Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans at Vikings Gameday Thread

in your opinions, anyone stand out (or drop off) at CB and S.

Keo didnt look good.

any other thoughts,
what about demps??
did barber play??
thoughts on McManis??

etc!!
Some of us, ME, thought all of Phillips' draft choices would be great. OOPS!!!

Why didn't the give Williams a few more carries??

Is that the kid that made the last run? If so, I thought the same thing. That was one hell of a first run. Maybe he didn't practice well? Who knows how they make their decisions.....

I don't know exactly why, but I had a feeling of confidence watching Bryant Johnson, both catching the ball, and running after the catch.
I don't think he's a game changer by any means, but he seemed to fit in very naturally, and he seems like he can be a decent posession receiver. I think he might eventually steal some of Walter's snaps.
That's just a gut reaction based on limited playing time, but I just have a good feeling about him playing a roll on this team.

After watching the game , we are thin on both lines . Butler and Caldwell will be back so that's good . DL ... We need a couple of more from the waiver wire .

Braman over Nading .

It was sarcasm bro....:kitten:

Well a "facepalm" isn't the best "sarcasm" smile. This site has like 4 different "facepalm" smiles...and non of them are positive. Next time try to be more clear. :)

For instance... there's nothing "sarcastic" about this post..

Here comes another 7 points :vincepalm::scarygirl:

Mainly because this is what was actually happening, you need to go see what the word "sarcastic" means again.

He's going to make the 53 man roster... if they try to stash him somebody will snatch him up. (He's a QB) Sorry, but T.J. Yates will be on the 53 man roster and Houston will carry 3 QBs this year.

I disagree that someone will snatch him up and I think it's a very good chance he is put on the PS.

I disagree that someone will snatch him up and I think it's a very good chance he is put on the PS.

I could see it going either way, but I think you could be right.
I'm not so sure that many other teams would be willing to take him knowing that they have to put him on their active roster.

I could see it going either way, but I think you could be right.
I'm not so sure that many other teams would be willing to take him knowing that they have to put him on their active roster.

I just think that lots of teams have end if the roster developmental guys and I dont think Yates is anything special to where teams are going to be licking their chops to put him on their active roster.

Look at the Vikings with web behind mcnabb and ponder. Lots of teams draft late round qb's or bring in udfa guys that they are high on. I don't see many teams willing to commit a roster spot to Yates no matter how valuable we think he is. If he was such a value commodity and teams were convinced he was worth a roster spot I think he'd have been drafted earlier.

Jmo.

If he's put on a wavier wire, someone will snatch him up. There's plenty of teams looking for QBs.

So because teams are looking for qb's they are going to be interested in any young qb that hits the waiver wire?

Maybe you think Yates is that good, but if teams were committed to giving him a roster spot he'd have been drafted earlier IMO.

Dude was a fifth rd pick. Let's not act like we're trying to sneak colt McCoy onto the practice squad.

I really don't think he is on other teams radar to where they are going to commit a roster spot on him.

Rey, that's how it should go down. I agree.

But I think the only flaw is the ever-present situation of "WHAT IF" Kubiak decides to keep 3 guys on the 53?

By all means, he would sneak through to the PS...he hasn't flashed enough that another team would grab him. A team would have to sign him to THEIR active roster to grab him off our own PS. I don't see anybody doing that...except that sneaky Bud Adams who likes to sign our guys to reveal our plays/tactics/etc.

Maybe you think Yates is that good, but if teams were committed to giving him a roster spot he'd have been drafted earlier IMO.

The guy was drafted in the 5th round......that's almost roster spot worthy, so he got drafted right where he should've been. If drafted any earlier he'd all but guaranteed a #2 backup QB spot. The guy was drafted right where he needed to be, which pretty much guarantees him a 53 man roster spot.

Rey, that's how it should go down. I agree.

But I think the only flaw is the ever-present situation of "WHAT IF" Kubiak decides to keep 3 guys on the 53?

