Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans & Draft Choices (ESPN)

Kimmy

RealGirls LvFB!
Nice picture of Cushing on the ESPN NFL homepage and an interesting story about draft picks, pointing out the GOOD ones Houston has made.

ESPN Draft Story

Immediate contributions: Drop Brian Cushing in the lineup at the start and you can get 18 tackles in his first two games. Drop Eugene Monroe into an opener at Indianapolis and you get big quarterback pressure on the game’s crucial snap from Dwight Freeney.

and

The Texans could have had Patrick Willis at No. 10 in 2007. I don’t know how they rated a player who’s turned out to be spectacular, but they went with defensive tackle Amobi Okoye there instead of Willis and with good reason -- they drafted another middle linebacker they loved, DeMeco Ryans, in the second round a year earlier.

This was my favorite part of the piece...

Batting averages: Drafting is a very inexact science. The best scouts in the business have a laundry list of players they miscalculated or projected poorly on their résumés. Crystal balls don’t come with guarantees and are non-refundable.

Too many fans seem to expect a team with seven draft picks will find long-term starters in the fourth, fifth, sixth and even seventh rounds. It’s hard to talk draft batting averages because we’re talking about a target that moves more than any breaking ball. A first-round hit is different than a fourth-round hit is different than a sixth-round hit.

Our batting ave on DT and DE hasn't been so hot. We've picked 7 DTs and 4 DEs, with 2 of each picked in the 1st round. Mario's been our only satisfactory investment in the bunch.

Last edited:
Our batting ave on DT and DE hasn't been so hot. We've picked 7 DTs and 4 DTs, with 2 of each picked in the 1st round. Mario's been our only satisfactory investment in the bunch.

If you are counting Barwin, give him some time. He flashed some good stuff last year and put up 6 sacks in limited duty. I think he transforms into a starter opposite Mario this year.

Our batting ave on DT and DE hasn't been so hot. We've picked 7 DTs and 4 DTs, with 2 of each picked in the 1st round. Mario's been our only satisfactory investment in the bunch.

Typo. He meant 7DTs and 4DEs
DTs: Charles Hill, Amobi, TJ, Howard Green, Ahmad Miller,Keith Wright, Frank Okam
DE:Mario, Barwin, Greg White, Babin

Sadly Amobi, Okam, mario, and barwin are the only ones still on the team. Okam is hanging on by a thread and Amobi may get replaced.

Satisfactory sure but that's being kind to him as a overall number one selection. Don't misunderstand... I'm happy we took Mario. I just think his production should be a bit more problematic for opposing teams considering where he was taken.

I think there's been a lot of hype surrounding Mario Wìlliams in light of Vince Young and Reggie Bush's struggles. He's been dubbed Super Mario but has he really earned that title yet? I'm not so sure...

I don't think Mario Williams is as feared as we think he is.

Satisfactory sure but that's being kind to him as a overall number one selection. Don't misunderstand... I'm happy we took Mario. I just think his production should be a bit more problematic for opposing teams considering where he was taken.

I think there's been a lot of hype surrounding Mario Wìlliams in light of Vince Young and Reggie Bush's struggles. He's been dubbed Super Mario but has he really earned that title yet? I'm not so sure...

Scouts Inc. has Mario as the #2 DE.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/scouting?position=31

4.5 sacks rookie year with plantar f.
14 sacks in 2nd year
12 sacks in 3rd year
9 sacks last year

While the numbers went down remember that he had Barwin notching 6 sacks, Cushing getting 5 from the Sam, Smith with 4.5, Zgonia had 2.5, Okoye 1.5, Pollard 1.5, Meco 1.0, and Cody 0.5. So Mario had 9/29 or 31% of the Texans sacks.

In 2009 he had 9/29 or 31% of the sack total.
In 2008 he had 12/25 or 48% of the sack total.
In 2007 he had 14/31 or 45% of the sack total.
In 2006 he had 4.5/28 or 11% of the sack total when injured.

He is still dominant, its is just that he is getting more help these days.

Thats 11.6 per year when he has been healthy. That's a pretty good clip! Plus remember now that Barwin and

4.5 sacks rookie year with plantar f.
14 sacks in 2nd year
12 sacks in 3rd year
9 sacks last year

While the numbers went down remember that he had Barwin notching 6 sacks, Cushing getting 5 from the Sam, Smith with 4.5, Zgonia had 2.5, Okoye 1.5, Pollard 1.5, Meco 1.0, and Cody 0.5. So Mario had 9/29 or 31% of the Texans sacks.

In 2009 he had 9/29 or 31% of the sack total.
In 2008 he had 12/25 or 48% of the sack total.
In 2007 he had 14/31 or 45% of the sack total.
In 2006 he had 4.5/28 or 11% of the sack total when injured.

He is still dominant, its is just that he is getting more help these days.

Thats 11.6 per year when he has been healthy. That's a pretty good clip! Plus remember now that Barwin and
I don't think you finished your post...

I think opponents fear Osi Unmeniora far more than Super Mario. I never said Mario wasn't dominant. I think he IS. I simply think he's being overhyped because of the failures of the next two picks. I've seen more motor from Connor Barwin than I have from Super Mario.

Basically, the more sacks others get, the more pedestrian Mario looks...

I think it's kind of telling that when we went for need over BPA, we didn't do so hot. I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'.

The problem area is DT, not DE. And don't include Babin, he was drafted to play LB not DE.

OLB in a 3-4 is basically the same thing as a DE in a 4-3.

Both positions serve the function as the primary edge-rusher in passing situations for their respective defenses, but after that there's far more differences than similarities. After all the DE plays with his "hand in the dirt" as all Dlinemen do while while the OLB doesn't because he's a LB.

