Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sources Close to the team

michaelm

vox nihili
Ok, there are a few posters on the MB who periodically post info from 'a source or sources close to the team' or something similar.
I have no reason to doubt anyone, but I haven't been around long enough to know when to believe someone when they say this.
I mean, many of the posts go unquestioned, so I take it as a generally accepted fact that many of you know that these people do, in fact have such a source at their disposal.
I just don't know who does have such access, and why I should believe them when they make this claim.
Is there any publicly available info on who is considered a believeable source of info from such a source? By publicly I mean information that we can discuss here without offending anyone or blowing anyone's cover. I don't really want specifics, I just want to know who is credible when they make this claim.
Can some of you elders show this young lad (in MB years!) the way to the truth? Or is that asking too much?

p.s. mods, I posted this here, because it is specifically in regards to the Texans.

Just like anything else on this board....... I take it all with a grain of salt. They may have a source, or sources close to the team, or industry insiders.... it doesn't change my opinion, if someone disagrees.....

if for instance someone says that people in the know don't believe Vince will be selected by the Texans, or in the top ten for that matter, and they have inside information, I won't believe it till the day after the draft... for one thing, that isn't the kind of information that teams need to be leaking. Another, falling out of the top ten doesn't make sense, and with 32 teams in the league, and you never know who is willing to trade for what, it's hard to say he'll drop out of the top 10. But that's just my opinion vs theirs, I don't see the point in getting in a tiff over it.

Now if I hear something here, before I get it in the Chronicle, or ESPN, or some other news source I trust, then I'll start believing those folks more often. So far, that hasn't been the case.

This is a gossip board. People like to start rumors all the time. Anyone can come in here and say that they are a "source close to the team". The only way of finding out whether someone hits more than misses, is simply to keep track of the rumor-starters and see how often they pan out in the end. As, always . . . consider any source before you take it as gospel.

Now for what it's worth . . . in my mind their is a poster here called 'bdiddy' who I regard as a "source close to the team". His track record, for the most part, seems to be accurate enough to where I pay attention to him more than others. But he earned it. I just didn't take someone else's word for it.

Generally, I think anyone who has a "source close to the team" has been playing too much Madden.

Granted, some people might be telling the truth, but message boards are annoymous (stating the obvious I know) and are mostly just wishes people have for their favorite team. People will post anything to get a response, and saying something is from "a source close to the team" is an easy way to make people believe what you say. Don't take it too seriously until it happens.

Most of us live in the state of Texas, have been around Houston football for decades, played sports in college, do the luncheon tours with the Texans, etc. What I am trying to get at is that there are not many degrees of separation between the posters on the board and people who know people. Moreover, there are may people who do not fit that altogether who bring terrific opinions/takes on how the game is played.

The net of it is, is that is incumbent upon the reader to formulate their own opinion on what they read here and elsewhere while taking into account who is disseminating the message. The holy grail is not here, but it may be as close as you come to taking the true pulse of the Texans.

A "source" could very well be close to the team, but might "leak" false info on purpose.

Even if we're 100% sure "poster XXXX" is CC himself, his message may deliberately be misleading.

michaelm said:
I mean, many of the posts go unquestioned, so I take it as a generally accepted fact that many of you know that these people do, in fact have such a source at their disposal.

Eeh--IMO there is just no profit in calling anyone out on it when there is no way to have proof one way or another. A few observations though. First, take a look around at some of the recent insider claims and you will find directly conflicting "insider information." Second, one thing to consider is how often does the insider information match the already displayed opinion of the poster--funny how rarely you see, "I really want X but my sources say they don't like X and are going with Y." Last, there seems to have been an influx in the last couple months of folks who are either coaches or have insider sources--IMO it is a little odd the MB survived for 4 years with very few such claims and now a bunch of guys who are intimately involved and/or connected to football are finally interested in the Texans' MB.

Sportsfan said:
I met a guy at a party about a month or so ago who use to live next to Gaffney and he ran into him in a mall and they spoke about the team and Carr, the mods locked it though for whatever reason. Guess they thought i was full of it or something. Like I sit around thinking up stories to post on this MB. :ok:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=17591

No, it was locked because it was devolving--ex. see last post in the thread.

Sportsfan said:
I met a guy at a party about a month or so ago who use to live next to Gaffney and he ran into him in a mall and they spoke about the team and Carr, the mods locked it though for whatever reason. Guess they thought i was full of it or something. Like I sit around thinking up stories to post on this MB. :ok:

I read the thread Sportsfan and it appears it had less do with your submission and more with the direction other posters were taking it.

