Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 2015 Free Agency

no. what is douchey is the presumption that they would give freaking brian hoyer a car for nothing in return.

It seems like the only issue you're taking is it's Brian Hoyer. Are you sure that Hoyer would have done nothing in return? Maybe there was a promotional or commercial opportunity for that Audi dealership that they passed up. They could have ended up the official car of Brian Hoyer, who could possibly be the starting QB of the Texans this year. :kitten:

apparently one of the first things hoyer's agent did once hoyer was signed was walk into an audi dealership around town and ask if they would like to provide hoyer a car for the year for free.

secondhand story from another website but thought it was pretty hilarious. and douchey.

Agent is doing his job. Finding endorsement deals. I've got no problem with it. Now I'd be surprised if he found one easily at this point in time. But if he becomes the starter, then the price goes up.

@willcolon66 said @HoustonTexans showed interest in signing him as UFA but he wanted to stay with @nyjets

RS: Hello, is Nick there?

WC: No, this is Willie.

RS: Is this extension #74?

WC: No this is #66.

RS: Oh, hi Willie. Can you put Nick on the phone, please?

WC: He's under contract, but I'm... *click* ... Hello? Hell-ooo???

:kitten:

PFT's All Unemployed Team

Players I would like the Texans to kick the tires on:

Ahmad Bradshaw RB
Joe Barksdale OT
Byron Bell OT
Brandon Spikes ILB - yeah I know he is a run stuffer only

Looking at Bradshaw's history, I'd be hesitant to kick any of his "tires" too hard.

2014 Ankle fracture of the left fibula/ankle in week 11 and missing the rest of the season, decision to treat with walking boot without surgery.

2014 Ankle sprained left ankle in a boot week 4

2013 Neck herniated a vertebra in his neck in his week 3 game against the 49ers. He was placed on IR and underwent cervical fusion surgery missing the rest of the season.

2012 Foot missed practices due to a surgery he had to replace a screw on his right foot with larger one.

2012 Knee has a sprained left knee. He left the game

2012 Foot right foot Injury he suffered from a game against 49ers was considered to be minor but he missed several practices per week from now to early December.

2012 Neck left the game with an injury to his neck. He had to miss the next game.

2012 Hand suffered a popped cyst on the top of his right hand. He left the game against New York Jets and missed the remaining 3 preseason games.

2011 Foot had a surgery to transplant the bone marrow from hip to foot in an effort to promote new bone growth for non union of his Jones fracture. He will need 3 months to recover.

2011 Foot re-aggravated his right foot in a game against Miami Dolphins and lost 4 games.

2011 Foot has a cracked bone in his foot, he broke his fifth metatarsal (Jones fracture)

2010 Ankle underwent surgery on 12th Feb to clean out his left ankle.

2010 Ankle suffered an injured ankle and left the game against Chicago Bears but soon returned.

2009 Ankle injured in OT (Overtime) and did not return. Later he missed the next game due to this injury as well as right foot fracture (Jones fracture).

2009 Foot had surgery to stabilize both feet by inserting screws, after developing a crack in the fifth metatarsal bone of both feet (Jones fractures) during the Tampa Bay game.

2009 Ankle against Tampa Bay Buccaneers turned out to be a high ankle and low ankle chronic sprain. He underwent Surgery in Jan 2010 to clean out the ankle.

2009 Ankle right Ankle injury which was sustained on 30th Sep.

2008 Neck Injured his neck and had to leave the game

2007 Calf Missed several practices with a calf injury

2004 Ankle playing college ball, sprained his ankle in a game against Ohio State Buckeyes and missed three games more this season.

Looking at Bradshaw's history, I'd be hesitant to kick any of his "tires" too hard.

That would concern me if I was looking for a starter. I'm not. I'm looking for the 169 relief carries Blue got last year to be at Bradshaw's 4.6 ypc instead of Blue's 3.1 ypc plus his receiving threat.

I can't believe Barksdale hasn't been signed yet. His asking price must be high but I figured somebody would pay it.

