Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Browns game.

Not having patience is coded to the DNA of the NFL fandom.

That being said, criticism of Mills on this board is rather tepid comparatively speaking to some of the “stuff” being posted about Burrows, Wilson, Lawrence, and Fields on other boards.

One game does not make a career. Mills will have time to develop. He could either be a career back or be a quality starter in this league.
That’s to be expected. They were all high 1sr rounders, except for Wilson, who is freaking awesome.
I get that. I get the criticism.
Mills is a 3rd round pick that some Texan fans subliminally treat like a top 10 pick because he was the 1st pick selected in the draft for HOU and also subliminally blame him for Watson being a perv idiot.
It’s very strange and entertaining at the same time to watch the emotional disdain for him.

I watched all of his first season...lived in Indy at the time. What you are insinuating is correct...even with Manning having a 2/11 TD/Int, Mills is nowhere near where Manning was. Not even in the same universe.

That's not a knock on Mills...the kid did his best. Manning was just a different animal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Alex Smith was drafted 1st overall in 2005. Finished his rookie season with 1 TD and 11 INTs. One of the top 3 worst performances by a rookie QB in league history. 49er fans wrote him off as a colossal bust.

He developed into a pretty good player.

Mills does not have the pedigree and talent to waltz into the league and make it look easy right away.

If he works hard and learns from his mistakes, he will develop into a pretty good QB.

That being said, criticism of Mills on this board is rather tepid comparatively speaking to some of the “stuff” being posted about Burrows, Wilson, Lawrence, and Fields on other boards.

One game does not make a career. Mills will have time to develop. He could either be a career back or be a quality starter in this league.

That surprises me considering those other teams didn't waste their first pick in the draft like the Texans did... :sarcasm:

That’s to be expected. They were all high 1sr rounders, except for Wilson, who is freaking awesome.
Mills is a 3rd round pick that some Texan fans subliminally treat like a top 10 pick because he was the 1st pick selected in the draft for HOU and also subliminally blame him for Watson being a perv idiot.
It’s very strange and entertaining at the same time to watch the emotional disdain for him.

certainly understand the lofty expectations with those QBsz

After this post, I will never make another comment about Watson or Easterby again.

presently, the Texans have 9 picks in the 2022 draft.

3 (from the Saints in Roby trade)
4 (from the Rams in Cooks trade)

I will judge Caserio on the 2022 draft more harshly given the # of picks he currently has in his kit bag.

if the Texans trade Watson and get another 2022 1st round pick and the opportunity presents itself to upgrade at QB, I hope Caserio makes the pick.

i agree that Mills need more time, but please don't bring up Manning's first game, or his rookie season.
I bet you didn't watch much if at all.
I watched it. I watched every Manning game I got a chance to watch. And I’ve been watching the NFL since 84. I know Mills is ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE what Manning was as far as potential or intangibles. I was making a point that saying Mills is garbage after a half of a game he wasn’t supposed to play in is a stupid take.
Maybe you should watch more and learn that little guy.

After this post, I will never make another comment about Watson or Easterby again.

I will judge Caserio on the 2022 draft more harshly given the # of picks he currently has in his kit bag.

if the Texans trade Watson and get another 2022 1st round pick and the opportunity presents itself to upgrade at QB, I hope Caserio makes the pick.
Excellent post. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Love or hate Caserio he was thrown into a terrible spot.
Next years draft will be where he makes or breaks the team and then we can throw our opinions out on the table.
For now, it is what it is.

Google does not have your award winning analysis. I’d like to hear about all the great players (compared to Jags roster) on this team from 2019 that Jags just didn’t have access to despite all their cap space and draft capital.
Only players not counting DW4 from 2019 that I can think of off hand that are in the top half of their positions are Reid, Tunsil, Howard, and Cunningham

You think Texans will pay him like it?
No, I unfortunately see him being traded for a 2nd to a team in need that can make him their long term safety at the trade deadline down the road.
And I hate it cause he’s a freaking awesome player, but I get it cause this team is in a rebuild of sorts and will want the pick.

Google does not have your award winning analysis. I’d like to hear about all the great players (compared to Jags roster) on this team from 2019 that Jags just didn’t have access to despite all their cap space and draft capital.
This is not rocket science. Look up 19' Texans roster and compare to 21' Texans roster. Those 19' players on the 21" roster are players on a 10 - 6 team. And if you want you can look up Jags FA signed in 21' and see if any have been on a 10 - 6 team. Or you cuold just count the number of players on Jags roster who have been on a 10 - 6 team and compare to the Texans roster.

Last edited:
Nobody should have expected Taylor to last the whole season, that's not what he does.

Mills didn't look as horrible as I expected, and I suspect he'll have a better game against the Panthers Thursday, which we'll still lose.

Defense is playing better than last year with less talent. In fact, the whole team is playing better than last year with less talent.

I disagree about more talent. The team is deeper this yr on defense and the OL is much better with Devlin gone. Better RB's too and Tyrod was playing better than the 3rd string QB before he got hurt.

