us grab a guy to be his backup. If we have a chance at Curry I would take him, but if we can't get him we probably should focus on other needs and wait on a LB until the 3rd or 4th round.

We'll see if Adibi can add and keep weight for next year, I think he can be our WLB for many years. Diles I am not sure about. He sure can make tackles when the play is running right at him, but he isn't going to run sideline to sideline making plays IMO. He also doesn't really get down field and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. He is one of those LBers that gets alot of tackles by staying put and letting the play come to him, instead of seeking and destroying the play, if you will. JMO.

You are spot on IMO. He was improving and playing better before he was injured though.

Great post. Sometimes I am amazed at the ideas for safeties on this board. Move a LB to safety :gun:

What is interesting to me is what we have been able to get with lower rounds. It is possible to get seven productive players this draft. Most agree that DE, FS, PB, DT and LB are biggest needs. My opinion is DT rather than LB but regardless, we should meet at least four needs if Smith and Kubes draft as well as they have.

It is possible also that Bulman, Nading and Cochran can develop enough to render 6-8 sacks and resolve DE somewhat.

TJ or Okam or more likely DelJuan could be the run stopper.
Our LBs sans Greenwood could hold it together.
Kubes could be satisfied with progress of DBs.

It is possible to see
1. TE Brandon Pettigrew 6'6" 260
2. OT Phil Loadholdt 6'8" 338
3. RB Shon Green 5'11" 235
4. QB Grham Harrell
5 C Antoine Caldwell 6'3" 305 5.12 probably gone but stick falling some.

So, we improve our high powered offense and not our sive like defense? Not a good idea.

So, we improve our high powered offense and not our sive like defense? Not a good idea.

We have no quality depth on our OL, RB or TE. Everyone seems to be forgetting this. Despite our success on offense depth is still a weekness. We are one key injury away from falling apart. How high powered do you think our offense would be if Duane Brown or Steve Slaton goes down? THink we can be productive with Salaam or White starting on the OL or Sapp as our fulltime RB?

Like it or not we are still in draft BPA mode. Drafting for need is a luxury for established winning teams with few needs. No way Smith drafts an Defensive player over a higher rated Offensive player just because he plays defense. Now if the 2 players are rated close I can see it.

We have no quality depth on our OL, RB or TE. Everyone seems to be forgetting this. Despite our success on offense depth is still a weekness. We are one key injury away from falling apart. How high powered do you think our offense would be if Duane Brown or Steve Slaton goes down? THink we can be productive with Salaam or White starting on the OL or Sapp as our fulltime RB?

Like it or not we are still in draft BPA mode. Drafting for need is a luxury for established winning teams with few needs. No way Smith drafts an Defensive player over a higher rated Offensive player just because he plays defense. Now if the 2 players are rated close I can see it.

That's true. There's several different strategies regarding the draft. Need is the most likely used by mock drafters and fans. What's a teams biggest need and what's the best player available to fit that position. The reason the draft is so hard to predict, is that there are 32 teams looking at every player differently and using different strategies to make their team better.

I think a strategy that the Texans may be trying to use is by building a superunit: in our case, our defensive line. For example, if we're focusing on our DL instead of trying to mask other weaknesses, we would be drafting the highest rated player if he's on the DL. This ends up building a 'superunit' that other teams have to spend so much time gameplanning and trying to stop, that it really masks other deficiencies like the LB's or DB's on our team. If we're mediocre all over, then it really opens up the other teams gameplan and playbook.

Back