Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans/Derek Newton agree on 5-year deal

Texans impressed by Derek Newton’s comeback work ethic
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 29, 2018, 9:35 AM EDT

The Texans still don’t know if right tackle Derek Newton will be able to play again at his previous level. But they know he’s working diligently toward that goal.

Newton’s been out since rupturing the patellar tendons in both knees in Week Six of 2016, but Texans coach Bill O’Brien said he’s been impressed with what he’s seen

“I would say he’s on schedule, but I wouldn’t say that he’d be able to a ton of things this spring,” Texans coach Bill O’Brien said, via John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. “Nobody’s worked harder than Derek Newton to try to get back to where he is.

He’s a very hardworking guy. The guy’s been in there every single day at 6 a.m. five days a week. He probably comes in on the weekends on his own. I would say he’s probably not [going to be] able to do a bunch of field work. He can, rehab-wise, but not in team periods and things like that.”

The Texans offseason program begins April 16, though it appears training camp would be a better barometer of his progress. And honestly, anything they get out of Newton would probably be a bonus, after such a traumatic injury.

Reminds me you really have to think long term with draft needs. Texans have not neglected or invested hard either in OL and with just plain old bad luck are now in a position where choices are forced. Somehow Gaine will have to navigate through troubled waters to assemble a decent OL that can protect Watson.

If he is unable to move up and draft a starting, quality LT then I think he has to go BPA, do his homework on lineman and draft a bunch later rounds to develop. Is what it is!

When expecting Newton to return, keep the following in mind: Of all major NFL injuries, patellar tendon rupture surgery has the lowest of return to play rates............50%..........even lower than quad tendon ruptures (Duane Brown). Fans have already seemed to have forgotten that in 2013, Newton sustained a very major injury. I wrote extensively how he was brought back from that injury way too soon. Upon return, he was dogged mercilessly for his poor performance...........labeling him as just plain "lazy" and "worthless." I tried to explain that this was related to his injury, and that he was lucky to just come back from that surgery at all. What was his injury that required surgery then?..................a patellar tendon rupture. He never even regained preinjury performance level. This was not surprising in that virtually every study of major NFL injuries has shown a pattern that a decent prognosis is found in high round draft picks and those players with the most NFL game experience................Newton was a 7th round pick...........and only accrued ~1 year of NFL experience. Now he is trying to come back from bilateral patellar tendon ruptures (1 rerupture, 1 contralateral rupture). With all of this in mind, what do you realistically think his chances of return are?........and if he does miraculously manage to return, what level of performance can you realistically expect? I take my hat off to the hard work that he did coming back to any level following his initial rupture.............and even more for his unrelenting effort to come back from this devastating double rupture...........but I must remain realistic as to his future with the Texans.

RS came out of Denver where ZB's in their mind were a dime a dozen. Any OL could excel in the ZBS as well as any RB. They had their run with that mindset but it eventually crashed. Kubiak brought that same mindset to Houston and it irked pretty well....while he was here. For RS, this is all he knew in regards to the talent needed to operate the ZBS....unfortunately, Kubiak was run off and a PBS type of HC was brought in to instill his new offense.

To me, it has looked like the Texans never made the adjustment and somehow always seemed to find OL that would perform better in a ZBS. I'm inclined to include the FA OL signed in this assessment.

Maybe with this new Offensive Playbook, O'Brien and Devlin have decided it may be in the teams best interest to utilize a ZBS and finally give up on his preferred PBS simply b/c the team just lacks or did not pursue the proper talent to make it work.

RS came out of Denver where ZB's in their mind were a dime a dozen. Any OL could excel in the ZBS as well as any RB.

Completely false. It's that they looked for different specific things in both OL & RB which happened to be in less demand and therefore they could get them lower in the draft. It was not that any player could do. This is why Kubiak spent 2 high 3rds for new OTs straight out the gate. And brought in a vet OT & C. That was working with a team already running ZBS.