2014 Ankle fracture of the left fibula/ankle in week 11 and missing the rest of the season, decision to treat with walking boot without surgery.

2014 Ankle sprained left ankle in a boot week 4

2013 Neck herniated a vertebra in his neck in his week 3 game against the 49ers. He was placed on IR and underwent cervical fusion surgery missing the rest of the season.

2012 Foot missed practices due to a surgery he had to replace a screw on his right foot with larger one.

2012 Knee has a sprained left knee. He left the game

2012 Foot right foot Injury he suffered from a game against 49ers was considered to be minor but he missed several practices per week from now to early December.

2012 Neck left the game with an injury to his neck. He had to miss the next game.

2012 Hand suffered a popped cyst on the top of his right hand. He left the game against New York Jets and missed the remaining 3 preseason games.

2011 Foot had a surgery to transplant the bone marrow from hip to foot in an effort to promote new bone growth for non union of his Jones fracture. He will need 3 months to recover.

2011 Foot re-aggravated his right foot in a game against Miami Dolphins and lost 4 games.

2011 Foot has a cracked bone in his foot, he broke his fifth metatarsal (Jones fracture)

2010 Ankle underwent surgery on 12th Feb to clean out his left ankle.

2010 Ankle suffered an injured ankle and left the game against Chicago Bears but soon returned.

2009 Ankle injured in OT (Overtime) and did not return. Later he missed the next game due to this injury as well as right foot fracture (Jones fracture).

2009 Foot had surgery to stabilize both feet by inserting screws, after developing a crack in the fifth metatarsal bone of both feet (Jones fractures) during the Tampa Bay game.

2009 Ankle against Tampa Bay Buccaneers turned out to be a high ankle and low ankle chronic sprain. He underwent Surgery in Jan 2010 to clean out the ankle.

2009 Ankle right Ankle injury which was sustained on 30th Sep.

2008 Neck Injured his neck and had to leave the game

2007 Calf Missed several practices with a calf injury

2004 Ankle playing college ball, sprained his ankle in a game against Ohio State Buckeyes and missed three games more this season.
Wow! A litany of injuries almost as long as Brian ("Brain") Cushing's

For trying to leverage perfectly plausible money from their jobs?

For having opinons that are over inflated for the marketplace or they'd be employed... not one of them is "over qualified"

Do you really think no one has tried to negotiate if their stance was reasonable?

Last I heard Wis what's his name wanted something like 6-8 million? Coming off injury?

Is Wes Welker done? Im a little surprised that the Texans didnt kick the tires on him.

Is Wes Welker done? Im a little surprised that the Texans didnt kick the tires on him.

Welker's name was kicked around in other threads and the concensus was that he's lost a step, had too many concussions, and would be too expensive (last contract with Broncos was $6M).

Steadily declining production over the past 4 years despite having HOF QBs throwing at him.

I see a guy like Wis getting blasted for his assumed negotiating position at the same time as derided for picking up injuries. Maybe it isn't necessarily so pig-headed on his front, if you are already a millionaire, pretty well set for life, does there not come w point where you are entitled to say, I'm not going through all the pain, pushing my body to the limit with the possibility of pushing it beyond the limit and hurting myself for life, for any less than $X otherwise the risk-benefit doesn't add up for me.

Is it simply that as fans we feel a bit cheated? Or is it that from our paupers' perspective we can't empathise with someone much better off than ourselves being in a position to turn down $2MM per year because it's not enough?

At this point I don't think there is a market for Welker. With head injuries being highlighted in the media right now, no team wants to be the one to put a player in the morgue.

For having opinons that are over inflated for the marketplace or they'd be employed... not one of them is "over qualified"

Do you really think no one has tried to negotiate if their stance was reasonable?

Last I heard Wis what's his name wanted something like 6-8 million? Coming off injury?
This little scrap is the first thing I've seen about Wisnewski's status as a possible Texan. Thanks for this, at least.

Last edited:
Steadily declining production over the past 4 years despite having HOF QBs throwing at him.

