Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans current best is #5 pick

Texian

Hall of Fame
This is a pre-pre-pre 2007 draft analysis. The Texans are currently in line at best for the #5 pick in the draft. The last game with Cleveland will probably be a deciding factor. With the #5 pick the Texans have a chance at Calvin Johnson WR, Ga Tech. If they drop to #s 7-9 they have a chance at LaRon Landry, S, LSU. Right now I would be happy if they could get Johnson, Michael Griffin, S Texas, in the 2nd. If they went with Landry, take Michael Bush RB, Louisville in the 2nd and with both scenarios take Doug Free OT N Ill. and move Winston to guard...no time like the present to get this debate started.

How do the draft eligible LTs compare to Gross, Gallery, Brick, etc?
I love the fact that Gallery has been declared a bust in Oakland at times and Gross has had problems in Carolina but no one will discuss that maybe the Texans made the right decision in passing up the two future "great" LTs for other skill position. Yes, the Texans have bad offensive line play, but it is not because they failed to draft high tackles bc we'd still have bad offensive line play if we picked those guys.

there is no way Micheal Griffin will fall that far. And why Calvin Johnson anyways? I would rather use our first pick for what we needed. We already have AJ and Eric Moulds who has been solid receivers. Draft O-lineman who could help this poor David Carr or a defensive Back to help out the passing defense.

S, CB, OLB, OL is all we need to think about guys. Our backs will produce if the oline can get some push. Our defense is just a few tweaks away from upper echelon.

there is no way Micheal Griffin will fall that far. And why Calvin Johnson anyways? I would rather use our first pick for what we needed. We already have AJ and Eric Moulds who has been solid receivers. Draft O-lineman who could help this poor David Carr or a defensive Back to help out the passing defense.

How would Michael Griffin not fall that far? Texas supposedly has 2, maybe even 3 first day draft picks from its secondary - but we're also like 110 out of 119 in pass defense.

How would Michael Griffin not fall that far? Texas supposedly has 2, maybe even 3 first day draft picks from its secondary - but we're also like 110 out of 119 in pass defense.

Agreed. The Longhorn secondary paid a price for the rush D. There are some talented guys back there but I wouldn't be too quick to throw Griffin in the 1st Round lot. If he is a 1st Rounder I will predict the very late.... I could see the Pats taking him since Rodney Harrison is nearing the end of his rope.

After looking at our needs and seeing where we might draft here is a scenario:
We end up with the #5 pick worth(1700) points, We trade down to #12(1200)+ their 2nd Rd'er at #44( 460 ). Ok that being said here is what I would like to see happen.
#12- Levi Brown OT Penn St. (RD 1 )

#37- Damien Hughes CB Cal (RD2)

#44- Tim Shaw OLB Penn St. (RD2)

#69- Kevin Kolb QB Univ. Houston (RD3)

#101- Josh Gattis S Wake Forrest (RD4)

#133- Derek Landri DT Notre Dame (RD5)

#165- Alvin Blanks RB James Madison (RD6)

#197 BPA

How do the draft eligible LTs compare to Gross, Gallery, Brick, etc?

I think this is the deepest class in quite awhile. I believe Groos was in the same class as Quam Harris of the 49ers. Since neither one has excelled at olt, I believe it is safe now to assume that wasn't a very good class. The top six in '07 have far more potential than that class did when they came out.

The top Sr. Prospect, Joe Thomas is going to get the hype that Gallery did. I have no good explanation why Gallery didn't progress better. The college film and the combine numbers said Gallery was a lock.

TBS, judge for yourself when Wisconsin takes the feild for their bowl game. He has lightening quick fast feet, great arms and he's a great leader. When you watch Thomas, watch the way his eyes move as he checks out his assingments and the intergety of the pocket. I think you'll be pretty impressed also. I've watched him four game this year and I haven't seen a miss. Moot though...he'll be off the board with the first two picks. Third win killed any cahance we had in getting the guy. If he hadn't injured his leg late last year he would of been a top ten to fifteen pick in '06. Reminds me a lot of 74.

