Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

statistics

Houston Jumped up from 5th rated offense to #2 rated offense

Guess that will happen when you have 549yrds total offense

Defense went from like 22 or 21 up to 20th rated defense. Still need some work there. They did an "admirable job", compared to some of the other things i've seen this year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

549 yards and only putting 24 points on the board is pretty sad if you ask me, but I understand what you're getting at.

I mean, if we'd at least cut the turnovers in half we'd have better than a winning record at this point despite our mediocre defense.

The biggest statistic to me is that we are currently tied for 7th in the NFL at 4.4 ypc! We finished the season at 22nd last year at 3.8 ypc. What an improvement.

Problem I have is that we're still only 14th in scoring offense even with the all the yards we've been accumulating. Shows that we need a big bruiser to run the rock inside the 20.

Problem I have is that we're still only 14th in scoring offense even with the all the yards we've been accumulating. Shows that we need a big bruiser to run the rock inside the 20.

I do agree we need another RB to compliment Slaton, but the primary reason for our Redzone woes is turnovers. I think we added 2 more yesterday.

What does that mean? Are we excusing our turnover ratio because we're young?? Gimme a break!

Dont put words in my mouth. What I implied was that youthfullness brings young mistakes that tend to improve with maturity.

Dont put words in my mouth. What I implied was that youthfullness brings young mistakes that tend to improve with maturity.

Here are the top 7 youngest teams. 4 of the 7 have playoff hopes. I added their TO ratio.

1. Green Bay Packers-25 years, 300 days - +7
2. Buffalo Bills-26 years, 66 days - -7
3. Atlanta Falcons-26 years, 96 days - -2
4. New York Jets-26 years, 115 days - 0
5. Indianapolis Colts-26 years, 125 days - +8
6. Miami Dolphins-26 years, 147 days - +12
7. San Diego Chargers-26 years, 190 days - +1

So, your theory doesn't hold water IMO.

P.S. Asking 2 questions is not putting words into your mouth. :)

Here are the top 7 youngest teams. 4 of the 7 have playoff hopes. I added their TO ratio.

So are you saying that YOUTH and INEXPERIENCE have zero to do with 1) making mistakes... 2) giving room for improvement? Probably not.

So what you actually did was ASSume that my post was soley in relation to turnovers. When in fact I was simply implying that there is plenty of room for improvement on this team OVERALL statistically due to youth and inexperience... including the turnover department.

With the MAIN CORE of this team consisting of Schaub (obviously needs more experience still makes some dumb decisions), Mario Williams, Duane Brown (first year improving LT who still gets burnt sometimes directly forcing turnovers) Amobi Okoye (who is younger?), Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones (DID YOU SEE THE GAME YESTERDAY????), AJ (oldest of course), Demeco Ryans, Eric Winston, Fred Bennett (can his improved play with experience force more turnovers?), Antwan Molden, TJ, etc,etc,etc,etc.... I think you get the point.... and it really wasnt supposed to be this difficult.

Until yesterday, our turnover problems were almost 100% the fault of our QBs. Before yesterday, Schaub and Sage were responsible for every offensive turnover the team committed except one (a fumble by AJ).

Our QBs are not very experienced, but Kubiak's offense asks a great deal of them; they are expected to attack the deep-intermediate zones. Our offense is not a dink-and-dunk affair that features only safe passes. Plus, they are asked to run these longer-developing plays behind an occasionally-shaky line. Turnovers are going to happen, particular to inexperienced QBs like ours.

But your list is a bit of a cheat: though not to the Texans' degree, most turnovers come from the QB position. Experience at that position is important for ball security, and three teams on your list (Indy, Miami and the Jets) feature about 35 years of NFL experience behind center, their other-wise youthful rosters notwithstanding. Those are also three of the four playoff-hopeful teams.

The question going forward is whether we think we have a QB whose long-term upside is worth the current growing pains. Peyton Manning threw 28 picks his rookie season, but my guess is the Colts are glad they put up with him.

I think it shows that we need to quit turning the ball over in the red zone when we get to the end of drives. I've lost track of how many times the Texans have driven down the field and then pitched an interception or fumbled the rock. If we had just 3 points at the end of each drive where we've turned over the ball we would have scored 75 more points this year (that's at 25 giveaways and I'm not sure if that number covers yesterday as well or not). That takes us from having scored 306 points this year to 381 points and raises our average per game about 6 points from 23.5 to 29.3.

We've got three losses that came by 6 or fewer points.

Turnovers have just destroyed us this year. If we could reign that mess in (and start playing defense from week one like everybody else does) I think we'd be right on schedule for the post season.

Back