Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Tailgate Nazis

I can handle the heat, but what dum ass decided hey we going to leave the roof open and it is 84 outside the stadium at game time and still decide to wear our Dark uniforms. Shouldn't the HOME team switch to the white to help with that home field advantage...:thinking:

My wife and I were in the sun sweating our asses off. We stayed the whole game though. Regardless, it was a stupid decision. And Joe, you are wrong. I'd love to see some proof that we wouldn't even have a roof if it weren't for the Rodeo. I call BS on that one.

Well I was in the Bull Pen and it was hot, but I took my jersey off wearing my wife beater, turned my hat facing forward, pulled my pollarized shades out of my pocket, drank plenty of beer to stay hydrated, and I was A-OK! Honestly I didnt even break a sweat.:kingkong:

Monopoly? I'm sorry the Texans do not have a monopoly.

If you want to watch NFL football in Houston they do.

There was a whole different attitude in the yellow lot. We ran across Mr. Jerolds and he was very nice this week. The attendants didn't appear to take as much pleasure in doing their jobs and they moved the stupid cones so that finding a parking spot wasn't such an ordeal.

The tailgaiting was great as usual.

I would like to say thanks to Uncle BoB and the rest of the Texans org for listening to their fan base and making the needed corrections.

Well, the roof policy needs to be adhered to. Period. The stadium was built with a major flaw. There is NO circulation of air when the roof is open(generally) and the sun is bearing down on the fans creates a stagnant air atmosphere, basically like being in a terrarium.

I do like the brightness of when the roof is open, but I was shocked it was open vs kc. Hopefully and it will happen, even with global warming(!) as the season progresses it will cool off.
Go Texans!

One would think if they are so strict about their rules they made for the parking lot, they would be just as compliant of the rule they made for the roof!!!!! I think the top temp is 80??????84 at 11:30.......103 sitting in your seat in the sun! We were not happy and had to leave. Just saying! Thanks Bob!!!

Indeed, thank Bob!! If not for him, you wouldn't have been to game to ***** about in the first place. Perspective!

Thanks Bob, for honoring our military!!! Thanks Golden Knights, your display of professionalism was magnificent!!!

My wife and I were in the sun sweating our asses off. We stayed the whole game though. Regardless, it was a stupid decision. And Joe, you are wrong. I'd love to see some proof that we wouldn't even have a roof if it weren't for the Rodeo. I call BS on that one.

No, he's right. They had a say in it when they originally planned the stadium. The Rodeo is big business and they always get their way. Remember how the roof magically got fixed right before Rodeo season after Ike?

You're wrong for calling BS, because Joe is right. It was because of Rodeo's performances and the need to hang speakers and video boards that the roof was necessary. Proof is in the history.

But here it is in black and white if you need it:

Retractable Roof

One of most notable aspects of the design is the operable fabric roof. While the NFL prefers to play in open-air stadiums, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has strict requirements to hold its events indoors under more controlled environments, and the Rodeo hangs massive speakers and video screens from the roof to enhance its rodeo and concert events. As a result of these opposing ideals, the need for a retractable roof was apparent from the start. The NFL could also take advantage of the roof during the hot pre-season and early season home games by offering a fully air-conditioned stadium for the spectators.

After studying multiple roof schemes, a uniquely simple solution was pursued for cost and maintenance reasons. The operable roof consists of two large panels that bi-part at the 50-yard line. Each panel slides on a track and rests over each end on two massive supertrusses that span the length of the field. It takes approximately 10 minutes to open or close the roof.

Linkage: HLS&R

No, he's right. They had a say in it when they originally planned the stadium. The Rodeo is big business and they always get their way. Remember how the roof magically got fixed right before Rodeo season after Ike?

Absolutely. Actually Rodeo draws a helluva lot more people than the Texans do over 10 dates.

Interesting. Then how come they don't have their own stadium? Probably because the rodeo isn't a big TV draw.

Because that would make absolutely no sense, nor would it be fiscally viable. That and you bring up a really good point about TV dollars.

To recap:
Rodeo - 21 dates + a couple of matinee shows
Texans - 10 dates.

I just looked up HLS&R's attendance figures from earlier this year. They drew more than 2,000,000 people. The Texans with 10 dates x ~72,000 = ~ 720,000.

You're wrong for calling BS, because Joe is right. It was because of Rodeo's performances and the need to hang speakers and video boards that the roof was necessary. Proof is in the history.