By all means, he would sneak through to the PS...he hasn't flashed enough that another team would grab him. A team would have to sign him to THEIR active roster to grab him off our own PS. I don't see anybody doing that...except that sneaky Bud Adams who likes to sign our guys to reveal our plays/tactics/etc.

Oh I agree that there is a good chance that kubiak will keep him on the active.

But I'm hopeful that he won't and will use the spot on another position where more depth is premium.

The guy was drafted in the 5th round, that's pretty much roster spot worthy...so he got drafted right where he should've been. If drafted any earlier he'd all but be guaranteed a #2 backup QB spot. The guy was drafted right where he was rated, which pretty much guarantees him a 53 man roster spot, but a developmental role nonetheless.

My understanding is that the roster has been expanded to 54, but the extra player doesn't have to be a qb.

Almost correct.

Your roster can be 53 only. But out of the 53 guys, every week you designate a GAME DAY roster you plan to use on the upcoming game.

The game day roster is set at 45 guys out of your 53. The other 8 guys are inactive and are not on the sideline during the game. Prior to this year, your 46th guy was a 3rd string "emergency QB." I'll explain more here:

Until last year, you could carry 45 guys and ONE MORE QB that served as an emergency QB. However, if your starter is hurt and the 2nd QB gets hurt, and therefore you put the 3rd QB into the game prior to the 4th quarter, then neither the 1st QB nor the 2nd QB could re-enter the game. You'd have to stick out the game with your 3rd QB the whole way to the end of that game.

This year, with the new CBA deal, they removed the strict rules and said "Look, you can have 46 guys and that 46th guy can be whomever you want. Even if it's a 3rd QB, the old rules for him no longer apply."

Hope that makes sense.

The guy was drafted in the 5th round......that's almost roster spot worthy, so he got drafted right where he should've been. If drafted any earlier he'd all but guaranteed a #2 backup QB spot. The guy was drafted right where he needed to be, which pretty much guarantees him a 53 man roster spot.

I think you missed my point.

I'm not arguing against his draft position or saying he sucks.

What I'm saying is that if teams were that high in him to where they'd guarantee him a roster spot for some portion of the regular season, he'd have been drafted higher IMO.

I'm not even saying no one would grab him. What I'm saying is that I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that someone would. I think it's very likely that he would last on the ps all year.

I think that "risk" would be worth it to keep an extra db, lb, or rb.

Reactions: GP
I think you missed my point.

I'm not arguing against his draft position or saying he sucks.

What I'm saying is that if teams were that high in him to where they'd guarantee him a roster spot for some portion of the regular season, he'd have been drafted higher IMO.

I'm not even saying no one would grab him. What I'm saying is that I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that someone would. I think it's very likely that he would last on the ps all year.

I think that "risk" would be worth it to keep an extra db, lb, or rb.

Actually I think you missed my point. The majority of NFL teams keep 3 QBs and the majority of NFL teams don't draft their 3rd QB until after the 5th round. They tend to carry a 3rd QB on their roster. So T.J. Yates was not drafted higher than he should've been, because he's a 3rd string QB prospect. He went in a good spot and will be on this 53 man roster..despite even after being drafted in the 5th round, because that's where 3rd string QBs tend to go.

Actually I think you missed my point. The majority of NFL teams keep 3 QBs. and the majority of NFL teams don't draft their 3rd QB until after the 5th round.....and they carry a 3rd QB on their roster. So T.J. Yates was not drafted higher than he should've been. He went in a good spot and will be on this 53 man roster..despite even after being drafting in the 5th round, because that's where 3rd string QBs tend to go.

What are you talking about? I never said he was drafted higher than he should have been. I never even implied that.

And I disagree with your out of thin air take on where 3rd qb's normally go. Sounds like something you made up typing the post with nothing to back it up. I think most 5th round qb's end up cut and on practice squads.

And I have no idea how many qb's teams around the nfl normally carry. But I have seen a lot of good teams with upper tier qb's only carry two.

But it's pretty obvious you aren't reading my post, so this is a good stopping point for me.

It's a small sample but none of the teams the Texans played in the preseason would even think about snatching Yates. All of them already have 2nd string QBs.

