Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans hire Alex Gibbs...promote Shanihan to OC

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
Weird conflicting info. I know you got that directly from someone with the team, but Chester Pitts on 610 am one time said he was never given a specific weight he had to reach or be fined.
Yeah - he didn't have to weigh a specific weight like 310. He just had to be under 311*. :)

*Example numbers just made up and have no reflection on reality.

Yeah, McKinney downplayed the weight thing too when Kubiak first came over.

I heard it from a couple sources with the team.

Maybe it only applied to a few guys on the line.
I'm pretty sure they all had weights they had to meet, which they all did but Spencer.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
All this info on the "correct" zone blocking scheme makes me hope that Gibbs comes in and sets things straight.

Here is the thing though.. the use of fullbacks is not a "new" thing with the ZBS and the NFL. Fullbacks were used extensively in Denver while they were making the ZBS famous.

Now..its true that fullbacks in the "Denver" scheme were not used the same way others used them..yes they did run blocking but they were also (more importantly) used as receivers and for misdirection.. (I think...im pretty much talking out my ass here).

Anyway..my question is.. can the ZBS be implemented "fully" and still make use of our FB?

Either way..I hope Gibbs comes in and gives us a real honest-to-god direction to move forward with on the Oline.

That's a good question. Our Fb should of got a pro bowl invite in my book.
I don't have a good answer.

I'm not going to look up all of the names of tackles that were picked by the franchise and didn't make it. What I will say is that every time one failed, it set us back a couple of years.

From my tree, they had what they had on the roster. And what they had on the roster lent itself to running the Green Bay power game with the Denver passing attack prinkled on top. I think Sherman did an outstanding job for what he had to work with. Kubiak and the boys play calling was outstanding.
But you're only going to go so far when the threat of A.J. was taken away and the guys on the roster have limited ablities. We had one guy and only one guy on the roster who conistantly, when faced with the execution of a block one on one in space, made the play. That there thingy should be all you need to know. That will change shortly. Book it.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Another play with the FB in ZBS.
Panthers game, 5 min 1st quarter.
Showing a counter run to the right when the line pulls to the left. The FB seems to declare where we run, that's what we like the defense to think.
All 3 LBs bought the run. Another nice play action fake, 33 yd gain for A.J.