Babin faired even worse after he left Houston......with seattle, KC and Philly.

Hope he enjoys "continued success" now with the Tacks.:texflag:

Sometimes you're your own worst critic. Folks outside of Texans fandom say Texans fan are harder on Mario than we should be. Opposing coaches laud our defensive line as one of the most talented in the league.

Mario's one of the best DE in the league. Hell, he had 9 sacks last season and the fanbase is down on him like he quit on the team.

Go post on LZ's blog and ask him how much planning his dad did for Mario. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the answer.

Sometimes you're your own worst critic. Folks outside of Texans fandom say Texans fan are harder on Mario than we should be. Opposing coaches laud our defensive line as one of the most talented in the league.

Mario's one of the best DE in the league. Hell, he had 9 sacks last season and the fanbase is down on him like he quit on the team.

Go post on LZ's blog and ask him how much planning his dad did for Mario. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the answer.

I believe it took less than a minute... "Here's the plan, he over pursues, just push him outside, and he'll go past the QB every play, as long as we don't allow their middle to collapse the pocket, we'll have a decent day"... /end gameplan

Reactions: GP
I believe it took less than a minute... "Here's the plan, he over pursues, just push him outside, and he'll go past the QB every play, as long as we don't allow their middle to collapse the pocket, we'll have a decent day"... /end gameplan

:clap:

That's pretty much it.

LOL.

Well then he probably should have spent 2 minutes since Mario got 2 sacks that game and crushed Big Ben for the 2nd sack.:cool:

nero THE zero said:
Opposing coaches laud our defensive line as one of the most talented in the league.

Do these coaches laud the defensive line's achievements as much as its talent?

I think Mario has been solid. He's also been pretty good in run support. Feared? I don't know. I do know for sure that opposing offenses do have to game plan for him.

I totally agree we've had bad luck with DEs and DT's. That's why IMO we need to stay away from taking a DT in the first.

NFL.com has Barwin with 4.5 sacks on the record. I like the guy's motor and athleticism, it's just going to be up to staff to to add technique. Wasn't big on the pick and still hope I am wrong. Far as moving to a starter? Good luck. Doubt he supplants Smith's much larger contract. He's going to be a rotational DE. Not the biggest fan of converting Smith to a DT either.

Say what you will about Babin's failure's to live up to his draft slot, but even in his multiple stints on different teams, at least the last he showed more than Anthony Weaver ever did and for a lot cheaper.

I don't think you finished your post...

I think opponents fear Osi Unmeniora far more than Super Mario. I never said Mario wasn't dominant. I think he IS. I simply think he's being overhyped because of the failures of the next two picks. I've seen more motor from Connor Barwin than I have from Super Mario.

Basically, the more sacks others get, the more pedestrian Mario looks...

You seem to discount the fact that Mario is one of if not the best run defending DE in the NFL.

Sacks are only half the game, and he does that pretty darn good considering we haven't got much else going for us on the pass rush front.

You seem to discount the fact that Mario is one of if not the best run defending DE in the NFL.

Sacks are only half the game, and he does that pretty darn good considering we haven't got much else going for us on the pass rush front.

Not at all. We've got a great set of run-stoppers all over that defensive unit. Can you tell me where Mario is ranked on tackles for losses among DEs? I don't know where he stands there.

Fact remains. It's open season in the air against the Houston Texans. Mario's not generating as much pressure/sacks as i'd hoped. The more help we get him, the more pedestrian he looks. Our line has been majorly bad and he's benefitted from that hence his dwindling numbers.

I'm a big Mario Williams fan.

Not at all. We've got a great set of run-stoppers all over that defensive unit. Can you tell me where Mario is ranked on tackles for losses among DEs? I don't know where he stands there.

Fact remains. It's open season in the air against the Houston Texans. Mario's not generating as much pressure/sacks as i'd hoped. The more help we get him, the more pedestrian he looks. Our line has been majorly bad and he's benefitted from that hence his dwindling numbers.

I'm a big Mario Williams fan.

I like Maro I think he has the gifts to be elite, but has struggled here an there. However about the coolest thing I ever saw was when Mario grabbed Jamal Lewis (Who is a decent sized RB!!!) with one arm and pulled his ass back about a yard and threw him to the ground while Lewis had some steam built up. That was one of those "oooooooooooohhhh snap" type of plays that you know Lewis got razzed about in the locker room!!!!

You can thank Carr Bombed for this
Animation1.gif

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58374&highlight=jamal+lewis+mario

If you are counting Barwin, give him some time. He flashed some good stuff last year and put up 6 sacks in limited duty. I think he transforms into a starter opposite Mario this year.

I completely agree with you. I dont know why the hell people are upset with Barwin. The guy had 4.5 sacks as a rookie situational pass rusher ESPECIALLY seeing how hes only been a DE for what.....2-3 yrs?

I am super pumped about what Barwin is going to bring to our defense next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, etc, etc.

The guy has a motor that doesnt quit, not to mention he keeps the pressure on Antonio Smith to keep performing.

I completely agree with you. I dont know why the hell people are upset with Barwin. The guy had 4.5 sacks as a rookie situational pass rusher ESPECIALLY seeing how hes only been a DE for what.....2-3 yrs?

I am super pumped about what Barwin is going to bring to our defense next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, etc, etc.

The guy has a motor that doesnt quit, not to mention he keeps the pressure on Antonio Smith to keep performing.

I haven't heard too much grumbling about connor Barwin here. Let's not pretend Barwin's a run-stopper. I see it this way... Barwin's our pass rusher. Mario's taking up slack and being Amobi's run-stopper when he should be pass rushing at all times.

Mario Williams is supposed to be a Dwight Freeney.

Back