IF Jerred Gaither comes out..he is eligable( Sophmore) he is 1a in my book. He's played olt befor, but he is currently the Maryland's Rt. He is a beast and would dwarf Sir Charles Spencer. He is more of a prospect in my book in that I do not believe he has as quick as feet as Thomas. But the potentail is there. He has the chance to be a Walter Jones/Jonathan Ogden/Jakie Slatter elite OLT. He would definatly be worth a top seven pick in my book.

Then after those two...you have four more who look to be better OLT prospects than Gross was when he came out. Glenn Takic range or so. I haven't watched enough Penn St. football to render an opinion on Brown. He looks a little slew footed to be an OLT from what I did see. See what he does at the comebine. I doubt we take a RT prospect that high with Erick Winston, Weigert and Salaam as the swing.

Just my humble opinion, with the stong WR class and the deep OLT class, I'm thinking there will be a run on the O-line prospects in the first round. Some mocks have as many as six going off the board the first round. And as I've posted befor if the go DB or All day in the first round, I'll be on board. But to have this many prospects on the board and not come away with one, with our history with tackles would be very depressing. Moreover, in my book , it would be a football sin.

I think the cardinals will pick thomas before the texans unless the cards start winning. They need an offensive lineman bad....

We end up with the #5 pick worth(1700) points, We trade down to #12(1200)+ their 2nd Rd'er at #44( 460 ). Ok that being said here is what I would like to see happen.
#12- Levi Brown OT Penn St. (RD 1 ) Not worth top 15, and honestly not even close. I have him as a bust already and do not see him ever playing LT in the NFL.

#37- Damien Hughes CB Cal (RD2) Good choice, but might be more athletic CB's available. Wouldn't be upset though.

#44- Tim Shaw OLB Penn St. (RD2) Right school, wrong LB. Dan Conor instead.

#69- Kevin Kolb QB Univ. Houston (RD3) Too early and overrated by most. System guy who needs a year or two. Modest potential w/average arm. Not worth this pick.

#101- Josh Gattis S Wake Forrest (RD4) Overrated beyond belief. Won't ever be better than Brown at FS. It's sad.

#133- Derek Landri DT Notre Dame (RD5) Don't know enough about to render judgement at this point.

#165- Alvin Blanks RB James Madison (RD6) Don't know enough about to render judgement at this point.

#197 BPA
Punter from Baylor or a K

mine in bold.

The weakest link is safety and LaRon Landry would be a a good addition with the first pic. If you want a LT take a look at a 2nd RD pic Doug Free 6'7", 315LT for N Ill. This is the guy with 39 straight starts who paved the way for 1,000-yard rushers such as All-America tailbacks Michael "The Burner" Turner and Garrett Wolfe.

#101- Josh Gattis S Wake Forrest (RD4) Overrated beyond belief. Won't ever be better than Brown at FS. It's sad.

Just out of curiousity how many times have you watched Josh actually play football? Not how many message board articles have you read about him. Not how many stats you have seen. But how many times have you watched him play football? I have personally watched Josh play over 20 times over the past four years. I took note of a freshman who didn't see much time at FS but made a ridiculous number of huge plays on special teams coverage. Since then I have watched as he has matured into not only a very good FS but a very clutch FS. When the game is on the line late in the fourth quarter it is Josh who makes the big interception or the big hit to dislodge a ball. He may not wow you with his combine measurables but if you actually watched him play on the field when it counts you would see a special kid who will make big plays for you both in the secondary and on special teams.

#12- Levi Brown OT Penn St. (RD 1 )

#37- Damien Hughes CB Cal (RD2)

#44- Tim Shaw OLB Penn St. (RD2)

#69- Kevin Kolb QB Univ. Houston (RD3)

#101- Josh Gattis S Wake Forrest (RD4)

#133- Derek Landri DT Notre Dame (RD5)

#165- Alvin Blanks RB James Madison (RD6)

#197 BPA

hes not gonna last past pick 15

I love the fact that Gallery has been declared a bust in Oakland at times and Gross has had problems in Carolina but no one will discuss that maybe the Texans made the right decision in passing up the two future "great" LTs for other skill position. Yes, the Texans have bad offensive line play, but it is not because they failed to draft high tackles bc we'd still have bad offensive line play if we picked those guys.

