Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Superbowl in 2009-2010

gtexan02

Working?
Arizona is a team with a young head coach, a high powered offense, and a suspect defense.

They were 8-8 in 2007
They are in the superbowl in 2008-2009

If they can do it, "Anything is possible"

If a team like Arizona can make it to the superbowl, there is zero reason you can give me that we shouldn't expect to make it there as well.

Superbowl or bust in 2009. Anything else is a failure

We're still short a few coaches, haven't made it through free agency or the draft and we're talking super bowl already? I'd say play offs or bust next year, but I'll hold off on the super bowl until I see us actually play a few games.

I never really believed in quick turn-arounds until this year.

A 1-15 team won their division and made the playoffs
A team picking 3rd in the NFL draft last year won 11 games with a rookie QB and HC
A team that won 5 games last year and started a rookie QB this year might be in the superbowl
A team that won 9 games all year and ended the season on a string of blowouts is in the superbowl. Their combined record over the last 5 seasons is close to ours

This "it takes time" argument is crap, and I see that now. Teams dont need 10 years of careful building and coaching. They don't need years and years to gel.

They need good coaching, healthy players, and a supportive home field advantage. We were 8-8 last year. The cardinals are in the superbowl. Anything can happen

Superbowl or bust in 2009. Anything else is a failure.

Well, if that's the way you want to look at things next season . . . prepare to be disappointed.

Look at how many years it took the Cardinals to get there.

And it doesn't matter what the previous season's W-L was.

Would have to invest a lot of picks in the offense to see immediate returns:

C
G
WR
Power HB
Return man

Following the Cardinals model of building an offense and taping together a defense is the only viable option for the Texans to be a real playoff team. All the defense lovers will have to accept that our D will be terrible.

Arizona is a team with a young head coach, a high powered offense, and a suspect defense.

They were 8-8 in 2007

If a team like Arizona can make it to the superbowl, there is zero reason you can give me that we shouldn't expect to make it there as well.

The down side to that is that the Cardinals haven't won a division championship since 1975. 33 years isn't such a fast turn around.

On the plus side, given healthy, relatively talented players and coaches plus the right calls or wrong calls in your favor, very few turnovers, the ball bouncing in your favor, peaking at exactly the right time, and a home field advantage - yes, we could make it to the Super Bowl next year.

My personal goal for this team is a winning season first, playoffs second,(both happening in 2009), and then I'll think about the Super Bowl.

Its a wait and see on the cards IMO

Just like the seahawks that went to the playoffs every year even the SB once but never won the big one

what iam trying to say is its easy to make playoffs every year when u play inthe NFC west where all 4 teams have a chance anything can happen

Not in our divison colts have been kings for a long time

it took the jags a long time just 2 be second

and the titans have only one like 2 divison crowns i think much of it in the late 90's

Arizona has been nothing short of phenomenal this post-season but they don't make the playoffs in the AFC South this season. I have been rooting for them hard because I think we have some similarities in personnel and lack of historical success. With Bush as our D-coordinator I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to what I saw today but we are going to have to be better in the regular season than Arizona had to be in order to have a shot at the SB. I mean unless we have an offseason that totally blows me away I think I will expect about 10 wins from the Texans next season and that will at best be a coin flip chance to get a WC slot.

My only question is how many of the quick turnaround are sustained for more then just one hit wonders?

One thing that you can point out with each of those teams is consistent QB play and good running games. Our offense is good enough to get us into the playoffs but our defense isn't obviously. We can all demand this team makes the playoffs but that doesn't mean it is going to happen. How about an 11-5 Pats team that lost their MVP QB and didn't make they playoffs? Being patient doesn't mean you're accepting mediocrity.

They were 8-8 in 2007

Expect...?

The Eagles and the Cards each won one game more than the Texans did this year and they made it to the conference championship game. One game. Now we weren't gonna make it at 9-7 in our division/conference, but it's interesting to see these teams that weren't "elite" during the regular season get hot in the post season and go all the way.

