Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So, who's getting worried about our RB situation?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Tate out for the year, Slaton a small injury, but an injury none the less, now J. Johnson has a bum toe. Wow.

Chris Henry did make a few nice runs though, but he does seem to go down easily.

Tate out for the year, Slaton a small injury, but an injury none the less, now J. Johnson has a bum toe. Wow.

Chris Henry did make a few nice runs though, but he does seem to go down easily.

We'll have to see how bad Johnson is hurt. I think Henry is expendable if Johnson just has a very minor injury. He's shown enough tonight he's superior to Henry.

Hopefully Johnson just has one of those "It's preseason and we're shutting you down" type injuries... but this is Houston so of coarse my worst fear is he needs surgery.

That large glow you see from Houston to Austin is me lighting all the candles possible in the Austin Catholic Diocese that God may have mercy on our starting QB and starting RB.

Lots of teams make it thru the season with two main backs. Arian as the #1 and Henry as the third down guy. I mean cmon fellas, we were one game away from the playoffs last year and our leading rusher had approx. 437 rush yds!!

Trust me, I would love to have all five of our RB's healthy and available but unfortunately that doesnt seem to be in the cards. As long as we can improve on our pathetic example from last year then I think we will make it thru with a decent record and a playoff appearance. Hopefully by that time, Slaton and Johnson will be back by then and we can do work son.

I mean, if one position is going to lack, its best that its the same crappy position as last year........just trying to look at the bright side here.........if there is one.............what can I say, Im an optimist.

For the record, I think Arian can and will demolish 437 yards rushing this year. That should be good for at least one more win.

Foster is the best back of the bunch because he absolutely gets it. He's going to play the position the way the coaches want it played and take every single yard that's there. I think that by the time the season is over Jeremiah Johnson will be #2 on the depth chart and considered superior to Slaton. He's more like Slaton but again, he seems to be getting the role (much the same way Slaton did in his rookie season) and appears to know when to go down and call it a play. Slaton will be the 3rd down back and start returning kicks at the rate things are going. Henry will be cut if another back the coaches like better gets cut and they can get their hands on him. Henry does not get it (though he showed signs tonight of a hint of patience and the existence of at least minimal vision).

Foster
Johnson
Slaton
Maybe Henry too.

The real fear comes from the prospect of having to start Orlovsky at any point this year. If that happens we're screwed. Orlovsky is ****.

Chris Henry seemed to be hitting his stride a little bit as the game wore on, which I guess is good. Personally, I like Jeremiah Johnson, because he's shown some ability to break tackles, which is something that's sorely needed on this team.

I've seen enough from DanO. If Kubiak has any time at all for tutelage, I want it spent on Booty.

Chris Henry seemed to be hitting his stride a little bit as the game wore on, which I guess is good. Personally, I like Jeremiah Johnson, because he's shown some ability to break tackles, which is something that's sorely needed on this team.

I've seen enough from DanO. If Kubiak has any time at all for tutelage, I want it spent on Booty.

I tend to agree. Booty looks like he has room for improvement. Upside. I suspect we're looking at the very best that can be wrung from Orlovsky. He reminds me of David Carr in his ability to pull a screw-up out of his hat. In four preseason games I've yet to see an opponent with a backup I wouldn't trade Orlovsky for in a heartbeat. That's never a good sign.

I tend to agree. Booty looks like he has room for improvement. Upside. I suspect we're looking at the very best that can be wrung from Orlovsky. He reminds me of David Carr in his ability to pull a screw-up out of his hat. In four preseason games I've yet to see an opponent with a backup I wouldn't trade Orlovsky for in a heartbeat. That's never a good sign.

And it isn't even that good! Some QBs that have that knack at least do brilliant things with the ball some of the time, and then they frustrate you with the mistakes (good Rex/bad Rex, Jake Plummer, etc.). DanO hasn't done anything spectacular. Or if he has, I missed it. Booty made some really great throws tonight, and some really off throws. Considering how few reps he's received, and the fact that he still looked better than DanO, pretty much puts the issue to rest in my mind.

The nice lob pass to Dickerson that bounced off Dickerson's helmet was beautiful, and then he followed it up with his first TD pass of the game that was almost identical. He does some things well, and I think he has upside, as you mention.

Booty looked relatively good. Booty looked relatively good. But, despite his supposed 6'3" stature, he played “short.” He showed some of the things you worry about with short Qbs. Multiple batted down passes behind the LOS. Weak throw on a play action because he had to pass around rather than over the pursuing defender. And several of his missed shots were because he had to try to pass between rather than over incoming defenders. Just an observation/personal opinion.

With that said, I would still take Sage back if he becomes available and willing to return.

Got issues. Steves out. Jeremiah is gonna miss some time. Have to look at Henry. Only got 2 healthy RBs. Gotta see where we're at. Day to day. - Kubiak

OK, back to the RBs - Jeremiah Johnson has a dislocated toe. That's gotta smart.

For the moment, we are down to Foster and Henry. Things are not looking as bright as they were before pre-season started, that's for damn sure.

OK, back to the RBs - Jeremiah Johnson has a dislocated toe. That's gotta smart.

Even though you immediately think of the great toe, no one has identified which toe was involved.

