Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steve Slaton released

@JasonLaCanfora:
"Texans are releasing former feature back Steve Slaton and promoting RB Chris Ogbonnaya from practice squad to take his place"

Hallefreakinlujah!

Good luck Slaton. Hope you catch on somewhere they'll use you appropriately.

Garbage.

Didn't use him properly the last couple of years. Should have been used on many more screens.

This certainly means Foster or Ward (or both, hopefully) are healthy for this week.

I could see the Chiefs or Redskins picking him up. I have a feeling he will do good elsewhere...he won't be out of a job for long.

Slaton was used properly.

You can't send the guy on a screen everytime everytime...The guy has to be able to do atleast a decent job between the tackles on a consistent basis.

This past game they tried to get him out in space and they also gave him a chance to run the ball between the tackles. He didn't succeed in either scenario.

He's just not all that good if the O-line isn't opening huge holes in front of him.

The Texans FO obviously reads this forum. :winky:

No wonder our team is such a mess haha

PS: Please send complimentary season tickets to gtexan02, Boston, MA

PS2: Why does everyone hope that Slaton will catch on somewhere and be a star? I mean, he does seem like a nice enough guy, but isn't that a direct indication of our ineptness?

A running back in our system doesn't need to have exceptional athleticism, doesn't have to be terribly quick or nimble, and doesn't really need to have great top end speed.

What our RBs need, first and foremost is vision, followed closely by quick decision making and good one-cut ability.

Slaton has very little of the first group of attributes I mentioned above, and ZERO of the second group. ESPECIALLY vision. Slaton probably has the worst vision of any RB in team history, unless he is just weird, and loves running into piles.

If this is true, it was a good move. But I do wish Slaton nothing but the best of luck. That one year he was good, he was real damn good.

Sad day as i have always been a Slaton fan. Huge mountaineer fan so obviously i had a bias towards Slaton. He had no place here and was not productive. I wish Slaton the best of luck and hope he can restart his career somewhere else and get back to his rookie year production.

Holy crapola!!! I didn't expect that! I wish him well on his football journey, and pray he stays healthy whereever he goes!

Hope KJ is next... OH PLEASE !!!!

Slaton was our 4th string RB. KJ is a current starter.

I can understand demoting the guy, but cutting him? Thats insane.

Who would you replace him with? We've already seen what Allen can do and its not pretty

HAHAHA i know lot of people who bought Slaton jerseys

.... and i know alot of people who bought Foster jerseys ??????

Well, I hoped he'd turn it around but I guess it isn't to be, at least not here. Good luck wherever you go (try Arizona ASAP).

I liked his style his good year. The injury sucked. I want him to go somewhere and gain 1000 yards this year. His changing helmets doesn't make me wish him ill.

It was going to happen sooner or later, but I wish it had happened sooner. Obi looked to be more useful in the preseason than Slaton did, and there's a lot more potential for him to improve. Slaton on the other hand looks like damaged goods. If he didn't have the neck injury, our RB corps would be insanely good.

HAHAHA i know lot of people who bought Slaton jerseys

.... and i know alot of people who bought Foster jerseys ??????

I still wear my red Davis jersey for battle red days. Screw it, unless I get a red custom, I ain't changin' it. And I only paid like $10 for it new. :D

I forgot he had cervical fusion.

Best of luck to Steve ... as best as your interests don't conflict with [our] interests. :tiphat:

NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Ogbonnaya was the Texans' leading rusher in the preseason, w/ 192 yards on 54 carries (3.6 avg). Also had 7 rec for 77 yds
40 minutes ago
»

Slaton spent 2010 as the Texans' 3rd RB and had 7 carries for 20 yards this season before being let go
42 minutes ago

The injury coincided w/ fumbling problems, but Slaton never blamed it on that. He was placed on IR & had a cervical fusion
44 minutes ago

Slaton had a nerve injury in his neck in 2009 that got so bad he lost feeling in the tips of his fingers in his right hand
45 minutes ago

Slaton was a revelation in 2008 with 1,282 rushing yards as a 3rd round pick. Led the AFC with 1,659 yards from scrimmage
47 minutes ago

It's a shame. I was a big fan when he was at West Virginia. He was the only WV player I ever followed.

I was stoked when we drafted him. His successful rookie year seemed like fate.

Good luck, Steve. I hope you find your mojo again.

I had the chance to talk to Steve Slaton quite a bit last night at the charity event he was at. I don't think he knew this was coming he was very positive and upbeat.

I wish him the best of luck, everytime I've run into him he's always been a great person, he's just got to squeeze that ball tighter and go somewhere without the ZBS in charge.

Best of luck to the dude. He just didn't have that same explosiveness after the neck surgery. As long as he doesn't sign with a division opponent, and blow up, I wish him the best.

I liked his style his good year. The injury sucked. I want him to go somewhere and gain 1000 yards this year. His changing helmets doesn't make me wish him ill.
By style, do you mean the manner in which he acted ona and off the field, or his running style? I never liked his running style. He'd get the majority of his yards in a game on 1 or 2 huge plays. He had way to many no gains or stops for a loss in his rookie season. After that, he quit having the huge plays altogether, unless you count fumbles as huge plays.

By style, do you mean the manner in which he acted ona and off the field, or his running style? I never liked his running style. He'd get the majority of his yards in a game on 1 or 2 huge plays. He had way to many no gains or stops for a loss in his rookie season. After that, he quit having the huge plays altogether, unless you count fumbles as huge plays.

On field style. I liked watching him play.

Many people here seemed to like him back then. I still remember the debates here after their rookies years when Titans fans would claim CJ was better that Slaton. No way, right?

Back