Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steve McKinney signs new 4 year deal!!!!

Ive been saying hes a guard, not a center.. and hes a much better guard than center..since LAST offseason. Im just glad that so many people here seem to agree.

bckey said:
This bb cracks me up. You guys have dogged out McKinney (me included) for the last couple of seasons and now because Kubiak likes him and resigns him it's a great deal. Everybody is happy...
You're right. McKinney has underachieved over the past 4 seasons. If he had been released, I wouldn't have shed a tear.

But, I'm giving Kubiak the benefit of the doubt that he can get production out of McKinney. He was a solid guard in Indy, so maybe there is hope. At least the Texans reduced that ridculous cap number McKinney was carrying.

nunusguy said:
"Three-fifths of the Texans' offensive line is now set (below). The right guard and right tackle positions will be filled by some combination of Todd Wade, Zach Wiegert and Milford Brown.
• Center - Drew Hodgdon, whose rookie year ended early with an broken foot.

• Left guard - Steve McKinney, the former Texas A&M lineman who is moving from center.

• Left tackle - Chester Pitts, who has started each of the Texans' 64 games.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3708424.html
With the restructure for McKinney, maybe two-fifths of our OL is now set,
but three-fifths as McClain claims ? I don't think so. Even though Hodgdon looked good the short time he was in the lineup, he did have a season ending
injury and there has to be uncertainty surrounding his recovery and performance afterwards.

Anybody remember the article about Todd Wade during last training camp? I think it was in the Chronicle, but I can't find it. It contrasted his being "set" at right tackle with the only (supposed) competition for a tackle spot being between Wand and Riley. His year at right tackle didn't go so well - maybe there should have been competition.

At this point, I hope very few positions for the Texans are "set", and I doubt they are. Roster spots might be locked down, but certainly not the depth chart. We don't even know who all our players will be yet.

edo783 said:
There is NO doubt he has been a lousy center, but he has been an above average LG. As long as he plays LG, I have no issue with this. If he plays center, then I have a lot of issues with it. Don't really care for the guy as I think he is full of himself, but I think he can help the team at LG.

He is part of an O-line for the history books. Nobody on the O-line was above average...we can move them as much as we want to, but the fact remains...

BREAZE said:
He is part of an O-line for the history books. Nobody on the O-line was above average...

All indications are that he was above average playing his natural position with the Colts. It was not until FrankenPendry got a hold of him with his experimental blocking schemes that seem to fit a prototype for Offensive line twister (more so than an actual scheme) that put people in a position to fail.

I think I missed this, but does anyone know the details about this new contract? I can't that I'm happy about this move, but at least is less of a cap hit, so the Texans have a little more cash to throw at FAs.

Lucky said:
You're right. McKinney has underachieved over the past 4 seasons. If he had been released, I wouldn't have shed a tear.

But, I'm giving Kubiak the benefit of the doubt that he can get production out of McKinney. He was a solid guard in Indy, so maybe there is hope. At least the Texans reduced that ridculous cap number McKinney was carrying.

I will just tag along and say I agree. Would like to have seen us cut him personally, but if McKinney is going to elevate his game, these would be the best conditions under which he could do it.

I would really like to see McKinney's cap hit over each of the four years of this new deal. Yeah, we saved some money this year but how will it break down over the next three. Let's face it he will not suddenly become a Pro Bowler during that stretch.

The problem I'm having is people passing judgement based on very limited playing time. I will agree that McKinney looked somewhat better when he was at guard, but he didn't spend enough time there for it to be declared that he is a much better guard than center. I know that he played guard at Indy, but that was over 4 yrs ago and perhaps him losing a step is part of the reason he has played so poorly of late. I also don't understand how some people have given the starting center spot to Hodgdon after just 3 games! I would say that in that time he looked decent but that was hardly enough time to solidify a starting spot. I'm not saying he couldn't win the spot, but a lot of people are just giving it to him based on almost nothing. I think too many people are ready to accept mediocrity.

