Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Team Assessment at Halfway Point

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Alright, this thread is for everyone except SWTBound... All of us have been on these boards either predicting doom and gloom, a turn around, or more of the same. And, most of us have weighed in early on the new parts to the team. So, just curious how everyone feels now:

1. Brian Cushing- I'll start off with one that I really missed. While I don't bash draft picks outside of Oakland before they play a down of football, I wasn't excited about this pick. I liked the combination of Diles, Ryans, Bentley, Adibi, and was a big Chaun Thompson fan (that's right!)... The guy is awesome and has a nose for the football like no player we've ever had.

2. Frank Bush- I was hopeful but unsure. I thought he needed a chance to work with the guys and develop the team. I liked his agressiveness but had no idea what kind of DC he'd be. Clearly, I'm very pleased and excited for Kubiak and Bush and the defense. Some posters have a little crow to eat. Where is Second Honeymoon anyway?

3. Antonio Smith- Man, this guy is money right now! Lots of pressures and QB hits and plays the run well to. Gotta love the versatility. Let's see some apologies from the "another Weaver" camp.

4. Kasey Studdard- "I'm very sorry Mr. Studdard." I made a lot of jokes at his expense. I honestly thought he was the worst guard in the history of modern pro football. He's been pretty darn good. Certainly, he's proven to be a very solid backup, at least.

5. Matt Schaub- As much as I've liked the guy, I was very worried about his brittleness. Last year's goofy concussion in Pittsburgh and then his phantom ankle sprain in the preseason really had me thinking "chris chandler". The guy has played very well and has shown a lot of poise. After the Buffalo game, his QB rating takes a hit but my opinion of him went up a little.

6. I've wanted to believe it. I've been arguing that this team will win 10-11 games this year... even when we were 2-3. But, at gametime, I am a nervous freakin' wreck! I never really believed we would win today until after the go ahead TD. Now, I truly believe. This is a playoff team!!

So, let's see some confessions, apologies, and some "i told you so's". Halfway through the season is as good a time as any, especially when we're 5-3.

I don't know if I ever said it on these boards, but I hated the Cushing pick. Thank you for making me look like an *****.

Way to step up Moats, keep taking advantage of your opportunities.

Keep it up Schaub/AJ.

Time to shine Casey/Dreesen, make something happen next week.

Same goes for Walter. He's too good to have less than 300 receiving yards at this point in the season regardless of how good OD was.

Defense.. I've always been a defensive oriented person for any sport I've played/team I've rooted for. It's so nice to finally have a Texans defense that can hold teams to the points that they should be scoring (Knocking on wood).

Let's give BSPN a reason to talk about the Texans by going out and beating the Colts in Indy next week.

Well, normally I'm not into the "I TOLD YOU SO" game, because I've been wrong more times than I've been right.

But I have to make an exception regarding Frank Bush. I've read ad nauseum all these gloom and doom posts saying that Bush was inexperienced, and not a proven coach, so therefore he couldn't succeed. I've read ad nauseum all these gloom and doom posts saying that Bush was nothing but a Richard Smith clone.

Well, I told you so. :lol:

Well, normally I'm not into the "I TOLD YOU SO" game, because I've been wrong more times than I've been right.

But I have to make an exception regarding Frank Bush. I've read ad nauseum all these gloom and doom posts saying that Bush was inexperienced, and not a proven coach, so therefore he couldn't succeed. I've read ad nauseum all these gloom and doom posts saying that Bush was nothing but a Richard Smith clone.

Well, I told you so. :lol:

Hey, right now, real fans should be gladly eating crow...

I love the fact that I was wrong about Studdard... Oh yeah, and I was wrong about Amobi Okoye- he may not be great but I would've celebrated it they'd cut him after the Tennessee game.

Happy that things are better than last year.

Extremely happy that Cush is a monster and being touted for the probowl in his rookie year.

AJ is Aj and will always bleed for us.

Schaub - very impressed with, some big improvements and has shown he can take control granted our opposition hasnt been the toughest but next week at indy i think he will have a huge game.

Slaton - will be back

OD- All the best and sign him...

Nice to see aswell that their is some strength and depth in the team with the likes of Moats stepping up Casey looked reasonable. All in all im happy :chickendance:

Alright, this thread is for everyone except SWTBound... All of us have been on these boards either predicting doom and gloom, a turn around, or more of the same. And, most of us have weighed in early on the new parts to the team. So, just curious how everyone feels now:

1. Brian Cushing- I'll start off with one that I really missed. While I don't bash draft picks outside of Oakland before they play a down of football, I wasn't excited about this pick. I liked the combination of Diles, Ryans, Bentley, Adibi, and was a big Chaun Thompson fan (that's right!)... The guy is awesome and has a nose for the football like no player we've ever had.