They were 8-8 in 2007

I agree with your post. The Cardinals give the Texans hope that they are that close to just getting to the playoffs. The Cardinals were 8-8 last year. The only thing is they play in a much weaker division than the Texans do. It will be more difficult for the Texans to even get into the dance. Then again if we would have won the games that we should have, we might have made the playoffs instead of the Colts this year. Anyway I like the glass half full view gtexan!:texflag:

This is what fans can only hope for....and hope is a good thing.

C
G
WR
Power HB
Return man

Following the Cardinals model of building an offense and taping together a defense is the only viable option for the Texans to be a real playoff team. All the defense lovers will have to accept that our D will be terrible.

Are you mentally handicapped? The offense isn't the problem its the D

Are you mentally handicapped? The offense isn't the problem its the D

The D will still suck after this draft.

Draft offense and built upon the strength. Add depth to the line and skill positions. The offense is going to have to carry the team anyways.

Draft offense and built upon the strength. Add depth to the line and skill positions. The offense is going to have to carry the team anyways.

Well that's one opinion. Another is the talent was underutilized (and now we have a new DC) and 2-3 new players through FA and the draft could make a huge difference. Just getting up to the 12-15 range would be a huge difference and would let the O go be the O.

Saying we need another WR is just ignorant.

Folks are being silly about JJ. With all his foibles, he only lost one fumble ended with the 4th best average for regular punt returners--oh and was one of only 4 players to have 2 or more returns for TD's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox

A bad D can turn into an average defense in one season. We need to draft defensive players

This is the worst post ive seen on this subject. You talk about following the Cardinals model for building, when they drafted defense heavy this past draft with defensive picks in 1, 2, 4, and 6.

You wanna know why the Cards are winning playoff games this year? Good defense, good coaching and consistent QB play by Kurt.

So many of you just assume that every player we have is playing up to their full potential, and so our team is not "elite" and therefore can't compete with the top teams.

Did you skip the part of my post wehre I mentioned a 1-15 team made the playoffs one year later? or that a 5-11 team after a year is battling for the superbowl with a rookie QB?

Maybe some players are crappy, but the vast majority of people don't make it to the NFL if they don't ahve what it takes in some system/form. Scouts are too good. The reason so many people end up playing crappy is:
1) They don't have the right attitude
2) They are being misutilized/poorly coached

Attitude comes with winning. And obviously coaching on defense is osmething we've been lacking

A team that went 1-15 made some minor changes and won their division. The AFC East, by the way.

Show me one person who said the Dolphins would win that division this year, and I'll be shocked. The Pats were 16-0. The Dolphins were 1-15. Come on. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. Maybe I should bold it.

Who cares about the titans, jags, and colts. Anything can happen. The Cardinals just made the Superbowl. 2009-2010 is Superbowl or bust

Folks are being silly about JJ. With all his foibles, he only lost one fumble ended with the 4th best average for regular punt returners--oh and was one of only 4 players to have 2 or more returns for TD's.

I didn't realize that, but then again, I don't want or expect that every time we line up to receive a punt, you hold your breath that he doesn't juggle it, catch it over his shoulder (saw that once this season), or fumble it away.

A team that went 1-15 made some minor changes and won their division. The AFC East, by the way.

Show me one person who said the Dolphins would win that division this year, and I'll be shocked. The Pats were 16-0. The Dolphins were 1-15. Come on. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. Maybe I should bold it.

Who cares about the titans, jags, and colts. Anything can happen. The Cardinals just made the Superbowl. 2009-2010 is Superbowl or bust

The AFC East got to play the NFC West and the AFC West this year which skewed their win total quite a bit. I know Matt Cassel played well but he is no Tom Brady. All of these turnarounds are not the norm. They are great stories because they do not happen all the time and when they do happen there is a unique set of circumstances for each story. We cannot just say hey, it happened to them and so that is what we should expect, its a poor argument. What about when we finally break through and have a great season, should we expect the next season to be a disaster? It happened to the Jaguars/Seahawks/Packers etc. so it must be going to happen to us too!

