Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texan's Defense so close...

CarolinaTexan

Practice Squad
Long time reader of the MB's here, just now making my first post. :winky:
This offseason has huge potential for the Texans, and i like the Green signing a lot. I think with the pick up of a proven (and i think very good) RB that we can focus on defense in this draft. The texan's defense really came alive this past year after a rocky start, and i saw glimpses of a great defense. With a few holes filled i think they could be dominate!! I am praying we draft Laron Landry, he could become a huge addition to our defense, and would help make one awesome (and young...) defensive core. (mario, meco, dunta..and landry). He is a huge ball hawk and fly's around the field, can make the big hit, and can *gasp* create turnovers. He has good vision and and with 4.48 speed can help stop big plays that usually crush us. I just see him as a perfect fit and as a player than boost this defense and become a star. The point of this post is to try and say that our defense is almost there, and id rather have a dominate defense and pretty stale offense, than a so-so defence and a so-so offense. I love AP, and calvin johnson is nasty, but landry has a superb answer to our gaping safety problem. What do yall think?

hmm i don't know where to start. I guess I'll start by saying that i agree with 99% of your post. I have your thinking EXACTLY

one correction. Landry doesn't have 4.48 speed. That's what I though for a while and thought he may be a reach at 8. But at the combine he ran a 4.35. That completely blew me away. He needs to be our pick...hands down..i just hope he is still there for us.

Great first post.

I think we just need a DT, LB, and #2 CB. ..if we draft Landry.

I think we can get one of those in the draft too, and hopefully one in FA.

Our Defense is going to be KILLER.

i think that we either take landry or quinn, both could be there at #8 kubiak was very impressed with him on sunday. Landry would be a great defensive playmaker so i'd be ok with either pick.

Wow...thanks for the update, 4.35 time is sick, i had not seen that yet! I agree with you, landry would just be a big piece to our defensive puzzle..but a DT, LB would be needed no doubt, and #2 cb i think would be our last priority. Can't wait to see things unfold up to and on draft day :)

Welcome to the board CarolinaTexan!

I too would be happy with Landry at #8, although my 1st choice is Okoye. But, I definately agree with you about being close on Defense, and I think Landry would be great if we don't pick a Safety in FA, which is what I was hoping they would do.

Anyway, welcome aboard! :shades:

Landry at 8 and Aaron Ross in the second round would make for an dramatically improved defense by mid-season. O-line help from there on out, minus one pick for a QB (edwards from Stanford, Beck from BYU???).

I would LOVE for us to take Landry. One think I covet in a defense is an intelligent, quick, hard-hitting safety, and I think he fits the bill.

That being said however, I'm starting to get the feeling Kubiak might go offensively this draft. Last year was for defensive, this year I think Kubiak wants his turn.

you know i honestly think they'll trade down a few if they can...they won't trade down for nothing or for future picks like casserly always did but i think rick smith and kubiak are really looking for a team to give them atleast one 1st day pick this year...if they get that i think they'll trade down...if not i'm right with most of ya'll i want laron landry

I would LOVE for us to take Landry. One think I covet in a defense is an intelligent, quick, hard-hitting safety, and I think he fits the bill.

That being said however, I'm starting to get the feeling Kubiak might go offensively this draft. Last year was for defensive, this year I think Kubiak wants his turn.

I really hope they just take what the draft gives them. This draft is a lot better with defensive talent in day one than offense imo.

2008 draft may be different....08 will be stacked with offensive talent all through the first and probably the 2nd..

thats why i hope we continue defense this draft and take offense next draft when our o-line is improved.

This should be a very good draft for us, however it goes. It's very deep at some of our most needed positions(yes, I typed that with a straight face). About the only position I'm dead set against on the 1st day is QB(maybe 3rd rnd.). Rick Smith seems to be a very shrewd judge of talent(despite all the BS threads wondering what the FO is doing) and has impressed me so far by not trying to sign a big name to a bigger contract for the sake of just doing something. My jury is still out on Kubes. He's made some very questionable in-game decisions that concern me. I tend to think that they are based on observations made during practices and his overall feel for what we're capable of as team, so I give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I would be MUCH happier if we had a Mike Sherman type guy as AHC/ D-line/D coordinator instead of Sherman, but that's just opinion. I wouold also like to see us get a different secondary coach. Hoke's been a joke since he's been here. Our players just don't seem to be utilized to maximize their strengths. Same old same old there-trying to put square players into round schemes. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

I think we just need a DT, LB, and #2 CB. ..if we draft Landry.

