Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans "are interested in" rumors...

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
As we draw nearer the draft -- Thursday, April 26, 2012 ... ends Saturday, April 28, 2012 -- I'm finally beginning to pick up some chatter about who the Texans are looking at with their 26th pick...

Post any rumors here.

Stephanie Stradley ‏ @StephStradley Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Hm. RT @MJ4Sports: @RussLande is with us right now...hearing that Texans are interested in G Amini Silatolu from Midwestern State at 26

(Lande write for The Sporting News)

As we draw nearer the draft -- Thursday, April 26, 2012 ... ends Saturday, April 28, 2012 -- I'm finally beginning to pick up some chatter about who the Texans are looking at with their 26th pick...

Post any rumors here.

Hm. RT @MJ4Sports: @RussLande is with us right now...hearing that Texans are interested in G Amini Silatolu from Midwestern State at 26

Power blocker, slow feet. hmm.

Post any rumors here.

Geez...Hope that is not at 26...in the 2nd round maybe...after a couple trade downs...

I don't know if we pick an OG in the 1st, but if we did wouldn't that be a strong indicator that Caldwell is done for the Texans.

Here's a video of Silatolu. He's just mauling these poor kids.

He uses a club move that drops guys to the ground. Legal? I didn't flags. I wish he could have played in an all star game against the major college guys. You have to have a lot of faith in your scouting department to pull the trigger on Division II lineman in the 1st round.

it's a late first round. It's not like we are picking top 15. If he can come in and start right away it's well worth it.

You don't use a premium pick on a position thats easy to find contributors at. Texans could find potential impact players at WR, OLB, TE with the pick. The difference between a marginal player at guard and a Elite player is nothing.

You don't use a premium pick on a position thats easy to find contributors at. Texans could find potential impact players at WR, OLB, TE with the pick. The difference between a marginal player at guard and a Elite player is nothing.

Disagree with that. Elite interior linemen help the run game a lot especially against upper echelon d linemen and in short yardage.

They may not make as big of an impact as some other positions, but they still can make a big impact none the less.

Here's a video of Silatolu. He's just mauling these poor kids.
I don't think I've ever seen that many pancakes. I like the way he's a little bit pissed off all the time.

Considering our losses, I'm down with OL in 1st round and WR in 2nd or 3rd and/or 4th. I hate passing on McClellin, but news that he's already had 3 concussions is a bit concerning.

Disagree with that. Elite interior linemen help the run game a lot especially against upper echelon d linemen and in short yardage.

They may not make as big of an impact as some other positions, but they still can make a big impact none the less.

There have been several statistical analysis that prove the difference between Elite Guards and their replacements is minimal. Two of the best guards ever for the Texans have been cheap free agent pickups.

There have been several statistical analysis that prove the difference between Elite Guards and their replacements is minimal. Two of the best guards ever for the Texans have been cheap free agent pickups.

If that were the case no one would pay top tier guards and they'd all go late like kickers and full backs.

I hear what you're saying but I disagree that top tier or elite guards don't make huge impacts.

I would not trade up for any of these guards, but i would take one in the first or second if they are bpa.

If that were the case no one would pay top tier guards and they'd all go late like kickers and full backs.

I hear what you're saying but I disagree that top tier or elite guards don't make huge impacts.

I would not trade up for any of these guards, but i would take one in the first or second if they are bpa.

The stats show other wise, and its the reason GM's don't draft guards often in the 1st round. Both starting guards last year were excellent and they were brought in for cheap. If your theory is true then who are the Elite Guards that were drafted in the last 5 years that made such an impact?

The stats show other wise, and its the reason GM's don't draft guards often in the 1st round. Both starting guards last year were excellent and they were brought in for cheap. If your theory is true then who are the Elite Guards that were drafted in the last 5 years that made such an impact?

I didn't say you have to draft guards in the first round to find elite ones or very good ones. That is you making an assumption.

What I said is that Elite or very good guards make a significant impact on the teams they are on. I didn't specify where they have to come from.