I never really believed in quick turn-arounds until this year.

A 1-15 team won their division and made the playoffs
A team picking 3rd in the NFL draft last year won 11 games with a rookie QB and HC
A team that won 5 games last year and started a rookie QB this year might be in the superbowl
A team that won 9 games all year and ended the season on a string of blowouts is in the superbowl. Their combined record over the last 5 seasons is close to ours

This "it takes time" argument is crap, and I see that now. Teams dont need 10 years of careful building and coaching. They don't need years and years to gel.

They need good coaching, healthy players, and a supportive home field advantage. We were 8-8 last year. The cardinals are in the superbowl. Anything can happen

The Cardinals have played very well over the past few games but lets look at this with a little perspective. Who would you rather be right now: The Pittsburgh Steelers who are a perennial contender or the Arizona Cardinals who for much of their history have been perennial losers. Even if you take just the last 5-10 years, the Steelers have been contenders is most of those seasons. The Cardinals have been a contender once (this year). The Steelers built their team up steadily by drafting well and having a solid game plan.

Lets take another perspective. Who have been the contenders in the last 10 years? Patriots, Colts, Giants, Steelers, etc. All these teams were built steadily by drafting well and making sound FA moves. When the Pats got away from that plan and started going after big name FAs it bit them in the butt(see Moss and A. Thomas signings).

These are the teams we should want to emulate. Those that are bult solidly and then compete for years. Perhaps Arizona will too, but they may be another Seattle, Oakland, or Atlanta...

The AFC East got to play the NFC West and the AFC West this year which skewed their win total quite a bit. I know Matt Cassel played well but he is no Tom Brady. All of these turnarounds are not the norm. They are great stories because they do not happen all the time and when they do happen there is a unique set of circumstances for each story. We cannot just say hey, it happened to them and so that is what we should expect, its a poor argument. What about when we finally break through and have a great season, should we expect the next season to be a disaster? It happened to the Jaguars/Seahawks/Packers etc. so it must be going to happen to us too!

That's right... and next season we get to play the NFC West and probably won't have our season interrupted by a monster hurricane and open the season at Pitt, at Tennessee. Also, our division rivals are unraveling a bit. Indy lost its head coach and is aging. Tennessee lost its DC and has a lot to do this off-season. We're young and improving- not to mention we just replaced arguably the worst DC in the NFL.

Nobody is predicting a Superbowl. The point, though, is valid. What teams like Arizona, Miami, Baltimore, Atlanta were able to accomplish this season should give fans of the Texans hope. The recipe for a special season is there for the Texans: coaching changes, weaker schedule, youth, draft, FA, weakening division.... they just have to do it. We'll see!

C
G
WR
Power HB
Return man

1.) Raji DT to stop the run.
2.) Unger C/OT or Mack C strengthen the middle of the line for short yardage
3.) Clay Mathews OLB/DE playmaker on D
4.) Gatrell Johnson RB short yardage back
5.) Jarret Dillard WR our Wes Welker.
6.) Gregg Isdaner G depth
7.) Kevin Ellison FS
F.A.) T Suggs DE to pressure the QB

There, both O and D improved. Offense is now finished. We have our power runner for short yardage and our OL is now beefed up in the middle and has more depth. Dillard gives us another sure handed target to add to our recieving corps. Suggs and Raji complete our DL making us better against the run and pass. We now have the ability to get to the QB with our front 4 (Williams, Raji, Okoye, Suggs) which instantly improves our secondary and allows our speedy LB corps (Adibi, Ryans, Mathews) to make big plays.

Last edited:
The Cards were 8-8 and made the playoffs.

The Patriots were 11-5 and did not make the playoffs.

If we were in the same conference and division we might have made the playoffs this year. As we were playing a lot better at the end of the year and playing their schedule we might be in the same position.