I think we can get one of those in the draft too, and hopefully one in FA.

Our Defense is going to be KILLER.

Ole Miss Texan, how about this in our draft: LaRon Landry, DeMarcus Tyler, & Daymeion Hughes, Aaron Ross, or Marcus McCauley in rounds 1-3. I'm loving that draft. Defense could be something special. Only thing is we still would need 1 or 2 pieces for the O-Line.

Ole Miss Texan, how about this in our draft: LaRon Landry, DeMarcus Tyler, & Daymeion Hughes, Aaron Ross, or Marcus McCauley in rounds 1-3. I'm loving that draft. Defense could be something special. Only thing is we still would need 1 or 2 pieces for the O-Line.

Clash, you and I are thinking similar to this years draft.

Landry is just a no brainer.
There are some really good DT,DE, and CB prospect that should be at our pick in the 2nd round. That may be the way to go...but I am REALLY sold on kalil for C. I just don't know if we're going to do enough to get him.

Marcus McCauley intrigues me. He is 6'1...205 lbs and ran a 4.39 at the combine. His stock was severly hit after this past season in which he really underperformed and got beat a lot. I think he may go late 1st ..but probably sometime in the 2nd round because of his size, speed, and athletic ability in general....he may be a prospect but there isn't confusing he looks good.

I think the whole Fresno St. team did bad last season...Paul Williams..WR..didn't really do all that good either..i think he could be good too. I guess my point it...I wouldn't mind seeing him in the 3rd round if he's there. After all..Dunta Robinson really hasn't looked all that good lately beacuse the rest of our secondary sucked. If we add landry in the 1st...I think McCauley could start for us by the end of the season...he just needs a lilttle coaching..he's got the size and speed...landry will really help him and dunta can be free.

IMO that solves our secondary problem. We could easily go rounds 1-3 this draft and our Defense would just about be complete....and they could do it with those Defensive players actually being BPA too.

If we can't go Kalil in 2nd or Kolb in 3rd ..I'd be happy with this....
1. Landry...duh
2. BPA...LB, DT, DE-DeMarcus Tyler would be great...
3. Marcus McCauley

I think aaron ross may go 1st or 2nd round. daymeion hughes i've seen him all over the place. I would take a gamble on McCauley just because the rest of our defense would be set.

we could then go bpa...rest of the way Desmond Bishop LB CAl in 4th?? then OL,WR, in rounds 5,6,7?

our defense would be virtually complete.

There are some really good DT,DE, and CB prospect that should be at our pick in the 2nd round. That may be the way to go...but I am REALLY sold on kalil for C. I just don't know if we're going to do enough to get him.

Marcus McCauley intrigues me. He is 6'1...205 lbs and ran a 4.39 at the combine. His stock was severly hit after this past season in which he really underperformed and got beat a lot. I think he may go late 1st ..but probably sometime in the 2nd round because of his size, speed, and athletic ability in general....he may be a prospect but there isn't confusing he looks good.

I think the whole Fresno St. team did bad last season...Paul Williams..WR..didn't really do all that good either..i think he could be good too. I guess my point it...I wouldn't mind seeing him in the 3rd round if he's there. After all..Dunta Robinson really hasn't looked all that good lately beacuse the rest of our secondary sucked. If we add landry in the 1st...I think McCauley could start for us by the end of the season...he just needs a lilttle coaching..he's got the size and speed...landry will really help him and dunta can be free.

IMO that solves our secondary problem. We could easily go rounds 1-3 this draft and our Defense would just about be complete....and they could do it with those Defensive players actually being BPA too.

