Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Some people are IMPOSSIBLE to please!

Ever since the season ended people have been screaming for Carr to be run out of town.

So the Texans FINALLY make a move to replace David Carr and some of you people ARE STILL COMPLAINING!

I personally am THRILLED by this trade!

Gave up too much? Really? The tender on him was a 1st and a 3rd round pick. We managed to keep our first round pick. Swapping #8 for #10 isn't going to hurt much. We'll still get one of the players we target (Okoye, Landry, Brown, or maybe Leon Hall). The value of 2 second round picks is less than the value of a 1st and a 3rd. So IMO actually gave up less than they wanted.

And then figure in whatever we managed to get for Carr as a part of this deal. If we can get a 3rd round pick, then we're even that much better off!

And why are you people being so pessimistic? If you could have chosen any AVAILABLE FA or RFA quarterback that you would want on your team Schaub is BY FAR the best choice! I honeslty didn't think Atlanta would move him. I thought they might move Vick before Schaub!

They got BY FAR the best AVALIABLE option. Schaub is 25 years old, has already been in the league for 3 years learning, and is HUNGRY to prove his worth at the NFL level. I think we just got our QB for the next 8-10 years!

Schaub is highly regarded around the ENTIRE NFL as a future star that just needs a chance. I personally think this guy will be the next Matt Hasslebeck or Tom Brady.

What were our other options?

Garcia - he's old and only has a couple years left at most.
Plummer - lost desire for the game and again 7 years older than Schaub
Harrington - lol
Draft a QB? - We've already been down that around and you'd be back at square one with developmental stages.

Congrats Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith. Way to go get your man! Lets build around this guy and leave the Carr era in the past.

Ever since the season ended people have been screaming for Carr to be run out of town.

So the Texans FINALLY make a move to replace David Carr and some of you people ARE STILL COMPLAINING!

Gave up too much? Really? The tender on him was a 1st and a 3rd round pick. We managed to keep our first round pick. Swapping #8 for #10 isn't going to hurt much. We'll still get one of the players we target (Okoye, Landry, Brown, or maybe Leon Hall). The value of 2 second round picks is less than the value of a 1st and a 3rd. So IMO actually gave up less than they wanted.

And then figure in whatever we managed to get for Carr as a part of this deal. If we can get a 3rd round pick, then we're even that much better off!

And why are you people being so pessimistic? If you could have chosen any AVAILABLE FA or RFA quarterback that you would want on your team Schaub is BY FAR the best choice! I honeslty didn't think Atlanta would move him. I thought they might move Vick before Schaub!

They got BY FAR the best AVALIABLE option. Schaub is 25 years old, has already been in the league for 3 years learning, and is HUNGRY to prove his worth at the NFL level. I think we just got our QB for the next 8-10 years!

Schaub is highly regarded around the ENTIRE NFL as a future star that just needs a chance. I personally think this guy will be the next Matt Hasslebeck or Tom Brady.

Harrington - lol
Draft a QB? - We've already been down that around and you'd be back at square one with developmental stages.

Congrats Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith. Way to go get your man! Lets build around this guy and leave the Carr era in the past.

That's because a meaningful portion of posters on this board like to complain about something. It's what they do. Now that David is on the way to a new team, they will naturally have to find something new to complain about.

Harrington - lol

I'm with you DBC!!! I can't wait for the season to begin!!!

Harrington - lol

Personally, I'm pumped and can't wait to see Schaub in a Texan's uniform. I agree 100% with everything you just said. I don't think a 2nd round is a lot to ask for Schaub, and we only drop 2 spots in the first. Sure, we lose a 2nd rounder next year which could prove to be a grave mistake if schaub somehow doesn't live up to his hype, but thats a year away and it's conceivable to believe that we will be able to get it back via a trade with another team. Maybe we can trade carr and another player for next years 2nd rounder?

Harrington - lol

I'm certainly hoping for the best. When I told my son (a sports geek and athlete if there ever was one) he was thrilled. He feels Schaub was the best non-starting QB in the league. We will see.

However, I also know there are more holes to fill and wasn't part of the ABC gang. I just felt that the QB was not the most important need.

That being said. I'm glad the QB issue is finally settled until the ABS crowd starts ginning up next year. I wish DC the best of luck in the future.

A new QB and a fresh start with one of the best QB gurus in the league to help him along. Lots of reasons to look forward to 2007!

I know this is how these boards work but does anyone else feel that 30 pages of posts on a certain topic is impossible to even get in on.

