Texans "are interested in" rumors...

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Playoffs, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

As we draw nearer the draft -- Thursday, April 26, 2012 ... ends Saturday, April 28, 2012 -- I'm finally beginning to pick up some chatter about who the Texans are looking at with their 26th pick...

Post any rumors here.

Stephanie Stradley ‏ @StephStradley Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Hm. RT @MJ4Sports: @RussLande is with us right now...hearing that Texans are interested in G Amini Silatolu from Midwestern State at 26

(Lande write for The Sporting News)

2. Section516

Section516 Warrior

Power blocker, slow feet. hmm.

3. Playoffs

Silatolu really looked the part at The Combine ... I was impressed. Didn't know if he was a ZBS candidate, was all.

4. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Geez...Hope that is not at 26...in the 2nd round maybe...after a couple trade downs...

5. VTexan

VTexan The Realist

Splash!!

6. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

A guard with a 1st round pick... Stupid:kubepalm:

7. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

it's a late first round. It's not like we are picking top 15. If he can come in and start right away it's well worth it.

8. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I don't know if we pick an OG in the 1st, but if we did wouldn't that be a strong indicator that Caldwell is done for the Texans.

9. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    That's a terrible smoke screen, even for the Texans...

10. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

They were looking at j.martin OT as well so who knows. Our texans love suprising us

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Here's a video of Silatolu. He's just mauling these poor kids.

He uses a club move that drops guys to the ground. Legal? I didn't flags. I wish he could have played in an all star game against the major college guys. You have to have a lot of faith in your scouting department to pull the trigger on Division II lineman in the 1st round.

12. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

You don't use a premium pick on a position thats easy to find contributors at. Texans could find potential impact players at WR, OLB, TE with the pick. The difference between a marginal player at guard and a Elite player is nothing.

13. Rey

Rey Guest

Disagree with that. Elite interior linemen help the run game a lot especially against upper echelon d linemen and in short yardage.

They may not make as big of an impact as some other positions, but they still can make a big impact none the less.

14. Playoffs

I don't think I've ever seen that many pancakes. I like the way he's a little bit pissed off all the time.

Considering our losses, I'm down with OL in 1st round and WR in 2nd or 3rd and/or 4th. I hate passing on McClellin, but news that he's already had 3 concussions is a bit concerning.

15. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

There have been several statistical analysis that prove the difference between Elite Guards and their replacements is minimal. Two of the best guards ever for the Texans have been cheap free agent pickups.

16. Rey

Rey Guest

If that were the case no one would pay top tier guards and they'd all go late like kickers and full backs.

I hear what you're saying but I disagree that top tier or elite guards don't make huge impacts.

I would not trade up for any of these guards, but i would take one in the first or second if they are bpa.

17. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

The stats show other wise, and its the reason GM's don't draft guards often in the 1st round. Both starting guards last year were excellent and they were brought in for cheap. If your theory is true then who are the Elite Guards that were drafted in the last 5 years that made such an impact?

18. Rey

Rey Guest

I didn't say you have to draft guards in the first round to find elite ones or very good ones. That is you making an assumption.

What I said is that Elite or very good guards make a significant impact on the teams they are on. I didn't specify where they have to come from.

If a team feels they have the opportunity at a top tier or possibly elite guard in the first round you take him.

And I don't care what "the stats say".

And I'm not sure what your point is with the last 5 years comment.

Where are all the elite anything that was drafted in the last five years? There aren't very many "elite" players to begin with. That's what makes them elite.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I smell a smokescreen

20. Rey

Rey Guest

Could be.

Maybe they are trying to keep a team from trading ahead of them and taking the guy they really want.

Avoid all eye contact and smiles and no one will know your secret crush. Throwing out someone elses name could help with that.