1. Landry...duh
3. Marcus McCauley

I think aaron ross may go 1st or 2nd round. daymeion hughes i've seen him all over the place. I would take a gamble on McCauley just because the rest of our defense would be set.

we could then go bpa...rest of the way Desmond Bishop LB CAl in 4th?? then OL,WR, in rounds 5,6,7?

I totally agree with you about Landry first, Kalil 2nd, but I am not a fan of Kolb... system QB, Klingler all over again, would rather focus on getting Edwards from Stanford in teh third hopefully.

And then I think we are deep enough in talent on Defense that we can pick up a LB or CBin the 4th that has a decent chance of being an impact player this year.

I want receivers fearing running down the field on us.

Finish off our Defense this year...

1-Laron Landry FS LSU
2-DeMarcus Tyler DT NC St.
3-Marcus McCauley CB Fresno St.
4-Desmond Bishop LB Cal

5-Jacoby Jones WR Lane
6-Mario Henderson OL FSU
7-Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor

Dunta---Landry---Earl---McCauley
Greenwood-Demeco-Bishop
Mario--Maddox-Tyler-Weaver

then the 2008 draft we can focus on the offense

Brohm, Henne, Brennan, Booty = QB's
McFadden, Rice, Slaton = RB's
Baker, Long, Gaither = OT's
Manningham, Sweed..=WR's

Depending on where we're picking...let's just say about the middle..16th. we should have a highly rated OL, WR, RB, or QB fall to us..depending on what our team looks like take BPA there

no idea what the rest of the draft looks like. If our running game isn't looking good we could go with Rb if we think that's the problem..w/ rice or slaton..mcfadden would be gone #1. or if we think its the oline we could select OL finally in the first (and then trade for kalil whos was selected '07..lol jk)

next year should be offense..

i'm so excited how these two drafts can turn out. '07 and '08...'06 was already a winner.

1. Landry...duh
3. Marcus McCauley

I seem to think that 3 CBs will be drafted in the 1st round. Those CBs will be (in this order): Darrelle Revis, Leon Hall, and Chris Houston. But you do have a point in McCauley, he could very well sneak into the 1st. If thats the case we should go with Hughes. I definitely agree with you on McCauley, if he's coached well, he'll be a heck of a player. IMO, if he was drafted by the Texans, I think he could start by Week 3. He should be the 1st CB to look at in Round 2. (If not picked yet, of course)

then the 2008 draft we can focus on the offense

Brohm, Henne, Brennan, Booty = QB's
McFadden, Rice, Slaton = RB's
Baker, Long, Gaither = OT's
Manningham, Sweed..=WR's

Depending on where we're picking...let's just say about the middle..16th. we should have a highly rated OL, WR, RB, or QB fall to us..depending on what our team looks like take BPA there

no idea what the rest of the draft looks like. If our running game isn't looking good we could go with Rb if we think that's the problem..w/ rice or slaton..mcfadden would be gone #1. or if we think its the oline we could select OL finally in the first (and then trade for kalil whos was selected '07..lol jk)

next year should be offense..

i'm so excited how these two drafts can turn out. '07 and '08...'06 was already a winner.

I like this idea as well. Draft defensively in '07, and draft BPA offensively in '08. Surely at least 3 players from your list will drop to us. I'm pretty sure the 1st 15 picks won't be all offense. These 3 drafts could be straight up amazing.

i agree... but our front office will have to weigh the most pressing needs when the time comes. If quinn is available, he will be given serious consideration with our first pick.. and if we can trade carr for a pick, we can draft quinn in the 1st, and then use the rest of our picks on OL and defense. But, having two strong safety's in our starting lineup is absolutely killing us, and that is a need that has to be addressed. but, if smith and kubes believe quinn is the real deal at the qb spot, i'd say draft him if he is available and then hope that a respectable free safety falls into our lap in the later rounds..

but, if smith and kubes believe quinn is the real deal at the qb spot, i'd say draft him if he is available and then hope that a respectable free safety falls into our lap in the later rounds..