So under your logic, even though the OLT prospects are thick as flies on a water melon at a picnic, we thumb our nose at them...becuase one guy projected as a lock hasn't made it yet ? How many sacks now...265 and counting ? There's a reason the o-line sucks. I can stand it as long as you can. New QB, old QB, all day won't make no difference untill they get the line fixed we'll be the twenty first centry Bengals. Just be nice with a good class the club would at least sniff at one.

Just out of curiousity how many times have you watched Josh actually play football? Not how many message board articles have you read about him. Not how many stats you have seen. But how many times have you watched him play football? I have personally watched Josh play over 20 times over the past four years. I took note of a freshman who didn't see much time at FS but made a ridiculous number of huge plays on special teams coverage. Since then I have watched as he has matured into not only a very good FS but a very clutch FS. When the game is on the line late in the fourth quarter it is Josh who makes the big interception or the big hit to dislodge a ball. He may not wow you with his combine measurables but if you actually watched him play on the field when it counts you would see a special kid who will make big plays for you both in the secondary and on special teams.

Yep with you there. Won't bang on the Gattis drum, but he lost me @ 12 with Brown. I think Gettis is a vn player. Any time the deamond deacons come out of no where and make a good team...I'm paying attention.

ride Carr to a couple more excellent drafts, finishing the defense first. We need another stud defensive lineman then corner/safety help. draft a QB next year (JAMARCUS RUSSELL/BRIAN BROHM) along with OT in 2nd :phone:

The weakest link is safety and LaRon Landry would be a a good addition with the first pic. If you want a LT take a look at a 2nd RD pic Doug Free 6'7", 315LT for N Ill. This is the guy with 39 straight starts who paved the way for 1,000-yard rushers such as All-America tailbacks Michael "The Burner" Turner and Garrett Wolfe.

I watched him when I was watching Garrett Wolfe. Big leap between Thomas/Gaither and Free. What makes you think he'll be on the board the Texans in the third ? See what he lifts. What was Seth Wand's Measurables again ?

We could go after Joe Staley from Mich. but not sure he will be there, and sure Thomas won't be.

ride Carr to a couple more excellent drafts, finishing the defense first. We need another stud defensive lineman then corner/safety help. draft a QB next year (JAMARCUS RUSSELL/BRIAN BROHM) along with OT in 2nd :phone:

With you there BL. I can see Uncle Bob eating eight million. I can't see him eating sixteen million. There's love, but business is business. -5 or no -5, he ain't eating a sixteen million dollar deal.

How you guys can thumb your nose at the OLT's this year is beyond me. Four of the five years there was virtually no one to take. First two years we got Bosselli teased to death like a college freshman at the hochie-coochie bar by CC. Get a year with several of them on trhe board you guys are ho hum ? Mind boggeling.

I do not believe Carr is the long term solution for us, but he is more than adequate right now while we upgrade our O-line and defense. I do not think Carr has the composure to play for us anymore, but I think we can build around him and replace him at a later date when there is a QB actually worth drafting early. This years QB's suck in comparison to last years. Draft O-line first, secure that weak link, then draft defense the rest of the day.

The Safety/CB position has the biggest dearth in talent on the Texans. I see this being addressed with the first-round pick, most likely with this LaRon Landry guy. Linebacker in the second, and Center in the third.

Priority one; fix the running game. I don't care if this means drafting a new RB, more OL help, whatever just fix it.

Priority two; the secondary. I don't think alot of help is needed here. A good to great FS would go a long way to improving the group, as would getting some consistent presure on the opposing QB.

Priority three, the kickers. Both guys could be upgraded, but at no more of a cost then a 6th or 7th rounder. We are not good enough to spend anything higher on these positions.

our running game will come around when Spencer returns, Winston continues development & the rest recover from injurys. I would earmark any rd. that a player the Texans want @ RB falls to them, 1st rd Peterson, 2nd rd. Bush, 3rd. Wright, 4th rd. Young etc. etc. etc...

the only LT available when the Texans pick (6-10) who could start & have impact is Jake Long, Michigan. Last year I really wanted Andrew Whitworth who almost slipped to the Texans in the 3rd. He has been the starting LT for Palmer in Cincinnati as a rookie.