Sportsfan said:

It looks to me like they canned the thread because it was on the verge of degenerating into a name calling thread. Parts of it might make interesting reading to you, michaelm.

I just love how some people here love to sit and wait for the opportunity to pounce on someone and prove them wrong. So they didn't lock it for the reasons i stated-- big deal. I didn't feel like reading back through all of the minutia of that thread.

Sportsfan said:
I just love how some people here love to sit and wait for the opportunity to pounce on someone and prove them wrong. So they didn't lock it for the reasons i stated-- big deal. I didn't feel like reading back through all of the minutia of that thread.

Well not to pounce on you again, but IMO your post in this thread had an implied question/invalid assertion about why the original thread was closed. No pouncing was intended, just trying to clear things up by giving the reason the thread was closed.

The good and bad of messageboards is you don't know who to believe. On one hand information can eaisly be leaked through a message boad without anyone knowing who leaked it. On the other hand people who know nothing about a team can start a rumor that has no truth. All you can do is see whats here and look at other sources. once you can collaborate it with a few sources then you can start to believe it.

Time and credibility temper what you should believe and what you don’t. If you have been here a while and have relayed good information....then you may be listened to more than someone with one post on a largely anonymous message board. I say 'largely anonymous' because many of us have met at one time or another. Otherwise, nobody knows who XYZTexan fan is and whatever he says is like taking stock tips from the homeless people downtown.

Vinny said:
Time and credibility temper what you should believe and what you don’t. If you have been here a while and have relayed good information....then you may be listened to more than someone with one post on a largely anonymous message board. I say 'largely anonymous' because many of us have met at one time or another. Otherwise, nobody knows who XYZTexan fan is and whatever he says is like taking stock tips from the homeless people downtown.

I thought that's the source Casserly uses for scouting players?:heh:

Prior to the draft I wouldn't believe anything you hear or read unless you see or read it from a major media source. ie: espn, nfl.com, chronicle and then it could still change.

I would just like to politely caution the posters on this message board to watch their comments, especially comments that are personally deragatory about the players. Not a one of us ever know as much as we think we do and once those comments are made you can't take them back. We've got a new yaer ahead of us with new coaches and new and old players. Let's see what they can do -- GO TEXANS!

People really close to the team probably because they get everything first hand don't post on message boards because there is little incentive to do so.

Sportsfan said:

The first time I stated in a post that I was related in some way to GK was about 18 months back give or take .... long prior to the last coaching staffs blow up .... In that thread I stated nothing more than my relation to GK and the fact we had discussed his interest in coaching the team , Nothing more .....
Shortly there-after the whole thread was completely deleted , not just locked .... Cant recall exactly why but I think it was due to it in the words of Runner .... "degenerating into a name calling thread" . Vinny DB or Infantrycak probably know more about why it was deleted .... I cant remember which Mod was involved ....But this happened prior to me being able to read the replies.

I subsuquently made a post in the no spin zone about censorship which was rather harsh twards the mods which was Quickly canned also .... Im kinda surprised I didnt get banned for that one .... No foul language but a rather harsh opinion on the subject to the point of comparing the mods to communist dictators :embarrass ..... Since that time If a Mod has modified a post Ive made they will usually PM me with a reason why , I find that to be quite nice . In general they only try to keep the board clear of riff-raff , If we want wide open conversations there are other Texans MB's .... None of which I visit .

As for your thread Sportsfan It was generally well recieved by some long standing members of the board ....

Back to the original point of the thread .... I think Kaiser Toro said it best ....

Most of us live in the state of Texas, have been around Houston football for decades, played sports in college, do the luncheon tours with the Texans, etc. What I am trying to get at is that there are not many degrees of separation between the posters on the board and people who know people. Moreover, there are may people who do not fit that altogether who bring terrific opinions/takes on how the game is played.

The net of it is, is that is incumbent upon the reader to formulate their own opinion on what they read here and elsewhere while taking into account who is disseminating the message. The holy grail is not here, but it may be as close as you come to taking the true pulse of the Texans.

By the way .... Mods thanks for keeping our board a nice place to visit

thunderkyss said:
Now if I hear something here, before I get it in the Chronicle, or ESPN, or some other news source I trust, then I'll start believing those folks more often. So far, that hasn't been the case.

You are in a world of hurt if you TRUST what you read in the Chronicle or see on ESPN. You have my condolences!! I can count on ONE hand the number of posters on this board that I trust to post true and accurate information. This is an opinion board, and that is mostly what you get.

infantrycak said:
Last, there seems to have been an influx in the last couple months of folks who are either coaches or have insider sources--IMO it is a little odd the MB survived for 4 years with very few such claims and now a bunch of guys who are intimately involved and/or connected to football are finally interested in the Texans' MB.