At some point we have to accept that we can't have All-Pro players @ every position. McKinney is a true professional and agree'ed to rework his contract and retire here in Houston as a Texan. I think he should get alot more credit for this than I'm reading here on this board. We actually need a bunch more players just like him that are willing to sacrifice for the team, cut salary, play out of position when needed & support younger player development. :homer:

well guys if you read the article on espn about it you'll see that they think he has been the most productive part of our offensive line over the past 4 years...not sure i agree with that but i do know one thing...it's rare to see a rookie guard start and be successful in this league...i also know that now we might have the right coaches to make the zone blocking scheme work with these guys...i do believe we will add 3-4 o-line guys either in FA or in the draft...center and tackle are positions i would draft and guard is the position i would seek help via FA...although with this chris kuper kid in round 5 i would be pretty darn tempted to go after him in the draft

No more shuffling players around like last year. We need to pick a line and stick with it. OL's need to have cohesiveness and chemistry and picking the line each week by throwing darts does not really build that.

We should have all new players on the O-line if they are serious about it. Just about any other team with a new coach and the worst O-line in the history of the NFL would be expected to clean house and start fresh.

tulexan said:
No more shuffling players around like last year. We need to pick a line and stick with it. OL's need to have cohesiveness and chemistry and picking the line each week by throwing darts does not really build that.

Well then lets extend all O-line contracts. If the point is that we need a veteran, then go get a better one in free agency. If we are reviewing film and basing a decision of SM from 4 yrs ago then extend Phillip Buchanon's contract while you're at it.

I have not doubted Kubiak yet, but this raises a brow...makes zero sense.

run-david-run said:
Good news. Hopefully this means he will move to Guard, where he can have some positvie impact on the Line. The question now would be, who is gonna be our starting center next season?

drew hogdon? i always here good stuff about him.

TexanFanInCC said:
drew hogdon? i always here good stuff about him.

I cannot fathom how a kid that played in only three games his rookie season, and was not truly dominant in those games (played well but didn't blow anyone away), is just given the starting spot by most here and it doesn't seem to make anyone else nervous.:twocents:

BREAKING NEWS: The Houston Texans announce stunning new changes. They will give David Carr a large bonus keeping him the teams largest cap hit and will extend the contract of Steve McKinney. In other news the fans are happy and excited about the new changes.

TexanAddict said:
I cannot fathom how a kid that played in only three games his rookie season, and was not truly dominant in those games (played well but didn't blow anyone away), is just given the starting spot by most here and it doesn't seem to make anyone else nervous.:twocents:
relax pards, nobody here has a spot to give away on the Texans line.

Realisticly, it doesn't make sense, that you would scrap the whole line, and start anew..... You'd definitely be rebuilding then.

I think our biggest issue, is QB, but I'm not willing to chuck him, and start afresh just yet. Overall we've got good talent on both sides of the ball, and I think we can win some football games. Jacksonville & Tennesee aren't power houses. We should have a good shot at sweeping them in 2006. ohter than last year, we've usually played the Colts well, and close we could easily split the series there. I think we have a tough schedule next year, so I don't see us going 10-6 or getting into the playoffs. But I do see us getting some respect, and finishing over .500.

The moves we are making now, seem reasonable, and sane to me. The Oline will never be finished, and to me, it looks like we are on the right road. Trying to do too much, too fast is a sure way to be like the Cardinals, the Lions, and the Tampa Bay Bucs(in the old uniforms).....

tulexan said:

See Exhibit A, Pittsburgh Steelers.

keyfro said:
well guys if you read the article on espn about it you'll see that they think he has been the most productive part of our offensive line over the past 4 years...

From the article:

Arguably the most consistent performer on what has inarguably been the NFL's most porous offensive line over the last four seasons

:challenge Most consistently what? Productive? Mediocre? Bad? Early to practice? On the radio?

Runner said:
From the article:

Arguably the most consistent performer on what has inarguably been the NFL's most porous offensive line over the last four seasons

:challenge Most consistently what? Productive? Mediocre? Bad? Early to practice? On the radio?

The truth is I have not watched McKinney's play enough, broken down tape, etc. to meaningfully comment on his performance. In this case, I defer to the opinions of other football "experts" that I talk to, and in this case, I will also default to Kubiak's staff's judgement.

All I have to say is, guess he is here to stay, so we can only hope that our coaches' faith is well placed.

