Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

What I remember most about Mallet from Arkansas is that he overthrew his receivers a lot. Perhaps I didn't watch them play enough, but I immediately think of the ball sailing over receivers' heads.

Sad thing would be writing silly rules like

...no QBs who wear #8.
...no QBs at 1.1 if there is a DE available.
...no QBs who were backups.
...no white QBs.
...no QBs the coach has a connection or affinity to.

Pretty soon we're going to be looking for a hispanic QB at spot 13.5 who has a third nipple and no vowels in his name.

He's got to be at least 6'6"

Sooo we are gonna do this again, 8 years later? Gonna attached every player and coach that was in New England to coming to the Texans....

Man I remember when talks were getting Jake Plummber out of retirement to be the QB for the Texans because of Kubiak...

sad thing is, all of these scenario's are plausible...

Except Gary couldn't get Jake out of retirement and had to settle for Schaub.

I think BOB should just offer up 1-1 for RG3 and be done with it. Oh wait.... there's already a thread on that somewhere.

Not really

Except Gary couldn't get Jake out of retirement and had to settle for Schaub.

We don't know Kubiak ever wanted Plummer. All indications are he did not. Your history is screwed up. Plummer was traded to the Bucs in 2007. We could have traded for him instead. His objection was to learning a new system which applied to the Bucs but not the Texans. The trade went down to the Bucs and then he retired.

"Bears backup Josh McCown said Monday there are four teams that have contacted his representatives about signing with them as a free agent.

McCown would not reveal the teams, but ESPN Chicago reported that the Bucs, Jets, Texans and Bears are making a strong push to sign the 35-year-old veteran."

"McCown had a career year in 2013, going 3-2 with the Bears in relief of injured starter Jay Cutler, completing 149 of 224 pass attempts for 1,829 yards, 13 touchdowns and one interception. He finished the season as the NFL’s third highest-rated quarterback with a 109.0 passer rating"

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcBvP?...medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=houston-texans

This is truely scrapping the bottom of the barrel. The dude has had one good year in 11 years. Please don't do this Rick. If we have to sign a veteran from what's left available, I'd rather take a chance on Tavaris Jackson.

This is truely scrapping the bottom of the barrel. The dude has had one good year in 11 years. Please don't do this Rick. If we have to sign a veteran from what's left available, I'd rather take a chance on Tavaris Jackson.

Even worse:

ESPN SA ‏@ESPN1250 28m
A man in the know with the #Texans, @McClain_on_NFL says Matt McGloin or Brian Hoyer could be signed by the team, not Cassel or Mallett.

Even worse:

ESPN SA ‏@ESPN1250 28m
A man in the know with the #Texans, @McClain_on_NFL says Matt McGloin or Brian Hoyer could be signed by the team, not Cassel or Mallett.
I just heard that John McClain has made a guarantee that the earth is flat.

Even worse:

ESPN SA ‏@ESPN1250 28m

I thought Brian Hoyer looked pretty good before he was injured. I don't know much about Matt McGloin besides Oakland/PSU.

The more I think of it, I think texans are gonna pull a alex smith with schaub. I think with the dearth of solid qbs, I think they will keep schaub and still draft a qb. If schaub shows he's at least as good as he was in 2012, they'll trade him for a 3rd or so. I mean carson palmer has been terrible for the last 5 yrs and he had a market.

Hopefully all this smoke will die down by the time we play the third Preseason game.

The more I think of it, I think texans are gonna pull a alex smith with schaub. I think with the dearth of solid qbs, I think they will keep schaub and still draft a qb. If schaub shows he's at least as good as he was in 2012, they'll trade him for a 3rd or so. I mean carson palmer has been terrible for the last 5 yrs and he had a market.

Palmer didn't have a bad contract like Schaub, that's why Schaub has little trade value.

What market did he have? He got the Raiders to pick him up. That doesn't count as a market. That is the dumbest franchise ran by complete bums over the last 10 years. I wouldn't classify that as having a market for him.

What market did he have? He got the Raiders to pick him up. That doesn't count as a market. That is the dumbest franchise ran by complete bums over the last 10 years. I wouldn't classify that as having a market for him.

Palmer was traded to the cardinals last yr. I'm not a schaub or palmer fan,but his last 5 yrs has been better than palmer and he's younger. If they get schaubs salary down like philly did vck and 49ers did with smith and raiders did with palmer,next yr itw a tradeable contract. There are a few teams that can use a schaub type qb. Jax just resigned henne and cassell just resigned with vikes for 6m. If schaub is reduced to 7m, his play and contract is attractive to teams in the league. There is enough in cleveland with schaub to win 10 games. Not saying they win sb, but they would threaten that division with their talent and schaub not throwing pick 6's.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9124762&src=desktop

If Schaub was playing for league minimum we'd be lucky to get a six round pick for him, no way in hell we could get a 3rd round pick.

