Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

Dude was in the gap. So how would any tackle be able to recover when the defender already had him beat way before the play happened.

That’s a standard zone block. Notice the edge player on Davenport was left completely alone. The play is supposed to be executed too fast for that backside edge player to make a difference.*

It happens all the time.

There are literal steps that you take to reach defenders. Some call it a bucket step, drop step, reach stop or whatever. The advantage you have as on OL is you know the snap count and where the play is going. If you can, go back and watch some old Denver or Houston film when Kubiak was coaching. This is a routine backside block in zone runs.

*Many know this but what that Unblocked backside edge does also influences later play calls. If he’s crashing hard trying to get to the RB then they will call a bootleg later in the game and deshaun will keep it and roll back out toward his side like we saw schaub do a million times. If the unblocked Edge player keeps contain there and doesn’t crash in then the cutback for the RB will be wide open.

Which leads to another point: even if Davenport can’t cut that player off what he’s supposed to do is “wash him past the hole” or ride him past the RB which is what also opens up the cutbacks.....another huge staple of the ZBS...something Arian took advantage of a million times.

This is part of my big gripe with OB and Devlin. I really don’t think these guys are THIS bad. They just don’t look like they are put in the best position to do well and they don’t appear to be a well coached unit. When the Texans were good under the last regime, their oline consisted of one 1st rounder in DB and a bunch of guys they got from the bargain bin. This team has invested way more in the OL and has gotten worse results.

Seriously go back and watch some Kubiak ZBS if you want/can. These are routine plays that they are out there getting players hurt on.

Last edited:
I watched the 1st half again. Scharping looked like a rookie. I think he played the poorest out of all the OLineman (except 72 who isn't making the team). He didn't look any better at tackle than he did at guard. I could post gifs of 7-8 plays where his blocks led to pressure. Martin is routinely getting pushed back and got called for holding several times as he was overmatched. I've seen guys talking about playing him at guard, but I don't see it. Not sure if injury is still playing a role or he's just undersized, but he gets pushed around too much and I'd have him at backup center at best. Kelemete played well at guard and center. He had one missed block at center, but overall looked solid. Rankin was my biggest surprise. I didn't see him miss a single block at guard and he was manhandling guys out there. I think we're set at right tackle w/ Henderson. He moves better than I thought and I didn't see him miss a single block. He even connected on a couple of trap plays where he pulled and got to the LB to open holes. I'm still not sold on Roderick Johnson at LT. I like him in the running game -- he's got good feet and the effort is obvious. I didn't see any pressures allowed in passpro so I think he's earned more looks. There's nothing negative to point out, it's just that we don't know how he'll stand up to better competition. He's definitely more athletic than Davenport though and is a hustler.

I think that there's a number of ways to still have a serviceable OLine this year, but based on what I've seen so far this year, I would go w/ RJohson, Kelemete or Howard, Fulton, Rankin, Henderson. Scharping works in at either guard position as injuries occur. I would like to see Howard at LT and have a battle w/ RJohnson for the position and have the loser play swing tackle. It might be too late for that though.

You're starting from the wrong place. You've got Martin at Center because BO'b says so. & that's one of the biggest problems.

We've got three years of evidence that says Martin is not a starting Center in this league. Fulton should have been at Center. Fulton should have practiced all week at Center. Not Kelemente.

Then you can start Kelemente at LG, the position he played all last season next to Davenport, or you start Martin at LG to see if you can salvage his career.

Then if the guy he's supposed to jab at the line goes on to take your starting RB out for the season you can say, well... it was his first time playing Guard.

This is definitely not a, "This is what y'all wanted!!" moment. None of that was what any of us had been asking for.

Lol I think you guys forget that both Fulton and Kelemete weren't starters either & there's also years of evidence that says those guys weren't anything more than spot starters either.

bottom line is there's 6 guys competing for 3 spots.