I guess I wouldn't be mad if we drafted Quinn in the 1st. But ONLY if we get Brandon Merriweather or Michael Griffin in the 2nd. I will support the picks. I trust Kubes. IMO, Ramsey could do just fine. As could Sage. On the other hand, our D improved towards the end of the season, and we have a chance to improve EVEN MORE. With the Colts, (and yes sadly the Titans) in our division, D must be top priority. Not to mention defense strongly helps chances of winning championships

If we can pick up hamlin in FA and landry and demarcus tyler our defensive core would only be lacking maybe a LB . top 10 defense for sure maybe top 5 by next year.

as much as landry would help this defense out what would help it more would be to grab branch or okoye, now i know what people may think, another DT, yes another DT but someone who can keep the double teams off of mario and allow him to do what he was drafted for, cause havok in the backfield and pressure the QB. corners and safties are only as good as the pressure that is put on the QB, now dont get me wrong we need an upgrade in talent in the secondary but in my opinon it would help the defense out more to grab someone like okoye, he is young, athletic and very smart. but hey what do i know i am just another texans fan

as much as landry would help this defense out what would help it more would be to grab branch or okoye, now i know what people may think, another DT, yes another DT but someone who can keep the double teams off or mario and allow him to do what he was drafted for, cause havok in the backfield and pressure the QB. corners and safties are only as good as the pressure that is put on the QB, now dont get me wrong we need an upgrade in talent in the secondary but in my opinon it would help the defense out more to grab someone like okoye, he is young, athletic and very smart. but hey what do i know i am just another texans fan

It all depends on what we do in free agency. I am totally with you if we get Hamlin. But if we don't we seriously have to consider Landry. The guy just seems to be a specimen who could help out our defense immediately. I'm excited!

it will be an interesting off season to say the least with the new front office, i am waiting to see what move will come next to turn the ship around

Long time reader of the MB's here, just now making my first post. :winky:
This offseason has huge potential for the Texans, and i like the Green signing a lot. I think with the pick up of a proven (and i think very good) RB that we can focus on defense in this draft. The texan's defense really came alive this past year after a rocky start, and i saw glimpses of a great defense. With a few holes filled i think they could be dominate!! I am praying we draft Laron Landry, he could become a huge addition to our defense, and would help make one awesome (and young...) defensive core. (mario, meco, dunta..and landry). He is a huge ball hawk and fly's around the field, can make the big hit, and can *gasp* create turnovers. He has good vision and and with 4.48 speed can help stop big plays that usually crush us. I just see him as a perfect fit and as a player than boost this defense and become a star. The point of this post is to try and say that our defense is almost there, and id rather have a dominate defense and pretty stale offense, than a so-so defence and a so-so offense. I love AP, and calvin johnson is nasty, but landry has a superb answer to our gaping safety problem. What do yall think?

I think we need to keep our QB off his butt! If we can get the run game going and protect the QB, I think our Defense will come along, I LIKE Laron as well, but I mean I think it is time to suck it up and take the road LEss travled and draft Levi Brown. It may not be popular but I know 1 guy that would LOVE to have him on his Left or Right side.

Lets say Spencer is healthy, lets just say!

LT- Spencer- Salaam
LG- Pitts- Winston
C - Mikinney ( Flanagan if he does not look like a butter ball this season!) They are called weights Mike.
RG- Cooper (Denver)
RT- Levi Brown
RB- Ahman Green
FB- Re sign- Vonte Leach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WR- Dre
WR- Antonio Bryant
WR- Walters
TE- Owens
QB- Carr :tease:

Thats a solid front.

I know David wants OL, but it can come later in the draft. It's a deep OL draft this year.

I think we go Okoye round one, and Weddle round two.

Defense wins championships, baby!

i agree... but our front office will have to weigh the most pressing needs when the time comes. If quinn is available, he will be given serious consideration with our first pick.. and if we can trade carr for a pick, we can draft quinn in the 1st, and then use the rest of our picks on OL and defense. But, having two strong safety's in our starting lineup is absolutely killing us, and that is a need that has to be addressed. but, if smith and kubes believe quinn is the real deal at the qb spot, i'd say draft him if he is available and then hope that a respectable free safety falls into our lap in the later rounds..