2. Frank Bush- I was hopeful but unsure. I thought he needed a chance to work with the guys and develop the team. I liked his agressiveness but had no idea what kind of DC he'd be. Clearly, I'm very pleased and excited for Kubiak and Bush and the defense. Some posters have a little crow to eat. Where is Second Honeymoon anyway?

3. Antonio Smith- Man, this guy is money right now! Lots of pressures and QB hits and plays the run well to. Gotta love the versatility. Let's see some apologies from the "another Weaver" camp.

4. Kasey Studdard- "I'm very sorry Mr. Studdard." I made a lot of jokes at his expense. I honestly thought he was the worst guard in the history of modern pro football. He's been pretty darn good. Certainly, he's proven to be a very solid backup, at least.

5. Matt Schaub- As much as I've liked the guy, I was very worried about his brittleness. Last year's goofy concussion in Pittsburgh and then his phantom ankle sprain in the preseason really had me thinking "chris chandler". The guy has played very well and has shown a lot of poise. After the Buffalo game, his QB rating takes a hit but my opinion of him went up a little.

6. I've wanted to believe it. I've been arguing that this team will win 10-11 games this year... even when we were 2-3. But, at gametime, I am a nervous freakin' wreck! I never really believed we would win today until after the go ahead TD. Now, I truly believe. This is a playoff team!!

So, let's see some confessions, apologies, and some "i told you so's". Halfway through the season is as good a time as any, especially when we're 5-3.

1. Cushing has been great. Probably my 2nd favorite player in Texans history behind AJ.

2. I have been around plenty. I am proud of my team and I am proud of the massive turnaround on defense. I have plenty of good things to say about the defense and about the coaching. I guess I must have been 'out of line' for criticizing the defense when it was sucking. No crow eaten though. When the defense plays like crap, I will be there to criticize and it was playing like crap so it got criticized.

Bush has the players making more plays and giving up less big plays. That is the job of the DC to make sure that is happening and if it isn't happening, to make appropriate adjustments. Bush is doing his job now, and he is doing an above average job to boot. Now lets do it against a good QB for 4 quarters, and we may see some real progress. Doing it against Fitzpatrick, Hill, and Russell isn't exactly Murderer's Row but I will give credit where credit is due. They have made bad QBs look bad. If that somehow makes you feel vindicated, good for you. I will give praise, but excuse me if I am not already trying to pile on honest fans that were not happy with our defensive performance....because no one was.

3. Antonio Smith has been just another guy, so please don't act like he is dominating. The guy has made a few plays and your ready to crown the guy king. Is he better than Weaver? Sure, but that isn't saying much.

4. Of course you made fun of Studdard. He went to Texas. We all know how much people on this board respect and love Longhorn football.

5. I have always been on the Matt bandwagon since Day One. Matt is doing a fine job managing this offense and making it one of the most productive and explosive offenses. They have also been doing a SUPER job in the red zone. They bogged down a little bit yesterday having to settle for a few field goals, but we are lightyears ahead of last year. I agree with you that its nice to see him running without pulling up lame and getting hit without being injured.

6. I think the loss to the Jaguars is going to bite us in the arse come playoff race time. I also don't think 10-6 is going to get us in the playoffs. If we can manage to go 6-2 the final 8 games, we will make it but I just don't see it happening. We play some tough games including 2 against Manning and 1 against Brady. 2 of those 3 are at home, so that could help but we know playing on the road means nothing to those guys.

I would love to see us make the playoffs and I know no one would want to play us.

Nice try on trying to call out fans for being critical, but when things are looking as bad as they were on defense, honest fans (and even our own owner) will call out their team's performance as unacceptable and that we need to see more progress. When they see more progress, they are happy and aren't worried about trying to make people eat crow or trying to make themselves feel important. That is a real fan.

Nice try on trying to call out fans for being critical, but when things are looking as bad as they were on defense, honest fans (and even our own owner) will call out their team's performance as unacceptable and that we need to see more progress. When they see more progress, they are happy and aren't worried about trying to make people eat crow or trying to make themselves feel important. That is a real fan.

SH, I'm not calling out fans. I'm having fun with the fact that there have been some really nice surprises for many of us fans the past month. That being said, you are probably being a little stubborn to not recant some of the endictments you made against Bush and Kubiak for his hire. Your critique was much more than simply saying the defense was currently playing poorly. You said he was an awful hire and predicted the defense would continue to stink. That clearly hasn't happened and we should all be happy about it.

The first half has looked really good, even with all of our early lapses. We are consistently improving, and as a fan that is all I really ask for.