And as far as the O-line last year, I still stand by coaching/injuries as a big problem in that equation. Clearly, a guy like Victor Riley had no business playing for this team, let alone starting at T, but I think our O-line as individual players are a hell of a lot better than they produced for us. Hope Sherman can right the ship.

jerek said:
And as far as the O-line last year, I still stand by coaching/injuries as a big problem in that equation. Clearly, a guy like Victor Riley had no business playing for this team, let alone starting at T, but I think our O-line as individual players are a hell of a lot better than they produced for us. Hope Sherman can right the ship.

I too think many of them are better than they have been given a chance to show. I also willingly defer to the staff's judgement of McKinney, although I don't think he is in any way a lock to start or play every down. My comments were more about reading too much into this signing.

I quoted that line from the article because I thought it was humorous in that it said nothing about his performance. It said he was consistent. If you are vague enough you are never wrong, I guess.

First Carr now McKinney. What's next? We bringing back Matt Stevens now that Coleman is gone. Wouldn't doubt it at this point.

Oh wait a minute, now I get it......he's an Aggie.:ok: I guess we'll be drafting Reggie McNeal too, make a trade for Dante Hall, and when Reeves finally gets on everyones nerves we'll bring in RC Slocum.

Big B Texan Fan said:
First Carr now McKinney. What's next? We bringing back Matt Stevens now that Coleman is gone. Wouldn't doubt it at this point.

Oh wait a minute, now I get it......he's an Aggie.:ok: I guess we'll be drafting Reggie McNeal too, make a trade for Dante Hall, and when Reeves finally gets on everyones nerves we'll bring in RC Slocum.

Maybe start a bonfire too when the Titans come to town...

Just because McKinney has a contract does not mean he is starting on the line. I admit Sherman may have a soft spot for the guy, but I think S&M will have to prove his meddle and be a consistent pass/rush blocker.

IMO, Steve's hiring is similar to what is done many times in the NFL: hire a vet to compete for a spot/provide leadership and training to younger players. He will probably help the team about by competing for a guard position while helping to develop whoever the Texans pick to compete at Center. He will probably be #2/#3 guard/center on depth. Ideally, I see the center position looking like this in depth: Bentley, then McK, then Drew.

from www.kffl.com

Texans | McKinney lands contract extension
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 06:01:19 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans saved $2.2 million in salary cap space by signing OG Steve McKinney to a four-year, $9 million contract extension. The deal included a $2 million bonus. The Texans tore up the last year of the five-year contract McKinney signed when he left Indianapolis for Houston in 2002.

He was scheduled to count $4.7 million against the cap this season.

texan279 said:
from www.kffl.com

Texans | McKinney lands contract extension
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 06:01:19 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans saved $2.2 million in salary cap space by signing OG Steve McKinney to a four-year, $9 million contract extension. The deal included a $2 million bonus. The Texans tore up the last year of the five-year contract McKinney signed when he left Indianapolis for Houston in 2002.

He was scheduled to count $4.7 million against the cap this season.

Not sure how it scales out per year, but we will most likley be able to part ways at a cheap price if he does not live to Kubiak's exepctations in the coming years.

Seth wants to see this team win. I think this was a good move on both his and the FO's part. I don't think anyone especially on the Oline has a secure job except for Andre Johnson and David Carr. That being said, we now have some kind of experience battling for the OG position. Can we upgrade, sure but you better make sure of what you have now just incase you put all your marbles on a FA *cough* Orlando Pace, Tony Bosseli*cough and they don't come through.

Kaiser Toro said:
Not sure how it scales out per year, but we will most likley be able to part ways at a cheap price if he does not live to Kubiak's exepctations in the coming years.

Well he was supposed to count $4.7 mil and they are saving $2.2 mil so he must be counting $2.5 mil on the cap. Let's hope that is $500k in salary and the full $2 mil in signing bonus (rather than $2 mil in salary and $500k in prorated signing bonus) and he won't have any potential dead money after this year.

Kaiser Toro said:

If that is the case then I have no problem wih it. I'm just not going to act real excited about it. Bring in Bentley at center and our line will be instantly better, Mckinney starting or not.

Is it common to sign back up OGs for $2mil??

Chances are his bonus is spread out over 2005, 2006, and 2007. So that's $600,000... 2.5mil-600,000=1.9 million.....