I watched the 1st half again. Scharping looked like a rookie. I think he played the poorest out of all the OLineman (except 72 who isn't making the team). He didn't look any better at tackle than he did at guard. I could post gifs of 7-8 plays where his blocks led to pressure. Martin is routinely getting pushed back and got called for holding several times as he was overmatched. I've seen guys talking about playing him at guard, but I don't see it. Not sure if injury is still playing a role or he's just undersized, but he gets pushed around too much and I'd have him at backup center at best. Kelemete played well at guard and center. He had one missed block at center, but overall looked solid. Rankin was my biggest surprise. I didn't see him miss a single block at guard and he was manhandling guys out there. I think we're set at right tackle w/ Henderson. He moves better than I thought and I didn't see him miss a single block. He even connected on a couple of trap plays where he pulled and got to the LB to open holes. I'm still not sold on Roderick Johnson at LT. I like him in the running game -- he's got good feet and the effort is obvious. I didn't see any pressures allowed in passpro so I think he's earned more looks. There's nothing negative to point out, it's just that we don't know how he'll stand up to better competition. He's definitely more athletic than Davenport though and is a hustler.

I think that there's a number of ways to still have a serviceable OLine this year, but based on what I've seen so far this year, I would go w/ RJohson, Kelemete or Howard, Fulton, Rankin, Henderson. Scharping works in at either guard position as injuries occur. I would like to see Howard at LT and have a battle w/ RJohnson for the position and have the loser play swing tackle. It might be too late for that though.
Good stuff Max thanks and BTW like your handle (my own MN).

Reactions: Max
Another problem right there. And Watson didn't recognize it either, something we all said he needs to get better at.

Tweet from @riversmccown: I don't even know who to spotlight on this play. Just ... what? https://t.co/AdGmccWIBj

In the tweet, look at Jaylon Smith creeping up to the line. On Watson's left. Why is the fake to Watson's right? The back is in clear protection mode.

Would not have "fixed" this play, but it would at least show we had an answer for the extra man coming on the left.

I am not saying I'm right. Just saying I don't understand why the back is setting up to block on the right when the extra rusher (could have been faking) is coming from the left.

One positive, Sharping keeps his man at the LOS.

*Many know this but what that Unblocked backside edge does also influences later play calls. If he’s crashing hard trying to get to the RB then they will call a bootleg later in the game and deshaun will keep it and roll back out toward his side like we saw schaub do a million times. If the unblocked Edge player keeps contain there and doesn’t crash in then the cutback for the RB will be wide open.

Which leads to another point: even if Davenport can’t cut that player off what he’s supposed to do is “wash him past the hole” or ride him past the RB which is what also opens up the cutbacks.....another huge staple of the ZBS...something Arian took advantage of a million times.
Teams will also run outside zone and get the DLine flowing hard to the sidelines, then come back w/ inside zone and look for the cutback lanes opened from overpursuit. If you're chasing guys from behind like Davenport did on that play, neither is going to work.

Lol I think you guys forget that both Fulton and Kelemete weren't starters either & there's also years of evidence that says those guys weren't anything more than spot starters either.

You're going too far back. Last year I liked Fulton. Thought he was a starter. I didn't see anything last year from Kelemente & Martin.

Locking Martin in at Center before TC never made sense to me. Since they said they're going to play Howard & Scharping at Guard & seeing them with Fulton at Center, it doesn't make sense to insert Martin at Center because he's healthy.

Howard, Fulton, Sharping is the best lineup we've had in years.

That’s a standard zone block. Notice the edge player on Davenport was left completely alone. The play is supposed to be executed too fast for that backside edge player to make a difference.*

It happens all the time.

There are literal steps that you take to reach defenders. Some call it a bucket step, drop step, reach stop or whatever. The advantage you have as on OL is you know the snap count and where the play is going. If you can, go back and watch some old Denver or Houston film when Kubiak was coaching. This is a routine backside block in zone runs.

This is part of my big gripe with OB and Devlin. I really don’t think these guys are THIS bad. They just don’t look like they are put in the best position to do well and they don’t appear to be a well coached unit. When the Texans were good under the last regime, their oline consisted of one 1st rounder in DB and a bunch of guys they got from the bargain bin. This team has invested way more in the OL and has gotten worse results.

Seriously go back and watch some Kubiak ZBS if you want/can. These are routine plays that they are out there getting players hurt on.

I really enjoyed the ZBS Kubiak employed. It made average RBS look decent. Steve Slaton anyone. That was Kubiak's bread and butter no matter where he coached. Having a true identity goes a long way in this league. Obrien seems clueless to this notion. These players are not being coached up properly underneath this regime.