Things to improve from the first half of the season if we want to make a playoff run:

1) Disguising Blitzes : It seems like our Blitz gets picked up by the opponent on a regular basis, and although we are improving, I think we need to get better at this.

2) Running game : If we can't run the ball in the 4th quarter with a 3 point lead against a good team like Indy or NE, it will come back to haunt us.

3) Turnovers : I think at this point in the season we are even in the +/- for turnovers. We need to find a way to create more, and Slaton needs to step up his game and stop fumbling.

4) Consistency : Self explanatory, bring it for 60 minutes.

SH, I'm not calling out fans. I'm having fun with the fact that there have been some really nice surprises for many of us fans the past month. That being said, you are probably being a little stubborn to not recant some of the endictments you made against Bush and Kubiak for his hire. Your critique was much more than simply saying the defense was currently playing poorly. You said he was an awful hire and predicted the defense would continue to stink. That clearly hasn't happened and we should all be happy about it.

it did look like an awful hire and was probably not the most qualified candidate (mike nolan and gregg williams were more proven and qualified without a doubt) but it is working out at the moment. i am not stubborn. what do you want me to say? Bush has gotten the defense to improve but that doesn't take away from the way the defense was playing. like it or not, criticism was warranted and questioning the hire was an easily justifiable talking point.

hopefully Bush continues to do his job so we aren't looking for a new coaching staff this offseason. Barring a meteoric fall, Kubiak will be brought back and given a new contract at the end of the season (or sooner) and the Bush selection looks better and better every day. For better or worse, that is what is going to happen. Hopefully things work out.

at the end of the day I am happy though, bush is doing his job and we have played well in recent weeks as a defense. we have done well in recent weeks and even though some of the QBs have sucked, it still counts the same in the win column. Lets see how the defense does against quality QBs coming up.

6. I think the loss to the Jaguars is going to bite us in the arse come playoff race time. I also don't think 10-6 is going to get us in the playoffs. If we can manage to go 6-2 the final 8 games, we will make it but I just don't see it happening. We play some tough games including 2 against Manning and 1 against Brady. 2 of those 3 are at home, so that could help but we know playing on the road means nothing to those guys.

^^ This.

Although, if the playoffs started today we're in!!! :dancer:

On your list here, the only one I will be eating crow on is Schaub. And if Schaub keeps up this performance, I fry that crow up with Cajun spices and confess my sins to all. :)

it did look like an awful hire and was probably not the most qualified candidate (mike nolan and gregg williams were more proven and qualified without a doubt) but it is working out at the moment. i am not stubborn. what do you want me to say? Bush has gotten the defense to improve but that doesn't take away from the way the defense was playing. like it or not, criticism was warranted and questioning the hire was an easily justifiable talking point.

hopefully Bush continues to do his job so we aren't looking for a new coaching staff this offseason. Barring a meteoric fall, Kubiak will be brought back and given a new contract at the end of the season (or sooner) and the Bush selection looks better and better every day. For better or worse, that is what is going to happen. Hopefully things work out.

at the end of the day I am happy though, bush is doing his job and we have played well in recent weeks as a defense. we have done well in recent weeks
and even though some of the QBs have sucked, it still counts the same in the win column. Lets see how the defense does against quality QBs coming up.

that's it, SH, you said it. I think we're going to struggle at Indy though. Let's not freak out if the defense has a bad day there.

Also, 10-6 with a win at Miami, and I just don't see how we don't make the playoffs. Pitt/Balt/Cinc have a lot of games left with each other... So, there is almost no way 3 teams in that division have double digit wins. SD has a lot of tough games left, and we have the tiebreaker against Cincy. I'll take the 11 wins, though!

I think I'm a little calmer than Thorn even though he may be a year or two older, LOL!

(Yes, Thorn... I missed what you meant when you were talking about WONDER!
icon10.gif
)

I believed all along.. after the first game when there were 100 Fire Kubiak/Frank Bush?move to LA threads..I still believed in my team win or loose.(see the best post ever written)

The best texans team ever??? halfway point says yes...we will have to see

10-6 until proven otherwise

Cushing goes without saying, a freaking beast, but it's nice to see Caldwell doing well. These Smithiak draft picks just keep hitting and that's the biggest difference of all, IMO.

Now, we'll get to see what we've got in Casey.

The Texans only need to beat the teams with losing records on their remaining schedule to go 10 and 6. They only need to go .500 for the second half of the season to get their first winning season.

Texans Remaining Schedule:
@ Colts 7 and 0
Titans (home) 1 and 6
Colts (home) 7 and 0
@ Jaguars 3 and 4
Seahawks (home) 2 and 5
@ Rams 1 and 7
@ Dolphins 3 and 4
Patriots (home) 5 and 2

If they can throw in a win or two against a team most people have them penciled-in to lose (i.e. Colts and New England), they wind up 11-5 or 12-4.

