Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans @ Chiefs - 2nd Round (And Round 2)

So... let's talk about this improved KC defense.

Chargers
Raiders
Patriots
Broncos
Bears
Chargers

Those are the offenses they played the last 6 weeks. I think that's got more to do with their defensive turnaround than some come to Jesus moment.

We CAN win it. Will we........ I doubt it. If BOB pulls his head out of his backside and goes up tempo with DW4 playing loose, then yes we could very well win.

Oh... you want to get into a shoot out with them?

Every Division Round game next weekend will feature a QB that has comeback from a torn ACL:

Vikings vs 49ers - Garoppolo

Titans vs Ravens - Tannehill

Texans vs Chiefs - Watson

Seahawks vs Packers - Rodgers

Just like every Wild Card game last week:

Bills vs Texans - Watson

Titans vs Patriots - Brady & Tannehill

Vikings vs Saints - Brees

Seahawks vs Eagles - Wentz

We rushed for almost 200 yards last game so I expect us to try to establish the run again and eat up as much clock as we can. Play action looking for TE's. They caught 9 balls last game. And a few Fuller deep balls to keep them honest. Keep Mahomes on the sidelines for as long as possible, but be ready to abandon the game plan at some point later in the game if a shootout is necessary, which it probably will be. But that's not the game that we want to dictate. I expect a wild game with turnovers late in the game playing a big role in the outcome.

Stills and Jjo were out for us against KC. I thought Roby was out or hurt much of that game. Fairbairn sucked because ANger and him were not in sync. We added Conley and VH since then. I think Lonnie will be used with Gipson out to cover Kelce. Sure we are the underdog, but we beat them and were not at full strength either. Wonder if we can run for almost 200 again?

Does that mean Obrien will run hyde up the middle 25 times? Good god I hope he at least runs off tackle a couple times

I hope he lets him run left and right. In this case I don’t believe running the ball a lot is a bad strategy. Need to find a way to keep Mahomes off the field and limiting his chances to score.

Does that mean Obrien will run hyde up the middle 25 times? Good god I hope he at least runs off tackle a couple times
Probably. It's a solid plan if it's working. I think that the good news for us is that we match up fairly well with the Chiefs for what BOB likes to do most. But we're still going to need some Watson magic in the end to pull this one off imo.

The game is at 2 o'clock Sunday, Jan. 12. We have to play in that snake pit in KC. CBS will air the game and we are about an 8-point dog.

If the LWW pattern holds, this should be our 2nd win in the triad. But my predictor says not this time. Enjoy that we got this far, if you can. Squaws 30, Texians 21.

If we win this one it will be our biggest win ever without a doubt, nothing would even come close. Kansas City beating the Oilers in 93 was a franchise killer and that 2015 playoff game loss at home was an all time low point for the Texans. We just stuck the knife in Bills' fans hearts and broke it off, if anybody is on a ******* revenge tour it's definitely us.

Gonna beat the Chiefs and Titans twice before winning the SB and sending JJ off to the HoF.
I am trying to look at this from an impartial point of view. As much as I love JJ Watt, I do not think if he retired today, he would be a guaranteed HoFer. He has only played 6 full seasons, and dominant 5 of them. When compared to the other first ballot HoF defensive lineman, I dont think Watt is there yet. He needs a couple more solid seasons to be on that list.

This will come down to same 3 who willed the Texans to their WC win......Watson, Hopkins and Watt.

Sometimes I forget we have the 28th ranked defense. But JJ does add a much needed spark and some pass rush. That worries me a lot about a team that's much healthier than the first time we played them.

The slow start stuff won't work. I know last time we came back down 17 but playoff football is a different animal and this is a team that felt cheated last year. They'll be ready and this season has shown no matter the situation the Texans don't start ready. If there's ever a time to change that script its next Sunday.

This is a very winnable game. I don't care what the spread says. This team can rally to take us to a level we've never seen. Let's hope this is the year. They did go all in.

Sometimes I forget we have the 28th ranked defense. But JJ does add a much needed spark and some pass rush. That worries me a lot about a team that's much healthier than the first time we played them.

The slow start stuff won't work. I know last time we came back down 17 but playoff football is a different animal and this is a team that felt cheated last year. They'll be ready and this season has shown no matter the situation the Texans don't start ready. If there's ever a time to change that script its next Sunday.

This is a very winnable game. I don't care what the spread says. This team can rally to take us to a level we've never seen. Let's hope this is the year. They did go all in.
Do not worry too much about the defensive rankings. Patriots had number 1 ranked defense, and Bills had number 3.... and look where they are now.

I am trying to look at this from an impartial point of view. As much as I love JJ Watt, I do not think if he retired today, he would be a guaranteed HoFer. He has only played 6 full seasons, and dominant 5 of them. When compared to the other first ballot HoF defensive lineman, I dont think Watt is there yet. He needs a couple more solid seasons to be on that list.

There has only been one 3x DPOTY, Lawrence Taylor. JJ is easily a first ballot HoF for the work he's done on the field.

if we win the SB you think JJ watt will retire ..???

Yes. I think so because of previous interviews in 2016 where he talked about not wanting to be the old injured player trying to hang on. He's been aware of the limited time players get in the league. If we win a SB this year I don't think he would have anything left to play for. He's earned league wide respect, has the stats, the contract, and a hypothetical ring. Looking at it from his perspective, why subject your body to even more damage? It'll be a story line for sure.

:twocents:

JJ Watt: “I’m Not Going To Play Very Much Longer”

“I can tell you right now that I am not going to be one of those guys that is going to play as long as I possibly can. I have no interest in that. I want to go out there, I want to play at an extremely high level, I want to help my team out and I want to love playing the game and I want to have fun playing the game. I know I don’t plan on playing the game as long as I possibly can. It’s not going to be terribly longer but I am going to play as long as I can enjoy it and have fun.”