Schaub is getting cut plain and simple. Even if he gives us the best chance out of the scraps out there in FA BOB doesn't want the heat Schaub would bring from the fan base.

If Schaub was playing for league minimum we'd be lucky to get a six round pick for him, no way in hell we could get a 3rd round pick.

Schaub is getting cut plain and simple. Even if he gives us the best chance out of the scraps out there in FA BOB doesn't want the heat Schaub would bring from the fan base.

U think O'Brien cares about the fan base? Kubiak didn't care when he came in and tried to fix david carr. Every sf fan was sick and tired of alex smith and harbaugh did his homework and in the end got the 33rd pick for him. I'm just saying that no matter what or who the fans are crying for, doesn't matter. They could make schaub contract tradeable next yr. Don't be surprised or stunned if schaub is the starter in 2014.

Palmer was traded to the cardinals last yr. I'm not a schaub or palmer fan,but his last 5 yrs has been better than palmer and he's younger. If they get schaubs salary down like philly did vck and 49ers did with smith and raiders did with palmer,next yr itw a tradeable contract. There are a few teams that can use a schaub type qb. Jax just resigned henne and cassell just resigned with vikes for 6m. If schaub is reduced to 7m, his play and contract is attractive to teams in the league. There is enough in cleveland with schaub to win 10 games. Not saying they win sb, but they would threaten that division with their talent and schaub not throwing pick 6's.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9124762&src=desktop

True, but they have to appraise Schaub based on last year, not the past five. Just like Delhomme, the only team that will pick him up is one desperate for a stop gap.

I'm beginning to believe that whichever of these FA QB's that the Texans sign will basically be a crash test dummy.

True, but they have to appraise Schaub based on last year, not the past five. Just like Delhomme, the only team that will pick him up is one desperate for a stop gap.

I'm beginning to believe that whichever of these FA QB's that the Texans sign will basically be a crash test dummy.

Could be,but maybe last yr was an anomoly vs the norm with schaub. I've never been a schaub fan even when people thought he was good. Even I thought he was out of character of sorts. He's never been able to drive the ball outside the #s,but his decision got worse game by game. I can see a scenerio where o'brien sees if he can fix him for next yr until he gets the drafted qb up to speed. Meanwhile,the team can use the rest of the draft and low end fa to plug holes. Not saying I like it,but I can se it.

I feel good that we didn't sign Cassell for 2 years $10M... makes me believe we're bargain shopping. Hopefully our bid is so low, none of these guys bite.

Tj & Case can be tackling dummies.

Yeah, but we're talking about a system, not the system O'Brian is going to run. Frankly, we don't know what system OB is going to run, just as much as most of us hope that Crennel will finesse his two-gap 3-4 system to utilize a talent like Watt, the same way we're hoping OB doesn't run a somewhat vanilla system like he ran at Penn State. It's pretty close to obvious that OB would open up his Penn State profile to NFL standards, but to assume we're going to be the Petite Patriots is a little of a stretch at the moment.

Totally agree, and that's why OB is (should be?) evaluating if the time spent learning a different system made that prospect better than another prospect.

About trust, though, I'm not sure how much fan trust is going to have any bearing on what the FO sees in O'Brian, any more than what we say or do has an affect on what happens on the field.

What I ment was that we shouldnt hope for the FO to fire OB at the first negative result. However I think even fans have some importance.

If fans didn't count for anything you wouldn't have the "home field advantage", if say OB decide to work looking at the long term and takes decision that are not really good for the short term, the texans will have a mediocre year in 2014 and fans start booing every game at home, I think that has influence in the players performance.

Of course what we say here has no influence at all, but a general distrust could lead to a bad working environment.

There is a 50% chance we keeps Shaub...$10,000,000 is alot to just give someone to go away.Before last year Shaub was in the top 15 QBs.Just alot of smack talk.If anyone on this board was writing the check for $10mil,and no trade...YA ....SURE.

1.keep Shaub /Clowney/ 1st pick
2.pick #33 rookie QB that BOB likes
The new coach has not even seen a TEXAN QB throw the ball. Shaub/Case/or T.J.Yates.

Theres my $1.25
:spit:

Well, since they turned the "Who's your QB in 2014" thread into a Ryan Mallet thread, I don't know what to do anymore.