Gary Kubiak isn't going anywhere any time soon.

3. Antonio Smith has been just another guy, so please don't act like he is dominating. The guy has made a few plays and your ready to crown the guy king. Is he better than Weaver? Sure, but that isn't saying much.

Im gonna have to strongly disagree. Smith has been our most consistent D-lineman (yes over Mario) and has been in backfields more than any of our d-lineman. He's stopping the run and pressuring the QB. I'm not seeing him has "just another guy" on this defense.

that's it, SH, you said it. I think we're going to struggle at Indy though. Let's not freak out if the defense has a bad day there.

Also, 10-6 with a win at Miami, and I just don't see how we don't make the playoffs. Pitt/Balt/Cinc have a lot of games left with each other... So, there is almost no way 3 teams in that division have double digit wins. SD has a lot of tough games left, and we have the tiebreaker against Cincy. I'll take the 11 wins, though!

Miami is a must win if the Texans want to get in at 10-6 but I think that one of the wild cards is wrapped up. Either Baltimore or Pittsburgh will be the Wild Card team and the other the AFC North winner. I will leave Baltimore as the the winner of the 1st Wild Card. That leaves us against Bengals, Dolphins, Jets, and Chargers. Basically a 5 team race for one spot. I'll embolden my winners.

It looks like its gonna be between us and the Chargers if we end up at 10-6. I am assuming Baltimore gets in.

Bengals remaining schedule (5-2) *projected 9-7
Baltimore, @Pittsburgh, @Oakland, Cleveland, Detroit, @Minnesota, @San Diego, Kansas City, @New York Jets

Baltimore remaining schedule (4-3) *projected 10-6
@Cincinnatti, @Cleveland, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, @GreenBay, Detroit, Chicago, @Pittsburgh, @Oakland

Dolphins remaining schedule (3-4) *projected 8-8
New England TWICE, @Carolina, Tampa Bay, @Buffalo, @Jags, @Titans, Texans, Steelers

Chargers remaining schedule (4-3) *projected 10-6
@Giants, Philadelphia, @Denver, Kansas City, @Cleveland, @Dallas, Cincinnatti, @Tennessee, Washington

NY Jets remaining schedule (4-4) *projected 9-7
Jacksonville, @New England, Carolina, @Buffalo, @Tampa Bay, Atlanta, @Indianapolis, Cincinnatti

----------------------

Looking at the schedules, it actually sets up pretty good for us. I am a little more optimistic now.

I also feel the late bye week could really help us gear up and prepare for the final grind

Last edited:
Im gonna have to strongly disagree. Smith has been our most consistent D-lineman (yes over Mario) and has been in backfields more than any of our d-lineman. He's stopping the run and pressuring the QB. I'm not seeing him has "just another guy" on this defense.

I agree he has not been playing like just another guy. But, he has not been in the backfield more than Mario. Going into yesterdays game Mario had 10 QB hits and 15 pressures. Smith had 5 hits and 14 pressures.

I agree he has not been playing like just another guy. But, he has not been in the backfield more than Mario. Going into yesterdays game Mario had 10 QB hits and 15 pressures. Smith had 5 hits and 14 pressures.

So 1 less pressure 5 less hits... one things for sure its not like the last 2 years where it was Mario doing all the work and no one else contributing.

Miami is a must win if the Texans want to get in at 10-6 but I think that one of the wild cards is wrapped up. Either Baltimore or Pittsburgh will be the Wild Card team and the other the AFC North winner. That leaves us against Bengals, Dolphins, Jets, and Chargers. Basically a 5 team race for one spot.

The Bengals have a few brutal games left, but some patsies too.

Bengals remaining schedule

Cincy plays SD, Balt, and Pitt
Balt plays Pittsburgh twice, and Cincy
Miami plays Pittsburgh, Houston
Pittsburgh plays Baltimore twice, Cincy, Miami

all of that "incest" pretty much guarantees that the 2nd Wild Card spot can be gotten with 10 wins.

4. Amobi Okoye is playing well. He handles double teams and is often in the backfield creating havoc in the run and pass game.

5. Antonio Smith is playing well in the run and pass game. He's getting hits on the QB, some hurries and playing the run pretty well too.
There wasn't any doubt that we can penetrate this O-line.

I think when a certain poster or two talked about Weaver 2.0, it was half a fun poke at Smith, half due to legitimate concern about his big contract dollar.