If a team feels they have the opportunity at a top tier or possibly elite guard in the first round you take him.

And I don't care what "the stats say".

And I'm not sure what your point is with the last 5 years comment.

Where are all the elite anything that was drafted in the last five years? There aren't very many "elite" players to begin with. That's what makes them elite.

I smell a smokescreen

Could be.

Maybe they are trying to keep a team from trading ahead of them and taking the guy they really want.

Avoid all eye contact and smiles and no one will know your secret crush. Throwing out someone elses name could help with that.

I didn't say you have to draft guards in the first round to find elite ones or very good ones. That is you making an assumption.

What I said is that Elite or very good guards make a significant impact on the teams they are on. I didn't specify where they have to come from.

If a team feels they have the opportunity at a top tier or possibly elite guard in the first round you take him.

And I don't care what "the stats say".

And I'm not sure what your point is with the last 5 years comment.

Where are all the elite anything that was drafted in the last five years? There aren't very many "elite" players to begin with. That's what makes them elite.

My point is that you don't use a Premium pick on a low impact position. If the guard position is such a huge impact position and so important then GM's would place a high value on it and you would see more teams pick a guard in the 1st round. They don't because they know they can find someone of equal talent in free agency, or later in the draft.

Why waste a first round pick on a Guard when the Texans have found two excellent ones using very little resources? Its all about using your resources in the most efficient manor.

Danny Watkins, Ben Grubbs and Davin Joseph have were all 1st round picks and neither of them were as good as Mike Brisel, Wade Smith or countless others.

My point is that you don't use a Premium pick on a low impact position. If the guard position is such a huge impact position and so important then GM's would place a high value on it and you would see more teams pick a guard in the 1st round. They don't because they know they can find someone of equal talent in free agency, or later in the draft.

Why waste a first round pick on a Guard when the Texans have found two excellent ones using very little resources? Its all about using your resources in the most efficient manor.

Danny Watkins, Ben Grubbs and Davin Joseph have were all 1st round picks and neither of them were as good as Mike Brisel, Wade Smith or countless others.

end of 1st rd. is where Superbowl winners & contenders build their OL's, it's a proven recipe for success.

....Ben Grubbs and Davin Joseph have were all 1st round picks and neither of them were as good as Mike Brisel, Wade Smith or countless others.
I don't think you would get any of the 32 NFL teams to agree with your assessment. Look at the contracts they received in free agency (Joseph $19 million guaranteed, Grubbs $16 million guaranteed).

And do we know for a fact that Silatolu is being looked at as a Guard? He's only played LT and he could be viewed as a RT by the Texans. PFW has given Silatolu a 6.15 rating (top 20 in the draft), the same as Georgia OT/OG Cordy Glenn. I don't think he's the reach most here think he is.

You are acting like guards are treated like kickers and full backs.

Never being picked in the first round is not the same as not as often.

My point stands. Guards are picked in the first round fairly regularly and beyond that you can look at the free agent contracts they receive to realize that teams aren't just getting their guards off the scrap heap. Yes brisel was not a highly rated player, but neither was foster. I think the fact that you keep bringing that back up just shows you are missing my point.

I'm not saying that you HAVE to spend a first to find good guards. What I'm saying is that dominant guards are big assets to teams and they are big enough assets to take in the first round if you deem the guy to be good enough.

Mike Munchak disagrees.

Tell it to the draftniks at Rotoworld, who are mocking Silatolu to Detroit @23: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1939100#post1939100.

Charlie Casserly, Mike lombardi, Brian Billick, Mike Mayock and Mike tomlin have all said the same thing I've been saying. Guards are no longer a top priority to teams. The way the NFL is changing you have to use premium resources on tackles and centers but guards you can find them much easier and without using top resources.

Statistically, its been shown that the difference between Elite guards and their replacements has been minimal. So why use your top pick on a player who will only be a slight upgrade over anyone else?