Maybe we need a "QB not on the roster" thread...but I'm sure that would just turn into another Bridgewater, Maziel, Bortles pissing contest. Oh, sprinkle in some Mallet too. :kitten:

There is a 50% chance we keeps Shaub...$10,000,000 is alot to just give someone to go away.Before last year Shaub was in the top 15 QBs.Just alot of smack talk.If anyone on this board was writing the check for $10mil,and no trade...YA ....SURE.

1.keep Shaub /Clowney/ 1st pick
2.pick #33 rookie QB that BOB likes
The new coach has not even seen a TEXAN QB throw the ball. Shaub/Case/or T.J.Yates.

Theres my $1.25
:spit:

We're not "giving" Schaub $10M to go away. That money was given to him 2 years ago, we just have to account for it on the books. If we keep him through the remainder of his contract we're scheduled to account for it in $3.5M increments this year, 2015, & 2016. Cutting him forces us to accelerate how & when we account for it.

If he stays, we'll be giving him $10M of new money to "hopefully" perform better than last year. Given his performance over the last 18 months, it's highly unlikely that he'll perform to the standard $10M suggests. It really wouldn't be "smart" to give him $10M after what he did last season.

Of course some QBs performed just as bad & will be getting more.... Ryan, Romo, Eli, Flacco..... Ben, but that's another story.

So is there a veteran QB we have not been linked to?

Matt Schaub.

"Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" - Marshall Faulk

According the Marshall Faulk, Matt Schaub, not Teddy Bridgewater, or anyone else give the Texans the best chance to win in 2014. I know this is a loaded question with some of you, but, agree or disagree and why?

Faulk, one of the most vocal Schaub bashers over the last few seasons, my jaw was agape when I watched the video below.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-med...t-chance/f78701a1-c544-44f9-b823-9a836bd68240

Is each one of these bigfoot sightings really worthy of a separate thread?
:foottap:

Well, since they turned the "Who's your QB in 2014" thread into a Ryan Mallet thread, I don't know what to do anymore.

The question mark after Mallett in the title means the thread is just as open as it always was. That was the redundant flag knucklehead standing right next to the sign that says construction ahead.

This just in!!

McNair sends private jet to pick up Brett Favre!

:kitten:

omg.gif

For those having any interest in McClown because of his brief run last season, I would caution with this:

160 comp. 250 att. 64% comp. 8.65 ypa 2162 yds 270 ypg 9 TDs 5 INTs and 95.1 QB rating.

That was David Carr for the first 8 games of 2004. Players hit hot and cold streaks which do not reflect their normal play. With their hot streaks Carr is a 75.9 rating QB and McCown is a 77.5 QB rating QB.

For those having any interest in McClown because of his brief run last season, I would caution with this:

160 comp. 250 att. 64% comp. 8.65 ypa 2162 yds 270 ypg 9 TDs 5 INTs and 95.1 QB rating.

That was David Carr for the first 8 games of 2004. Players hit hot and cold streaks which do not reflect their normal play. With their hot streaks Carr is a 75.9 rating QB and McCown is a 77.5 QB rating QB.

Another thing people don't realize is that Trestman's system is incredibly QB friendly, almost the opposite of O'Brien's. His system requires very few reads and short to intermediate passes where the receiver gobbles up yardage after the catch. Now, McCown did have some big downfield plays over his 5 game stint, but the credit had to go to Alshon Jefferey who was playing out of his mind at the time and catching everything that came his way. I watched all the games McCown started last year and the only one where he really impressed me was the primetime game against the Cowboys...and even in that game I remember him making some awful throws that should have been intercepted but weren't because it was the freakin' cowgirls.

McCown is not a good quarterback and should not be signed for anything other than a dedicated backup role like he had in Chicago.

Of course some QBs performed just as bad & will be getting more.... Ryan, Romo, Eli, Flacco..... Ben, but that's another story.

QB rating in 2013...

Romo - 96.7
Roethlisberger - 92.0
Ryan - 89.6
Flacco - 73.1
Schaub - 73.0
Manning - 69.4

A few guys don't belong in that discussion...

We're not "giving" Schaub $10M to go away. That money was given to him 2 years ago, we just have to account for it on the books. If we keep him through the remainder of his contract we're scheduled to account for it in $3.5M increments this year, 2015, & 2016. Cutting him forces us to accelerate how & when we account for it.

If he stays, we'll be giving him $10M of new money to "hopefully" perform better than last year. Given his performance over the last 18 months, it's highly unlikely that he'll perform to the standard $10M suggests. It really wouldn't be "smart" to give him $10M after what he did last season.

when are figuring the "what will it cost us" you have to take into account the dollars you may spend to bring someone else in. Replacement cost cant be overlooked if you are wanting to bring in a vet to either stop gap or help mentor

Back