Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans express interest in LG Faneca [CHRON]-signs with Arizona

(Rotoworld) Beat writer Rich Cimini, now writing for ESPNNewYork.com, reports the Jets have been "quietly shopping" LG Alan Faneca for weeks.

Analysis: Confirming Michael Lombardi's earlier report, Cimini says Faneca could be released if a trade partner can't be found during the draft. The Jets would be eating quite a bit of salary, as Faneca is guaranteed $5.25 million this year. The Jets are believed to covet Idaho's Mike Iupati and Florida's Maurkice Pouncey, and could trade up to snag one of them. Faneca's fate would then be sealed.

No way. The guy is 34 and on the decline. There is a report on ESPN Insider about how his stats were bad last year. Something like 7 sacks, 3 hurries and 10 blown blocks.

Yes get on the phone and bring him in for a reduced price. If the Jets want top round picks then screw them, but if we can give up a 6th for Faneca I will take it and let him battle for the LG spot (I bet he'd win it too).

too_old_for_your_gadget.jpg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

It seems that where there was smoke there was fire concerning Alan Faneca's future with the New York Jets.

Manish Mehta of the Newark Star-Ledger is reporting that the team will formally announce the veteran guard's release on Monday. Reports surfaced early last week that Faneca could be on the way out of Rex Ryan's clubhouse and picked up steam through the first two days of the draft.

The Jets were shopping Faneca for a trade, but the $7.5 million they didn't want to pay him was likely a deterrent for other teams as well. With $5.25 million of that contract guaranteed, the Jets clearly don't think Faneca's presence is necessary for them to make a run back to the AFC Championship Game and beyond.

Massachusetts offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse was the team's second-round pick, another signal that a change was coming, and when G.M. Mike Tannenbaum spoke with reporters Friday night he didn't do much to throw anyone off the scent.

"Alan's on our team. He's done a lot of great things for us. I know this weekend that there's typically a lot of transactions that happen, but he's on our team and Alan's done a lot of great things for us."

The past tense would appear to be the only tense for Faneca and the Jets going forward.

The Jets fans I know say he has not been good as a pass blaocker, but still pretty good as a run blocker. Overall, overrated and not as good as his reputation.

#McClain_on_NFL

I magine the Texans will show interest in G Alan Faneca after the Jets cut him. He's from Houston. He's 33. I bet he'd like to play at home. 35 minutes ago via web

Aging Alan Faneca > Studdard and Chris White. Not sure on how Brisiel will do after his injury but, even then Mike is never going to be anything but an average starter at best.

The Jets fans I know say he has not been good as a pass blaocker, but still pretty good as a run blocker. Overall, overrated and not as good as his reputation.

And with us being a pass first team (in reality if not lip service), how ironic would it be if the veteran stud brought in to help the O-line ended up being the one to get Schaub killed?

Aging Alan Faneca > Studdard and Chris White. Not sure on how Brisiel will do after his injury but, even then Mike is never going to be anything but an average starter at best.

It's hard to imagine Smith was brought in here for the kind of money he was to be a back-up. If Faneca is signed here, that'd pretty much cement an interior of:

Faneca - Smith - Caldwell

Unless Caldwell can't win the RG spot, which would be very bad news.

Source

The Texans are interested in guard Alan Faneca, who was released by the New York Jets on Saturday.

The 33-year-old Faneca, who played at Lamar Consolidated High School, is a nine-time Pro Bowl player who spent his first 10 years with Pittsburgh and the last two with the Jets.

I'm fine with it.

I am fine with it also. He has suffered in pass pro recently, but still a good run blocker and maybe a good teacher.

As long as he is a reasonable price then I don't see anything wrong with this. He may have fallen out of favor on the Jets line, but the worst Jets O-line player is probably better then our best.

As long as he is a reasonable price then I don't see anything wrong with this. He may have fallen out of favor on the Jets line, but the worst Jets O-line player is probably better then our best.

I wonder if he can play center. I would love to see him go up against Kris Jenkins on prime time TV.

I´d like it... he is clearly not the player he once was anymore, but he will be a great mentor to some of the younger guys and will at the very least be a good backup... but I´m pretty sure he would still start and help our running game. Ain´t he from Texas?