Under Kubiak the Texans have shown the ability to use limited resources and produce good interior linemen. Because of this they've been able to use premium picks on impact positions. Tackle, DE, OLB, etc.

All i'm saying is that the Texans need to use their resources in the best way possible and I don't believe taking a guard in the 1st is doing that.

You are acting like guards are treated like kickers and full backs.

Never being picked in the first round is not the same as not as often.

My point stands. Guards are picked in the first round fairly regularly and beyond that you can look at the free agent contracts they receive to realize that teams aren't just getting their guards off the scrap heap. Yes brisel was not a highly rated player, but neither was foster. I think the fact that you keep bringing that back up just shows you are missing my point.

I'm not saying that you HAVE to spend a first to find good guards. What I'm saying is that dominant guards are big assets to teams and they are big enough assets to take in the first round if you deem the guy to be good enough.

Point taken, I just want us to use our first rounder on a more impact position.

Charlie Casserly, Mike lombardi, Brian Billick, Mike Mayock and Mike tomlin have all said the same thing I've been saying. Guards are no longer a top priority to teams.
Good. Then hopefully Stanford's Dave DeCastro G falls to us at 26, although Casserly has him mocked at 21 (first round).

I don't know if we pick an OG in the 1st, but if we did wouldn't that be a strong indicator that Caldwell is done for the Texans.
And that's exactly why we won't pick a guard in the first round, because the
guy who's "job it is to lose" the starting RG spot is a third-round pick with some starting experience and and a guy who was in a healthy competition with Breisel in 2010 for that job until he (Caldwell) had high-ankle issues. Our other guard is another NFL vet who we payed very highly for in FA a couple years ago.
Zone-Blocking teams in general and specifically the Texans don't use high-draft picks on guards or centers. There is no way we draft a guard with our top pick, even if WR and rush-LB wern't more critical needs right now, which they most certainly are.
Wake up people, the highest pick we'd use on a guard would maybe be a third-rounder.

I think the Cowboys (Larry Allen) would disagree with you as would the Seahawks (Steve Hutchinson). I'm sure Emmitt Smith and Shaun Alexander would also have a thing or two to say.

I think the Cowboys (Larry Allen) would disagree with you as would the Seahawks (Steve Hutchinson). I'm sure Emmitt Smith and Shaun Alexander would also have a thing or two to say.

The article and "stats" that I mentioned were in regards to Steve Hutchinson and the minimal difference between him and his replacement.

Yes, I'm sure Shaun Alexanders had nothing to do with him being over 30 and breaking his foot walking...:spin:

the Texans HAVE NEVER drafted a first round player that they brought in for a workout or spent extra time with, this is nothing but a rumor

Also, he is not a first round talent, he would be lucky to be drafted in round 2.....so if we trade back out of round 2 and grab him high in round 3, then MAYBE I would be ok with it, but I doubt we draft him, just kicking the tires....

the Texans HAVE NEVER drafted a first round player that they brought in for a workout or spent extra time with, this is nothing but a rumor
The Texans brought in Mario for an interview prior to the draft. Besides, this is about a rumored interest, not a workout. Furthermore, teams cannot bring in prospects for workouts. They can schedule a workout at the prospect's college, or near his hometown.

Also, he is not a first round talent, he would be lucky to be drafted in round 2.....
Silatolu has been linked to several teams drafting in the bottom third of the first round. Lions, Patriots, and Niners (besides the Texans). Pro Football Weekly has him ranked in their top 20. It would surprise few if Silatolu were drafted in the 1st round.

...It would surprise few if Silatolu were drafted in the 1st round.
Yep. Early mocks tend to discount Offensive Linemen every year, but they start to creep into the first round as draft day approaches. I think we saw 3 OL in early mocks, and I'm looking for 6-7 to go in the first round this year.

