Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steve Slaton.....

I thought Slaton looked fine. The run blocking was not fine though, understandable. The Williams wall is crazy.

against the williams i didn't think he did too bad. didn't play great, but it IS preseason people.

When they were backed up near the bullpen, I watched the Williams guys and both ends during a timeout. They are huge, made Myers look like he was on roller skates during running plays.
Can't really fault Slaton for not having holes to run through, although he did miss one very huge hole and opted to run to the right side. Pitts and Brown created a massive area that would have been a guaranteed 30 yards.

Slaton was 5'9, 185 out of high school. I believe he was 5'9, 197-203 last year. Right now he is listed as 5'9, 215. So that is alot of weight.

When a guys bread and butter is his quickness and how he hits the holes, then weight isn't making him better if he loses that speed. That is what throws defenses off. If Darren Sproles bulked up 20 lbs and was slower, he wouldn't be as effective. Some guys speed and how they get through the line is what makes them the runner they are.

Here's the preseason statistics for the top 5 NFL rushers for the last three years. What you see is that five of fifteen averaged 3.5 ypc or less, four of fifteen averaged between 3.5 and 5 ypc, and three exceeded 5 ypc. 3 had no carries at all in preseason:

2008 Regular Season Rushing Leaders:
1. Adrian Peterson (20 carries - 51 yds - 2.6 ypc)
2. Michael Turner (18 carries - 169 yds - 9.4 ypc)
3. Deangelo Williams (26 carries - 188 yds 7.2 ypc)
4. Clinton Portis (15 carries - 50 yds - 3.3 ypc)
5. Steven Jackson (No preseason carries)

2007 Regular Season Rushing Leaders:
1. Adrian Peterson (30 carries - 146 yds - 4.9 ypc)
2. Ladainian Tomlinson - (No preseason carries)
3. Brandon Jacobs (29 carries - 102yds - 3.5 ypc)
4. Brian Westbrook (10 carries - 22 yds - 2.2 ypc)
5. Willie Parker (14 carries - 36 yds - 2.6 ypc)

2006 Regular Season Rushing Leaders:
1. Ladainian Tomlinson (No preseason carries)
2. Larry Johnson (20 carries - 75 yds - 3.8 ypc)
3. Frank Gore (26 carries - 140 yds - 5.4 ypc)
4. Tiki Barber (17 carries - 85 yds - 5.0 ypc)
5. Steven Jackson (19 carries - 73 yds - 3.8 ypc)

Slaton's preseason stats thru 3 games are 22 carries, 69 yds, 2.9 ypc. For those of you showing concern - I can understand. For those of you saying it's preseason, there's some justification for ignoring the preseason performance/statistics even on individual performance basis.

I still prefer to wait a few games into the season before getting into either ecstasy or panic mode.

Last edited:
Yeah, keep your head in the sand...

You know what I find absolutely Hilarious around here....

"OMG Barwin is for real, I'm sold....he's working his way into the starting lineup, he's the pass rusher we've needed"....yada yada yada

Then when a player/team is not playing as well....

"It's preseason..nothing to see here, walk along folks".

Those aren't always the same folks, though. In some instances they might be, but I tend to get the impression that there are folks that feel on the edge of doom no matter the time of year and those that can only see the positive. Maybe it is just me, though. I am a little off.

I don't think it has anything to do with the added weight. As others have said, his vision hasn't been very good this preseason. I haven't re-watched the game yet, but there were a few plays he either missed the running lane or a wide open cutback.

That said, I think he'll be ok. Hopefully he finds his groove sooner rather than later though.

I'm more worried about the ineffective run blocking we're getting from the O-line than anything I've seen from Slaton. Last year he had huge lanes to run through, and so far this preseason he's got tiny cracks in a solid wall.

Here's the preseason statistics for the top 5 NFL rushers for the last three years. What you see is that five of fifteen averaged 3.5 ypc or less, four of fifteen averaged between 3.5 and 5 ypc, and three exceeded 5 ypc. 3 had no carries at all in preseason:

2008 Regular Season Rushing Leaders:
1. Adrian Peterson (20 carries - 51 yds - 2.6 ypc)
2. Michael Turner (18 carries - 169 yds - 9.4 ypc)
3. Deangelo Williams (26 carries - 188 yds 7.2 ypc)
4. Clinton Portis (15 carries - 50 yds - 3.3 ypc)
5. Steven Jackson (No preseason carries)

2007 Regular Season Rushing Leaders:
1. Adrian Peterson (30 carries - 146 yds - 4.9 ypc)
2. Ladainian Tomlinson - (No preseason carries)
3. Brandon Jacobs (29 carries - 102yds - 3.5 ypc)
4. Brian Westbrook (10 carries - 22 yds - 2.2 ypc)
5. Willie Parker (14 carries - 36 yds - 2.6 ypc)

2006 Regular Season Rushing Leaders:
1. Ladainian Tomlinson (No preseason carries)
2. Larry Johnson (20 carries - 75 yds - 3.8 ypc)
3. Frank Gore (26 carries - 140 yds - 5.4 ypc)
4. Tiki Barber (17 carries - 85 yds - 5.0 ypc)
5. Steven Jackson (19 carries - 73 yds - 3.8 ypc)

Slaton's preseason stats thru 3 games are 22 carries, 69 yds, 2.9 ypc. For those of you showing concern - I can understand. For those of you saying it's preseason, there's some justification for ignoring the preseason performance/statistics even on individual performance basis.

I still prefer to wait a few games into the season before getting into either ecstasy or panic mode.

This post should end this thread. :)

I'm more worried about the ineffective run blocking we're getting from the O-line than anything I've seen from Slaton. Last year he had huge lanes to run through, and so far this preseason he's got tiny cracks in a solid wall.

Don't forget that last night was the first game this year that all 5 of the projected starters played together - and there was no practice together prior to last week.

My concern isn't the blocking in last night's game, but rather if Pitts and Myers are recovered and get enough of a chance to work with the other three guys to continue to build on last years progress from game one.

I'm not worried about Slaton; I think he'll be fine.

I wish I could agree with you, Runner.

But it's been what . . . 2 regular season games so far . . . and so far, he's not doing anything more than what he did in preseason games.

That's too bad. We won't sniff a winning season without a running game.

I wish I could agree with you, Runner.

But it's been what . . . 2 regular season games so far . . . and so far, he's not doing anything more than what he did in preseason games.

That's too bad. We won't sniff a winning season without a running game.

I posted that after one game. I'm slightly concerned now, but I think he picks it up the next few games.

Back