When expecting Newton to return, keep the following in mind: Of all major NFL injuries, patellar tendon rupture surgery has the lowest of return to play rates............50%..........even lower than quad tendon ruptures (Duane Brown). Fans have already seemed to have forgotten that in 2013, Newton sustained a very major injury. I wrote extensively how he was brought back from that injury way too soon. Upon return, he was dogged mercilessly for his poor performance...........labeling him as just plain "lazy" and "worthless." I tried to explain that this was related to his injury, and that he was lucky to just come back from that surgery at all. What was his injury that required surgery then?..................a patellar tendon rupture. He never even regained preinjury performance level. This was not surprising in that virtually every study of major NFL injuries has shown a pattern that a decent prognosis is found in high round draft picks and those players with the most NFL game experience................Newton was a 7th round pick...........and only accrued ~1 year of NFL experience. Now he is trying to come back from bilateral patellar tendon ruptures (1 rerupture, 1 contralateral rupture). With all of this in mind, what do you realistically think his chances of return are?........and if he does miraculously manage to return, what level of performance can you realistically expect? I take my hat off to the hard work that he did coming back to any level following his initial rupture.............and even more for his unrelenting effort to come back from this devastating double rupture...........but I must remain realistic as to his future with the Texans.

If you don’t mind, talk about the amount of muscular atrophy that occurs to someone with BOTH legs vs. only one leg being immobilized for a long period of time. IMO, this guy should worry more about the quality of the rest of his life instead of playing football again.

RS came out of Denver where ZB's in their mind were a dime a dozen. Any OL could excel in the ZBS as well as any RB. They had their run with that mindset but it eventually crashed. Kubiak brought that same mindset to Houston and it irked pretty well....while he was here. For RS, this is all he knew in regards to the talent needed to operate the ZBS....unfortunately, Kubiak was run off and a PBS type of HC was brought in to instill his new offense.

To me, it has looked like the Texans never made the adjustment and somehow always seemed to find OL that would perform better in a ZBS. I'm inclined to include the FA OL signed in this assessment.

Maybe with this new Offensive Playbook, O'Brien and Devlin have decided it may be in the teams best interest to utilize a ZBS and finally give up on his preferred PBS simply b/c the team just lacks or did not pursue the proper talent to make it work.
But remember whether it's Zone or predominantly Power schemes, they'e still got to be able to effectively pass block.

If you don’t mind, talk about the amount of muscular atrophy that occurs to someone with BOTH legs vs. only one leg being immobilized for a long period of time. IMO, this guy should worry more about the quality of the rest of his life instead of playing football again.
To summarize, it is extremely rare for a healthy patellar tendon to rupture. There is usually a long-standing pathology of the tendon which eventually leads to rupture with a sudden violent contraction of the quad muscle while the knee is flexed. During the period of chronic tendinopathy, it has been shown that quad muscle atrophy has already occurred. Once a repair is performed, the main focus of rehab is to regain muscle bulk/strength. Inevitably, because of the prerupture loss of muscle and the post repair muscle atrophy, not all of the muscle atrophy may be reversed. Once there is a rerupture, you can see the amount of muscle strength that can be regained becomes further lessened. With bilateral rupture, rather than full focus on the muscle strength rehab, a patient must first concentrate on being able to regain and maintain balance and coordination..........something that takes time........time taken away and delaying concentration on muscle strength rehab.........thus further lessening the potential for reversing muscle wasting.

To summarize, it is extremely rare for a healthy patellar tendon to rupture. There is usually a long-standing pathology of the tendon which eventually leads to rupture with a sudden violent contraction of the quad muscle while the knee is flexed. During the period of chronic tendinopathy, it has been shown that quad muscle atrophy has already occurred. Once a repair is performed, the main focus of rehab is to regain muscle bulk/strength. Inevitably, because of the prerupture loss of muscle and the post repair muscle atrophy, not all of the muscle atrophy may be reversed. Once there is a rerupture, you can see the amount of muscle strength that can be regained becomes further lessened. With bilateral rupture, rather than full focus on the muscle strength rehab, a patient must first concentrate on being able to regain and maintain balance and coordination..........something that takes time........time taken away and delaying concentration on muscle strength rehab.........thus further lessening the potential for reversing muscle wasting.