This team in 2007 could go 19-0 (including playoffs), all while they traded for Reggie Bush, Chad Johnson, Antonio Gates, Champ Bailey, and Julius Peppers before the trade deadline...win every game by 80 points apiece...and ppl will still complain saying "we shoulda won by 100".

Harrington - lol

This is a bold risky move regardless of your complaining about people complaining.

Just because Atlanta put a tender offer on him doesn't mean someone had to pay them. Altanta was playing a game of chicken to get value before Schuab became unrestricted free agent next year. The Texans bit! Just like they did last year with Moulds, zero patience.

From the outset, Atlanta got one hell of deal. For the Texans to get one hell of a deal, Schuab needs to go All Pro and the Texans need to flirt with a Super Bowl appearance.

IMO, the Texans have zero patience when they should, and have all the patience in the world when they shouldn't.

We'll see what happens...

Do we even know WHY we should like Schaub, or is it just that David won't be here. WHAT has Schaub done? He is a backup for heaven's sake. He hasn't done anymore than Sage. Or has he., Someone explain, why we would do this?

My personal take on Matt Schaub and the difference between him and David Carr is that Shaub seems to have the intangibles.

My main problem with Carr is that he could never escape the pocket and Matt can. Carr had great mobility but it didn't really matter with him b/ he was so dang slow in reading the pocket collapsing.

Do we even know WHY we should like Schaub, or is it just that David won't be here. WHAT has Schaub done? He is a backup for heaven's sake. He hasn't done anymore than Sage. Or has he., Someone explain, why we would do this?

He was playing backup to Michael Vick. Atlanta was not going to play Schaub in front of him. Almost like they did with Brett Farve in 1992. Schaub is highly regarded around the NFL. I can't wait for this season to start!

The truth is that nobody really knows what the hell is gonna happen with shaub. He could be the next Steve young or the next scott mitchell. NOBODY KNOWS!!! But there is alot of so called "draft experts" on this board that know everything and of course they're gonna say "we got robbed, we only should have given up a third for him". Well, in reality you have to give up something to get something in return.

This is a bold risky move regardless of your complaining about people complaining.

Just because Atlanta put a tender offer on him doesn't mean someone had to pay them. Altanta was playing a game of chicken to get value before Schuab became unrestricted free agent next year. The Texans bit! Just like they did last year with Moulds, zero patience.

From the outset, Atlanta got one hell of deal. For the Texans to get one hell of a deal, Schuab needs to go All Pro and the Texans need to flirt with a Super Bowl appearance.

IMO, the Texans have zero patience when they should, and have all the patience in the world when they shouldn't.

I agree with most of this, except the super bowl comment, maybe you're being sarcastic. I can see expecting Schaub to turn in a near or true All-Pro performance to justify the cost, but I don't expect 2 second round choices to buy a 6-10 team a flirtation with a superbowl appearance, regardless of who the players are. If superbowl appearances were that cheap we should've done this years ago. Suffice to say, if Schaub has a performance worthy of Pro Bowl consideration this year I will be viewing this deal in a much more positive light, with or without the Super Bowl flirtations.

Hollywood Texan- I usually agree with every post you make on this board, but I have to disagree with your conclusion here. I do agree that this was a bold move, but why can't this move be a good move unless Schaub becomes an all-pro and the Texans flirt with a Super Bowl appearance? When it comes down to it, the Texans gave up their 2nd pick in the 2008. Are you telling me that if we go 9-7 next year and Schaub establishes himself as a solid starter (but not all-pro), that this will be a bad move? What if we make the Super Bowl in four years, but Schaub never proves to be more than an average QB, will it still be a bad move?

Trust me, I get it. Honestly, I have gone from excited about this move to extremely concerned, but we have to try to stay fair here. The front office is trying to make this team better, which I think we have done with this move. Maybe we paid too much, but it isn't fair to make the benchmark for every move that it result in a Super Bowl appearance...we were 2-14 last year. Before last year, which one of our second round picks is even close to be considered an all-pro?

My concern is not so much the relative success of this move, but the consequences if this guy is just a bust. With as much upside as Shaub has, the downside to the FRANCHISE if he is a bust is ten times as great. Apart from further mortgaging our future, the PR hit we take if this doesn't work out will just be horrible for everyone involved. It is already hard to be a Texans fan, but coupled with the decisions made last year this time, it may become more than people care to deal with. Lets be honest, we are pretty much the laughing stock of the NFL for the moves made last draft. If Schaub is not an upgrade, then I think we the franchise will have spent any goodwill developed last year.