I said Smith is a penetrating type of guy and will be used as such.
Let there be no doubt that in our scheme, Smith is not used to set the edge the way we used Weaver.

This way, Smith mostly has only one gap to account for.

Before this game, Smith has an average of 2.71 successful penetrations per game which would translate to about 43 for the year. (I think he got about 4 or 5 this game, which is very good - I will have to study the game tape to be sure.)

I had set the level for bust at 40 -(Mario had 65 last year).
If Smith ends up with 48, I will have no complain whatsoever, but I would think 52 (which is 80% of Mario's output last year) is the worth of his contract.

Mario has an average of 4 thru 7 games, which was his norm last year.
He may have an off game this week, but considering his "not being" 100% for a few games this year, all was good!

I'm very happy with our interior D play the last 5 games.
The guys inside have done a better job than last year to keep the opponents' O-linemen off our LBs.

I thought Cody was a good signing, that he would push T.J. and Okoye.
I commented that he did well penetrating for the Lions.
He's been doing well, especially considering that he wasn't 100% early on.

Many of us agreed with Vinny that Okoye is better as a one-gap player.
It was "pretty clear" what the Texans coaches wanted to do with their FA acquisitions and the draft.
Looks like he's stepping up to the plate and I hope he continues to do so.
This is his time to prove he can be consistent in the middle.

Side note - I've always thought Okam would be better off playing in the mid 310s even though I would have like to have a big run stuffer in there.

I'm shocked & confused to tell you the truth. I thought th offense would pick up where it left off last year and continue to roll. It looks to me that Kubiak dropped a lot of the things we did last year, to make the running game work, & now we're going to be 100% ZBS. Which isn't a bad thing. We just got past week 8 & I don't know if we got it, are about to get it, or if we're totally hopeless.

Defensively, I knew there were going to be growing pains. But what I saw in the pre-season was enough for me to know it would be worth it. I also understood then, why we needed another LB. I wanted a cornerback. The biggest difference I see between this defense & Richard Smith's defense is that Frank Bush stuck with his agressive play callimg. Richard Smith did play aggresive in the preseason or early in the season. But would always shift to prevent D

& I'm ready to say I was wrong about #23. I don't think he's played like a franchise corner, but I feel that he will in the next game or two.

I did not see the need for another LB when we needed a FS and a running back eating DT. Still don't agree with the philosphy. I expected Cush to be good but nothing like he has been. I think any selection that is playing as a starter at pro bowl level was the right pick. No one knew at #15 how good he was going to be. I would have been very upset if Jenkins had been there & we took Cushing. I am still rooting for Mays to drop to us but we just keep on winning!

On your list here, the only one I will be eating crow on is Schaub. And if Schaub keeps up this performance, I fry that crow up with Cajun spices and confess my sins to all. :)

Another reason for Schaub to keep up the steam, cant wait to see all the dark sins exposed! ;)

Don't get me wrong - I am absolutely thrilled where the team is now. Although I would have hoped for 6-2, if you would have offered me 5-3 before the season started, I would have taken it. After you consider the way this team started out of the gate, I would have jumped on this after watching the first three games.

That being said, I feel like I have been here long enought to know to temper my enthusiasm. We are half way through a long season. Plenty of teams have started off better, and more consistent, than we have played and finished the season horribly.

I still feel Kubes needs to finish with an above .500 record to save his job - although I now think that 9 wins (as opposed to at least 10 wins), will be enough if the team plays well. A couple of random thoughts after 8 games:

(1) Defense - This is where I agree with the criticism of the fan base. There were a lot of people out there who weren't even willing to consider that there was a chance that the d would get better. We were bad the first three games and bad in the preseason, therefore we would never get better.
- I don't think anyone expected the impact that Reeves and Pollard would have on the defense. I also think the emergence of Cushing, as well as Amobi's continued improvement, is making the difference.
- Everything is relative. I think the defense has played really well - but we haven't gone up and succeeded against one of the great NFL offenses yet. Our improvement in the running game is evident. I am interested to see how we do against a good passing team. This weekend against the Colts will be a great test.

(2) Studdard, Caldwell - I am not a technical football guy. However, on the running TDs yesterday, as well as some of the long runs, I noticed both of these guys doing a good job. Again, I am not ready to jump to any conclusions, but maybe we have found some good, young talent that improves the interior line, without having to make any offseason moves at all?

(3) Slaton - I am not ready to give up on him, but I think Moats did enough in the last game to warrant a good 4 game stretch to be given the opportunity to be first string guy. In addition to the fumble issue (which is big), I'll give up a little of the big play opportunity Slaton provides for more consistency getting positive yardage on your basic first and second down play...or in your short and goal line situation. Ideally, Moats can fill this role and we are able to incorporate Slaton in a third down/ specialty role for the "big play."