Now on that play it was a total disaster across the board. Martin got beat so badly to the point it destroyed the entire play. There was no room for a cutback.

I zoomed in and it does appear that the defender is inside shoulder so I agree that Fulton needed to slow him down. I'm willing to back off on Davenport on that play even though he's slow off the ball. I made the point last week about Fulton standing his ground better than Martin at center and this clip is another example of that. I don't agree that your center should lose 2 yards on a 1 on 1 block.

Yeah looking at the play even if Davenport would have jumped the snap he had no chance - the guy is inside of him and the play goes that way from the beginning. Fulton raced off the line like he had the ball. Probably a good example of what happens when your coach is just willing to play a fat guy anywhere on the line during games despite where they spend time practicing.

Play 2 - 1 - DT lined up inside of Davenport.png
Play 2 - 2 - Fulton hauling ass like he has the ball.png
Play 2 - 3 - Davenport had no chance.png

Yeah looking at the play even if Davenport would have jumped the snap he had no chance - the guy is inside of him and the play goes that way from the beginning. Fulton raced off the line like he had the ball. Probably a good example of what happens when your coach is just willing to play a fat guy anywhere on the line during games despite where they spend time practicing.

That play isn't on Fulton even though his guy is the 1 who actually made the hit on Miller. Perhaps Fulton didn't slow his guy down enough before going to the next level but he raced off the line & got up to the 2nd level b/c he knew what he was doing & where he was going & that was what he was supposed to do. As Xtru pointed out though, Davenport was slow as hell off the ball & didn't even get a hand on Fulton's guy to be able to wash him down. This is a guy who had everything to prove. He is not an NFL caliber LT.

That play isn't on Fulton even though his guy is the 1 who actually made the hit on Miller. Perhaps Fulton didn't slow his guy down enough before going to the next level but he raced off the line & got up to the 2nd level b/c he knew what he was doing & where he was going & that was what he was supposed to do. As Xtru pointed out though, Davenport was slow as hell off the ball & didn't even get a hand on Fulton's guy to be able to wash him down. This is a guy who had everything to prove. He is not an NFL caliber LT.

Agree and disagree? - I agree with what Xtru said (and the guy knows more about Oline than I ever will so really value his input) my point is that if you practice/play as a unit then Fulton will 'know' Davenport is usually a little slow off the snap so he has to stay a half-second longer so Davenport can engage.

I'm NOT saying it was Fulton or Davenport. What I am saying is that Oline needs cohesion they need to know and understand the weaknesses and strengths of the player on either side of them and adjust their play to work well as a unit. I don't think you should be moving guys here, there, wherever and expect decent results.

My opinion obviously - but I think that's what I see from good/great Olines, they aren't pro bowlers everywhere but they do work very well as a unit.

So maybe Fulton stays a split second longer, and the LB tackles Miller for a 3 yard gain. I'll take that over the LB not making the tackle and the DL hitting Miller for a 3 yard loss, a fumble, and a potential ACL (understand that entire scenario if very revisionist - but hopefully the point comes across).

This is a guy who had everything to prove. He is not an NFL caliber LT.

Let's say I agree with you. What do you suggest going forward? Cut him, start Kalil, Roderick Johnson as our swing?

I'm saying we keep him, cut Kalil. Start Davenport, or Johnson. I'd prefer Davenport because he's not another rookie on the line.

Roderick Johnson may very well be our best available tackle, but he's only marginally better than Davenport & Kalil isn't so much better that we should spend $7.5M for a place holder.

I would say that they shouldn't block zone if they can't block that defender because he'll blow up the play every time if he's untouched. A combination of Davenport getting off the ball and a little more help from Fulton enables Davenport to get his hands on the defender and keep him from being a missile into the backfield. Agreed on your practice take. If BOB is going to be here for a while, we can't afford to go into next year trying to figure out so many positions on the OLine. Hopefully we don't see this again for a long time.

Let's say I agree with you. What do you suggest going forward? Cut him, start Kalil, Roderick Johnson as our swing?

I'm saying we keep him, cut Kalil. Start Davenport, or Johnson. I'd prefer Davenport because he's not another rookie on the line.

Roderick Johnson may very well be our best available tackle, but he's only marginally better than Davenport & Kalil isn't so much better that we should spend $7.5M for a place holder.