Don't think you would waste a roster spot for a 3rd QB who didn't go to camp with you.

What are you talking about? I never said he was drafted higher than he should have been. I never even implied that.

LMAO and when did I ever say you did..

And I disagree with your out of thin air take on where 3rd qb's normally go. Sounds like something you made up typing the post with nothing to back it up.

LOL.... where do you think #3 QB are generally drafted at? :) Because whether you believe me or not, I guarantee you 3rd string QBs are generally drafted from the 5th round on...if you really want to get into the "research" aspect of this, you won't come out on the positive side of it. 3rd string QBs are low draft picks and I hate to break that to you, but the majority of teams in this league carry 3.

My two biggest impressions from this game are that Ponder has incredible pocket feel, much better feet than I thought (impressive game speed as well), and looks mature beyond his years...If he keeps developing, the Vikings have a quarterback of the future. I'm impressed.

Keo isn't an NFL player. I'd pass a hat around, send him to the store for some beer, then quickly load everyone on the plane and try to take off without him. Beyond disappointing, he was awful.

My two biggest impressions from this game are that Ponder has incredible pocket feel, much better feet than I thought (impressive game speed as well), and looks mature beyond his years...If he keeps developing, the Vikings have a quarterback of the future. I'm impressed.

Keo isn't an NFL player. I'd pass a hat around, send him to the store for some beer, then quickly load everyone on the plane and try to take off without him. Beyond disappointing, he was awful.

:spit: I have to agree with ya there Vinny.

I felt the same thing about Ponder. That kid is elusive. I don't know how fast he is off the field, but is game speed was really good. There were numerous times we had him and then he broke free and made a nice gain, I was impressed with him.

Yeah, I agree as well. I was texting a friend last night about him and his game, and he told me that it was vs. 2-3rd stringers.. I said it doesn't matter, he has good legs and is aware of what is happening around him.. Would he have been able to outrun Mario, that is if he ever got close to him, I don't know, but he does for sure have pocket presence !!

Ponder is smart and athletic . The only knock on him was he's had some injuries .

On a side note . Ponder is a Texas boy who went to FSU . You would think the UT or A&M ulumni could scrape up enough cash to keep him here .

Before everyone gets too impressed with Ponder (and I do admit, he did LOOK impressive), it may well be a good idea to review in comparison his stats in preseason games 2 and 3 against Seattle and Dallas. Somehow, his good play begins looking like more of an indictment of how badly the Texans 2nd, 3rd and beyond defensive players really played as a team. I watched the Dallas game last week. In context, he looked more like Yates did this week, rather than the Pro Bowl candidate playing against the Texans.

Pretty good summation. The only thing I disagree about with Ponder needs to learn to slide or get out of bounds. There were a few times he could have been really rocked had he played a hard hitting aggressive D like Blitzberg. The NFL is a rough game and if he continues to run like he did last night, he may not make it through many seasons.

Keo has looked pretty poor from the first preseaon game. He has looked poor as a Safety and on special teams. The idea was that he would need to be a dynamite ST player to make the team. I think he is cut. He has done zilch to impress anyone, so I think he finds his way onto the PS.

Another thing about Ponder’s “success.” It appeared as if the Texans D tried to focus their efforts in the middle, forgetting all about the concept of outside “containment.”

Keo has looked pretty poor from the first preseaon game. He has looked poor as a Safety and on special teams. The idea was that he would need to be a dynamite ST player to make the team. I think he is cut. He has done zilch to impress anyone, so I think he finds his way onto the PS.
Keo doesn't deserve a PS place imo, when he arrives he is a pitiful tackler. He was run over at the goal line once, completely missed the back another time at the goal line, and a friggin' fullback juked him in the open field for a big gain. CC Brown is ten times the player Keo is.

Another thing about Ponder’s “success.” It appeared as if the Texans D tried to focus their efforts in the middle, forgetting all about the concept of outside “containment.”
when the OLB's started to take better angles after Wade lit them up at halftime (you can plainly see Nading and the others set the edge better after the half), Ponder made the throws when he couldn't run. Bottom line is he didn't take the sack, negative play or get the ball knocked out like Yates (you can tell that Yates and Ponder are worlds apart as far as dealing with a NFL rush), or a lesser QB (Carr, Smith, etc.) The kid was very impressive.