And that's exactly why we won't pick a guard in the first round, because the
guy who's "job it is to lose" the starting RG spot is a third-round pick with some starting experience and and a guy who was in a healthy competition with Breisel in 2010 for that job until he (Caldwell) had high-ankle issues. Our other guard is another NFL vet who we payed very highly for in FA a couple years ago.
Zone-Blocking teams in general and specifically the Texans don't use high-draft picks on guards or centers. There is no way we draft a guard with our top pick, even if WR and rush-LB wern't more critical needs right now, which they most certainly are.
Wake up people, the highest pick we'd use on a guard would maybe be a third-rounder.

Wake up yourself. Soli is a LT projected to OG in the NFL. Duane Brown was a LT projected to play OG in the NFL.

Caldwell is injured a lot and sucks. He should of never been drafted for this scheme. Did you watch him last year when Briesel went out? Must not of if you are ok with him protecting our fragile QB and opening holes for Foster.

Wake up yourself. Soli is a LT projected to OG in the NFL. Duane Brown was a LT projected to play OG in the NFL.

Caldwell is injured a lot and sucks. He should of never been drafted for this scheme. Did you watch him last year when Briesel went out? Must not of if you are ok with him protecting our fragile QB and opening holes for Foster.
Duane Brown was the hand-picked choice of ZBS guru Alex Gibbs to be the Texans' LT, and it's the only position he was "projected" to play for the Texans and it's the only position he has in fact played here, except that he did share some reps early on in his career with vet Ephraim Salaam. But Brown was an extremely athletic, converted TE who also had very good "length", something that Solit doesn't have which is a major reason he's expected to play inside in the NFL. And in addition Soli, unlike Brown, played no significant competition since he was at unheard of Midwestern State, which incidentally is actually in the state of Texas.
Except for Brown, the Texans have never drafted an OLineman higher than the 3rd round during the Smith/Kubiak regime, and don't look for them to do it this year either unless they do surprise us with the pick of a tackle who would actually play tackle like perhaps Stanfords Jonathon Martin. If I'm wrong I'll return to this thread to admit it, but if I'm right, well expect me to be doing some gloating later next week.
But I do admit to being curious about this kid out of Midwestern State, where he goes, and how highly he's drafted ? Some teams do place a very high value on interior offensive lineman, but just not the Texans.

But Brown was an extremely athletic, converted TE who also had very good "length", something that Solit doesn't have which is a major reason he's expected to play inside in the NFL.
There's a 1/2" difference between Brown (6'4-1/8") and Silatolu (6'3-5/8").

Ya'll know, I feel I have had a good feel on who the Texans would target in the first two rounds of the draft just about every year, ( missed badly on the watt pick though ). but this year seems extra tough, Even if I am sure they go WR in first I have no clue which one even if all the good ones fall to us. Is Wright even on their board due to his size? This is going to be a fun draft to watch this year, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the first round pick I say who, and start the google keys to look him up. One thing for sure I won't question the picks, with the two coaches track record we can't miss. Looking forward to end of week.

There's a 1/2" difference between Brown (6'4-1/8") and Silatolu (6'3-5/8").
• Doesn't have the preferred arm length (32-inches)
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OG/Amini-Silatolu.php
Actually length refers more to arm-length than height in this context.
Some OLinemen can overcome relatively short arm-length and make it in the NFL as OTs, sometimes even left tackles, but it's thought to be a definite handicap when being out on an island one-on-one vs a speed rusher.

Games are won and lost at the line. I have no problem taking linemen (of any flavor) in the first round.

Duane Brown was the hand-picked choice of ZBS guru Alex Gibbs to be the Texans' LT...
"Hand picked", perhaps, but Brown was also that last OT left on the board -- we were holding our breath. Texans would have taken Long, Clady, Williams, Albert, and maybe Otah ahead of Brown if offered the chance. Gibbs was asked for and gave his opinion that Brown could get it done in the ZBS.

Understand that the outsized importance of LTs has gone away in this current NFL. Deep drops and long developing routes w/QB in pocket are uncommon now.