I've also grown to appreciate the skills that LaRon Landry would bring to the secondary. I feel he would also bring instant impact to the starting line-up & would be good if thats the route the Texans take.

Lastly I've softened up on the need to draft impact defensive lineman with that 1st pick, there is real value and its nessecary to build your foundation starting with the defensive line. the jury is still out with Travis, I hope he can at the very least become an average NFL starting DT. What would help him & Mario (not to mention the entire Texans defense) is a true stud @ DT. someone who can match Marios talent, upside & youth. fellow Texans fans I beleive I've found someone who fits the bill & along with Mario would make the Texans front line a formible force for years to come in the NFL. If available when the Texans pick he would be my #1 choice.

Amobi Okoye 6' 1 1/2" 320 lbs. enrolled at Louisville @ 15 years old & will just be 19 when the 2007 draft is held in April. Watching him move reminded me of Mario, very smooth yet powerful. relentless & athletic very natural teams have to commit two players to keep him under check. would work in a 4-3 or a 3-4 so gives you alot of options on a team that lacks any great/healthy Defensive Tackles. this is not only a need (like LT/FS/CB/OLB/RB/QB) but quite possibly the steal of the top 10 picks & in the long run the BPA :twocents:

Isn't it sad that we have to start talking about the draft this early as Texans fans. I love the draft in a major way but it's like its when our season actually starts.

Does anyone think Peterson would last at #5?

I have to say I don't disagree entirely with going with the WR at #5 if we can't get peterson. You gotta think Arizona would end up getting Joe Thomas. If at #5 Calvin is still there you gotta get a TD maker/Stretch the field guy. Moulds isn't stretching the field, Johnson can but he continues to be the only option to do so. After Moulds and Johnson who do we have that can be a difference maker? Walter and Mathis? Mathis still is a work in progress receiver wise and Walter ....... he is good but Calvin is a serious upgrade. Moulds wont be here for long.

Offensive line wise, you have to remember Kubiak is going to draft based on his system and here is where I think our new GM will benefit us. He already knows what kind of lineman Kubes needs and most likely this will happen in the second round.

The second round will be big for us because this is where I believe we will be making the picks that make our TEAM better. OL, or S, or another LB to go with Demeco.

Isn't it sad that we have to start talking about the draft this early as Texans fans. I love the draft in a major way but it's like its when our season actually starts.

must be how Carr feels when the pocket collapses & he's engulfed for the 200th or 300th time, its become habitual :spy: someday Texans fans will be able to just enjoy the games & look forward to the postseason & playoffs, but until then we have a special interest in building a winner, plus College Football is fun to watch & scout future players :dance3:

Put me in the fix the running game band wagon...

If Adrian Peterson should fall into our lap, we would be ignorant not to draft him.

But whatever the Texan's front office decides is fine with me. It get's harder and harder to guess them...

Put me in the fix the running game band wagon...

If Adrian Peterson should fall into our lap, we would be ignorant not to draft him.

But whatever the Texan's front office decides is fine with me. It get's harder and harder to guess them...

Well get ready to call them ignorant 'cuz I see no way we take a RB in the first RD

Well get ready to call them ignorant 'cuz I see no way we take a RB in the first RD

It makes me no never mind which way they go. I don't get upset over draft picks anymore cause it never happens like I wish. As long as they don't pull a reach and grab someone who would probably still be on the boards in the 3rd round. Kind of like grabbing Babin with a trade in the 1st when no one seen him going anywhere early...

But oh well...

I would prefer the Texans look at more of a speed back whos not afraid to run between the tackles & fits Kubiaks system. Dwayne Wright is my pick in the 3rd/4th rds. height 6-0 weight 222 excellent cutting (lane vision) power (able to break multiple arm tackles) & speed (waiting for combine #'s but I expect him to surprise people possibly breaking 4.5) now two years removed from acl & moving like 100% once again. would not be surprised if some team took a serious look at him in the 2nd but still too high for Texans :cowboy1:

Oh your talking about the injury he got diving into the endzone when he broke that 70 something yard run?

I want him but I think Oakland is taking him.

Back