Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TE anyone?

BradK10 said:
Anyone else noticed how sickly deep this year's draft is gonna be at TE?

I was against David Thomas before the championship game, but after watching him block and make some acrobatic catches, i have changed my view. Thomas in the fourth.

I think that the lack of a good TE is really hurting this team. A good TE can be a great security blanket for a QB.

YoungTexanFan said:
I was against David Thomas before the championship game, but after watching him block and make some acrobatic catches, i have changed my view. Thomas in the fourth.

I would be all in favour of this if the Texans draft Vince Young :) I would even consider one of the premier TE's like Pope if the Texans drafted Young he uses them alot when reading the defense & checking off his options. can you imagine all 6050 233 lb Vince Young teaming with 6070 255 lb Leonard Pope :drool:

beerlover said:
I would be all in favour of this if the Texans draft Vince Young :) I would even consider one of the premier TE's like Pope if the Texans drafted Young he uses them alot when reading the defense & checking off his options. can you imagine all 6050 233 lb Vince Young teaming with 6070 255 lb Leonard Pope :drool:

i thought he was 6'8, not that it matters at that height.

I wouldnt mind a Pope, but maybe even a V. Davis if available. He is a physical freak like Young. However, if we wanted to improve our D in the secound and third, maybe even an OG in the second. Davis would still work for me w/one of our thirds or our fourth.

beerlover said:
there is only a small chance that Vernon Davis gets by the Bears when the select in the 1st.

i can actually see the bears taking pope instead...or maybe even lewis. But davis is very possible there or around there.

tulexan said:
I think that the lack of a good TE is really hurting this team. A good TE can be a great security blanket for a QB.

that has been 1 of my reasons for months now. with 2 different TE's teams can pick up on run/pass then their coverages change. When rivers is in there its pass and if Breuner its a run majority of the time. We get A TE that can do both then all of the sudden Carr has a reliable outlet when the D blitzes and that will cause the D to back off into a cover 2. With the 8th man out of the box DD will be able to run freely and prob end the year with 1500-1600 yards next season. Obcourse the O-line needs upgrading too to gaurauntee that.

tulexan said:
Isn't there a pretty good TE from Tulsa?

Yes and the guys name escapes me. He's a very athletic white guy, who I think may have even returned kicks for Tulsa at one time.

Don't be surprised to see as many as 3-4 TEs taken in the first.

I think you guys are thinking about Garrett Mills. I've only seen him play like one or two games. He definitely doesn't have the prototypical TE build. I think he's under 240 or so.

BradK10 said:
think Billy Miller but more athletic

Could be a Frank Wychek/Chris Cooley HB type

ya, but i want a reliable guy who can block. I would love for Olsen to declare, but I could settle w/Lewis, Pope, Davis, Thomas, Kloss...

Honestly guys we likely do not need to use a draft pick on a TE. Now if there is an athletic one in the 5-7th rounds that appeals to the team then I think about taking him. I feel we can get Teyo Johnson or another TE in FA for a cheap price for one year and decide if Joppru is going to be able to play. Rivers, Bruener, Joppru, Johnson. That locks us down for at least next year at TE. Now Rivers and Bruener would likely be shown the door next year. Joppru will also be gone unless he shows something impressive for a rookie. Johnson is the 6'5" receiving TE that can run and catch. He is not an overly good blocker, but we have Bruener so anyway.

Why go after a TE that can't do it all? We had that when Miller was here and that didnt work either.

YoungTexanFan said:
i thought he was 6'8, not that it matters at that height.

I wouldnt mind a Pope, but maybe even a V. Davis if available. He is a physical freak like Young. However, if we wanted to improve our D in the secound and third, maybe even an OG in the second. Davis would still work for me w/one of our thirds or our fourth.

Any literature you find on the net will list Pope as being 6'7", but Pope says he's 6'8". It's really a moot point, though, just look at him play ball. He doesn't strike me as the Shockey / Winslow Jr. type TE, but he's a freakin' tank over the middle and a pretty darn good blocker to boot.

When he and Mario Williams declared I started climbing the fence again, even amidst Youngmania. It would be hard for me not to pull the trigger on a trade that would get me Mario Williams, Leonard Pope, and a couple of extra 1st day picks for 2007 on top of what we already have. But then again, I'd also love to see Reggie Bush in a Texans uniform next season. Decisions, decisions ...

Coach C. said:
Honestly guys we likely do not need to use a draft pick on a TE. Now if there is an athletic one in the 5-7th rounds that appeals to the team then I think about taking him. I feel we can get Teyo Johnson or another TE in FA for a cheap price for one year and decide if Joppru is going to be able to play. Rivers, Bruener, Joppru, Johnson. That locks us down for at least next year at TE. Now Rivers and Bruener would likely be shown the door next year. Joppru will also be gone unless he shows something impressive for a rookie. Johnson is the 6'5" receiving TE that can run and catch. He is not an overly good blocker, but we have Bruener so anyway.

Can't agree on this one coach. None of the guys we have, unless Bennie comes back, are what we need. If Kubiak is our coach, I think Denver uses the TE a LOT...ie. Shannon and his offense is a controlled pass one with an eye to go deep when it presents itself.

edo783 said:
Can't agree on this one coach. None of the guys we have, unless Bennie comes back, are what we need. If Kubiak is our coach, I think Denver uses the TE a LOT...ie. Shannon and his offense is a controlled pass one with an eye to go deep when it presents itself.

