Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Smith lands deal to stay through 2012

Nothing beats being good at your job and being rewarded for it.

We are glad to have you on our team!

He's been nothing less than outstanding so far. Great job, and kudos to Mcnair for stepping up to the plate and extending him. I only wish it was for longer! :splits:

Good GMs are hard to come by and I think this is a very good move.

:tiphat: to Bob and Rick

Bravo.

It will be curious to see how his role evolves with the upcoming labor disputes.

I agree! But, little has been said about the "capoligist" the Texans hired from the NFL, after the end of last season. It speaks well of this organization, to continue to add "solid" pieces of the puzzle, and make this team special!

Smiths youth helps add some dynamics to the young players today and I feel can bridge the gap from college to the NFL in "today's" terms!

(Then again, as I get older and my kids get (smart-ass)wiser, I may be wrong?):gun:

he has done really good until the Duane Brown reach. he may end up working out and being a good Tackle, but it smells like a bad pick to me. Hopefully Okoye progresses in his second year as well. His other picks have been pretty good but im on the fence on Brown and want Okoye to show some more.

That being said, Smith deserved the deal and has done a masterful job turning things around since Asserley was fired errrr resigned. I love the fact that he is young, i love the fact that he isn't afraid to make trades, and I love the fact that he is a minority in leadership where minorities are few and far between in those positions.

now if we can just find a consistent running game and pass rush, and we could actually be relevant for once.

Duane Brown was not a reach. Especially if we got extra picks for him, and the team with the next pick wanted him (Charges I believe).

Duane Brown was not a reach. Especially if we got extra picks for him, and the team with the next pick wanted him (Charges I believe).

the Chargers have said they were thinking of taking Brown after us, but that doesnt have a lot to do with anything. The Chargers also could afford to make a perceived 'reach' at a critical position, because they had no real critical needs, as their team is pretty much set.

we had more pressing needs at other positions and I felt there was more value at those positions at the point we took the pick. I felt we needed more of a sure thing at a guy who could come in and make an impact at a position of weakness (RB, secondary help, DE, and OLB) To each his own though. Another man's reach is another man's treasure. Smith made the pick and whats done is done. I hope it works out, GB.

the Chargers have said they were thinking of taking Brown after us, but that doesnt have a lot to do with anything. The Chargers also could afford to make a perceived 'reach' at a critical position, because they had no real critical needs, as their team is pretty much set.

we had more pressing needs at other positions and I felt there was more value at those positions at the point we took the pick. I felt we needed more of a sure thing at a guy who could come in and make an impact at a position of weakness (RB, secondary help, DE, and OLB) To each his own though. Another man's reach is another man's treasure. Smith made the pick and whats done is done. I hope it works out, GB.

I think we got those this draft (aside from the DE position).

Great move by the Texans Brass to extend his contract. I think If the team at least on the field maybe not necessarily on the record looks vastly improved afterthis year I expect Kubiak to be extended as well. Nothing bodes well for an organization like continuity in the front office and ownership.

As for the Brown pick I'm just curious who else did the rest of you had in mind at 18 or would've taken instead of Brown? Would you have been satisfied with another year with Salaam at LT? What does it take in your mind for the move to be worth it?

he has done really good until the Duane Brown reach. he may end up working out and being a good Tackle, but it smells like a bad pick to me. Hopefully Okoye progresses in his second year as well. His other picks have been pretty good but im on the fence on Brown and want Okoye to show some more.

That being said, Smith deserved the deal and has done a masterful job turning things around since Asserley was fired errrr resigned. I love the fact that he is young, i love the fact that he isn't afraid to make trades, and I love the fact that he is a minority in leadership where minorities are few and far between in those positions.

now if we can just find a consistent running game and pass rush, and we could actually be relevant for once.

I know alot of people say/believe this was a reach, and maybe it was, but Brown was considered a solid 2nd rounder by many as the draft got closer. And since we didn't have a 2nd rounder, and this is who Gibbs wanted, I think Rick did the right thing. And, like GB pointed out in the post above, the Chargers were going to take him with the very next pick! Heck, even Kubes was afraid Brown wouldn't be there when they picked after trading down.