(4) Pitts/ OD - In our short history, we don't have many players that general football fans identify with as Texans and that hardcore Texans fans are proud to have part of our organization. Both Pitts and OD fit this mold. I am assuming that they both can come back from their injuries when I say - the front office needs to do the right thing and keep these guys on the roster - even if you need to pay a small premium. Do right by players that do the right thing and represent the organization well. I understand making good business decisions - but I am convinced this is the right business decision for the long run.

Another reason for Schaub to keep up the steam, cant wait to see all the dark sins exposed! ;)

I am really sorry to say...
No, I'm not sorry to say...
that Schaub still has me deciding whether he belongs in the top ten.
Bad first half! :wild:

I thought this would be the week that will firmly put him in the top ten.
He did not help his cause enough! Sorry!

I am really sorry to say...
No, I'm not sorry to say...
that Schaub still has me deciding whether he belongs in the top ten.
Bad first half! :wild:

I thought this would be the week that will firmly put him in the top ten.
He did not help his cause enough! Sorry!

Holy crap! What does this man need to do for some of you people, walk on water? First he gets slammed for being injury-prone, which was horsecrap. Not only has he played every game so far, he's been getting the crap beat out of him and he bounces right back up every time.

The man is in the top 10 in every statistical category this year (top 7 in most) and it still isn't good enough for you?

7th - QB rating
1st - completions
5th - completion %
1st - yardage
3rd - yards per game
6th - yards per attempt
tied 1st - TD passes
9th - TD/INT ratio (out of 15 QB's with 10 or more TD passes)

I don't know what more you want out of the guy.

Holy crap! What does this man need to do for some of you people, walk on water? First he gets slammed for being injury-prone, which was horsecrap. Not only has he played every game so far, he's been getting the crap beat out of him and he bounces right back up every time.

The man is in the top 10 in every statistical category this year (top 7 in most) and it still isn't good enough for you?

7th - QB rating
1st - completions
5th - completion %
1st - yardage
3rd - yards per game
6th - yards per attempt
tied 1st - TD passes

The problem with using stats to prove your argument, is that you end up giving big contracts/contract extensions to the likes of Eli Manning, Jake Delhomme, & Tony Romo.

Stats do tell part of the story, & Schaub played I think his best game against the Bills..... so I don't know what 76 is talking about. But he usually has good opinions formed from what he observed.... I'd be willing to hear him out.

7th - QB rating
1st - completions
5th - completion %
1st - yardage
3rd - yards per game
6th - yards per attempt
tied 1st - TD passes

To make 76 happy, 10 consecutive Super Bowl victories!! :runaway:

The problem with using stats to prove your argument, is that you end up giving big contracts/contract extensions to the likes of Eli Manning, Jake Delhomme, & Tony Romo.

Stats do tell part of the story, & Schaub played I think his best game against the Bills.....

No relatively speaking Schaub had a bad game against the Bills. That says something when your QB on a bad day captains the team to 268 yds passing on the way to a 32-10 victory...on a bad day.

Stats do tell part of the story, & Schaub played I think his best game against the Bills..... so I don't know what 76 is talking about. But he usually has good opinions formed from what he observed.... I'd be willing to hear him out.

Eli Manning got his contract because fools think "Wins" and "Rings" are QB stats.

If they had actually looked at his career high 84.6 QB rating, 6.8 YPA and 203 YPG instead he would have never gotten that kind of money.

key is Schaub has 5 wins to go with that stat and with a couple of 1 yard plays .. who knows maybe still at 5 wins , maybe 6 or even 7 wins ..so team is getting better.. litmus test will be this weekend ...we have played well on the road lately (think we have won 5 of 6 or 5 of 7) .. so DT's SOMEHOW have to push that pocket into Mannings face (haven't seen it yet) but hopefully a good game this weekend before the bye week:kingkong:

No relatively speaking Schaub had a bad game against the Bills. That says something when your QB on a bad day captains the team to 268 yds passing on the way to a 32-10 victory...on a bad day.

If you're using stats like TDs & passing yards... sure.

But seeing him deciding to run, and then run..... was good. I think.
I believe that was the first time I saw him slide feet first

Seeing him throw the ball away in the direction of a receiver, instead of eating the ball, taking a sack, or throwing an errant pass.... was good. I think.

I only saw two balls thrown grossly behind the receiver...

I think he made very good decisions through out the game... going into week 9 where he has to be perfect... that's a good thing.

Schaub had a bad first half and cost the team points!

Against a good team, that would make it hard to come back.