I wonder if he can play center. I would love to see him go up against Kris Jenkins on prime time TV.

You really think that the Texans would bring in a 9 time Pro Bowl LG to convert him to a Center? He's not over-the-hill. He's not injured. He may come cheap relative to his true value because of his roots. But I doubt if he comes cheap.

Texans NEED to sign him. It'll definitely help our OLine and running game. He went to high school in the Houston area, so that could be a plus in convincing him to sign here. Plus, we're an up and coming team that really just needs some OLine depth. He'd start though, I'm sure.

Texans NEED to sign him. It'll definitely help our OLine and running game. He went to high school in the Houston area, so that could be a plus in convincing him to sign here. Plus, we're an up and coming team that really just needs some OLine depth. He'd start though, I'm sure.

Does he even translate to our ZBS? He's always been in a power running system.

He could learn the ZBS. We need a bigger lineman so we don't get blown up by better d-lines like it happened too many times last year.

Does he even translate to our ZBS? He's always been in a power running system.

I think he does. From Scouts Inc.

Faneca is an instinctive player with good awareness. He shows punch on inline blocks and takes good angles to the second level. He can locate, adjust and hit moving targets. He's capable of redirecting pass-rushers and can engulf and maul linebackers. He has above-average initial quickness on the snap and plays with a good motor. He has adequate foot quickness but lacks strong punch on pass sets. He's an inconsistent finisher at times and struggles to match up versus quicker inside DTs.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?playerId=1459

We're interested according to PFT.

With veteran Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca now available, count the Texans among the potential suitors. According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, the teams is "checking out" the former Steeler and Jet.

McClain points out that Faneca went to high school outside Houston, which could make a return to the area more attractive.

He's owed $5.25 million in guaranteed money from the Jets, which could make him more inclined to play for the veteran minimum. Then again, it's still an uncapped year -- and if two or more teams are interested Faneca could spark an auction. Besides, we reported on Saturday that Faneca was cut after he refused to take a pay cut. If he wanted to make something at or close to the veteran minimum, he could have simply stayed in New York.

So whether it's the Texans or the Bears or the Cardinals or someone else, look for Faneca to do better than the bottom dollar to which he'd be entitled under the labor agreement.

Orlando Pace is case of a guy that was too old when he signed his last contract.

Faneca still has something in the tank. Not to mention, he would bring an attitude change to the O-Line.

If he can be a contributor then I'm fine with it. I have no idea of his ability to transition to our offense as he has always been in a power run game like Pittsburgh and New York.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6975529.html

The Texans are interested in guard Alan Faneca, who was released by the New York Jets on Saturday.

The 33-year-old Faneca, who played at Lamar Consolidated High School, is a nine-time Pro Bowl player who spent his first 10 years with Pittsburgh and the last two with the Jets.

“I think everybody in football's going to be interested in him,” coach Gary Kubiak said today. “We're going to check him out to see what he's interested in doing at this stage of his career, what direction he's headed.”

General manager Rick Smith will let Faneca's agent, also named Rick Smith, know the Texans are interested in the veteran who played at LSU and resides in Thibodaux, La.

In 2008, Faneca signed a five-year, $40 million contract with the Jets that included $21 million guaranteed. At the time, he was the highest-paid offensive lineman in history.

Because the Jets still owe Faneca $5.25 million this year, money shouldn't be an issue with his next team.

The Texans' starter at left guard is Kasey Studdard. They drafted Shelley Smith in the sixth round and signed veteran free agent Wade Smith in the offseason. They have Mike Brisiel, Antoine Caldwell and Chris White at right guard.

I would love to get Faneca. I think he'd make an impact similar to Kevin Mawae did in Tennessee. Best years are behind him but "this" Faneca is miles ahead of what we trotted out last season after our starting guards went down. He was a part of the best OL in the league... i'm sure he had something to do with them being the best.

He's not as good pass blocking? I'm sure he's better than Studdard.

Faneca immediately upgrades our OL. Not just with his skills but because he is a 9 time pro bowler. I'm sure that our younger OL can learn a few tricks from him.