I see a guy like Wis getting blasted for his assumed negotiating position at the same time as derided for picking up injuries. Maybe it isn't necessarily so pig-headed on his front, if you are already a millionaire, pretty well set for life, does there not come w point where you are entitled to say, I'm not going through all the pain, pushing my body to the limit with the possibility of pushing it beyond the limit and hurting myself for life, for any less than $X otherwise the risk-benefit doesn't add up for me.

Is it simply that as fans we feel a bit cheated? Or is it that from our paupers' perspective we can't empathise with someone much better off than ourselves being in a position to turn down $2MM per year because it's not enough?
Responding to your last sentence only, I don't feel cheated or have any issue with athlete or performer making tons more than I. I think most here on MB, have a general range of what the going market is or what should be paid to a player. I do look with an arched eyebrow at those demanding way above what any team is willing to pay.

Here.

Very interested as to how people come to take the side of the collusive billionnaires over the ill-advised millionaires.

I'm just giving a different POV here, maybe a guy like Wis thinks 'I'm only willing to carry on for $6-8 MM per year' whether the market is there or not, whilst a guy like Willis might simply pack it in at any price. Total speculation I know, they're probably all just money grabbing bastards, just like the rest of us.

Of course there could be another possibility that the dude is physically done but holding out for a contract and the teams can see that he isn't going to play.

Here.

Very interested as to how people come to take the side of the collusive billionnaires over the ill-advised millionaires.

I'm just giving a different POV here, maybe a guy like Wis thinks 'I'm only willing to carry on for $6-8 MM per year' whether the market is there or not, whilst a guy like Willis might simply pack it in at any price. Total speculation I know, they're probably all just money grabbing bastards, just like the rest of us.

Of course there could be another possibility that the dude is physically done but holding out for a contract and the teams can see that he isn't going to play.

I was talking about the center Wisnewski (or however you spell it). He's asking way over market value for a Center with his resume and is coming off (shoulder?) injury. If he was asking for a fair deal he'd be working, unless the injury was much worse than thought. Seems you are talking about Wes Welker which is another thing entirely. And I was replying to a post about why they are still un employed. If you see that as (taking side of) collusive billionaires I don't know what to tell you.

Blasted and derided? Really? And you responded to a post about welker and then think my comment about Wisnewski was related? I don't get it but lmao!

Responding to your last sentence only, I don't feel cheated or have any issue with athlete or performer making tons more than I. I think most here on MB, have a general range of what the going market is or what should be paid to a player. I do look with an arched eyebrow at those demanding way above what any team is willing to pay.

I have no issue with players making what they can. As a fan, though, I prefer players on my team who are less concerned with getting full market value for their services (and more concerned with winning.. or existing relationships with players/coaches.. or family stability), because those players create a competitive advantage for their team.

I have no issue with players making what they can. As a fan, though, I prefer players on my team who are less concerned with getting full market value for their services (and more concerned with winning.. or existing relationships with players/coaches.. or family stability), because those players create a competitive advantage for their team.

Barring overt evidence such as comments or sleeping in meetings or hitting the bars until 2-3 am before a game, how do you know how concerned a player is about winning?

Here.

They didn't get to be billionaires by simply giving anything asked. They determined a market and gave what was optimal for their situation. Sometimes that was market, sometimes above, sometimes below. But never what was simply asked unless it was at or below what they thought was optimal for them.

Simply saying any billionaire (or anyone else for that matter) should pay, just because they are able to is envy, not fairness. Sometimes people lose sight of that.

I was talking about the center Wisnewski (or however you spell it). He's asking way over market value for a Center with his resume and is coming off (shoulder?) injury. If he was asking for a fair deal he'd be working, unless the injury was much worse than thought. Seems you are talking about Wes Welker which is another thing entirely. And I was replying to a post about why they are still un employed. If you see that as (taking side of) collusive billionaires I don't know what to tell you.

Sorry, I was referring to Wisniewski as 'wis' as I couldn't be bothered typing his full name. Just wondering if there's more to the story, I agree there's a huge possibility that the injury is much worse than thought and that's the reason he can't get a deal.

