Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So our running back situation is solved

swtbound07

Jackass of Day!
if you guys saw the same steve slaton i did...well...we got our guy. Competition over. Slaton is the man. Jump on the bandwagon now. I mean now. Not a bad thing to say about the guy.

I thought he got tackled pretty easily. Didn't seem to grind out for those extra yards. Making decisions after one preseason game would be dumb.

you didn't see what i saw. Three times he got tripped up by somebody grasping a hand on his legs.

He made good good reads, good cuts, and had a burst. Insanely fast. I could not be any higher on his potential

Since we are still looking for running backs, I would like to nominate myself. I am 5'10 160-165 and have plenty of tread on my tires despite being 27. What do yall think?! AWTYSST for Texans back!

I dunno, but I know one thing...

Chris Taylor has very limited vision...I didn't like the way he played at all...

you didn't see what i saw. Three times he got tripped up by somebody grasping a hand on his legs.

He made good good reads, good cuts, and had a burst. Insanely fast. I could not be any higher on his potential

I want to see how he does going against a first string defense. He was the Texans best RB yesterday so maybe Kubiak will play him earlier in the next preseason game.

I hint a bit of sarcasm yet at the same time some seriousness. I will say I really really liked what I saw from Slaton. He is not ready to be our primary RB quite yet, but I love him in the mix of things and on special teams. Great quickness, great vision.

The 1st few times he got the ball on kick offs, it seemed he was really excited and just started flying. The third time(?) I think is when he got his best return by waiting for the blocks to develop instead of just outrunning everyone. This showed me he (i) had good vision find some paths, (ii) learned from previously "unsuccesses" (iii) and/or listens to coaches or players well on the sidelines telling him what he was doing wrong and how to fix it- he went out and executed. I could be way off, but thats my way of justifying it :)

I think Slaton has a long future ahead of him on the Texans (albeit it was just preseason)... the other RB's, I'm not so sure of.

You'll need a FB awtysst!!!
I nominate MYSELF!
6'4" 340 lbs.
I think I can be down to a playing weight of 320 by the time the season starts.
And I'm pretty fleet of foot for a big brotha!
:specnatz:

Actually there is precedent. FRITZ POLLARD was basically my size(he was 5'9 165) and he is a HOF. I think we could do it!

Andre Ware (during 610 radio broadcast) mentioned one of the top RB's in the country is the younger brother of a Texan but I can't recall his name for the life of me :thinking: anyone know who he was talking about?

Andre Ware (during 610 radio broadcast) mentioned one of the top RB's in the country is the younger brother of a Texan but I can't recall his name for the life of me :thinking: anyone know who he was talking about?

Sure you don't have it backwards? Isn't Dominique the younger brother of Marion?

Marion Barber III (cowgirls) older bother of Dominique Barber S

Ya I heard that too, but I don't remember who it was.

if you guys saw the same steve slaton i did...well...we got our guy. Competition over. Slaton is the man. Jump on the bandwagon now. I mean now. Not a bad thing to say about the guy.

I didn't see anything yesterday that would give me confidence that he could run between the tackles............of course, I didn't see anything that would give me confidence that any of our RBs could run between the tackles.:gun:

Slaton looked to have the "wiggle" and the pep in his step that the other guys seemed to lack.

Slaton got tackled, but as SWTbound said...there was several times where it was by Slaton's legs/ankle/feet, as if to make a last-gasp dive for Slaton.

He's got to find a way to churn those legs when he senses the defensive player is going for his legs/ankle/feet. That's what made DD so good: He'd get extra yards after that sort of contact.

Slaton comes across as probably the best option thus far. We haven't seen Chris Brown yet, but I saw him enough on the bench the past few years to know that it isn't going to last long for us.

I'll jump on the bandwagon, SWT. :piano:

At this point, I've only seen him on a teeny tiny window in a web broadcast. I need to see the game on my TV before I jump on the bandwagon.

But I've been trying to not start hyping this guy as our savior ever since we drafted him. I want this guy to be our next DD and I want him to surpass DD.

But at this point (first freaking preseason game in a wee li'l window), he seems to get knocked down too easy.

I want to see Slaton pick up a blitz properly before I anoint him with anything. If he can do that, I'm all ears. If he cannot, we cannot play him. Unless, of course, the idea of Alex Brink running our offense this year has some appeal.

Unfortunately, I can't say that any of our other options can do that, either. Taylor completely botched that corner-blitz. Don't know about Walker's and Brown's ability against the blitz. Ahman Green was one of the best in the business at picking up linebackers, but we know the problem there . . .