Understand that the outsized importance of LTs has gone away in this current NFL.
I would argue that they're more important and more valuable than ever. If you doubt that, then just watch and see the kind of contract the Texans offer Duane in coming months.

Duane Brown was the hand-picked choice of ZBS guru Alex Gibbs to be the Texans' LT, and it's the only position he was "projected" to play for the Texans and it's the only position he has in fact played here, except that he did share some reps early on in his career with vet Ephraim Salaam. But Brown was an extremely athletic, converted TE who also had very good "length", something that Solit doesn't have which is a major reason he's expected to play inside in the NFL. And in addition Soli, unlike Brown, played no significant competition since he was at unheard of Midwestern State, which incidentally is actually in the state of Texas.
Except for Brown, the Texans have never drafted an OLineman higher than the 3rd round during the Smith/Kubiak regime, and don't look for them to do it this year either unless they do surprise us with the pick of a tackle who would actually play tackle like perhaps Stanfords Jonathon Martin. If I'm wrong I'll return to this thread to admit it, but if I'm right, well expect me to be doing some gloating later next week.
But I do admit to being curious about this kid out of Midwestern State, where he goes, and how highly he's drafted ? Some teams do place a very high value on interior offensive lineman, but just not the Texans.

Brown was widely considered a player that would have to move inside by most draft experts just like Silatolu. Just like in the case of Brown the Texans may consider him a T prospect. Also the reason he is projected to move inside has nothing to do with his athleticism. His scouting report is that he is VERY athletic. The reason people say he needs to move inside is because of his lack of experience going against top competition.

You can gloat all you want but why? What is it exactly you will be gloating about? No one is saying he is defiantly the pick. No one that I have seen anyway. My response was that you are wrong about WR and OLB being our TOP PRIORITY'S in this draft. Which you are dead wrong about regardless of who we draft.

• Doesn't have the preferred arm length (32-inches)
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OG/Amini-Silatolu.php
Actually length refers more to arm-length than height in this context.
Some OLinemen can overcome relatively short arm-length and make it in the NFL as OTs, sometimes even left tackles, but it's thought to be a definite handicap when being out on an island one-on-one vs a speed rusher.

They are wrong. His arm length is 33. Still not what you would want in an OT but still wrong.

I just watched some of Silatolu...

I think he can play Tackle in the NFL because of 1) his strength and 2) he has incredible feet

I've mocked Zeitler to us in the first round, but I can get on board with a Silatolu pick. He is not as sound technique wise as Zeitler, but he is the superior athlete, no doubt.

I could care less about him rag dolling all those players (although that is somewhat impressive), but if you look at his feet and his agility it's what sold me on him. His feet are amazing....

I think technique wise he leans too much at times in pass pro and that is probably because he doesn't have the longest arms, but I think that is correctable. I think as a guard though, he could come in and take a starting spot from day 1. As a RT, I think he'd have a bit of a learning curnve and I think Butler would still be the starter for this upcoming season at least....(But at the same time I can't say I'd be completely shocked if Silatolu came in and started there either)

So yeah...Add Silatolu to the list of guys I'd be pumped about us taking.

I just watched some of Silatolu...

I think he can play Tackle in the NFL because of 1) his strength and 2) he has incredible feet
And that would be based upon tape you saw where he dominated some stiff from Tarleton State or maybe Angelo State ? Or perhaps it was some Dlineman he blew up who was playing on that perennial gridiron powerhouse, Incarnate Word ? In case you don't recognize all of those names, that's a few of the schools that were on Midwestern State 2011 football schedule.

"Several sources" tell SI's Tony Pauline that the Texans are seriously considering drafting Stanford TE Coby Fleener with the 26th overall pick.

Pauline also reports that "the other team showing a lot of interest" in Fleener is the 49ers, who draft 30th. Fleener would give Houston an upgrade on Joel Dreessen as a No. 2 tight end. He'd do the same over Delanie Walker in San Francisco, although Walker is a far superior blocker. Fleener doesn't block. Apr 23 - 11:35 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7418/coby-fleener

Back