But their fans have waited a whole lot longer than we have to get there. Is't it around 70 years for the Cards to get to the Superbowl.

This Superbowl or bust next year for us is just dumb.

If we were in the same conference and division we might have made the playoffs this year. As we were playing a lot better at the end of the year and playing their schedule we might be in the same position.

But their fans have waited a whole lot longer than we have to get there. Is't it around 70 years for the Cards to get to the Superbowl.

Yup...I think it's 66 years they were saying on T.V., although may be misremembering on that.

The Superbowl is always achievable, especially when we've been .500 for the past 2 years, although the stumbling block for us remains that damn AFC South. Just when the Colts go and slow down a little bit, the Tacks pick it up and get themselves a playoff load of wins. That is our first focus...getting a winning record against the divisional opponents. Then we can start dreaming of Superbowl. Alongside that, we're working on the assumption that we're going to be good enough to up our game, as is needed for a playoff game. But either way, its possible, with the talent on our team, and all we can do after thsi year is keep the faith.

The Cardinals benefit from playing in the NFC. The best teams in the league
are in the AFC. That means the Texans have to go thru MANY more tough
teams than any team in the NFC to make the SuperBowl.

I'll tell you this...

If the Texans get past the Indies, Steelers, Titans, Ravens, Chargers, of the
world and go to the SuperBowl, they WILL be favored to win.

If memory serves me correct, when our franchise was beginning, our team was supposed to go into this NFC West division but our owner elected for us to go into the AFC so that we could have the instant rivlary with Tenn, and historic rivalry of Houston/Pittsburgh could be rehashed.

If that's true, boy it would've been nice to be in the NFC West.

Superbowl? I'd be happy with a first round loss in the play-offs.

I won't be happy with 8-8 and missing the play-offs, no matter how improved that 8-8 is.

If memory serves me correct, when our franchise was beginning, our team was supposed to go into this NFC West division but our owner elected for us to go into the AFC so that we could have the instant rivlary with Tenn, and historic rivalry of Houston/Pittsburgh could be rehashed.

If that's true, boy it would've been nice to be in the NFC West.

But using that thought process, the Texans having an easier go at life and all, would we still have David Carr here?

The alternate history thing is a staple of sci-fi, and always interesting to talk about in any circumstances. LOL

The culture of losing this team has created is rooted deeply, I see. The infection has spread to the fanbase

Im not saying "If the Texans don't make it to the superbowl next year, wholesale changes are needed"

Only 2 teams make it to the superbowl every year. I realize that its very difficult for everything to work out in your favor.

What I'm saying is that if Arizona can make it, so can we.

"Any Given Sunday" applies in this league.

You play to win the game. If you aren't hoping for a superbowl win, what the hell is the point? Hoping for a winning season is just accepting the low expectations this franchise has dumped on us since its inception. A 1-15 team won the AFC East the next year. The Cardinals are in the superbowl.

We have 17 weeks next year to ***** and moan about how poor our team is.

Right now, we should all be full of hope. Its ok to dare to dream

After watching the Capers/Casserly era, I've grown to be cautiously optimistic with most things involving the Texans. I really like the Kubiak/Smith combo and am in favor of building through the draft, building the trenches first, resigning current Texans instead of going after high priced FAs at this point or trying for quick fixes. I want them to build it right so we can win our division consistently . Make the playoffs consistently. Not just peak one year and make the playoffs.

While I don't think we should have the mindset of Super Bowl or bust, I think gtexan has very valid points. There's too many for me to repeat, but the main premice is 'anythying can happen'. Our team IS good enough to go on a roll, make a few upsets and surprise some people. We're not where I want this team to be, from a fully developed standpoint but we're close.