I couldn't agree more.

This is a little known fact, I am on the speed dial of all 32 NFL owners, GMs, coaches and all players and their agents. However, I think the opinions I come up with are a lot more fun (and controversial) than info I receive. So I choose to stick to voicing my opinion which is based on what little I truly know and what (mostly) I want. The MB is strictly for guesses and regurgitating what has been read or heard elsewhere. For me it is fun, often thoughtful and sometimes even educational. The only thing I dislike is when comments escalate into "put downs" or back and forth bickering or my player or opinion is better than yours.

I wouldn't believe any coach or GM right now.. they all have their agenda's

players are hyped and next thing you know a team grabs a player that when you do a search on then internet to see if any discussion was mentioned about the player going to that team.. nothing was said beforehand..

teams play the game where they hype up a player that they have no interest in so that another team will "reach" for that player..only to get the player they really wanted ..

nothing against Babin, but I wonder if he would have still been there if we didn't trade up for him ...not that I dislike babin, just wonder what mind games were played that day.

Meloy said:
This is a little known fact, I am on the speed dial of all 32 NFL owners, GMs, coaches and all players and their agents. However, I think the opinions I come up with are a lot more fun (and controversial) than info I receive. So I choose to stick to voicing my opinion which is based on what little I truly know and what (mostly) I want. The MB is strictly for guesses and regurgitating what has been read or heard elsewhere. For me it is fun, often thoughtful and sometimes even educational. The only thing I dislike is when comments escalate into "put downs" or back and forth bickering or my player or opinion is better than yours.

Paul, is that you?

First, I am in agreement about the mods. All of them do a great job, and are underappreciated.

Basically, I use the Vinny method. There are handful of posters I trust at this point. As far as leaking info, I have been made aware of certain "things", and have kept quiet, as I have given my word, and my word is my bond. Most of it I get from one individual, and he knows that I keep my mouth shut, which allows me to learn more things, so it's a win-win. I just wonder if these so-called inside sources are ever sworn to secrecy. I mean, I can't imagine that anyone with any real decision making power in the Texans FO is just going to blab to some distant 3rd cousin that the Texans are taking Bush (for instance). So, I take things with a grain or two of salt, and go from there. Nevertheless, it makes for interesting reading and discussion, and sometimes there is a real diamond of a "tip" so, sure I pay attention.

While I agree there's allot of inaccurate information on this board, I am surprised at how quickly verifiable information hit. All in all, I think the mods do a darn good job, and so do many of the posters.

I try to be as rational as possible, but I admit it, I get caught up in particular thread or poster that I like or dislike. I find this board, for me anyway, is sort of a guilty pleasure. It's like the chocolate you hide in the bottom draw of your desk. You just have to reach down and swipe a piece a couple of times a day.

Wharton said:
While I agree there's allot of inaccurate information on this board, I am surprised at how quickly verifiable information hit. All in all, I think the mods do a darn good job, and so do many of the posters.

I try to be as rational as possible, but I admit it, I get caught up in particular thread or poster that I like or dislike. I find this board, for me anyway, is sort of a guilty pleasure. It's like the chocolate you hide in the bottom draw of your desk. You just have to reach down and swipe a piece a couple of times a day.
MMMMM Chocolate!
:homer:

Eh, Im one of the people this refers to, so i'll go ahead and just put my cards on the table. I do have a source close to the team. My sister went to college with the guy, he was best man at her wedding, he and I are friends, and we email once or twice a week, and go to dinner once every couple of months. That being said, he is a friend of mine, so Im not privy to really anymore inside information than anyone else. You wont ever hear me posting specifics, because that is the sort of thing that could cost him his job. We will talk in generalities, and occasionally he will tell me something before the general public knows it (he mentioned Tony Banks was getting released last time we spoke) but by and large its a very secretive job he has. I think all of the scouts take things seriously, so I personally doubt anybody who says somebody told them something. Just my personal experience, take it for what its worth.

My third cousin sold a puppy to a dude that changes the trash bags in Mr. McNair's office. Would that count as a "source close to the team"? ;)

I don't necessarily believe or disbelieve anyone with insider info. It's not really my thing to discern honestly on the internet. For me, it's really a matter of taking it all in and seeing how it plays out. I'm sure even those folks on the inside can see events change the course of the decision making procees. Heck, even John McClain, with locker room access, doesn't get it right all the time.

I was not going to give up my source until I was slapped with an indictment, so here it is - a smilie playing piano with a dancing banana on top. :piano: Reap the whirlwind, reap it!

Back