Pwned.jpg

:texflag:

It was hot as Hades, the wife could not stand it. We left after the third quarter.
The wife ditched the jersey by the end of the first quarter and rarely stood during the game. To her credit, she hung in there till it was over. I lost 3.5 pounds of water weight.

Well, the roof policy needs to be adhered to. Period. The stadium was built with a major flaw. There is NO circulation of air when the roof is open(generally) and the sun is bearing down on the fans creates a stagnant air atmosphere, basically like being in a terrarium.

I do like the brightness of when the roof is open, but I was shocked it was open vs kc. Hopefully and it will happen, even with global warming(!) as the season progresses it will cool off.
Go Texans!
Yeah, it's the dead air that makes it worse. True open-air stadiums have far better circulation.

I wasn't trying to pwn anyone, I just spent 24+ months on that project (from initial design through punch lists)... Sat in on meetings with Steve Patterson (then, Senior Vice President Texans) and Peter Justl (Hermes Reed Architects)... I know a little bit of the history! :gun:

I wasn't trying to pwn anyone, I just spent 24+ months on that project (from initial design through punch lists)... Sat in on meetings with Steve Patterson (then, Senior Vice President Texans) and Peter Justl (Hermes Reed Architects)... I know a little bit of the history! :gun:

But how often do I have a chance to post a picture like that?

Rep to both of you if possible. I just figured we would have a roof on the stadium anyway due to the weather in Houston. Thanks for the clarification.

Rep to both of you if possible. I just figured we would have a roof on the stadium anyway due to the weather in Houston. Thanks for the clarification.

Just remember bro, before the Dome, the Oilers played outdoors at both Rice Stadium and Robertson (then Jeppesen) Stadium and the Colt .45's played outdoors at Colt Stadium.

Interesting bit of history regarding Colt Stadium. It was completely dismantled, shipped and re-constructed in Mexico. :D

I'm beginning to think that the asshole :: golf cart ratio is higher than asshole :: normal person ratio.

Indeed, thank Bob!! If not for him, you wouldn't have been to game to ***** about in the first place. Perspective!

Thanks Bob, for honoring our military!!! Thanks Golden Knights, your display of professionalism was magnificent!!!

Or just make Military Day on a cooler day if wanna have em parachute in...better yet, just have em zip line in, or run across the field say "hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut....ala The Blue Brothers.

Or just make Military Day on a cooler day if wanna have em parachute in...better yet, just have em zip line in, or run across the field say "hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut, hut....ala The Blue Brothers.

I love Military Day, look forward to it every year as it is the best added-value "on field" they do IMO. But if it entails opening of the roof, I like your idea. It just makes too much sense.

I lasted until the half then watched the rest of the game in the Bullpen Pub! Would have been happier in my seats, but, I will not complain about last Sunday. Military Day is my fav, and watching those paratroopers reminds me so much of my brother who belonged to the 101st. It's emotional and very heart warming to watch them do their thang. Hopefully, they will make in later in the year next year, if we have a NEXT year, and everyone will be happy.

People comment all the time about the 50-80 rule. At one of the games last year it was 76 outside, open roof, and the temp in the Bullpen was 110+. The sun reflects off the removable seats, and the color is dark blue. Plus, as has been mentioned a hundred times, there is NO air flow in the lower section. I don't complain anymore, got tired of being ragged on so much by members of this board. If I can't take the heat, I'll move to a cooler area. Sorry that my section, which is suppose to be the FAN ZONE for the Texans, will be 80% empty. Reliant is NOT AN OPEN AIR STADIUM!!! It's simply a domed stadium with a hole in the roof.

Do the stadiums like LucasOil, U of Phnx, and others with that big ole window open or is that for show? Not sure if those types of designs should've been used instead of the kind we got or if even could support something like the rodeo. Nevertheless, we got what we got and the roof is open when its hot, hey, just retrofit some mists sprays and blow the AC colder.

FOR GWALLAIA:

Any suggestions on how the Texans could fix Reliant Stadium? Massive oscilliating fans? Misting options without getting certain fans too soaked... unless we put them over the seats that are owned by brokers? I KNOW something CAN be done. That is the wonder of the human brain so architecturize that brain of yours, man!!!

Unfortunately, the NFL has the last say. I believe a team has up to 90 mins before the game to make a decision to open or close the roof. After the decision is made, they cannot change it unless the refs agree. I think nasty weather would be the only reason. Lightening and that sort of thing.