Think that's far more likely than the idea that he's too far apart in market perception as it must have become fairly obvious by now, when it's just him and Vince Young left looking for a contract.

I really liked the idea of getting Wisniewski until Ray-O-Sunshine (aka CloakNDagger, aka Doc Jean) laid down the boom on his injury status.

Now, I think he's pricing himself out of the market and his injury might even be worse than let on.

Barring overt evidence such as comments or sleeping in meetings or hitting the bars until 2-3 am before a game, how do you know how concerned a player is about winning?

I believe what he means is that a player who has placed a higher value on things like stability and community within his core relationships over the absolute top dollar. This willingness to take less money has an alternative value. The team has more options and in turn, more chances to win. If you like winning. Playing for a team that has a better chance to win will make you enjoy something that you... enjoy. Winning.

I believe what he means is that a player who has placed a higher value on things like stability and community within his core relationships over the absolute top dollar. This willingness to take less money has an alternative value. The team has more options and in turn, more chances to win. If you like winning. Playing for a team that has a better chance to win will make you enjoy something that you... enjoy. Winning.

True. Another way to put it is that a Great TEAM is more than just a collection of great individual talent. This suggests why.

I am suggesting that players who agree to less than their market value to play for their team are more valuable under a salary cap system.

SOTT Report: Texans Missed Out on John Moffitt

The Houston Texans recently missed out on helping their offensive line depth, according to Eliot Shorr-Parks of Philadelphia Eagles Reporter for NJ Advance Media. (NJ.com) The Texans were in the running for recently un-retired offensive lineman John Moffitt, who ended up signing with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Moffitt signed a 1yr, league minimum deal w/#Eagles. No guaranteed $$. Had offers from others (HOU) with guaranteed $$, but picked Philly
— Eliot Shorr-Parks (@EliotShorrParks) June 29, 2015​

According to Shorr-Parks, the Texans offered guaranteed money to Moffitt, but Moffitt accepted a one-year deal with the Eagles with no guaranteed money. The kicker in Moffit turning down the Texans deal was that he had a chance to start with the Eagles while with the Texans, it would have been a depth move for the season.

Moffitt was drafted in 2011 in the 3rd round by the Seattle Seahawks and was traded to the Denver Broncos in 2013. At the start of the 2013 season, Moffitt retired from the game stating he was unhappy and did not want to risk his health for money.

The Texans pursuing Moffitt shows the team is actively working to sign offensive line depth.​

I was interested in signing him when he announced coming out of retirement. Glad to see Houston made a run at him despite the background of the player.

Even if you want to see the Texans go after players with a little jaded background here and there, I'm not really following the Texans reasoning for having offered Moffitt any contract, let alone a guaranteed contract however small.

In only just over 2 years in the league, having played in only 19 games in total.............he managed to undergo surgery after blowing out his left knee, undergo elbow surgery for ligament and cartilage damage, sustain significant injuries to both shoulders, sustain several concussions, and develop back problems.

On a personal basis, he was suspended without pay for the last 4 games of his 2011 rookie year for the final four games of the season for a violation of the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. Of course, this did not affect his playing time, since it conveniently coincided the time he was IR'ed for his knee surgery. It was later revealed that the substance was nonprescribed Adderall, which he claimed he needed to control his ADHD. A later report implied he actually was dealing with bipolar disorder.

Moffitt was reportedly seen by a security guard urinating on the skybridge between the Bellevue Square and Lincoln Square malls in Washington state in January 2012. He was given a one-year ban from the mall, but returned five months later to urinate next to a parked car and run away from mall security. In August 2012, Moffitt was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of criminal trespass when he was seen at a restaurant in Lincoln Square, although he managed to avoid publicly urinating before the arrest. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct and received a suspended sentence of 24 months in jail.

If that's not enough, here is a little publicized incident involving Moffitt in March 2014.:

He left the NFL in November [2013].