Whether Brown becomes a good LT or not remains to be seen, but I still believe Smith made the right move. :tiphat: I'm glad they resigned him to another 4 years and hope he has more continued success. JMHO!

I'm very pleased with this extension, pretty big fan of Smith. Hopefully his draft choices continue panning out and the hiring continues to be a slam dunk for us.

I think we got those this draft (aside from the DE position).

I like Adibi as an OLB prospect and we did add some secondary depth and Slaton could be a good 3rd Down back or SE/slot type dualthreat. I like the value we got in the later rounds, for sure...and trading down a few times really helped the haul overall.

Something that I don't think has been brought up yet, is that Smith has really done a good job not overpaying guys like the previous regime did...all the while resigning critical guys to market rate deals. One could argue we overpayed for Green but it was a pretty team friendly deal. I loved the Chris Brown pickup too.

Chris Brown is the X Factor this year. If he can bring us a running game, things could really start to get click. The guy is damn good and relatively young and now teams wont be able to stack the lines against him like he would run against in Tennessee because we have more of a passing game than TN.

Between Green and Brown and the rest of our prospects, we have the best stable of RBs to date. I am optimistic about the running game.

Rick looks really happy, LOL!

http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html

Congratulations to Mr Smith.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the Chargers having Mcneil at LT already, unless they worry about his spinal cord (something like that).

Or maybe they consider moving him to RT or G?

I thought their young RT was playing quite well last year?

They didn't even pick an Olineman until alsmot the end of the second day (#234) and it seems like people think he'd only have a slim chance of making the roster, and probably will land on PS.

They need a Center, but it's hard to imagine them wanting to move Brown to the middle?

Or perhaps they want to groom him for a year or two?

At any rate, I think (and hope) that Brown will work out for us.

Who is this Rick Smith? Another strong safety???

I don't like this signing, through 2012?

;)

Kudos to the boss for extending Rick Smith's contract. It was the right thing to do, and puts us on the right track.

Just judging Smith on what he's done so far, this seems like the right thing to do. I don't think there is a Texans fan around that wouldn't agree that the Texans are a better organization now that it was before he got here.

Rick looks really happy, LOL!

http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html

Congratulations to Mr Smith.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the Chargers having Mcneil at LT already, unless they worry about his spinal cord (something like that).

Or maybe they consider moving him to RT or G?

I thought their young RT was playing quite well last year?

They didn't even pick an Olineman until alsmot the end of the second day (#234) and it seems like people think he'd only have a slim chance of making the roster, and probably will land on PS.

They need a Center, but it's hard to imagine them wanting to move Brown to the middle?

Or perhaps they want to groom him for a year or two?

At any rate, I think (and hope) that Brown will work out for us.

My guess is they liked his athleticism. I know prior to last year Olivea was their RT but got in Norv Turner's doghouse. I thought San Fran liked Brown as well. I don't think Brown would've gone past early 2nd round.

Smith works exceptionally well with the coaches providing them with the resouces best available to attain team goals within constraints of the salary cap. he works constantly in direct support of his head coach & they in turn listen to both the coaches & players. you can't get a better team player if you tried, he is an excellent GM & above that, person. well deserved.

regarding Brown, Secondhoneymoon, I understand your point, but what you & me failed to grasp leading up & during the draft was a players ability to fit within the system the Texans wanted to run, notably the ZBS which requires an athletic, mobile tackle. clearly Duane was signed off on by Alex Gibbs personally, Rick was able to add value, at a fairly high risk of losing him, yet still provide the player targeted @ #18. I have every confidence Duane Brown will be an outstanding LT in this system for the Texans over the next 8-10 years
:wesmantexanfan:

Make up your mind, you flip flop more than a politician. First you flamed Smith for the pick then you changed your stang and liked it now your blasting him for the pick and you have no idea who the hell Brown is and you have yet to see him play a down. Is it a reach because you say it is or because of that moron Kiper? Mario is a bust, d'oh errr opps got that one a tad wrong didn't you Mel.

They drafted a CB and RB in the third, LB in the 4th and DT in the 5th, geez wiz man, they looked at needs and addressed them. You think every position should be filled in a draft or I should only the positions you think are important and if it is not who you wanted or what you wanted it is a reach and a failed draft. I am surprised you did not say Smith should be fired for not getting who you wanted.