Totally opposite performance. This week we weren’t good on all three stages. We also had too many turnovers and penalties. Add in all the miss tackles.

Yep, they didn't take care of the ball. The Roberts fumble meant they were spotting the Browns, who are a more talented team 7 pts. The Texans aren't talented enough to overcome mistakes like that. Particularly with a guy who has as little experience as Milss does.

I watched it. I watched every Manning game I got a chance to watch. And I’ve been watching the NFL since 84. I know Mills is ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE what Manning was as far as potential or intangibles. I was making a point that saying Mills is garbage after a half of a game he wasn’t supposed to play in is a stupid take.
Maybe you should watch more and learn that little guy.
Well, then you shouldn't have brought up Manning in the first place.
It doesn't add anything to the point you were trying to make.

Yep, they didn't take care of the ball. The Roberts fumble meant they were spotting the Browns, who are a more talented team 7 pts. The Texans aren't talented enough to overcome mistakes like that. Particularly with a guy who has as little experience as Milss does.
They were on par to erase those mistakes unfortunately Tyrod went down. The supposedly most talented Browns defense did not have an answer to Kelly offense with TT at the helm.

Well, then you shouldn't have brought up Manning in the first place.
It doesn't add anything to the point you were trying to make.
The point was you can’t truly judge a player after 2 quarters of play. Manning threw 20+ interceptions in his rookie season. He ended up having a Hall of Fame career. ( Disclaimer: not saying Mills will have that type of career or is in the same atmosphere as Manning) 76 it’s just an example. Nothing more or nothing less.

That one particular member kept saying Mills suck. Give the kid a chance.

The point was you can’t truly judge a player after 2 quarters of play. Manning threw 20+ interceptions in his rookie season. He ended up having a Hall of Fame career. ( Disclaimer: not saying Mills will have that type of career or is in the same atmosphere as Manning) 76 it’s just an example. Nothing more or nothing less.

That one particular member kept saying Mills suck. Give the kid a chance.
I've already said a few times before, Manning's first game was far from bad.
He was actually quite good.
The same goes for his rookie season.
Not every INTs are the same.
When the ball goes right through, or bounce off the receivers' hands, it's not on the QB

There’s no reason to sugar coat his play today. He’s green. Real green. And he looked it. He looks like a rookie quarterback that probably could have used another year in college.

He looked like a QB that needs to develop chemistry with his WR's. The bomb to Cooks where Cooks had to turn around was missed because they need more time to work together. That was an almost great play.

I've already said a few times before, Manning's first game was far from bad.
He was actually quite good.
The same goes for his rookie season.
Not every INTs are the same.
When the ball goes right through, or bounce off the receivers' hands, it's not on the QB
Not talking about his first game. An interception is an interception period. That dont ever put asterisks or what if’s on interception.

He looked like a QB that needs to develop chemistry with his WR's. The bomb to Cooks where Cooks had to turn around was missed because they need more time to work together. That was an almost great play.
Protection was great on that play. He had all day.

In the post game presser Davis said he read it differently than Cooks. He thought Cooks was going to cut in. He didn’t go into why he read it differently.

Not talking about his first game. An interception is an interception period. That dont ever put asterisks or what if’s on interception.
A pass can be recorded as an INT, but it doesn't mean that the QB threw a bad pass or made a poor decision.

A WR that fell down, giving the CB a straight path to the ball to record an INT doesn't mean that the QB threw a bad pass or made a poor decision.

Excellent post. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Love or hate Caserio he was thrown into a terrible spot.
Next years draft will be where he makes or breaks the team and then we can throw our opinions out on the table.
For now, it is what it is.
Why can’t we say something this year about his talent observations? First, your terrible spot point must be emphasized. With that let’s start with the coaching staff. It’s pretty obvious this team is getting excellent coaching throughout. He gave Culley that chance that got him and Culley roasted on this board. Urban Meyer, lol. He has obviously listened to his coaches and has found many players that fit their player profiles for success in their systems. even with what was handed him for draft picks he’s found many contributors, some with potentially high ceilings. He knows LB’s from what I’ve seen. Also P, C, DL, slot receiver, etc and all the while taking out the trash. Really, given what he’s had to work with he put together a competitive and well coached team from scratch in one offseason in today’s NFL. Thats saying something, to put a system in place that can grow as players are added to fit already well defined roles. Edit: and Culley said TT is better now than when he had him in Baltimore. Probably humble DC, you and your coaching staff had everything to do with that.

Last edited:
This is not rocket science. Look up 19' Texans roster and compare to 21' Texans roster. Those 19' players on the 21" roster are players on a 10 - 6 team. And if you want you can look up Jags FA signed in 21' and see if any have been on a 10 - 6 team. Or you cuold just count the number of players on Jags roster who have been on a 10 - 6 team and compare to the Texans roster.

So a long winded way of saying you’re talking out of your rear eh? Here i’ll help you out… who was a big part of the playoff push that is still contributing on this roster… that is way better than a starter on the Jags?