Moffitt was at The Underground nightclub in the 0-100 block of West Illinois Street [Chicago] early Sunday when a man questioned him about selling drugs in the club, according to Cook County court records.

Moffitt then “became combative” and struck the man in the head, according to court records.

The head blow did not require hospitalization, court records state.

Moffitt, whose home address is listed in court records as Renton, Wash., was searched and found with 10 grams of cannabis, four ecstasy pills and one gram of cocaine, according to court records.

He was charged with possession of a controlled substance and possession of between 15 and 100 grams of ecstasy, both felony charges.

Moffitt also faces misdemeanor battery and cannabis possession charges, court records state.

He was ordered released on his own recognizance Sunday at Cook County Bond Court.

Texans "missed out" on Moffitt???? I don't think so. But I certainly would like to know who decided to "ease into" starting to add in some "bad boy" element into the Texans by adding a player that you can hardly find a part of him that is not entirely covered with warts.

Last edited:
Texans "missed out" on Moffitt???? I don't think so. But I certainly would like to know who decided to "ease into" starting to add in some "bad boy" element into the Texans by adding a player that you can hardly find a part of him that is not entirely covered with warts.

It appears Moffitt used those two years he took off to deal with some personal demons...

A Year of Unforeseen Hits
John Moffitt Rides Rocky Transition to Life After the N.F.L.

John Moffitt spent 20 years to reach the pinnacle of his profession, a day to ditch that job and a year grappling with the consequences of his decision.

A year ago this week, Moffitt, a little-known offensive lineman for the Denver Broncos, made national news when he abruptly retired, giving up about $1 million in pay, a potential trip to the Super Bowl and a high-profile lifestyle envied by millions of Americans.

Battered by injuries, tired of the grinding routines and sapped of the passion that had driven him since he began playing as an 8-year-old, Moffitt walked away from the N.F.L.with no plan other than to explore life beyond football.

Moffitt’s leap was praised by the league’s detractors, who applauded his willingness to lift the veil on a brutal sport that puts players in harm’s way for profit and to push back against society’s expectations for professional athletes. To the N.F.L.'s many backers, Moffitt was a naïve idealist who did not know his own luck and would lament his decision.

Y-JP-MOFFITT-1-articleLarge.jpg

Moffitt said he struggled to replace the structure that defined his football life, partying too much and getting arrested on battery and drug possession charges. Credit Michael Hanson for The New York Times

Moffitt, who lives in Seattle, said he had no regrets. Yet his journey into retirement at 27 has been a cautionary tale of how unprepared some professional athletes — even those with money, a four-year college degree and a supportive family — are for life outside the sports bubble.

“Leaving the N.F.L. on your choice is a transition I hadn’t even realized,” Moffitt said last week, a day before his 28th birthday. “I thought if I made the choice, it would be easy. I’m dealing with the fallout.”

That fallout started immediately. Moffitt’s life was abuzz for weeks after he told the Broncos’ president, John Elway, that he was done playing. Besieged with interview requests, he told reporters that playing in the N.F.L. made him feel like a commodity and that the risk of further damage was no longer worth the money or adulation.

Yet after the attention faded, Moffitt struggled to replace the structure that defined his football life, with its predictable rhythms and ready-made circle of friends. He produced podcasts, did some public speaking and worked with a writer to shape his thoughts into a book. He went for a screen test and developed a stand-up comedy routine about life as a player that he has performed live.

And he partied. Unshackled from the weekly schedules built around Sunday games, he was free to smoke marijuana, binge drink with college buddies and experiment with harder drugs. His relationship with his girlfriend soured, so he took to the road, staying with his parents in Connecticut and meeting up with friends in Los Angeles, Miami, New York and beyond.

Just before St. Patrick’s Day, he hit bottom. After a day of drinking with friends in Chicago, he ended up alone in a basement club. A bouncer spotted him with a sunglasses case that was filled with a gram of cocaine, 10 grams of marijuana and four ecstasy pills. A scuffle ensued, and he was arrested and charged with battery and three counts of drug possession. He was released on his own recognizance a half-day later.