Looking ahead to our schedule, it isn't anything too scary (right now). Teams change from year to year, so its hard to know exactly who could be really good and who could crater. Right now, I like our schedule and we're playing against teams/division that some of you are arguing are weak and have it easy. Well we're playing them so we should win. Our division is up in the air right now. The arguement, 'you don't know how teams may turnaround so you can't accurately get a good grasp on our schedule'? Well we could be that team. We could be the Cardinals. Their defense as a whole is playing better than their players are individually. They've got a high powered passing attack led by a QB that doesn't make many mental mistakes.

We could easily see the addition of a couple players on defense, a new passion of them being pissed off- led by the coaching changes and veterans on our D that step up and become pissed/vocal. On offense, a key area rests on Matt Schaub, if this is the year he can stay healthy and 'get it' when it comes to decision making.. he can easily have 30 TDs to 14 INTs like Warner. Andre Johnson could be the league leader in TDs, Slaton could be a top 5/10 RB like he was this year.

If you want to see a team make a leap, why not the Texans in 2009? They've got everything going for them.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Superbowl or bust next year is too extreme. Even not making it to the playoffs is no reason to ditch the front office; if we finish 10-6 (or 9-7) next year and don't make the playoffs, I think that we should keep Smithiak.

But, your facts are slightly skewed. The CHARGERS made it into the playoffs with an 8-8 record. The Cardinals made it in with a 9-7 record.

And I totally agree with you on your other points.

yeah superbowl or bust next year is to extreame for my texans LOL

i cant have that much faith after we lost to the raiders LOL

i just hope we get into the playoffs has a wildcard LOL

wildcard or bust is more of a relaity

So many of you just assume that every player we have is playing up to their full potential, and so our team is not "elite" and therefore can't compete with the top teams.

Did you skip the part of my post wehre I mentioned a 1-15 team made the playoffs one year later? or that a 5-11 team after a year is battling for the superbowl with a rookie QB?

Maybe some players are crappy, but the vast majority of people don't make it to the NFL if they don't ahve what it takes in some system/form. Scouts are too good. The reason so many people end up playing crappy is:
1) They don't have the right attitude
2) They are being misutilized/poorly coached

Attitude comes with winning. And obviously coaching on defense is osmething we've been lacking

That 5-11 team won a Super Bowl earlier this decade with the same two first-ballot Hall of Famers leading the way that led them this year. In fact, the year before that 5-11 record, they went 13-3. The Ravens were hardly a downtrodden team--they were a good team coming off a bad season.

The 1-15 team made more than "minor changes". They went 1-15 with Cleo Lemen either handing the ball to Samkon Gado or throwing it to Greg Camarillo. Then, in the offseason, their star TB healed, their very good other TB got off the weed, an excellent QB practically fell out of the sky, and they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4. A rather momentous offseason, to be sure, but I'm not sure it was one that could be duplicated--barring, of course, another Brett Favre ego supernova.

The Cardinals are a classic "got hot at the right time" team. They went 6-0 against their own cruddy division while going 3-7 (most of those losses by blowouts) against everyone else. The only playoff team they beat was a pre-Wildcat Dolphin squad in week 2, and they didn't beat anyone outside their division after the sixth week of the season. Until the playoffs, of course. If we switched places with the Cardinals (division and schedule), they'd have been playing golf the past three weeks while we would have been the playoff team.

Nobody is saying that a SB run is impossible for us. But setting the bar for "not a failure" at the Super Bowl for our young team next year is silly anywhere except on an anonymous message board.

1.) Raji DT to stop the run.
2.) Unger C/OT or Mack C strengthen the middle of the line for short yardage
3.) Clay Mathews OLB/DE playmaker on D
4.) Gatrell Johnson RB short yardage back
5.) Jarret Dillard WR our Wes Welker.
6.) Gregg Isdaner G depth
7.) Kevin Ellison FS
F.A.) T Suggs DE to pressure the QB