Please put down those homer glasses.
I have them too, but I will use them only when needed.
When I want to measure the true performance of a player, I kept those glasses locked in my drawers!
icon12.gif

I can't believe we have people criticizing Schaub. That is really just off the charts stupid.

yes, I said stupid. because that is what it is.

David Carr got treated like a demi-god around here and didn't do stuff except win a meaningless game against the Cowboys, yet we have to try and disect Schaub's play for any modicum of negativity. just ridiculous.

Schaub is arguably playing better at QB than any Houston professional footballer has before, and that includes Warren Moon and Dago Dan.

Please back away from the hate and appreciate real football. It only took 6 years to get a decent QB and now that we got one, people want to run the guy out of town because he isn't leading the Texans to multiple Super Bowls.

give me a break.

Matt, your doing awesome. Work on getting rid of the ball before you get sacked and try and improve your ability to run and escape from the pocket. Other than that, you are doing awesome.

I think Frank Bush is "Alex Gibbs'ing" the defense. What I mean by that
is he is simplifying it to a point where the players do the same
thing over and over. They stop defense not based on deception, but
on the fact they can perform their defense better than the offense can
do ITS job. Once the basics become second nature, then he'll be able
to put another spoonful of pain onto the plate.

I like what he's done with this defense. As of now, they fool NO ONE, but
they have enough talent to win their battles. This defense has WAAY more
talent than they are performing. Once their SKILL LEVEL reaches a certain
level, Frank will be able to unleash them. That may be a season or two
away, but they will make Houston proud.

If you're using stats like TDs & passing yards... sure.

He was out of rhythm in the first half. That doesn't mean he sucked, but he was not playing to his highest level.

I believe that was the first time I saw him slide feet first

He did a a couple games ago and has done it before.

Seeing him throw the ball away in the direction of a receiver, instead of eating the ball, taking a sack, or throwing an errant pass.... was good. I think.

He has always been good about getting rid of the ball. That hardly elevates this game.

I only saw two balls thrown grossly behind the receiver...

He grossly overthrew the ball on one of the INT's.

What are you responding to? I said he had an off day. How is that being a homer?

He was out of rhythm in the first half. That doesn't mean he sucked, but he was not playing to his highest level.

He did a a couple games ago and has done it before.

He has always been good about getting rid of the ball. That hardly elevates this game.

He grossly overthrew the ball on one of the INT's.

What are you responding to? I said he had an off day. How is that being a homer?
Sorry, the HOMER was in reference to Speedy, not you!
icon7.gif

I was trying to get two birds with one post!

Schaub is the leader of the offense. By comparison, Rosenfels just played
the position, but he does NOT manage a huddle like Schaub. I do not see
us doing this well on the road, which is the test of ANY quarterback, with
any other quarterback we've ever had.

The defense never lost hope in the offense, which allowed them to
continue to dominate the game in spite of the turnovers. Had that
been Sage in there, the defense might have gone "oh, here we go again"
and blown the comeback. We've ALL seen the poise of Schaub in Greenbay
from last year, Miami from last year, Week 2 against the Titans, Against
the Bears in the final game of last season, even the Cardinals game from
this year. He led us to a near victory. This team never stops fighting.

I guess it's why the Rockets and Texans are SO FAR ahead of the Astros.
Drayton thinks STARS sell tickets. Les and Bob understand that WINNING
sells even MORE. Good job, Texans. Keep dustin' those haters off.

Schaub will need to play more consistent for this team to reach the play-offs.
Unless he simply hopes the defense can carry the team all the way there!

When Schaub finally deserves to be in the top ten, I will give him the props!
Until then, I continue to HATE on him to my heart content!
icon12.gif

I think Frank Bush is "Alex Gibbs'ing" the defense. What I mean by that
is he is simplifying it to a point where the players do the same
thing over and over. They stop defense not based on deception, but
on the fact they can perform their defense better than the offense can
do ITS job. Once the basics become second nature, then he'll be able
to put another spoonful of pain onto the plate.

I like what he's done with this defense. As of now, they fool NO ONE, but
they have enough talent to win their battles. This defense has WAAY more
talent than they are performing. Once their SKILL LEVEL reaches a certain
level, Frank will be able to unleash them. That may be a season or two
away, but they will make Houston proud.

i agree with this completely. the beauty of our defense is it's simplicity, and that simplicity is showing both the level and potential of the talent kubiak's putting together. we've seen this a few times now under kubiak - mario being a good example. giving him more than he can handle and working backwards to his comfort level. i dont believe our defense started the season very exotic to begin with, but as kubiak and bush both said early on, they're going to simplify things to where our players are currently at.

Schaub will need to play more consistent for this team to reach the play-offs.
Unless he simply hopes the defense can carry the team all the way there!