Under only the most dire circumstances does Davenport or Kalil make this roster for me.

Either:

Start Johnson, Cut Kalil & Davenport, Howard becomes your back up LT. Just by virtue of that means you have to keep Kelemete to play back up LG in the event Howard has to kick out to LT. The swing tackle you pick up after league team cuts.

or Cut Kalil & Davenport, trade for Williams, Johnson becomes your swing tackle.

Or start Howard at LT, Johnson is your swing tackle, keep kelemete at LG

Tweet from @aaronjreiss: Martinas Rankin is playing RT. He played tackle last year, but I've only seen him practice at guard during the preseason.
coming out of college many if not most thought Rankin would be a guard. I wish they would put him at Right Guard and leave him there either starter or first backup.

Agree and disagree? - I agree with what Xtru said (and the guy knows more about Oline than I ever will so really value his input) my point is that if you practice/play as a unit then Fulton will 'know' Davenport is usually a little slow off the snap so he has to stay a half-second longer so Davenport can engage.

I'm NOT saying it was Fulton or Davenport. What I am saying is that Oline needs cohesion they need to know and understand the weaknesses and strengths of the player on either side of them and adjust their play to work well as a unit. I don't think you should be moving guys here, there, wherever and expect decent results.

My opinion obviously - but I think that's what I see from good/great Olines, they aren't pro bowlers everywhere but they do work very well as a unit.

So maybe Fulton stays a split second longer, and the LB tackles Miller for a 3 yard gain. I'll take that over the LB not making the tackle and the DL hitting Miller for a 3 yard loss, a fumble, and a potential ACL (understand that entire scenario if very revisionist - but hopefully the point comes across).

I mean i see what you're saying, But i don't necessarily think this was a case of cohesion nor do i believe that it should be part of Fulton's job to compensate for this guys inabilities. Remember, Fulton is the guy playing at a position he hasn't played at since his days in KC. Davenport is the guy that is supposed to be most comfortable. If anything Davenport is supposed to be covering for Fulton's inexperience at LG. Instead we get Davenport doing Davenport things. It's possible Davenport couldn't hear the snap but just looking at that play, that doesn't appear to be the case, he just looks like he just didn't get off the ball fast enough.

It should be noted too that Martin getting blown back 2+ yards off the ball opened up that quick, shorter angle for Fulton's man to come crash down the line to make the hit like he did. If Martin just holds his ground, or only give up 1 yard, Fulton's guy has to go around & probably just misses Miller or tackles him 3+ yards down the field.

Last edited:

Here's a similar example going the other way of the play we ran. You can see exactly what I mean about 5 seconds in.

Look at the RT and RG. The down lineman is inside of the RT like Davenport last night. The RG gives very little help. It's all about angles and footwork and having the athletic ability to get to your spot. The tackle has to take a step back and wide (bucket step) to get the angle to cut that defender off.

That is how you ZB a play away from you.

Again, this is standard stuff that good teams execute regularly. This team struggles with simple stuff.

Edit: I skimmed through and watched a few plays and every one I watched the down lineman was inside the tackle that was tasked with blocking him.

Again. Standard stuff.

Another edit: also look at the front side guard and tackle. The guard couldn't reach the lineman so they just rode him the direction he was already going which is what opens up the cutback lanes. That's what I mean when I say if you cant reach him ride him past. The rb or the intended hole.

The lt stayed engaged instead of releasing to the second level. So in essence they now switch responsibilities. ZBS takes big time cohesion because you both have to know what the other is going to do based on the defense. Pre snap and on the fly post snap. Hard to get that kind of chemistry when you're moving guys all around.

Sorry to rant about this stuff but I really want people to realize how bad this Oline has been handled.

Last edited:
coming out of college many if not most thought Rankin would be a guard. I wish they would put him at Right Guard and leave him there either starter or first backup.
I think we need to move on from Mancz. Rankin might be capable of filling that role if he can't win a starting spot this year.

This is the play Miller gets hurt on. Watch how slow Davenport gets off the ball. It's the difference between trailing the defender basically untouched and getting into him and redirecting his path/slowing him down. Martin getting blown back 2 yards isn't helping anything either as it vacates the space Davenport's man is able to shoot into when the defender should be running into a pile there if Martin can hold his man. Put Davenport and Martin on the bench please.