Or unless a balloon wipes out a transformer.

this week we were in the yellow lot, and arrived about 8:15-8:30. At the gate they asked to see our tix (didn't do that for the Giants) and then I swear, every 10 or 15 mins someone in a golf cart drove right by to see what we're all doing. It's just the hubby and I, we didn't even HAVE a radio. Just our gear, and when people really started showing up, we moved the beanbag toss so folks could park. It bugged me being watched so closely. After the game, no one said anything, but again, they kept driving by. I think we finally pulled out at something like 4:45, but I also didn't look at my watch. We went back, pulled the grill back out, played ball, ate, and left. Personally, I wish the lots would open sooner, and stay open later. As much $$ as people spend, we oughta be able to enjoy ourselves. Not like Reliant has something planned for 7:00 after a game!

this week we were in the yellow lot, and arrived about 8:15-8:30. At the gate they asked to see our tix (didn't do that for the Giants) and then I swear, every 10 or 15 mins someone in a golf cart drove right by to see what we're all doing. It's just the hubby and I, we didn't even HAVE a radio. Just our gear, and when people really started showing up, we moved the beanbag toss so folks could park. It bugged me being watched so closely. After the game, no one said anything, but again, they kept driving by. I think we finally pulled out at something like 4:45, but I also didn't look at my watch. We went back, pulled the grill back out, played ball, ate, and left. Personally, I wish the lots would open sooner, and stay open later. As much $$ as people spend, we oughta be able to enjoy ourselves. Not like Reliant has something planned for 7:00 after a game!

^^^^^^^TOTALLY AGREE^^^^^^^

I personally do the same reheat after the game waiting for traffic to die down.. then pack it up and head out.. but in maroon.. they cops are not that bad.. they come by and let you know to pack it up bout 30 min before they shut down... but it has taken them 3yrs to be cool about the warning..:clown:

It was pretty damn hot but I had a lot of fun. I stayed in my seat in the sun for all but about 10-15 mins standing at the top of the stairs between Sect 115 and 116 in the 3rd quarter, after retreating to the shade during halftime. When the shade hit in the 4th quarter it was like heaven!

My father in law had spent about half the game on the smoker's deck in the shade watching on TV, it was good excuse for him after got real hot.

I love how good that A/C feels after tailgating so I'd prefer to have it closed when its hot but I understand why they made the exception this go around. I am also of the opinion it could be open no matter how cold it gets, football in fall/winter is a blast. I loved it when it was cold and even rained a bit at that Chicago game the season Ike hit.

I am also of the opinion it could be open no matter how cold it gets, football in fall/winter is a blast. I loved it when it was cold and even rained a bit at that Chicago game the season Ike hit.

I did the Green Bay/Texans game a few years back...ZERO at kick off. Loved it.

Bottom line for us is Reliant has a crappy design. Houston always tries to be first in the dome/retractible roof game so we end up with the worst design in the end.

Thankfully I am in the shade...watching all you bull pen members bake.

I did the Green Bay/Texans game a few years back...ZERO at kick off. Loved it.

Bottom line for us is Reliant has a crappy design. Houston always tries to be first in the dome/retractible roof game so we end up with the worst design in the end.

Thankfully I am in the shade...watching all you bull pen members bake.

I was there and was just discussing my experience with a co worker today. Cold weather and football were made for one another.

I was there and was just discussing my experience with a co worker today. Cold weather and football were made for one another.

I didn't go to GB, but, I totally agree cold weather and football go together. I watch all those "cold weather" teams play in the rain and snow and envy their fans. I know, sounds dumb, but, that's the type of game I enjoy. I'll never see either at Reliant! I sat through a friggin monsoon in KC last year and it was a BLAST, and that was in August. LOVE the rain and cold, but, hate the heat!!

I tried that cold weather thing once in "the Nati"!! It sucked!! It was brutally cold, and the chunks of ice hitting me in the back of my dome, didn't help!!

Then again, after a while, the chunks of ice warmed me up a little. IN fact, they heated me up a bunch! :bat:

No, seriously that stuff aside, it was brutally cold for me... I am a tropical people!

Yeah you do.... FILO launched a UFO that took out a transformer, which shut down part of the video boards, sideline lights and many other electronics that day!! :D

I think we have all heard this story a few dozen times or more.

Dude had a big balloon tied up outside. During the game the wind blew it into a transformer causing a little stress on the system.

Anymore details I should've posted...? Feel free to pile on.

Dude had a big balloon tied up outside. During the game the wind blew it into a transformer causing a little stress on the system.

Feeling sensitive today?

Midol may help.:kitten:

I haven't heard it. Gimme the fun version. I am already laughing.

Back