I think Marcellus Rivers can be a decent TE, he catches the ball pretty well, he blocks decently, and towards the end of the year he started developing an attitude that I like to see in our players. He doesn't run routes real well yet but then again our coaches have never bothered to make our TEs into receivers, plus he has been a good asset to special teams play, and I think we can resign him for pretty cheap. Bruener is getting old but he's one of the few veteran leaders we have and is still one of the premier blocking TEs in the NFL. I think having Joppru, Rivers, and Bruener would be a decent groups of TEs next year, maybe look for one in free agency or the late rounds of the draft, but I don't see it as an important enough issue to spend anything above a 4th round draft pick on a TE.

MorKnolle said:
I think Marcellus Rivers can be a decent TE, he catches the ball pretty well, he blocks decently, and towards the end of the year he started developing an attitude that I like to see in our players. He doesn't run routes real well yet but then again our coaches have never bothered to make our TEs into receivers, plus he has been a good asset to special teams play, and I think we can resign him for pretty cheap. Bruener is getting old but he's one of the few veteran leaders we have and is still one of the premier blocking TEs in the NFL. I think having Joppru, Rivers, and Bruener would be a decent groups of TEs next year, maybe look for one in free agency or the late rounds of the draft, but I don't see it as an important enough issue to spend anything above a 4th round draft pick on a TE.

Oh, you are correct about Rivers. However, I see his talent to be that of the second TE and not as the primary. Fairly good back up, but not the REAL TE we need IMO. Could we get by for another year with him.....maybe, but I would rather not risk it. We will be keeping Carr and we need to be able to move the ball and score in the red zone and TEs are great for that and even if are winning and he is doing well all the Tsipers will be crying about everything he does. So to shut them up a bit, we need to have a means of hitting something over the middle.

Coach C. said:

There is Tim Day TE Oregon who will be a 3rd round pick. Thats a perfect area for Drafting a TE.

i personally think that that domonique byrd will be a solid fit...everything i saw makes me think he will be like a mike alstott at tight end, get you the tough yards on 3rd down.....i'd be happy if joppru didnt break again though

swtbound07 said:
i personally think that that domonique byrd will be a solid fit...everything i saw makes me think he will be like a mike alstott at tight end, get you the tough yards on 3rd down.....i'd be happy if joppru didnt break again though

I saw that from byrd and thomas in the game. They both impressed me after the catch.

I'm still waiting on super soph. greg olsen to declare.

YoungTexanFan said:
I saw that from byrd and thomas in the game. They both impressed me after the catch.

I'm still waiting on super soph. greg olsen to declare.

agreed...thomas was a beast too...i was afraid to post that for fear of being blasted as an orangeblood though.

swtbound07 said:
agreed...thomas was a beast too...i was afraid to post that for fear of being blasted as an orangeblood though.

I personally hate UT, and USC. I am also not an aggie or anyother team like that. I prefer KU, Bama, and Miami...I'm a legacy at those schools.

swtbound07 said:

you're not an orangeblood, you're a maroon and gold blood swt boy...just like the other thousands of t-shirt Texas fans ;)

I am not a fan of drafting a QB on the first day unless it is a huge need. There are several quality receiving TE in FA. So why not just get a cheap one like Teyo Johnson and go from there till next year. I think we have more immediate needs than TE right now. We should concentrate on the trenches(OL,DL,LB) and the secondary(CB/FS tweener). With that in mind I would not be mad if we got a guy in the 5-7th that turned out to be a solid guy like Jeb Putzier(6 or 7th pick)

Coach C. said:
I am not a fan of drafting a QB on the first day unless it is a huge need. There are several quality receiving TE in FA. So why not just get a cheap one like Teyo Johnson and go from there till next year. I think we have more immediate needs than TE right now. We should concentrate on the trenches(OL,DL,LB) and the secondary(CB/FS tweener). With that in mind I would not be mad if we got a guy in the 5-7th that turned out to be a solid guy like Jeb Putzier(6 or 7th pick)

I think ya meant TE on the first day Coach, but IMO that is where we need to get him. NOT in the 1st or 2nd but likely with the first 3 round pick. We need quality and some one of that sort should be there and we would be paying a LOT less than we would for a similar quality level in a FA. I see the TE as an extension of the O-line that helps both running and passing. You are spot on though, we MUST build the inner core of this team. The OL,DL etc.. It is Soooo easy to get caught up in the hype and flash that we forget what caused a 2-14 season, other than crappy coaching, it was EXTREMILY poor line play and NOTHING in the NFL works if the line doesn't.

BradK10 said:
you're not an orangeblood, you're a maroon and gold blood swt boy...just like the other thousands of t-shirt Texas fans ;)

I hate to burst your bubble. I went to Southwest texas until the end of the spring...then i was kicked out for gpa reasons. I now attend community college in clearwater, Florida. I dont think you can lump me with the rest of swt there chief

swtbound07 said:
I hate to burst your bubble. I went to Southwest texas until the end of the spring...then i was kicked out for gpa reasons. I now attend community college in clearwater, Florida. I dont think you can lump me with the rest of swt there chief

Nice, SWT strikes again. Does anyone graduate from that school?

tulexan said:
He's a Senior, why wouldn't he come out?

Read the bio. He has a year of eligibility left. Another year of Weis coaching could look enticing to him.
I do think we have more pressing needs at #2 but the gurus? are saying he will probably go in the 2 nd. If he is still there with one of our #3s I would surely be tempted to take him there.
But I am unashamedly a biased domer...:love:.. :bowdown:

:coffee:

Back