This move opens up a lot of old wounds regarding the decisions made last year, but I will be hoping that Schaub is the player that Kubiak and Smith think he can be. If we can reach .500 next year, we show consistency on offense and we win games because of Schaub, and not in spite of him, I will consider this move a success. After that, we have a 27 year old QB with a full year of Kubiak's system under his belt and we are all optimistic. Anything more than that, Smith and Kubiak are looking really smart.

Harrington - lol

yeah some people are hard to please....You should talk to my ex-girlfriend shheeeshhhhh

:wheel:

Hollywood Texan- I usually agree with every post you make on this board, but I have to disagree with your conclusion here. I do agree that this was a bold move, but why can't this move be a good move unless Schaub becomes an all-pro and the Texans flirt with a Super Bowl appearance? When it comes down to it, the Texans gave up their 2nd pick in the 2008. Are you telling me that if we go 9-7 next year and Schaub establishes himself as a solid starter (but not all-pro), that this will be a bad move? What if we make the Super Bowl in four years, but Schaub never proves to be more than an average QB, will it still be a bad move?

Trust me, I get it. Honestly, I have gone from excited about this move to extremely concerned, but we have to try to stay fair here. The front office is trying to make this team better, which I think we have done with this move. Maybe we paid too much, but it isn't fair to make the benchmark for every move that it result in a Super Bowl appearance...we were 2-14 last year. Before last year, which one of our second round picks is even close to be considered an all-pro?

My concern is not so much the relative success of this move, but the consequences if this guy is just a bust. With as much upside as Shaub has, the downside to the FRANCHISE if he is a bust is ten times as great. Apart from further mortgaging our future, the PR hit we take if this doesn't work out will just be horrible for everyone involved. It is already hard to be a Texans fan, but coupled with the decisions made last year this time, it may become more than people care to deal with. Lets be honest, we are pretty much the laughing stock of the NFL for the moves made last draft. If Schaub is not an upgrade, then I think we the franchise will have spent any goodwill developed last year.

This move opens up a lot of old wounds regarding the decisions made last year, but I will be hoping that Schaub is the player that Kubiak and Smith think he can be. If we can reach .500 next year, we show consistency on offense and we win games because of Schaub, and not in spite of him, I will consider this move a success. After that, we have a 27 year old QB with a full year of Kubiak's system under his belt and we are all optimistic. Anything more than that, Smith and Kubiak are looking really smart.

If it cost us AP in the first round is it still a good deal.

hollywood texan has it EXACTLY right.

I think for once I am agreeing with Hollywood Texan... I think we bit too much with the 2nd 2nd rounder... but I like Schaub as a player... I think we might have overspent.. the swap of 8 to 10 I think is inconsequential...we'll still get an equivalent value.

I think this gives us a good chance to win in the next few years... Hopefully, the fan base doesn't boo him if his first pass goes incomplete.

This transaction is definitely a turning point in the organization in terms of leadership and expectations about winning. Inevitably, people will come here to spout about something negative to show how knowledgeable they are... so let them have 40 pages plus of material on a topic...

its a great trade.

like you said we aren't giving up anything in the first round. landry, brown, hall, okoye, nelson etc. are all guys who could immediately come in and be HUGE upgrades to anything we have.

We give up two second round picks for Shaub..one of the brighest young QB's in the NFL. Much better than anything on the FA market and possibly the draft.

And we still could get a third rounder in return for Carr.

a 4th round pick for a pro-bowl reciever is zero patience, how? name a FA reciever last year who was better than Eric Moulds?

how would you go about getting a QB this year? What would you give up and for whom?

winning will solve everything, well at least this topic :)

That's really the bottom line. Overall, the Texans have not done anything to earn trust over 5 years. Until they make a series of decision that lead to winning, pretty much anything they do will be questioned. Staying pat is the worng move, going after the top Qb in FA the wrong move. Drafting a rookie in the first round the wrong move.

If it cost us AP in the first round is it still a good deal.

You're assuming a bit. If Smith/Kubiak didn't want AD even if he fell to us and were planning on drafting Lynch or Levi instead, is it a good deal? If AD falls to 10, is it a good deal?

Let's face it, if AD falls to 8, are either the Falcons or Dolphins going to take him? Maybe, but maybe not.

Personally, I'll be surprised if AD falls that far.

Back