View attachment 4592
Looks like Fulton 73 missed everyone. Seems like LG should have blocked #96. Did not look like 96 should have been Davenports. I agree D look like he got off the ball a second late. However that may have been due to the earlier flag IIRC holding on him.

Under only the most dire circumstances

Ok... so the difference between my opinion & yours is that I understand how dire the situation is & you believe there is still hope.

I can respect that.

But week 1 halftime is fast approaching & I don't think BO'b even sees the issue much less will have us in a position to make a good decision by then.

Martin sucked on that play. That’s pretty much the end of that for me.

With Davenport and Fulton there’s a few things I see. First, it does look like Fulton gave a jab but he certainly did not wait until Davenport took over the block before heading to the 2nd level.

I think that is on both of them. Davenport is way too slow out of his stance. He knows the fugging snap count and he’s letting defensive players get a jump on him. Part of the reason I didn’t like the Davenport pick is because I don’t think he dominated the level of competition he went against like he should have. I don’t like his feet and I think he moves like an ogre out there.

Fulton has been playing next to other guys lately so it’s going to take an adjustment to needing to slow down a bit to let Davenport’s slow ass get in better position. Bouncing guys around so they can’t really get in a groove at one spot doesn’t help.

Have to take care of first level first, but don’t expect too many big runs since the longer Fulton spends with the down lineman the less of a chance he has at getting an angle to block that LB.

Either way, because Davenport can’t get over quick enough to over take a guy one count inside of him you’re probably going to have someone getting a free shot at the ball carrier. That’s a pretty standard zone block right there. They didn’t ask Davenport or Fulton to do anything heroic. Neither one really did a good job. Fulton went too fast...that’s correctable. Davenport being a slug...I’m not sure that is at this point.
Offensive lineman has to wait until snap of the ball to start. Defense on the other hand does not. That caused some time GAP there.

Go to about the 4:30 mark of the video and you can see the TE and tackle on the backside perform the type of block in question without cut blocking. The play right after that you can see the TE reach the down lineman the same way.

Due to Kelemete inability to remain on the field, I would like to see Davenport some at left guard if Johnson is going to be starting next week for two seasons I have insisted Davenport is not a right tackle. But he moves well enough Imo play left guard. I'd like to see that ruled out.

Look at the RT and RG. The down lineman is inside of the RT like Davenport last night. The RG gives very little help. It's all about angles and footwork and having the athletic ability to get to your spot. The tackle has to take a step back and wide (bucket step) to get the angle to cut that defender off.

I admit that I don't know of any technique that Davenport could have employed to gain leverage on the defensive player. You say there is such a thing, I defer to you. But that's a big difference between what the guard in your video did & what Fulton did. If the goal was for Davenport to cut the defender sure, he probably didn't need for Fulton to do anything. But since Davenport can't cut the guy, Fulton has to punch the defender. Has to.

Due to Kelemete inability to remain on the field, I would like to see Davenport some at left guard if Johnson is going to be starting next week for two seasons I have insisted Davenport is not a right tackle. But he moves well enough Imo play left guard. I'd like to see that ruled out.
I'm not sure that there's room for any more guard experiments.

Moves well enough?

What in the hell are you watching?

Moves well enough?

What in the hell are you watching?

Offensive lineman has to wait until snap of the ball to start. Defense on the other hand does not. That caused some time GAP there.

The defense does have to wait until the snap or it's offsides or they'll get penalized for a neutral zone infraction.

But forget all that, look at him in comparison to his fellow OL mates. He's the last one out of his stance.

I admit that I don't know of any technique that Davenport could have employed to gain leverage on the defensive player. You say there is such a thing, I defer to you. But that's a big difference between what the guard in your video did & what Fulton did. If the goal was for Davenport to cut the defender sure, he probably didn't need for Fulton to do anything. But since Davenport can't cut the guy, Fulton has to punch the defender. Has to.

Look at the 4:30 mark in the video and the TE pulls off this type of block without cutting.

To me it does look like Fulton stuck his arm out there to slow the defender down but whatever on that really. Bottom line is he didn't stay engaged until he felt Davenport in position to make the block.