I have no idea, but that sounds like alot for a guy you aren't expecting to start.

thunderkyss said:
Chances are his bonus is spread out over 2005, 2006, and 2007.

Why would the bonus on a 4 year deal be prorated only to 3 years?

By the way, the Texans still have to account for $806k from McKinney's last contract so that is a big chunk of the $2.5 mil cap hit this year. Probably the deal is $500k in prorated new bonus, $800k in prorated old bonus, plus $1.2 mil in salary.

BREAZE said:
You have got to be kidding me…nobody on the O-line should be staying, especially this waste of debris...4yrs???

Aggie favoritism at its finest...

I am suprised only one poster mentioned this. Aggies helping Aggies (just which way). Gary making sure Steve keeps his job or Steve helping Gary by creating more money to spend on FA's?

Maybe Gary will trade a 3rd round pick with maybe a 5th also to Miami for Steve's lil bro Seth and play him at center. That should make some poster happy, bringing another Texas boy home.

Just doing a little:stirpot:

Hulk75 said:
Since Bentley is probably going to the Eagles, yea KM is the very next best choice.

Only knock I have on Mawae is that he is 35 years old and coming off of the torn tricep injury.

infantrycak said:
Let's hope that is $500k in salary and the full $2 mil in signing bonus .

His base can't be less than $670k. Apply the 30% rule on the difference between his total deal and his bonus and you could probably figure out the yearly bases or get pretty close.

infantrycak said:
Why would the bonus on a 4 year deal be prorated only to 3 years?

By the way, the Texans still have to account for $806k from McKinney's last contract so that is a big chunk of the $2.5 mil cap hit this year. Probably the deal is $500k in prorated new bonus, $800k in prorated old bonus, plus $1.2 mil in salary.

Because the CBA is in limbo right now.

A quick look would say his contract would have to be something like this:

1st year: $806,000 from previous contract, $500,000 prorated bonus, and $1,194,000 as a base salary.
2nd year: $500,000 prorated bonus, and $1,373,000 base salary.
3rd year: $500,000 prorated bonus, and $1,579,000 base salary.
4th year: $500,000 prorated bonus, and $1,975,000 base salary.

The numbers won't be exactly that, but it should be pretty similar. After next season the team would be able to cut him and save room. Even after this season it wouldn't hurt them too much, but even if he's on the bench he's better than some out there and the contract isn't bad at all. Since $800,000 is from the signing bonus remaining from the previous contract he pretty much signed a 4 year $8 million dollar contract. For a veteran guard that has played center that isn't bad at all. Are there better players out there? Yes. Is there a worse lineman on every team's roster? Yes. He's an average player, but when he's surrounded by below average talent it makes him look worse. When he's playing out of position it makes him look worse. Would I rather have Faneca or Hutchison? Of couse. Is that going to happen? No.

I don't know if it was said, and if it was i apologize. On the ESPN bottomline it reported that G McKinney got an extension. So.. we def moved Mckinney to guard?

It looks like at least part of the Texans line is set for next year. The piece on the Texans homepage quotes McKinney as stating that he is moving to left guard and that he looks forward to working on his timing working next to Pitts. Thus, it seems almost presumed that Pitts and McKinney will make up the left side of the line. Additionally, John McClains article made it seem as though Hogdgon was penciled in at center. I think McClain may be mistaken, but still looks like our line will remain largely entact. I do like McKinney much more at guard.

Pitts, Mckinney, Hodgdon

That has been the line ive been asking for all offseason. Now we need an RG and RT.. and a quality center to backup Hodgdon.

bdiddy said:
It looks like at least part of the Texans line is set for next year. The piece on the Texans homepage quotes McKinney as stating that he is moving to left guard and that he looks forward to working on his timing working next to Pitts. Thus, it seems almost presumed that Pitts and McKinney will make up the left side of the line. Additionally, John McClains article made it seem as though Hogdgon was penciled in at center. I think McClain may be mistaken, but still looks like our line will remain largely entact. I do like McKinney much more at guard.
If this is true, then we can scratch out D'Brick from our chart.:( All signs point to Reggie Bush.

As long as we win, I don't really care.