We the fans have been the only ones critical of the play of our Safeties. For all we know, Kubiak, Smith, Smith, and Bush all believe FS is a strength of our defense. Just like we don't know who was supposed to block who on the offensive line, we have no idea what our safeties were told to do. For all we know, they were probably told to keep everything in front of them, not to go for the ball, and play in prevent mode all year.

Kubes has never expressed anything but satisfaction with our safeties. Both CC & Earl started every game they could. Not like the musical chairs we've seen at CB, DT, RB, FB & OL...

I don't doubt that Landry is graded highly on every teams board, he might be the one taken before the #8 pick.

Prior to the season, Kubiak said he likes to have safeties that can switch, and play either position. It makes it easier to disguise your coverage. At the combine, they mentioned that is a trend you are seeing more of in the NFL.

And in my opinion, our safety situation is much better than our situation at CB.

I know David wants OL, but it can come later in the draft. It's a deep OL draft this year.

I think we go Okoye round one, and Weddle round two.

Defense wins championships, baby!

O I know, but you see what I am getting at. I mean really 2 more Olineman and we will be allright. I mean if they can find another Spencer in later rds, go for it! Draft Laron, just dont tell you know who I said that!:winky:

We the fans have been the only ones critical of the play of our Safeties. For all we know, Kubiak, Smith, Smith, and Bush all believe FS is a strength of our defense. Just like we don't know who was supposed to block who on the offensive line, we have no idea what our safeties were told to do. For all we know, they were probably told to keep everything in front of them, not to go for the ball, and play in prevent mode all year.

Kubes has never expressed anything but satisfaction with our safeties. Both CC & Earl started every game they could. Not like the musical chairs we've seen at CB, DT, RB, FB & OL...

I don't doubt that Landry is graded highly on every teams board, he might be the one taken before the #8 pick.

Prior to the season, Kubiak said he likes to have safeties that can switch, and play either position. It makes it easier to disguise your coverage. At the combine, they mentioned that is a trend you are seeing more of in the NFL.

And in my opinion, our safety situation is much better than our situation at CB.

I bet that you could walk on water easier than Kubiak and Smith could think our current situation at FS is the strength of our team. :shades:

I think we have enough players to be able to hold that corner down to an extent... getting Landry would be much bigger than getting another corner in my opinion. This guy actually is the real deal... I didn't buy it for a while... but now... man... 4.35 at safety?... he lays hits like roy williams, finds the ball like ed reed, and runs like champ bailey... his potential is unreal, and its not just combine times, its plays he has made at LSU.

I want him over adrian peterson, seriously. Why?

Watch this (it picks up around a minute)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bip9KlMxd04

With a player like that, teams will have to game plan for him and Mario. Mario will be have to be double teamed and this safety...well we can blitz him... and he seriously goes balls to the wall week in and week out. He isn't afraid of anything and he has an attitude and he doenst care what the other team says about it. In that video you will see him hit someone, and then tell them again about how he is going to do it again again and again. I think he could be the missing piece to have our defense go from decent, to dominant.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N-zuQOtEu4k&mode=related&search=

^ my fav. hit

I luv Landry I thik he would help out our D tramendous. I also think we need to take kalil in the 2nd. We need a center that can take control of the line and I think he could be the man. IMO

Finish off our Defense this year...

1-Laron Landry FS LSU
2-DeMarcus Tyler DT NC St.
3-Marcus McCauley CB Fresno St.
4-Desmond Bishop LB Cal

5-Jacoby Jones WR Lane
6-Mario Henderson OL FSU
7-Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor

Dunta---Landry---Earl---McCauley
Greenwood-Demeco-Bishop
Mario--Maddox-Tyler-Weaver

I gotta say.....It's nice to see some people's thinking aligning with what I've been concluding. Sepulveda would be a GREAT pick in the 7th. Heck, I doubt he'll make it past the 6th or maybe 5th. The kid is special.

More importantly.....I agree about taking Kalil (2) & Kolb (3) if they're available. Add that to the LANDRY pick, and our team just got a lot better for years to come!