But remember I said I blamed both of them, but I think what Fulton did is pretty easily correctable IF he is not being coached to go that fast. If he's supposed to go to the 2nd level as fast as he did then they are just simply relying on Davenport to get there which he wasn't able to do.

And I'm not sure Davenport is capable of making that block consistently.

And guys are told to block things differently from week to week depending on the defense. For instance...If they know that this defense is fast flowing and reacts quickly on the backside to plays away from them, they the coach may tell Fulton to give a quick jab and go and it's up to Davenport to make that block.

Against teams that play more downhill they may say take your time and be more deliberate because that LB won't be flowing as fast.

Really, whomever the blame is placed on for that one play from a player perspective is a microcosm of my overall opinion of the coaching over there. I just don't think they have the talent to be as poorly coached as they are. Nick Martin getting blown up, Down linemen getting free runs at your RB...That's just bad football man.

This clip just looks hilarious.

Tweet from @riversmccown: Pocket on Joe Webb's interception in second quarter. I get that these guys don't have many snaps together (Kelemete at center?), and that this is a zone blitz -- but what? https://t.co/gVzArYlQj7
It's a straight 4 man rush -- not sure what he's talking about w/ zone blitz. This was the one play I saw that Kelemete allowed pressure. But if you look, he's handing off the defender to Scharping and looking to help to the right so it's a mental error if this wasn't his assignment. Scharping wasn't able to handle the guy on his own - he really struggled yesterday.

It's a straight 4 man rush -- not sure what he's talking about w/ zone blitz. This was the one play I saw that Kelemete allowed pressure. But if you look, he's handing off the defender to Scharping and looking to help to the right so it's a mental error if this wasn't his assignment. Scharping wasn't able to handle the guy on his own - he really struggled yesterday.

Yep, really bad here.

Tweet from @riversmccown: Kerry Hyder is a lot better than you'll find as a backup on most squads, so it's a real test for Scharping. But Scharping got eaten up and the Cowboys had cleanup coming too. https://t.co/eAC57NJhlZ

Tweet from @KPRC2AdamW: #Texans have signed OT Christian DiLauro. Was undrafted out of Illinois in 2018, spent 2018 on SF practice squad.
I guess we know that Howard isn't getting moved to tackle this year. Davenport must be gone. I wonder if Kalil is as well?

Yep, really bad here.

Tweet from @riversmccown: Kerry Hyder is a lot better than you'll find as a backup on most squads, so it's a real test for Scharping. But Scharping got eaten up and the Cowboys had cleanup coming too. https://t.co/eAC57NJhlZ
I thought that a lot of Rankins stuggles last year were mental. Scharping got beat time after time on just straight up man to man blocking yesterday. Maybe there's a mental element to it as well, but either way, he needs some time to develop before we let him blow up our interior line IMO. Rankin should have moved in front of Scharping after yesterday's game. We'll see what happens though.

The defense does have to wait until the snap or it's offsides or they'll get penalized for a neutral zone infraction.

But forget all that, look at him in comparison to his fellow OL mates. He's the last one out of his stance.
Not if the Dguy is moving on his side of ball and does not cross into the neutral zone. We see Dlinemen moving all the time.

As Rankin played LG last season with starts when Kele went out plus some plays at RG, I don't see it as experimental; play him or cut him.
I'm beating a dead horse, but we shouldn't be in the position to cut a player like Rankin at this point. Or Kelemete. But we've got so many guys at guard that it seems like something has to give. We can't cut Scharping. The decision to move Howard to guard is driving me nuts.

I'm beating a dead horse, but we shouldn't be in the position to cut a player like Rankin at this point. Or Kelemete. But we've got so many guys at guard that it seems like something has to give. We can't cut Scharping. The decision to move Howard to guard is driving me nuts.
Definitely understand but I have had Kele being cut since last year as he just can't stay on field. He's good but...If Scharping is future RT as I think nd either Mancz or Rankin not on roster, we should be clearer on OG.

Definitely understand but I have had Kele being cut since last year as he just can't stay on field. He's good but...If Scharping is future RT as I think nd either Mancz or Rankin not on roster, we should be clearer on OG.
I have no idea what they're thinking, but I'm hoping that giving looks to Kelemete at center means that they're considering letting Martin go and having Kelemete backup Fulton at center. I have a feeling that that's wishful thinking though.

Back