Sponsor Logos on NFL Unis???

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by RTP2110, Mar 26, 2009.

1. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

2. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

3. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Quick try at a ''soccer style'' NFL jersey

[​IMG]

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

NFL owners all need to be lined up against a wall and shot.

They're basically destroying every single thing I love about the NFL one season at a time. It's like a death of thousand cuts as they turn this institution into something I have trouble recognizing some days.

Double Barrel likes this.
  5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Someone offered this up at corporate to find more revenue during a down time I am sure. Firstly, they will have to find the amount of dollars they will be losing with jersey sales, because no one will wear a sponsor like they do for Soccer. Secondly, advertising right now is a buyer's market with inventory everywhere.

It will be interesting to see what side Jerry Jones takes. I bet he will be against the sponsorship since he does not participate in the revenue sharing like all of the other teams do in jersey sales.

6. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Interesting that you mention the sponsors like they do for soccer and that mexican_texan posted that picture right after you said that. I almost bought that same jersey in the Sports Fan Attic in Willowbrook Mall. I'm not a big soccer fan but I love me some Manchester United.

Except I'm not wearing anything with a big "AIG" on the front of it. Not under normal circumstances and certainly not right now. If the NFL puts sponsors on their jerseys in any more noticable form than they do with the Nike swooshes and such today then I've bought my last jersey.

There is a line and if they cross it they'll cease to get my money at all. They aren't hurting. They're looking for new sources of revenue during these "difficult times". Those words have an entirely different meaning to the NFL owners than they do to us. Their idea of difficult times is that their profits don't go up by the usual 16% and they only make 11% more than they did the year before.

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Small world, I was at that store not too long ago looking to buy a Spain jersey.

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

Lets hope they do not do what NFL Europe does and project ads on the back side of the field during televised games.

10. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

They will still be able to squeeze that full 16% profit annual increase, if they just get more creative and aggressive.:gun:

[​IMG]

11. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Up next....the military.

[​IMG]

TimeKiller and Double Barrel like this.
  12. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

the 'pocolypse is upon us.

13. Blake

Blake MMQB

Today the practice jerseys.

Tomorrow, game jerseys.

14. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

I'm sure MLB will be looking into it soon as well. I hope not. I couldn't stand looking at that McDonald's logo on the side of Japan's batting helmet during the WBC.

15. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

So we all ok with the Reebok logo and the NFL Equipment logo on jerseys, right? And the helmet manufacturer's logo? And the Nike and Reebok logos on shoes? And the Under Armour logo, which is just about everywhere? And the Wilson logo on the ball? And the logos on the nets?

The point is the NFL is already saturated with logos on uniforms (and everywhere else for that matter), this is just a progression of that.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

ADVERTISING REACHES A NEW LOW (LITERALLY)

While not quite reaching the ridiculous saturation levels of advertising of sports like Formula One, it's fair to say that football gets ever more commercial with each new season. It's not just the big boys like Manchester United and Chelsea who are willing to sell their souls for a quick buck either, as Stoke City have now come up with a revolutionary and quite bizarre new way of selling advertising space - blades of grass on their pitch.

However, this announcement does seem to be a bit more like an advertisement for Sky Sports and their Sky+ HD high-definition coverage of matches, rather than a serious attempt by the Potters to get firms to sign up to advertise on a blade of grass. Apparently, last season, Sky Sports HD broadcast over 300 hours' worth of football in high definition. With crisp, clear pictures and vivid colour, every single aspect of the ground can be scrutinised by viewers at home - this even includes the 50 million blades of grass under players' feet.

So Sky+ HD is working with Stoke to brand individual blades of grass on their pitch with sponsors' logos, so the high definition cameras can pick up the intricate detail, providing local advertisers with an innovative way of promoting their brand to viewers at home. Well, the viewers who are bored enough to want to use their hi-def coverage to zoom in on a blade of grass and look at an advert, anyway.

Andy Billingham, Stoke City's Head of Sales explained: "We were intrigued when Sky approached us with this unique idea. Now we're in the Premier League we're looking for ways to maximise our advertising and sponsorship, but we never thought of selling space on individual blades of grass! We're already speaking with one sponsor to see if we can move this forward."

Sky's Christian Cull said: "We're always looking for new and creative ways to make the most of our cutting edge technology. From beads of sweat on players' faces to tears of sadness or joy on fans in the crowd, our Sky+ HD cameras pick up every last detail. So why not investigate an opportunity like this with the one thing that's shown the most - the turf!"

Indeed. However, we have to say that we have some reservations. For a start, which poor sap from the Stoke groundstaff will be given the task of glueing these miniscule little corporate logos onto individual blades of grass, and how much will the CSI equipment that they'll need to do it cost? And who exactly would pay money to have their advert put on something that has footballers running all over it? Would they get a refund if the blade was broken during a match? How would they tell?

Yes, the season hasn't even started properly yet and we've already found the daftest story...
    [​IMG]

17. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

All of those are MANUFACTURER logos with the only exception being the NFL equipment logo (which is supposed to veify licensed merchandise).

That's a far cry from Gallery Furniture, Fred Haas Toyota World, Burger King, etc. - the thought of something like that on a Texans uni makes me want to barf.

18. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Regardless if it's a manufacturers logo or not, it's still advertising on an NFL uniform. Or do Under Armour, Nike and Wilson not sell the same products to the general public?

19. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

all of the logos you refer to are what I would classify as subtle. what the consensus is in this thread is we don't want something similar to what say...Premeir League soccer has.

20. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

I wonder what would be the sponsor logo on the Titan's jersies. My bet is something to do with moonshine,tobacco or mullett care products.
    The Cowboys could be sponsored by the Texas department of corrections or plastic surgeons with the phrase "hey if we can make Skeletor look almost human, imagine what we can do with your wife." May be a bit long but its better than the forseeable future of Jerry putting his name infront of the Cowboys. "JERRY'S Dallas Cowboys"