Marvelous info, doc. Thanks!

But remember whether it's Zone or predominantly Power schemes, they'e still got to be able to effectively pass block.
The rule about not splitting infinitives should be ignored when there's no graceful way around it. But now days even professional writers have discovered this fact and seem to make it a point to split their infinitives when it's completely unnecessary. In this case it was so easy to say to pass block effectively. The rule deserves more respect than that.

That said, I agree with the sentiments in the post. Why should the team lay out all that money to sign a tackle who can't possibly perform at even a marginal level after such devastating injuries and time off, when he wasn't very good before he went down?

The rule about not splitting infinitives should be ignored when there's no graceful way around it. But now days even professional writers have discovered this fact and seem to make it a point to split their infinitives when it's completely unnecessary. In this case it was so easy to say to pass block effectively. The rule deserves more respect than that.

That said, I agree with the sentiments in the post. Why should the team lay out all that money to sign a tackle who can't possibly perform at even a marginal level after such devastating injuries and time off, when he wasn't very good before he went down?

Great post!

Say what, I get a free grammar lesson, is that you Iman so are you now also posting under an alias ?

If I remember right, probably was CND, said one patella tendon was career ender. Bilateral tendon tear was impossible.

What I don't get is why BOB hyped Newton as being able to return.......... the Texans medical staff not communicating with the coaches?

How they let JD play bone to bone till Dr. Andrews proceeded with Microfracture surgery.

If I remember right, probably was CND, said one patella tendon was career ender. Bilateral tendon tear was impossible.

What I don't get is why BOB hyped Newton as being able to return.......... the Texans medical staff not communicating with the coaches?

How they let JD play bone to bone till Dr. Andrews proceeded with Microfracture surgery.

Welcome to the Bill OBrien era AKA the 'Smoke and Mirrors' regime.

Hope Newton has a relatively normal life moving forward. Addition by subtraction for the team as callous as it sounds.

Texans cutting tackle Derek Newton
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 12, 2018, 11:07 AM EDT
gettyimages-455978572.jpg

Getty Images

The Texans said they were impressed with the way Derek Newton has been working out in his comeback attempt.

They just didn’t want him attempting it next week when he would have been on their property.

According to Mike Jones of USA Today, the Texans have informed the veteran right tackle he’s being released, and he’s filing a grievance against the team for an unpaid roster bonus.

Newton tore both patella tendons in 2016 and missed all of last season, and they admitted he probably wasn’t going to be ready until closer to training camp than next week.

They failed him on his team physical on Mar. 23, but according to Jones he got a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews who said he was fit to take part in workouts. He had a $500,000 roster bonus due on April 1, which they haven’t paid

500K would be a heck of a parting gift for basically just trying real hard to rehab. Was No one watching the calendar or did they just forget he would get five hundred grand on April Fools day? Oooopps!!!

500K would be a heck of a parting gift for basically just trying real hard to rehab. Was No one watching the calendar or did they just forget he would get five hundred grand on April Fools day? Oooopps!!!
Even though not specifically mentioned in Troy's very detailed account of Newton's renegotiated 2017 contract, NFL contract agreements are contingent on a player passing a physical. In Newton's very tenuous injury situation, it would surprise me if the wording did not include some language automatically voiding his present contract should he not pass his team physical exam, with or without the option of again renegotiating the contract at the discretion of the team. He failed his exam on March 23.