Almost correct.

Your roster can be 53 only. But out of the 53 guys, every week you designate a GAME DAY roster you plan to use on the upcoming game.

The game day roster is set at 45 guys out of your 53. The other 8 guys are inactive and are not on the sideline during the game. Prior to this year, your 46th guy was a 3rd string "emergency QB." I'll explain more here:

Until last year, you could carry 45 guys and ONE MORE QB that served as an emergency QB. However, if your starter is hurt and the 2nd QB gets hurt, and therefore you put the 3rd QB into the game prior to the 4th quarter, then neither the 1st QB nor the 2nd QB could re-enter the game. You'd have to stick out the game with your 3rd QB the whole way to the end of that game.

This year, with the new CBA deal, they removed the strict rules and said "Look, you can have 46 guys and that 46th guy can be whomever you want. Even if it's a 3rd QB, the old rules for him no longer apply."

Hope that makes sense.
I'd like to add that my understanding is the 3rd QB (Yates) can come in, play and then be replaced by Schaub later. One of the NFL teams used up all QBs last season but under old rules could not bring back #1 or #2 who might have recovered from a stinger, or a tackle or
whatever.

Keo doesn't deserve a PS place imo, when he arrives he is a pitiful tackler. He was run over at the goal line once, completely missed the back another time at the goal line, and a friggin' fullback juked him in the open field for a big gain. CC Brown is ten times the player Keo is.

when the OLB's started to take better angles after Wade lit them up at halftime (you can plainly see Nading and the others set the edge better after the half), Ponder made the throws when he couldn't run. Bottom line is he didn't take the sack, negative play or get the ball knocked out like Yates (you can tell that Yates and Ponder are worlds apart as far as dealing with a NFL rush), or a lesser QB (Carr, Smith, etc.) The kid was very impressive.

No argument there.

Wonder what accounts for his passer rating against the Seattle (2nd game) and Dallas (3rd game) D being around 65 going to over 96 against our D. Still makes me wonder somehow.

Wonder what accounts for his passer rating against the Seattle (2nd game) and Dallas (3rd game) D being around 65 going to over 96 against our D. Still makes me wonder somehow.
Young, no camp. It's hard enough on the other rooks, but most of the skill guys depend on the QB to feed them the ball and know where they are going to be. Pretty tough learning curve. Ponder may not work out long term since this is just a snapshot, but I liked what I saw from a young qb. We never saw that kind of poise from you know who, so I won't say it.

I wasn't thrilled either, but I kept telling myself that this was the "Scrub Bowl", and we could expect much better from our starters...not only due to talent, but reps in the new system.

I'm rewatching the game right now. Will post observations as I see them. Ten mins left in the second quarter.

So far, dorin looks like he is scared to make a play. On the reverse they gave to him he looked like he was looking for contact. He has good speed but he looked tentative when defenders entered the picture.

Adibi and dobbins have looked about the same so far.

Tim bulman is having a good game. He has played quite a bit of nose and has done a good job.

The big white guy that was playing on the nose made a good play that the tv guys gave scooter berry for on the first or second drive for the vikes. Can't think of his name right now.

I remember why I disliked McCain so much last year. Lack of physicality. And I don't think he is so great at coverage that it makes up for it.

Ponder looks like he's on a different level than everyone else out there on the field. If mcnabb struggles, it's not going to be pretty for him.

So I just got back from vacation so I missed the game; I did see the final score. Now the game is on NFL Replay in about 10 minutes. Is it even worth watching??

So I just got back from vacation so I missed the game; I did see the final score. Now the game is on NFL Replay in about 10 minutes. Is it even worth watching??

I'm watching it now and it's cool to see the game from the Vikings broadcast. Getting to see a lot of things I didn't see before.

if you can't find a way to get to sleep.

Back