I'm definitely intrigued by what Slaton brings to the table, but I've always been worried about his ability to take on an angry linebacker.

I want to see Slaton pick up a blitz properly before I anoint him with anything. If he can do that, I'm all ears. If he cannot, we cannot play him. Unless, of course, the idea of Alex Brink running our offense this year has some appeal.

Unfortunately, I can't say that any of our other options can do that, either. Taylor completely botched that corner-blitz. Don't know about Walker's and Brown's ability against the blitz. Ahman Green was one of the best in the business at picking up linebackers, but we know the problem there . . .

I'm definitely intrigued by what Slaton brings to the table, but I've always been worried about his ability to take on an angry linebacker.

I'm still waiting to see him break a tackle. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. He's certainly not going to be anything more than a role player this season. He's got a lot of things to work on right now from what I saw.

I hope he gets some time with the 1's in the 2nd and/or 3rd preseason game.

I'll wait till he's made plays against another team's # 1's before I crown him. But I will say that he reminds me of Clinton Portis when he came into the league (Portis was 185-190 when he came in, turned into a fine RB) and he did awfully well out of the gate in the ZBS.

Slaton is clearly the most talented back on our roster considering we cant depend on Green or Brown to stay healthy. Whether we wont him to or not, if its between him/Taylor/Walker, Slaton will be the feature back this season.

Ive liked Slaton for a long time at WVU and hope his game traslates to the pros well. I would also like to see him get some reps with the first unit to see how he looks against the competitions best. Also to see how he picks up the pass rush.

So after one preseason game you're going to climb out on the limb and say the guy is going to get 300 touches and score a dozen TDs...GL with that.

I saw an under size speed guy who does very well in space when all he has to do is figure out a couple of cuts. You could fill a library up with what you don't know about the guy at this point. every guy and his little sister knew the guy was good in space. That's not the problem with double S.

Ya I heard that too, but I don't remember who it was.

LeSean McCoy

LeSean Kamel McCoy, born 7/12/88, is the son of Ron and Daphne McCoy...has one brother, LeRon, who was a star receiver for Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP)...LeRon spent two seasons with the Arizona Cardinals (2005-06) and one year with the San Francisco 49ers (2007) before signing with the Houston Texans this year

LINK

LeSean McCoy

LINK

Nice find, I vaguely remember reading something about that connection although with Anderson's play, I don't see LeRon being on the team come week 1.

I have been a big proponent of finishing off the defense (DE, OLB or S) with our 1st rd pick next year... but from what I saw of our running backs on sunday- a really solid RB in the 1st or 2nd might be the best thing for out team- keeping that offense going and having a threat everydown from the running game and passing game together.

McCoy will be eligible and is a good possibility to be a 1st rounder, although I hear he's really cocky.

I don't know why people keep trying to knock steve slaton when he is clearly our best option on this roster right now no matter who is healthy he just need game experience. Steve Slaton isn't a bruising back and the texans knew when they drafted him so they don't expect him to run through a ton of tacklers they want to use him like the eagles use Brian Westbrook.

Crown his ass.

If guys like Selvin Young, Brian Westbrook, Willie Parker, and etc. can start so can he.

He's the best RB on this team right now.

While I agree Slaton was the best back the Texans put on the field Saturday night , I dont think he's ready for prime time just yet . It shows how poorly the other backs played rather than how good Slayton was. 11/37/3.4 arent what I want to see out of the #1 option .

Chris Brown will get a chance to prove himself this week against the Saints, and I would also like to see Slaton with more carries against the 1st team defense.

Believe me Pharaoh we got it. I'm just saying it's a bit premature to be sewing this guy onto you sleeve. The heart rumors are out there for a reason. I hope he proves me wrong. I hope he's another faster Allen Pinket...we'll see. But until you see this guy drop his dobber and plant his helmet into the throat of a blitzing 250 pound LB, dropping him like a wet dish rag, you don't know...no one does until he does it.

If the moss backs are cautious...we've seen the John Carpenter film "The Thing" before. We know whats around the corner and we're scared to death. Advocating double S to be the primary twenty touch a game back is more than a reach . It's very dangerous.

While I agree Slaton was the best back the Texans put on the field Saturday night , I dont think he's ready for prime time just yet . It shows how poorly the other backs played rather than how good Slayton was. 11/37/3.4 arent what I want to see out of the #1 option .

His numbers were actually better until the last couple of plays when they knew we were just pounding it out to run the clock down.