When Schaub finally deserves to be in the top ten, I will give him the props!
Until then, I continue to HATE on him to my heart content!
icon12.gif

I'm fine with you leaving him out of, or just in, your personal top 10. That being said, I have to disagree with your conclusion that he has to play better (more consistent) in order to make the playoffs. After all, we are competing with some pretty flawed teams like Miami, NYJets, and San Diego. And, there's no way that the NFC north produces 3 10 win teams. Also, I think his play will improve if the running game continues to show life.

If he replicates his first half in the second half and the team makes it in the playoffs, I don't think you could characterize the season as "the defense (carrying) the team all the way there".

The offense has scored: 34, 29, 28, 24, 31 in its 5 wins. and... 21, 24 among their losses. The one poor offensive game was the first one of the season. Those are hardly numbers indicating poor QB play or the need for the defense to carry the team.

I'm fine with you leaving him out of, or just in, your personal top 10. That being said, I have to disagree with your conclusion that he has to play better (more consistent) in order to make the playoffs. After all, we are competing with some pretty flawed teams like Miami, NYJets, and San Diego. And, there's no way that the NFC north produces 3 10 win teams. Also, I think his play will improve if the running game continues to show life.

If he replicates his first half in the second half and the team makes it in the playoffs, I don't think you could characterize the season as "the defense (carrying) the team all the way there".

The offense has scored: 34, 29, 28, 24, 31 in its 5 wins. and... 21, 24 among their losses. The one poor offensive game was the first one of the season. Those are hardly numbers indicating poor QB play or the need for the defense to carry the team.
Our defense was not supposed to be this good, just yet.

They are becoming more consistent little by little.

In this game, the D totally dominated.

Who knows what would have happened if the D didn't show up!
And the Bills are just hurting and plain bad right now.

And I never said POOR QB's play.

I continue to emphasize on consistency.
A top ten QB should be a little more consistent than what Schaub has been showing so far.

Last edited:
Our defense was not supposed to be this good, just yet.

They are becoming more consistent little by little.

In this game, the D totally dominated.

Who knows what would have happened if the D didn't show up!
And the Bills are just hurting and plain bad right now.

And I never said POOR QB's play.

I continues to emphasize on consistency.
A top ten QB should be a little more consistent than what Schaub has been showing so far.

I was complaining about Richard Smith in 2007, before it was popular to do so. I was a big supporter of Bush, based only on the fact that he wasn't Smith and that I loved the agressive philosophy... considering we have a good offense. I'm loving the defensive improvement but I was predicting it. After the Tennessee game, I thought you could really see where this defense was going. We had 11 tackles for a loss that game and I think 6 3 and outs.

I think the defensive improvement helps Schaub as well as the offense. It gives the offense confidence to know that the defense can actually make a play and help them win. Guys like Ben Rothlisburger, Eli Manning would look a lot less impressive if their defense wasn't so reliable... Actually, we are seeing that now with Eli. Again, while I may disagree, I respect your assessment that Schaub is in the top 1/2 of the NFL QBs but a borderline top 10. I was just saying that his play this year is good enough to assist the Texans to reach the playoffs.

When I want to measure the true performance of a player, I kept those glasses locked in my drawers!
icon12.gif
I''ve left my glasses in the car, by the pool and even on top of my head. Never thought of putting them where you do. Guess that might help if I ever get a crappy out look on life:chickendance:

I''ve left my glasses in the car, by the pool and even on top of my head. Never thought of putting them where you do. Guess that might help if I ever get a crappy out look on life:chickendance:

You might notice that I use LOL and all those smilies quite a bit in my posts; if I may boast, I think I might be in the top ten among posters who do so, hahaha! :cow:

Sorry, the HOMER was in reference to Speedy, not you!
icon7.gif

I was trying to get two birds with one post!

Better to be a homer (which I'm not really) than to walk around with my eyes closed. So far what I see from you here is that you think Schaub isn't a top 10 QB because you think he had one bad half against Buffalo. Nevermind what he's done all season. Ignore stats all you want, which is the first thing people with a ridiculous arguement do, dismiss the stats, and yes I'm well aware of what story stats do or don't tell, but those numbers got there somehow by somebody.

Since Brees didn't have such a great 2nd half last night and Ryan didn't have a good game seeing how is QB rating was 46, I guess they're out of the top 10 now, right? I guess that top 10 is pretty thin by your standards. Might not even be 10 in it.

Make sure you have enough Schaub crow for me to share, think we can get some blackened crow poyboys?

- Schaub is having his best year.. hate to say that cause I still don't like his style of play.
- DL has come around, was very worried about this early on cause they were getting destroyed the first few games.

Back