There has only been one 3x DPOTY, Lawrence Taylor. JJ is easily a first ballot HoF for the work he's done on the field.
Doubt it. His career has been way too short. Any other first ballot HOFers with only 6 full seasons played?

Tyreek Hill is going to be tough cover for us. Watson has to start well if we go down double digits in KC we will not come back.

I'm pretty sure we said the same thing last time. I don't think we should make a habit of it, but it is simply not true.

Screenshot_20200106-072226_Chrome.jpg

I hate him, but Bill has put together a tough resilient team.

The slow start stuff won't work. I know last time we came back down 17 but playoff football is a different animal and this is a team that felt cheated last year.

They were down 16-0 Saturday, against a playoff team.

This team has been doing it all year. I'm not saying we will again, only don't quit on your team until the fat lady sings.

Any other 3x DPOY? any other two 20 sack seasons?

I am more of a Jj fatigued guy, but he's a first ballot HOFr. Who else will be in his class?
This is where we disagree. I agree JJs accomplishments are unbelievable but first ballot HOFers are players with long consistently great careers. Not great players who accomplished a lot in a short period of time.

Jim Brown played 9 full seasons, Watt has played 6 full seasons. Which is why I said Watt needs a couple more seasons to be in the HOF discussion.

Although the Hall of Fame doesn’t require candidates to have played a minimum number of games, most short careers are measured against Chicago Bears legend Gale Sayers, who played 68 games over seven seasons. And while it’s hard to imagine anyone beating Nevers’ record, this year’s voters showed a willingness to accept quality and quantity.

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20...o-hall-of-fame-careers-how-short-is-too-short

All dem sumbiches over yunder on that der chiefs board sounding ruther cocky...... trying to sound as country as possible so they think we're just a bunch of dumb hillbillies shhhhh

I read through some of the comments over there. Yes, they have every right to be confident. However, they are really trashing the Texans. Most Bills fans and a majority of the national media expected us to lose to Buffalo. We came back and won. We have done pretty well on the road this year (excluding Baltimore). We have a chance. The Chiefs have more on the line than we do in my opinion. If we manage to beat them a second time, it's another year where they have to moan about and discuss how Andy Reid just can't get it done, etc. etc. If we lose, everyone already expected it to happen. If we win, it is another pleasant surprise. We then probably get trashed again by the media and everyone else leading up to the AFC Championship. That is just how it is going to be. We have the talent, and when we execute and play clean football we always have a chance to win. Sunday will be yet another test. We will see what happens. Common sense tells us we probably lose this Sunday. However, I have learned that with this team, common sense isn't always very common. We never know what the hell is going to happen.

Although the Hall of Fame doesn’t require candidates to have played a minimum number of games, most short careers are measured against Chicago Bears legend Gale Sayers, who played 68 games over seven seasons. And while it’s hard to imagine anyone beating Nevers’ record, this year’s voters showed a willingness to accept quality and quantity.

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20...o-hall-of-fame-careers-how-short-is-too-short
Its all a matter of opinion. I would LOVE to see JJ in the HOF.... however I am just giving my personal opinion that I dont think he would be a 1st ballot HOFer, YET.... if he was though, all the better.

Its all a matter of opinion. I would LOVE to see JJ in the HOF.... however I am just giving my personal opinion that I dont think he would be a 1st ballot HOFer, YET.... if he was though, all the better.

I don't know about first ballot, that depends on when and who else is in the class, but hin gold jacket is made. He's one of only two players in nfl history with 3 DPOY trophies and the ONLY player in nfl history with multiple 20 sack seasons

Ya, I don't get all the "wow" with this guy. Watson has lots of "wow" in him as well.

He's good, yes. But he's not THAT much better than Watson.

Or like Terrell Davis?? 7 seasons / 78 games.
Davis winning 2 Super Bowls and 1 Super Bowl MVP is a HUGE part of his induction.

Reactions: 1d4
Ya, I don't get all the "wow" with this guy. Watson has lots of "wow" in him as well.

He's good, yes. But he's not THAT much better than Watson.

Or like Terrell Davis?? 7 seasons / 78 games.
I don’t think Mahomes is THAT much better than Watson, never have I said or even thought that he is. On their best days they are at least equals, and the argument could be made Watson is more dangerous to a defense...on those days. It’s just my opinion that, to this point Mahomes is more consistent and Watson’s floor has shown to be lower. Watson’s had some real stinkers in his NFL career, one of which came in the playoffs last season.

Sure it is, but not enough in itself or Jim Plunkett would be in
You are missing my point. Davis and Watt both play(ed) shortened careers with tons of personal accomplishments and accolades. Both amazing players at their respective positions for a shorter career. But Davis ALSO has 2 Super Bowls and a Super Bowl MVP, which Watt does not have. Which is how I am justifying Davis as a HOFer.

You are missing my point. Davis and Watt both play(ed) shortened careers with tons of personal accomplishments and accolades. Both amazing players at their respective positions for a shorter career. But Davis ALSO has 2 Super Bowls and a Super Bowl MVP, which Watt does not have. Which is how I am justifying Davis as a HOFer.

This is the playoff thread versus the Chiefs. JJ Watt Hall of Fame credentials can be discussed elsewhere.

Interesting stuff from Sean Salisbury this morning.

He said this Texans team is the worst team he has ever seen at adjusting to and handling the blitz. And he essentially placed most of it at the feet of Watson. Failure to adjust blocking, failure to hit hot reads, failure to get the ball out quick, failure to change plays, etc. Look for teams to keep blitzing Watson as we move forward.
This from a guy who says he would take no other QB in the league over Watson when the game is on the line.

Back