Another reason: It would help the offense shed the "soft" label. Our defense took major steps in shedding their "soft" label with the addition of some physical school crushers. Faneca has a mean streak and I would love to see him show it off to the Colts on opening day when we're running the ball down their throats late in the game to preserve our lead!!!

I would love to get Faneca. I think he'd make an impact similar to Kevin Mawae did in Tennessee. Best years are behind him but "this" Faneca is miles ahead of what we trotted out last season after our starting guards went down. He was a part of the best OL in the league... i'm sure he had something to do with them being the best.

Faneca immediately upgrades our OL. Not just with his skills but because he is a 9 time pro bowler. I'm sure that our younger OL can learn a few tricks from him.

Another reason: It would help the offense shed the "soft" label. Our defense took major steps in shedding their "soft" label with the addition of some physical school crushers. Faneca has a mean streak and I would love to see him show it off to the Colts on opening day when we're running the ball down their throats late in the game to preserve our lead!!!

:goodpost: +1
Rep

He's better than Studdard, but that's about it. Caldwell, White and Brisiel are better options at this point in their careers.

Faneca is a hand fighting warrior . He's not the biggest or the strongest but he knows how to play and he'd do what it took to win .

sidenote ... Him and Mawae are known to be nasty players and they went to LSU .

Make it happen Mr.Smith. Even if Faneca doesn't play full time for us, he can teach a lot of the young guys and will bring tons of leadership and experience to our team.

Make it happen Mr.Smith. Even if Faneca doesn't play full time for us, he can teach a lot of the young guys and will bring tons of leadership and experience to our team.

Agreed, some leadership for our young guys on the line could be prove to be very helpful, especially with Pitts not around anymore. A veteran guy like this could help our entire offense even if his playing time is lower then it used to be.

You really think that the Texans would bring in a 9 time Pro Bowl LG to convert him to a Center? He's not over-the-hill. He's not injured. He may come cheap relative to his true value because of his roots. But I doubt if he comes cheap.

Well don't the Jets have to pay him that 5+ MIL in guaranteed money for the upcoming year? Maybe he signs a "cheap" one yr deal with an option for a second yr with us just to stick it to the Jets. And if he's a good fit here, he picks up his option money (or restructures) and stays. If not, he's a free agent again.
Seems like a win/win to me.

Well don't the Jets have to pay him that 5+ MIL in guaranteed money for the upcoming year? Maybe he signs a "cheap" one yr deal with an option for a second yr with us just to stick it to the Jets. And if he's a good fit here, he picks up his option money (or restructures) and stays. If not, he's a free agent again.
Seems like a win/win to me.

Exactly how does this constitute sticking it to the Jets?

He's better than Studdard, but that's about it. Caldwell, White and Brisiel are better options at this point in their careers.

Caldwell hopefully will be better. NO way Studdard or White are. And, we don't know how Briesel will come back from injury.

regardless, Depth matters!

So:
Caldwell
Myers
Briesel
Wade Smith
Faneca?
Shelley Smith

+

Butler
Winston
D.Brown

man, dare I dream of getting rid of Studdard?!

This would be an excellent signing. I think he has 2-3 good years left. You bring him in to teach and be a starting LG. Keep Brown at LT, slide Faneca into LG, Smith into C, Caldwell into RG, and Winston at RT and you have a pretty solid Oline. Briesel, Smith, Studdard, White, Butler, and Myers are good depth.

This would be an excellent signing. I think he has 2-3 good years left. You bring him in to teach and be a starting LG. Keep Brown at LT, slide Faneca into LG, Smith into C, Caldwell into RG, and Winston at RT and you have a pretty solid Oline. Briesel, Smith, Studdard, White, Butler, and Myers are good depth.

That sounds good, except Smith will not succeed in beating out Meyers at center. In fact, I doubt very seriously that he will even be given the chance.

Did anyone else take this as an indictment against Chester Pitts' health and remaining football career? You'd think if they had interest in a veteran guard it'd be bringing Chester back. I know Chester's taken a few visits, no offers yet.

Exactly how does this constitute sticking it to the Jets?

I think the way it works is that if we pick up his 6-7 million salary, the Jets are off the hook. If we pay him the minimum, the Jets still have to pay him the balance of what's we pay vs. what his contract says.

Some of you salary gurus correct me if that isn't right.

Back