There, both O and D improved. Offense is now finished. We have our power runner for short yardage and our OL is now beefed up in the middle and has more depth. Dillard gives us another sure handed target to add to our recieving corps. Suggs and Raji complete our DL making us better against the run and pass. We now have the ability to get to the QB with our front 4 (Williams, Raji, Okoye, Suggs) which instantly improves our secondary and allows our speedy LB corps (Adibi, Ryans, Mathews) to make big plays.
I like the Suggs idea, just not as a DE in a 4-3. He's too small for that but would fit perfectly as an OLB. I noticed during the Steelers-Ravens games that there were several downs where Baltimore employed a 4-3 and Suggs was playing the weakside linebacker. If Frank Bush keeps to his word of wanting to play more aggressive, having a linebacker of Suggs' caliber to be the 5 rusher could be what this defense needs. He's capable of making plays verse the pass as well as he had 2 pick six's last season and 5 INTs for his career.

I think we need to focus on winning 4 out of our 6 division games - I think I would be pretty happy about that. Getting better and winning the AFC South should be our main goal over the next couple of years. Until we do that I don't think we should expect a super bowl run.

You wanna know why the Cards are winning playoff games this year? Good defense, good coaching and consistent QB play by Kurt.

You know what's interesting??

If you remember back to the Colts Championship, the Giants Championship, and what we're seeing with the Arizona's run, is that defense was flawed during the regular season, but played at a totally different level in the play-offs. I'm talking lights out.

Lets take another perspective. Who have been the contenders in the last 10 years? Patriots, Colts, Giants, Steelers, etc. All these teams were built steadily by drafting well and making sound FA moves. When the Pats got away from that plan and started going after big name FAs it bit them in the butt(see Moss and A. Thomas signings).

These are the teams we should want to emulate. Those that are bult solidly and then compete for years. Perhaps Arizona will too, but they may be another Seattle, Oakland, or Atlanta...

If you really think about it, the Cardinals have been building this team for quite some time. They've been on the brink for years, but failing misserably, possibly because of coaching.

They've been drafting well, and they've been making solid FA choices. They've had a revolving door at coach, but this teams been building for years..... much like ours.

As a matter of fact, Their GM is a Houston Native. Been in charge of football operations since 2002.
graves_rod.jpg

Rod Graves

the cards have been failing for like 50 years .............

i hope we dont grow through that .................... :gun:

You know what's interesting??

If you remember back to the Colts Championship, the Giants Championship, and what we're seeing with the Arizona's run, is that defense was flawed during the regular season, but played at a totally different level in the play-offs. I'm talking lights out.

But there's also plenty of teams to point at that played lights out defense all year. It's all subjective and the hot teams will do the best, but that's why they say any given Sunday.

I think the Texans are set up for a Superbowl run as long as they can play passable defense that has the ability to shut a team down. Right now I think we could get 1 game from our defense where the offense wouldn't have to overachieve to win, in a playoff run. If we can get that side of the ball playing consistently, then I think we can tangle with anybody.

Honestly now, who here expects the Cardinals to repeat next year?

C
G
WR
Power HB
Return man

Rather go with defence as the NFL's 3 top ranked D's all made the Title games.
Steelers 1, Ravens 2, Eagles 3......

But there's also plenty of teams to point at that played lights out defense all year. It's all subjective and the hot teams will do the best, but that's why they say any given Sunday.

I think the Texans are set up for a Superbowl run as long as they can play passable defense that has the ability to shut a team down. Right now I think we could get 1 game from our defense where the offense wouldn't have to overachieve to win, in a playoff run. If we can get that side of the ball playing consistently, then I think we can tangle with anybody.

Honestly now, who here expects the Cardinals to repeat next year?

Thats what I thought about the Giants last year. They did pretty wel this season

Crap, thats a lot of money. If we get in in 2010, we have to go, though

If you have a choice, I think conference championship is the game to go to. As a Cowboy fan in '93, I went to the D v SF game in Big D and spent $140 per ticket off a scalper to get into the game. Even then, a Superbowl ticket was over $1000. By the way, the atmosphere in the conference championship game is much better than the Superbowl anyway.

Back