With a dislocated great toe, you can expect about 3 weeks before a supported shoe can allow possible return to action. That's taking for granted that there are no significant associated injury such as displaced fracture. They'll need to x-ray/MRI the toe joint before there can be a final disposition.

Reactions: J_R
Even though you immediately think of the great toe, no one has identified which toe was involved.

With a dislocated great toe, you can expect about 3 weeks before a supported shoe can allow possible return to action. That's taking for granted that there are no significant associated injury such as displaced fracture. They'll need to x-ray/MRI the toe joint before there can be a final disposition.

Can I quote you on that as generic info?

This is why drafting a lot of RBs is necessary for a team in our situation. You're going to have one or two get injured and you never know which one or two it's going to be.

We are now officially up against it with the RB situation.

Can I quote you on that as generic info?

Sure, as long as it's with the qualifier that pain can be a significant factor to return, and that return to action does not equate to return to preinjury performance. Chronicity in these type of injuries cannot be ruled out.

Sure, as long as it's with the qualifier that pain can be a significant factor to return, and that return to action does not equate to return to preinjury performance. Chronicity in these type of injuries cannot be ruled out.

Thanks CND. Must spread rep.

Time to call Cleveland and see if they're interested in parting with Peyton Hillis? Maybe we get lucky and they cut him? Fan can dream can't he?

Time to call Cleveland and see if they're interested in parting with Peyton Hillis?
Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty left tonight's game with a knee injury. If serious, the Browns RB situation is in worse shape than the Texans.

I think we may be looking at JJ starting the season on the PUP list. That would put him out for a in of 6 weeks, but he SHOULD be pretty well healed at that point if it is just a dislocation and not a break or something.

Thanks CND. Must spread rep.

You know, even a dislocated LITTLE toe can be a devastating injury. This is what Marion Barber suffered in 2008 during the Thanksgiving Day game, missed the the next game. They tried to bring him back the last 3 games where he carried 13 times for 1 yd per carry and 1 fumble lost in the very last game/play he played. He then required offseason surgery.

Antonio Gates, who dislocated his BIG toe in the first 2008 playoff game Jan. 6was basically useless for the rest of the championship run. Two months after the season, Gates was nowhere near recovered. The Pro Bowler had surgery Feb. 27 and required about six months to recover.

Although, I previously presented the "best case scenario" for a toe dislocation, it has to be understood that most dislocations are accompanied by ligamentous damage and fractures. If you remember, when we were discussing Tate, and they identified the injury as an ankle DISLOCATION, I also pointed out that we would have to wait for an MRI, because in such cases extensive ligamentous and fractures could be expected........along with surgery and a prolonged recovery period.

One thing the team better address is the players' (especially RBs') SHOE WEAR.

Toe injuries in the NFL trail only ankle and knee injuries in frequency.

We need to look at when "Turf Toe" was first coined. At first, it was believed that harder, less-giving artificial turf was to blame for the increase in toe injuries. Hence, a phrase was coined to describe it........"Turf Toe."

But new footwear is the more likely source today. New-generation shoes provide the kind of traction that athletes in the past never had. The traction is so good that the foot inside is left just as unprotected as when the traction was due to the turf. Today's players (especially RBs) are always looking for lighter, more flexible cleats instead of the more rigid ones of the past. They help increase speed, but at the same time they lose their protection against the exaggerated dorsiflexion of the great toe that results in the injury.

Thanks CnD for the excellent description of what and how these toe issues are popping up.

Let's look at the waiver wire today, no need to panic yet completely...I have faith that Rick Smith will find a capable back up RB.

THis just goes to show you, no matter how deep you think you are at any position, BOOM, you can get real thin in a hurry. I was thinking early in camp, WOW, we are loaded at RB....

You thinking it will be longer because of associated (probable) damage?

I believe a month is the "best case scenario" that Kubiak is trying to present for whatever. To know what the "most accurate scenario" you would need to know what the "collateral damage" really is. I'm also doubtful of Slaton's realistic return date of the Colts game. Maybe for the purpose of detracting Colts game planning. If he is put into that game I wouldn't expect too much.
Again, it all depends on the real diagnosis.

I am concerned about the Texan's situation at RB, but if the guys on the offensive line can step it up to the next level, I do not think that will necessarily be a problem. However, the interior OL positions are still a bit of a question mark, so we will just have to wait and see how that plays out.

Obviously, the Texans need to continue to work on upgrading their talent at the RB position. But what is probably more important to the success of the running game going forward is the development of a stand-out offensive line, including the LG-C-RG positions.

As a result, I would be delighted to see the Texans draft a center/guard in the first or second round of next years draft, together with another running back in the third or fourth round. Then when Ben Tate returns next year, hopefully the Texans will have some real RB depth to speak of, and also an improved roster of OL talent to open the holes for whoever is carrying the rock.

Who's getting worried about our running back situation?

Not me. I like what I've seen from Arian Foster and Slaton becomes a nice change of pace kinda back. It sucks that J. Johnson has a bad toe, but I didn't really see him getting that many carries this season anyway...

I just read where the Texans signed or were about to sign Ward, which is nice little insurance policy....

Back