Wouldn't that be SICK if we actually got a 3rd for Carr...and got KOLB and MCCAULEY (I know...I know....:pigfly: )

I bet that you could walk on water easier than Kubiak and Smith could think our current situation at FS is the strength of our team. :shades:

judging by the way we played musical players at Corner & DT, I'd think Kubiak & Richard Smith is happier with our Safeties than he is with our Corners & DTs.

I'm not against Drafting Landry, that's not what I'm saying at all. In reply to the post I quoted, with the F.O. weighing needs, don't be surprised if a safety has less weight than other positions. BPA... no doubt Landry is probably at the top of that list, & that's something else to consider.

Before the combine, he was a top 10 pick. Now, he may be top 5... or at least unlikely that he'll be there at 8.

judging by the way we played musical players at Corner & DT, I'd think Kubiak & Richard Smith is happier with our Safeties than he is with our Corners & DTs.

I'm not against Drafting Landry, that's not what I'm saying at all. In reply to the post I quoted, with the F.O. weighing needs, don't be surprised if a safety has less weight than other positions. BPA... no doubt Landry is probably at the top of that list, & that's something else to consider.

Before the combine, he was a top 10 pick. Now, he may be top 5... or at least unlikely that he'll be there at 8.

That was mainly b/c of injury though. Had Faggins been healthy at the start of the season, Sanders/buchanon very well wouldn't have played except for in nickel/dime situations.

I don't know why people are so high on Laron Landry?

He's mediocre in coverage, with poor instincts for the ball. He also tackles poorly and never wraps up. So far, his only saving grace is his 40.

If we went secondary in the first, it should be either Leon Hall or Damien Huges. With safety being as deep as it is, a potential shutdown corner in the 1st would make more sense.

1. Hall/Huges
2. Merriweather

I see Merriweather being the next Ed Reed. A ball hawk with great speed and some good hits in him.

He's mediocre in coverage, with poor instincts for the ball. He also tackles poorly and never wraps up. So far, his only saving grace is his 40.

If we went secondary in the first, it should be either Leon Hall or Damien Huges. With safety being as deep as it is, a potential shutdown corner in the 1st would make more sense.

1. Hall/Huges
2. Merriweather

I see Merriweather being the next Ed Reed. A ball hawk with great speed and some good hits in him.

OK what are you somking? Poor on tackling...Give me a break bro he had some of the hardest hit this year out of all college players.

1. Hall/Huges
2. Merriweather

Dameion Hughes? Lost all credibility.

I guess I have a different opinion on him. I think he's an awesome tackler and does wrap up. He is really good against the run and is a superb blitzer. he plays very fast in pads...I never expected a 4.35 that is just icing on the cake. I also think he's good in pass coverage...and gets his hand on the ball.

another thing i like about him is his leadership skills. he is very football smart and would be the biggest asset we would have in our backfield. he would be the leader of our secondary. This kid is a LOT like demeco.

Put Landry out there during the Rodeo and he'd rope up all those calfs....kid is sick..

Landry in the first, Kalil in the second, Kolb in the third, Brown in the fourth, Alleman in the fifth, Hicks in the sixth and Medlock or Sepuldeva in the seventh. that would be perfect!

O I know, but you see what I am getting at. I mean really 2 more Olineman and we will be allright. I mean if they can find another Spencer in later rds, go for it! Draft Laron, just dont tell you know who I said that!:winky:

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they didn't get a couple more olineman in this draft.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they didn't get a couple more olineman in this draft.

What school did Brandon Frye go to again? He looks pretty good in the 4th or 5th. Also, Dustin Fry out of Clemson is a 6th or 7th round guard that looks very promising.

Henne I would love to see taken next year. But, if he plays well this year(and he should). I doubt he will last past the #4-5 pick. And I HOPE we aren't that high agian...unless we trade up.

Henne I would love to see taken next year. But, if he plays well this year(and he should). I doubt he will last past the #4-5 pick. And I HOPE we aren't that high agian...unless we trade up.

I don't think Henne will be a 1st rounder. Maybe not a 2nd rounder. I may be wrong though.

Well, we only need a DT & a FS now. Go for Landry!!! Also if we sign James Reed will he be depth or starter. I'm pretty sure he was a starter at KC, but I don't know what he would be if he came here.

Back