Grid said:
Pitts, Mckinney, Hodgdon

That has been the line ive been asking for all offseason. Now we need an RG and RT.. and a quality center to backup Hodgdon.
Im not to confident in Hodgdon yet. But as of right know he is the starter IMO. Also I was just wondering why nobody has been talking about L Bently lately.

big homey said:
If this is true, then we can scratch out D'Brick from our chart.:( All signs point to Reggie Bush.

As long as we win, I don't really care.
I think we could easily fill most of our holes using FA and the draft without trading down for example.
Round 1 Reggie Bush
Round 2 Nick Mangold
Round 3 A Fasano, Byrd - or C Eslinger
Round 3 J Joseph, Demario Minter
Round 4 Ray Edwards

In FA all we would need is a LB, FS, DE, WR which shouldnt be to hard considering we are around 14 million under the cap.

Bubbajwp said:
Im not to confident in Hodgdon yet. But as of right know he is the starter IMO. Also I was just wondering why nobody has been talking about L Bently lately.

Bentley from what I heard is almost for sure going to the Eagles, and we can't do much to lure guys away from there if they are paying money out. I'm still not real sure why we'd resign McKinney, I think Wiegert is better and he's under contract this year, so he could be set at our RG too. I'm also not sold on Hodgdon being our guy at C. I would definitely like to see us get at least one interior OLineman (Mangold would be a great pick at #33 if he lasts that far, Chris Chester would be a nice pick at #97 or especially at #129 if he lasts that far) and one OT in this offseason (Eric Winston or Winston Justice would be great at #33 if either one somehow falls, which I don't see happening). Daryn Colledge would be a decent pick, although I'm not sure I like spending the #33 on him, but if he somehow falls to #65 (I don't see that happening) or if we trade down and add another high 2nd rounder in there then I wouldn't mind getting Colledge. Jonathan Scott at #65 (not sure he falls that far but that one could happen) would be a nice addition as well. Johnathan Joseph also won't fall to the 2nd round, hopefully he'll fall to #33 so we could get him there. If Justice, Winston, Mangold, and Leonard Pope aren't at #33 (I don't see any of them falling that far), then Johnathan Joseph would probably be my next choice there, assuming he even falls that far.

Eh.. ill pencil in Hodg as the starter.. I just am not going to trust it. I want someone I can trust backing him up.. or starting ahead of him. I like what I saw of Hodgdon when he was playing, but im not ready to just throw him out there and say "the job is yours".. but im willing to give him the start to begin with.

btw.. RICHARD MARSHALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is who we need to get :). It has nothing to do with the line heh..but no one ever mentions him on their prospect lists.

MorKnolle said:
Bentley from what I heard is almost for sure going to the Eagles, and we can't do much to lure guys away from there if they are paying money out. I'm still not real sure why we'd resign McKinney, I think Wiegert is better and he's under contract this year, so he could be set at our RG too. I'm also not sold on Hodgdon being our guy at C. I would definitely like to see us get at least one interior OLineman (Mangold would be a great pick at #33 if he lasts that far, Chris Chester would be a nice pick at #97 or especially at #129 if he lasts that far) and one OT in this offseason (Eric Winston or Winston Justice would be great at #33 if either one somehow falls, which I don't see happening). Daryn Colledge would be a decent pick, although I'm not sure I like spending the #33 on him, but if he somehow falls to #65 (I don't see that happening) or if we trade down and add another high 2nd rounder in there then I wouldn't mind getting Colledge. Jonathan Scott at #65 (not sure he falls that far but that one could happen) would be a nice addition as well. Johnathan Joseph also won't fall to the 2nd round, hopefully he'll fall to #33 so we could get him there. If Justice, Winston, Mangold, and Leonard Pope aren't at #33 (I don't see any of them falling that far), then Johnathan Joseph would probably be my next choice there, assuming he even falls that far.
Makes me think we are not interested in Nick Mangold

Makes me think we are interested in Nick Mangold

If we dont sign a good quality center in FA... then id say that Mangold or Eslinger are sure things for us in the draft. I dont see our coaching staff putting the Center position completely in Hodgdon's hands..not yet anyway.

im tired and ive had 4 tests this week..sorry if im flip flopping and not realizing it hehe.. id look back and check but im too lazy.

Back