Derek Newton Contract Renegotiation
Posted by Troy on May 23, 2017

They failed him on his team physical on Mar. 23, but according to Jones he got a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews who said he was fit to take part in workouts. He had a $500,000 roster bonus due on April 1, which they haven’t paid
It's little things like this that will give the organization a bad name. Getting a 2nd opinion from the Yoda of knees, James Andrews will certainly help Newton win his grievance. $500K is a lot of real world money, but is it that much for an NFL team? Taking into account the hellacious injury Newton had and how the coach praised his rehab efforts? Doesn't look good or smart.

It's little things like this that will give the organization a bad name. Getting a 2nd opinion from the Yoda of knees, James Andrews will certainly help Newton win his grievance. $500K is a lot of real world money, but is it that much for an NFL team? Taking into account the hellacious injury Newton had and how the coach praised his rehab efforts? Doesn't look good or smart.

It's the way the Texans do business

Uncle Bob needs his $$$$.

Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with him getting cut?
Yes he made great progress; the man went from not being able to walk to walking. That's great progress but a RT it does not make. He probably should have been cut/medically retired after the injury but he was kept on, collected a salary, and had access to the medical treatment he needed. It's not about the $500k, that's chump change to a billion dollar franchise.

Dr James Andrews also cleared RG3 to play after his injury; we clearly saw that he was not physically ready to return. Our medical staff sucks, IMO, but I think they got this one right.

Newton was worthless before the injury and with the injuries now being included in his assessment, he's far more worthless than before. It's desperation that brings out the worst in us.

Well then I guess O’Brian was just blowing smoke how hard Newton was working to get back into shape and on the field. Either that or his owner/management needs to get on the same page with the head coach.

:slapfight:

Well then I guess O’Brian was just blowing smoke how hard Newton was working to get back into shape and on the field. Either that or his owner/management needs to get on the same page with the head coach.

:slapfight:

I don't think he had to blow smoke about Newton....if he was really working hard to rehab the injury. I think it came down to the fact that he was bad before the injury and there was no way he got better during the healing process.

Lol it's just too funny. Who's going to go first and continue defending McNair? It all makes sense why this team could only sign second tier players with all that cap space. The players are blacklisting this organization and will continue to do so as long as the Grand Wizard is the owner. SMH.

Newton was worthless before the injury and with the injuries now being included in his assessment, he's far more worthless than before. It's desperation that brings out the worst in us.

I don't think he had to blow smoke about Newton....if he was really working hard to rehab the injury. I think it came down to the fact that he was bad before the injury and there was no way he got better during the healing process.

I guess I have to remind people that Newton was looking pretty decent working himself into the rotation with Winston (2011), then beating out Rashad Butler for the starting RT job (2012). He was holding his own and looking promising for a 2nd year RT that never started in his rookie year..............UNTIL he suffered a RIGHT PATELLAR TENDON RUPTURE in Nov. In dire need of a RT, the Texans medical staff brought him back way too soon and as a result he was having setbacks throughout the year. This "hurry back" served only to leave his knee somewhat stiffened and compromised up until his catatrophic injury which resulted in rupture of both his right and left patellar tendon. As I posted in length when he sustained his original patellar tendon rupture in 2012, he would be very fortunate just to come back at all........more fortunate to be able to perform even at a lesser modest level than prior to the injury. Newton was far from "worthless" prior to his original injury. In fact he was just in need of more time to develop..........something that was taken away from him by early injury.

I guess I have to remind people that Newton was looking pretty decent working himself into the rotation with Winston (2011), then beating out Rashad Butler for the starting RT job (2012). He was holding his own and looking promising for a 2nd year RT that never started in his rookie year..............UNTIL he suffered a RIGHT PATELLAR TENDON RUPTURE in Nov. In dire need of a RT, the Texans medical staff brought him back way too soon and as a result he was having setbacks throughout the year. This "hurry back" served only to leave his knee somewhat stiffened and compromised up until his catatrophic injury which resulted in rupture of both his right and left patellar tendon. As I posted in length when he sustained his original patellar tendon rupture in 2012, he would be very fortunate just to come back at all........more fortunate to be able to perform even at a lesser modest level than prior to the injury. Newton was far from "worthless" prior to his original injury. In fact he was just in need of more time to develop..........something that was taken away from him by early injury.