I’m just happy the Texans have an advantage in coaching over our division doormat. Talent is currently even at best.

Texans will be rebuilding in both 2022 and 2023. The 2022 defensive talent, IMHO, brings a lot more impact opportunity from RD1 and RD2 than the QB group. The Texans have needs at every position…..so run with the best talent available at each pick.

Last edited:
Texans will be rebuilding in both 2022 and 2023. The 2022 defensive talent, IMHO, brings a lot more impact opportunity from RD1 and RD2 than the QB group. The Texans have needs in every position…..so run with the best talent available at each pick.
I don't think I agree that a rebuilt need to take that long.
As MrTexan and Steelb had allured to before, and I agreed, but only because it's today's NFL where the average player's caeer is much shorter.
It's now just a short 3.3 years.

Teams have one year to shed the bad contracts and to weed out the players and to start bringing in players that fit with the new scheme right away.

The cap space in 2022 is more than adequate to add more players.

Tunsil represents the 2021 first and second rounder.

Watson, if he nets 2 first rounders, would already level the playing field for NC already.
Anything more and he will be playing with house money.
There are teams that lose a veteran QB without any compensation like the Pats, the Saints, the Chargers (Rivers) to name a few.

IMO, the only way I can see NC get a partial pass in 2022 is that Watson does not bring any return at all.

Last edited:
I noticed the Brown's O-line getting away with a lot of holds on those big runs.

Mills may be decent one day, but he's not ready to be a back up. He still didn't have the timing right on a crossing route within our own red zone, which was predictably picked off.

I'm more comfortable with a loss by a well coached Culley team than any result from a sloppy O'Brien team that was propped up by three or four elite players.

I liked how the D focussed on keeping Garrett quiet, allowing Clowney to do what he could, which was a decent stat line but not a huge effect on the game.

I liked just how good the O looked under Taylor, I actually commented in my game day chat fb group a thought of whether the O would look as efficient if DW4 was running it, Taylor certainly doesn’t invite the negative plays the Watson does.

And that brings me back to the feeling I have knowing that Taylor has hamstring issues which I’m sure CnD is going to warn us are likely to plague him all year now.

Mills doesn’t look ready, probably should have been an IR stash this season. Let’s see how he does under live fire but it looked concerning early. Would be better with Driskell and not let Mills learn coping strategies if there is anything there worth working with in the future.

I didn't think he was going to be ready to play this season. At the end of the preseason I didn't think he was ready. After watching him yesterday I didn't think he was ready.

But Culley & Nick see something you & I don't.

Mills at this point does better when he doesn’t have to read the D, plays that quickly attack the defense, when he makes reads right now the defense dictates its will on him.

And this tendency that he has where he tries to make a play no matter how tight the defender is on the receiver must be squashed quickly.

Those guys were first round, top 3 picks, except for Fields, who are expected to not only be franchise QBs but future HoFers. Hell some were saying Lawrence was the best college QB the draft had ever seen. Mills was a round 3 pick by a team that was just happy to have picks after some of the deals made. Anyone who is even remotely comparing Mills to any of them has extremely unrealistic expectations.

I didn't think he was going to be ready to play this season. At the end of the preseason I didn't think he was ready. After watching him yesterday I didn't think he was ready.

But Culley & Nick see something you & I don't.

What they see is that Taylor went down and they can’t play Watson. Pretty sure they didn’t think he was ready either but you go to war with the army you have.

Saw that to and thought he could have caught that if he understood how Mills throws better and what to expect. Seems that he didn’t even go for it because he was surprised it was even there.

Why can’t we say something this year about his talent observations? First, your terrible spot point must be emphasized. With that let’s start with the coaching staff. It’s pretty obvious this team is getting excellent coaching throughout. He gave Culley that chance that got him and Culley roasted on this board. Urban Meyer, lol. He has obviously listened to his coaches and has found many players that fit their player profiles for success in their systems. even with what was handed him for draft picks he’s found many contributors, some with potentially high ceilings. He knows LB’s from what I’ve seen. Also P, C, DL, slot receiver, etc and all the while taking out the trash. Really, given what he’s had to work with he put together a competitive and well coached team from scratch in one offseason in today’s NFL. Thats saying something, to put a system in place that can grow as players are added to fit already well defined roles. Edit: and Culley said TT is better now than when he had him in Baltimore. Probably humble DC, you and your coaching staff had everything to do with that.

Sorry to jump in here. Caserio had a monumental task when he was hired.

No 1st and 2nd round picks. Players that want/wanted out. Andre Johnson, THE Texans legend, stepped away from his advisory role after publicly criticizing the team.

Given the deck he was handed, Caserio for the most part played his cards pretty well. I am not particularly fond of the Roby trade.

I agree that hiring Culley was a shrewd move that is paying immediate dividends. The cultural paradigm of the Texans shifted in the right direction with the hiring of the coaching staff.

Culley has less talent to work with than OB did but the Texans now seem well more prepared to play.

Back