As far as the Charges going to select the player after us and you say it is ok for them to reach because they do not have any critical needs is BS. What ever happened to teams that were in the upper area of drafts just taking BPA as to provide depth? Maybe, they had Brown on the board rated that high and it was going to be BPA. Of course this would not help your ranting and raving whinning about the pick.

You say you want a player that provides an impact immediately, how much more impact could there be than a starting LT? Granted he will not show up in the monday morning stat columns but it would still be important to the team. But oh no we need to wait on a LT every year and just hope and pray Salaam stays healthy and it is not Jordan Black having to make starts. What more pressing need is there than to protect the QB? Nope you want quick fixes and stats; forget about the long term plan and future of the team.

You fly off the handle about everything when it comes to the Texans. Just curious are you still wanting Kubiak fired? Do you still want to blame McNair for not going out and bringing in quality Assistant Coaches? I know it sucks that YKW is no longer here so you don't have a goat for you to pin everything on and have a legitimate reason to go off, so you have to make up reasons.

:gun:

To me, a "reach" is defined as drafting a player a significant amount of picks before you need to. If you draft a guy at 25 and could have gotten him two rounds later, that's a reach. But if that same guy isn't going to be available to be picked 5-6 picks later, then it isn't a reach.

According to what came out after the draft, there were 2 teams besides the Texans that were interested in Brown. If we dropped back another 4-5 picks, there would have been 2 very good chances for Brown to be gone. This is a situation where at least 3 teams, possibly more, had a guy rated higher than all the "experts". To me, that's not a reach, that's just another situation where the experts don't know what the hell they're talking about.

In the draft, if you want a guy, then you do what you have to do to get him. Smith did. Although he was considering dropping back a bit further and if he had done that, we probably would have missed the guy we wanted. That would have been a mistake.

I am very ok with Brown who Gibbs wanted and Steve Slaton rather than what was available to us prior to trade down. This off season brought us a starting center in Myers ( a need position) a probable LT starter in Brown, a possible starter or at least a capable backup CB in Molden (flip this for Reeves), solidified RB with Brown, Slaton and possibly Green if healthy and maybe a steal at DT. I'm going to be real (sarcasm) upset with Smith if our Qb 7th rounder doesn't start somewhere next year.

Is it just me, or has SmithGM gained a few lbs since coming here?

311xInlineGallery.jpg

My thoughts on this is here:

Houston GM Rick Smith Gets a Contract Extension, Banishes Ghost of Casserly

Basically, it is news you already know and my thoughts about watching the video discussing the extension.

That is, when you listen to McNair talking about what he likes about Smith, in some ways you are listening to him discuss what he didn't like about Casserly.

I have some Texans gossip in the post, but it is labeled as such.

McNair's frustration with Casserly was no secret. He came out very publicly with the "that's not the way we do it in the NFL" revelation soon after Dan Reeves was hired. He said it live on the radio - it shocked me a bit because it seemed unlike McNair to publicly blast his GM - but it was late '05 and the wheels had flown off many weeks before. He probably figured that the Reeves hiring was humiliation enough for CC so what would it matter. My immediate reaction to McNair's comment and the Reeves hire in December '05 is below along with Justice's article built around that theme:

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=222157&postcount=43

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2005_4023684

The other comment from McNair "I think I've learned from some of the things we haven't done as well as we could have." was about as direct public hanging out to dry of a GM as you could get (especially while he's still on the payroll).

Why do people have to crap up a good thread with baloney leftover from the draft? Seriously, the pick was Brown, and now we have to live with it. That's all there is to it.

I love the extension for Smith. He works hard to make sure that we get guys (from everywhere too) that fit the system. Rarely does he make a move I disagree with.

McNair's frustration with Casserly was no secret. He came out very publicly with the "that's not the way we do it in the NFL" revelation soon after Dan Reeves was hired. He said it live on the radio - it shocked me a bit because it seemed unlike McNair to publicly blast his GM - but it was late '05 and the wheels had flown off many weeks before. He probably figured that the Reeves hiring was humiliation enough for CC so what would it matter. Justice wrote an article around that quote (below) along with my immediate reaction to McNair's comment and the Reeves hire in December '05:

True that--no secret about McNair's frustration with Casserly's football arrogance. The Justice article was a complete anomaly--nothing like it before or since really. McNair doesn't like to dump people in the grease publicly, and Charley and Dom's exits were handled more the way McNair prefers to do things.