We had an offensive line of Brown - Smith - Myers - Brooks - Newton, with Jones backing up. Newton was the weakest link of those 6 linemen (reason irrelevant), and not only was he the last survivor, he's the only one that got a contract. I'll trust your judgement that there may have been something to him before that injury, but that was a long time ago. Winston was a lead foot that had turned his attention to politics by then and Butler was never good, not exactly high bars to hurdle.

It's little things like this that will give the organization a bad name. Getting a 2nd opinion from the Yoda of knees, James Andrews will certainly help Newton win his grievance. $500K is a lot of real world money, w is it that much for an NFL team? Taking into account the hellacious injury Newton had and how the coach praised his rehab efforts? Doesn't look good or smart.

To contrast:

Rockets recently cut Tim Quaterman, an end of the bench borderline NBA player.

FWIW, this kind of little stuff from @dmorey/the Rockets is how you get agents/players on the fringes to join your team in free agency. A smart, easy way to get multiple bites at the apple of developing rotation players for minimal asset cost. https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/984811926453735424 …

According to the transaction log, the Houston Rockets exercised their team option for Tim Quarterman for 2018-19 prior to waiving him to make room for Aaron Jackson. Presumably this was done to lock in whatever guaranteed money Quarterman had for 18-19 if the TO was picked up.

10:13 AM - Apr 13, 2018

This is another sign of Daryl Morey and Houston doing right by a player when plans changed after a deal had been agreed to. They previously did this with Bobby Brown when they needed a roster spot. They still re-signed him for the agreed deal, then waived him.

10:16 AM - Apr 13, 2018

We had an offensive line of Brown - Smith - Myers - Brooks - Newton, with Jones backing up. Newton was the weakest link of those 6 linemen (reason irrelevant), and not only was he the last survivor, he's the only one that got a contract. I'll trust your judgement that there may have been something to him before that injury, but that was a long time ago. Winston was a lead foot that had turned his attention to politics by then and Butler was never good, not exactly high bars to hurdle.

Not in the run game. Newton was very solid there but in pass protection it was a different story.

Seth Payne on 610 this morning said James Andrews is all hype. He’s not the great surgeon everyone makes him out to be. He misdiagnosed Seth’s shoulder injury, and we all know about RG3 as well.

Seth Payne on 610 this morning said James Andrews is all hype. He’s not the great surgeon everyone makes him out to be. He misdiagnosed Seth’s shoulder injury, and we all know about RG3 as well.
That's not my point. In an arbitration hearing, Dr. Andrews' opinion will hold weight.

It is a matter of perception. Which the Texans organization has none of, from stem to stern. Let me put it this way: Charley Casserly would know better.

Why sign him to a fat contract and then cut him? Doesn't that make it harder for him to catch on somewhere else?

Why sign him to a fat contract and then cut him? Doesn't that make it harder for him to catch on somewhere else?

One, he was a player when he got the contract and then had a likely season injury.

Two, if you cut him he is UFA and the contract goes poof.

Have to also mention Quess. Far different circumstances and I guess there is still hope Quess can provide some ROI.
OK DavidQ. and the way he's been treated is an example of an owner being sympathetic and generous and patient with a player who's suffered a debilitating injury/illness.
It's hard for me to believe that ole man McNair is the unfeeling and uncaring miserly racist that many have made him out to be.
I wouldn't be surprised that his remarks in the locker room to the team of being disappointed about Barrys election were made strictly because the new prez was a democrat.
McNair is a life-long passionate and hard-core Republican who also retained a black GM for many years who practically become a member of his own family and drafted a black player to be the new face of his franchise.
It's just not plausible to me that he'd stand in front of a largely black audience, his team and make a blatantly racist remark ?

Back