Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Simmons picks us again...

Air Canada

Waterboy
His week 3 picks... http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7008208/week-3-picks-pinch-mailbag

I'm expecting different results this season of course... :dance2:

"Speaking of concussions, I think I have one because I told someone this week, "Forget about covering, I think Houston can WIN in New Orleans!" It's becoming an annual September tradition: The Texans sucking me in against my better judgment and burning me, then me angrily picking against them for the next 13 weeks while running out of new ways to make fun of Gary Kubiak. Let's just make it Week 3's upset special: Houston 34, New Orleans 31."

Picking Houston in September is a pretty safe bet.

Come October, November, & December, not so much....

No history yet of Houston in January.

The team usually wins in December once the games no longer count. They start with wins, end with wins....but the middle games host the creamy soft center of losses.

Is that
484249-ron_simmons.jpg
or
RichardSimmons2.jpg
?

Picking Houston in September is a pretty safe bet.

Come October, November, & December, not so much....

No history yet of Houston in January.

I'd say early int e season like September and mid to late December when they are out of it the texans are money. Its winning those mid season games that are the problem.

anyone know who he is? Never heard of him or Grantland.

Bill Simmons is a boston based writer for ESPN and SI. Kinda funny, amusing, sarcastic, and irreverent. He used to do Bill SImmon's page 2 on ESPN.

Grantland I guess is his own website that he spun off?

Grantland I guess is his own website that he spun off?

He started grandland earlier this year, it is actually on ESPN's site, but does more than just sports. His normal stuff all moved over to Grandland, and he added a few of his own staff writers to do daily updates. I actually really enjoy the site - it will cover sports, pop culture, etc. Has some really detailed stuff, some humorous stuff, and I can go on once a day and find a good read usually.

he is a bit pro boston, but he usually has some funny takes on things. Some of you might have heard of The Sports Guy on ESPN - its the same guy.

Grantland is supposed to be the amalgamation of sports and pop culture for the intellectual reader.

I read a critique of it calling them the "wannabe-New Yorker" of sports journalism.

It's very LZish.

anyone know who he is? Never heard of him or Grantland.

Pretty entertaining sports writer.... He has so funny and interesting takes on things... He is a Boston homer, but makes no secret of it and is willing to look at things objectively and question and even pick against his teams.. Known as the Sports Guy on ESPN... His podcasts called The B.S. Report are pretty good and often hilarious as well where he does the lines and picks the games every week with "Cousin Sal"... Grantland is the new site with columnists focusing on sports and pop culture themes... Check it out... the stuff like The Bad QB League is pretty good also the NFL preview was a good read.:runaway:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6940766/grantland-mega-nfl-preview-part-iv

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/clipArchive?showID=bsreport

Sterling Sharp picked us too on his NFLN show. The other three turds picked the Saints. Sterling has always been high on us though, so atleast he's consistent.

Sterling Sharp picked us too on his NFLN show. The other three turds picked the Saints. Sterling has always been high on us though, so atleast he's consistent.

Yeah.. I just saw that... All his points were on the defensive side of the ball and Wade for why they would win.. not much on the offense and the other guys just kept talking on the Saints offense and the blitzes from GW.

The team usually wins in December once the games no longer count. They start with wins, end with wins....but the middle games host the creamy soft center of losses.

true.... true

I'd say early int e season like September and mid to late December when they are out of it the texans are money. Its winning those mid season games that are the problem.

You're right, the Texans ought to be a lock to win this one then...... Let me call my bookie.

Bill Simmons is The Sports Guy on ESPN.com. He's more of a NBA guy than anything. He writes semi-satirical columns and usually has entertaining takes. He's very witty and doesn't pretend to know more than he really does. He's good friends with Rockets GM Daryl Morey and usually has good things to say about all things Rockets. He's also become the main replacement host on PTI now.

Here's his ESPN.com link.

The best Grantland articles have been (1) An article about Pro Wrestling's best entrance songs--With full anaylsis of each entry on the list, and (2) An exhaustive look at the life and downward spiral of Ric "Nature Boy" Flair who has literally a few dozen encounters with some form of financial scamming or illegitimate business deals that now have him broke and working to pay off millions in debt he owes to people. A tragic, tragic story of a guy (Ric Flair) that most people would think is a "put together" guy but he isn't at all. The article has what I consider to be "insider info" on Ric Flair and I don't know how the author was able to so intricately examine all the court cases and news items to piece it together.

Bill Simmons is cool, IMO. Sharp wit, low key in his delivery (not a pompous jerk like Jim Rome or other self-indulgent talking heads), and he makes all kinds of entertaining connections that show he's a really cerebral guy.

Back