The gossipy part about what I wrote was the frustration with how little Casserly valued the input of assistant coaches and McNair's frustration with that. I was under the impression that Casserly rubberstamped what the coaches wanted, but what I was told is:

1. He would pick guys with little input from assistants because he didn't value their contribution to the draft process. McNair didn't understand that at all.

2. When coaches insisted on certain players, Casserly would wash his hands of the picks, being prepared to blame THAT guy on the coaches.

It's a pretty dysfunctional way of running a show.

It was clearly dysfuntional for whatever reason (I've always believed CC played both roles: order desk clerk in some cases and self aggrandizing dictator in others) but McNair was very clear and very public in Dec. '05 with how he felt about the arrogant little a-hole.

True that--no secret about McNair's frustration with Casserly's football arrogance. The Justice article was a complete anomaly--nothing like it before or since really. McNair doesn't like to dump people in the grease publicly, and Charley and Dom's exits were handled more the way McNair prefers to do things.

The gossipy part about what I wrote was the frustration with how little Casserly valued the input of assistant coaches and McNair's frustration with that. I was under the impression that Casserly rubberstamped what the coaches wanted, but what I was told is:

1. He would pick guys with little input from assistants because he didn't value their contribution to the draft process. McNair didn't understand that at all.

2. When coaches insisted on certain players, Casserly would wash his hands of the picks, being prepared to blame THAT guy on the coaches.

It's a pretty dysfunctional way of running a show.

McNair's frustration with Casserly was no secret. He came out very publicly with the "that's not the way we do it in the NFL" revelation soon after Dan Reeves was hired. He said it live on the radio - it shocked me a bit because it seemed unlike McNair to publicly blast his GM - but it was late '05 and the wheels had flown off many weeks before. He probably figured that the Reeves hiring was humiliation enough for CC so what would it matter. My immediate reaction to McNair's comment and the Reeves hire in December '05 is below along with Justice's article built around that theme:

The other comment from McNair "I think I've learned from some of the things we haven't done as well as we could have." was about as direct public hanging out to dry of a GM as you could get (especially while he's still on the payroll).

Unfreaking believable how much there is a differance in the way things are said by Smith and how CC used to say things. It is as though CC was drafting not to fail. Especially with how little he valued picks after the first round. The whole organization speaks differently. The it is like a breath of fresh air versus the way it was; it was like listening to Eeyore with all the gloom that spilled forth from C&C bafoons.

A little pub in Ohio. (no, not that kind of pub)

It's good to see that sports writers from around the country are writing about the Texans while our own media is doing whatever they're doing:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/2008/06/29/ddn062908spbigcweb.html

I wrote the guy and thanked him for the article, but of course I had to give him my opinion on the one he called a legend.

Duh statement of the century:
Where Smith and Casserly differ is in their leadership styles and football philosophy and that appears to be working well for the current GM.

I can't tell whether he was just trying to be polite (probably) or whether he really thinks Casserly was a legend in a good way (eek). But that's not really what's important - Smith and the current version of the Texans is - and that comes through very well in the article.

It's good to see that sports writers from around the country are writing about the Texans while our own media is running around doing whatever they do:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/2008/06/29/ddn062908spbigcweb.html

I wrote the guy and thanked him for the article, but of course I had to give him my opinion on the one he called a legend.

This may be capt. obvious statement to us, but I'm glad that he went there for his local readership who may not know all the gory details.

You don't tune in at 4:30 on friday to find out what movie to see ? :whip:

It's good to see that sports writers from around the country are writing about the Texans while our own media is running around going to movies or whatever it is they do:

I wrote the guy and thanked him for the article, but of course I had to give him my opinion on the one he called legendary. As I explained in my email, he was legendary all right ...

There is no question that Smith entered a unique situation in Houston. At 38, not only is he the youngest and the third black general manager in the NFL, he had to replace a legend in Charley Casserly

:spit: Legend

Good article like you said other than him calling Casserly a legend. Maybe as a Urban Legend.....:splits:

Back