The night in jail woke him up. Not only did he face more time in jail, but the story of his arrest was splashed on the Internet. His relationship with his girlfriend dissolved and book publishers withdrew interest in his story.

“It was like I jumped off a cliff,” Moffitt said of his arrest and the negative publicity that followed. “Those opportunities fell by the wayside. But it also sent me in a different direction.”

Before the drug charges were dismissed and he pleaded guilty to the other charge (he was fined $254), Moffitt enrolled in Passages, a high-end rehabilitation clinic in Malibu, Calif. There, he weaned himself off drugs and alcohol and let go of the pressure he felt to meet the expectations that others had for him, though fellow residents at the clinic quizzed him unendingly about his life in the N.F.L.

“The biggest thing was that I realized so many people were depending on me, and I felt that my only value is my production as a football player,” he said. “Whether it was expectations or money or the way I live, if I don’t meet everyone’s expectations, I’m a loser. It is out of love, but I felt like I was holding up this huge support system that was supposed to be my support system.”

Moffitt’s roller-coaster ride is not uncommon, said Bahati VanPelt, the executive director of the Trust, a group funded by the N.F.L. and players union that helps players after they retire. Players spend much of their childhood and their adult lives fixated on football and devote little time to developing skills that will help them afterward.

Three-quarters of players drafted in the N.F.L. are gone within four years, either through injury or because they were cut, and they may feel they have failed or are too proud to ask others for help. Some players live away from those who could provide medical and psychological support, and some may not have saved much money.

“Ever since they were in high school, players are told not to worry about the next play, only this play,” said VanPelt, who added that making the transition to life outside the N.F.L. could take from three months to two years. “They were an expert in their field, and suddenly they’re expected to be an expert in other fields.”

Moffitt is still unsure of how he will make a living, though he is interested in the film industry. He has considered driving an Uber cab and doing more standup comedy. In a few months, he said he would leave Seattle and his circle of football friends to start fresh in a new city. He is spending time with Sean Pamphilon, who has made documentaries about football players and witnessed their ups and downs.

“There’s a duality to John that I’m sure you understand: He’s incredibly funny, or he really wants to go inside himself and disappear,” Pamphilon said. “I’m excited to see how he can use his brain while not getting it beaten in.”

By some standards, Moffitt — who joked that he had outlived Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison, three of his musical heroes, who all died at 27 — is more fortunate than many players. He is single and has no children, and he worked with a financial adviser to put away money while he played. He moved into a smaller townhouse in Renton, not far from where the Seahawks, who drafted him in 2011, have their practice facility.

He is also close with his parents, who loved that their son had made it to the N.F.L. and were taken aback when he walked away from the game. After Moffitt was arrested, his father did not give him any ultimatums but made it clear that it was up to him to change his behavior.

“I said, “I love you and will visit you in jail, but I don’t want to have to visit you in jail,' ” David Moffitt said. “I told him, ‘You’re at a crossroad; there is no in between.’ ”

Moffitt’s father said his son was “no angel,” and he said he recognized that John had partied too much but said, “You put it under the rug.” Ultimately, he said he was happy that John was at peace with his decision.

“He’s much more relaxed and not jacked up all the time,” the elder Moffitt said. “He doesn’t have any regrets, and I don’t either.”​
****​

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

Getting a little misty. Today we sent John Moffitt off to Philly. Three months of complete dedication. He showed us bad decisions CAN be overcome by better ones

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CI8V7nwVEAAFIGs.jpg

Last edited:
It appears Moffitt used those two years he took off to deal with some personal demons...

I wish the young man well in his quest for "sobriety." I was encouraged..........until I read that his rehab of choice which he entered only approximately one year ago was Passages. I know that you are aware of the questionable principles their therapeutic approach is based on........and their outlandish unverifiable cure claims for a disease that they insist does not even supposedly exist. But, probably many here are not familiar with this well-oiled PR machine.

Addiction: Buying the Cure at Passages Malibu

Last edited:
Back