At one point he was 8/37/4.6 and before that he was 7/33/4.7. But then we were just running out the clock and Denver was waiting for him and that made his average look worse.

I'd like to see him run with the second and first team to really get a handle on him. His speed could allow him to make more of the holes (as little as they were) than Taylor did.

I with ya, SWT! he i saw that he had excellent vision & often times made something out of nothing. He needs reps with the 1st team, the kid can run. At this point, the only thing i think kubes is holding him back for is his pass protection... other than that He looked 10 times better than CT imo.

He is clearly the best back. But, best back out of what? Ahman Green or Brown will likely stay hurt. Slaton is a decent start but an NFL team needs depth. At the moment Houston doesn't have it. The backfield will underachieve this year. Book it.

LeSean McCoy

LINK

thanks!

2008 Scouting Report: Enters his sophomore season holding status as one of college football's top running backs...was a dynamic freshman performer last year, displaying a lethal combination of speed, dazzling elusiveness and physicality...those traits helped him achieve the most prolific season by a Pitt freshman running back since the legendary Tony Dorsett...Dorsett himself said of McCoy, "This is the first player who has come along who truly reminds me of me."...McCoy eclipsed two of Dorsett's longstanding Pitt freshman marks, including rushing touchdowns and total points, and was personally presented with a commemorative football by the Hall of Famer and 1976 Heisman Trophy winner...McCoy additionally led all freshman running backs last season with an average of 110.67 yards per game...perhaps his finest moment came in Pitt's stunning 13-9 victory over rival West Virginia when he ran for 148 tough yards against a defense laser-focused to stop him...whether it was between the tackles or sweeping to the outside, McCoy helped the Panthers play keep-away from the dangerous WVU offense...earned a laundry list of postseason honors, including first team All-Big East, Big East Rookie of the Year and unanimous Freshman All-America status...will be a highly viable candidate for numerous national honors this year, including the Doak Walker Award, annually presented to the country's top running back.

regarding his older Texans brother LaRon, I thought he was one of the more impressive newcomers. while not going to leap frog Anderson (different type) he brings the closest thing to the physical presence of AJ & worth keeping on the squad to develop & add depth @ WR position. I think the WR corps would be strong with Johnson, Walter, Anderson, McCoy while Jones focuses on punt returns & Davis kick returns.

rather that than carry Ahman Green week to week status knowing his end is sooner rather than later :cool:

I agree that Slaton flashed the most potential at the running back position, but I still think Chris Brown can be an effective back for this offense. I'd like to see what he can do before anointing Slaton the savior at the position.

I agree that Slaton flashed the most potential at the running back position, but I still think Chris Brown can be an effective back for this offense. I'd like to see what he can do before anointing Slaton the savior at the position.

Brown's supposed to run with the first team against the Saints. We'll see what we'll see then.

I don't have any faith that Brown can last more than 2-3 games healthy. Green, I don't know if we can get 1 out of him.

I'm beginning to think McLady's there to meet and greet RB's as they're brought in and signed. Once he shakes their hand they go out and rip their sack or bruise their Va-J-J.

Our Running Backs have been McGradied!!! :gun:

It's too early to call any of our problems "solved". That said, based on what I saw this past Saturday (which is by no means enough to crown or crucify anyone), Slaton is the best back we have on the roster with Walker right on his heels. As for Taylor, poor run blocking aside, I hope he has something more to show us. If not, I doubt there will be a spot on the roster for him.

Slaton looked good the other night but he is never going to be a 20 carry a game back for the season so he can never totally be the answer to the RB problem. Still it's a start

It's too early to call any of our problems "solved". That said, based on what I saw this past Saturday (which is by no means enough to crown or crucify anyone), Slaton is the best back we have on the roster with Walker right on his heels. As for Taylor, poor run blocking aside, I hope he has something more to show us. If not, I doubt there will be a spot on the roster for him.

LOL. No it isn't. Especially when you look at his "competitions".

Ideally, I rather have Brown as starter with Slaton as our 2nd RB. Why? Let the D pound Brown, then as they soften up put in Slaton to finish them up.

EDIT: Read your post wrong. I thought it said "it's too early to name Slaton as starter". But your post was pro-Slaton.

Slaton just made a strong case to be the starter. Can he be a work horse? Why not? Is the problem solved. NO!! The team needs quality depth. A this point here is my depth chart.

1. Slaton
2. Brown
3 Unsigned
4. Unsigned
5. Unsigned

Cut the rest loose.

Back