Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Signing Young will cost Tennessee

texan279

Hall of Fame
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=50894

Wondering what it might take to get quarterback Vince Young into the fold with the Tennessee Titans?

The structuring of the deal and the amount of the signing bonus are yet to be determined, but a package somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 million, with approximately 40 to 50 percent of that amount guaranteed, is probably what it will take to bring the No. 3 overall pick under contract.

When NFL rookies are signed, several factors are weighed. The league has generally used a slotting system for contracts, meaning the higher a player was selected, the more money he can generally expect to receive at contract time.

Also, contracts from the previous season are looked at as well, with a slight increase usually in the amount of the rookie pool increase factored in.

As well, in Young’s case, as a quarterback, he can also generally expect a little bigger payday than players at other positions.

When the Houston Texans pulled a draft day surprise by agreeing to terms with defensive end Mario Williams over running back Reggie Bush, that deal helped set the bar for this year’s draft.

Williams agreed to a six-year, $54 million deal. The contract did not include a signing bonus for Williams, but according to reports, contains $26.5 million in guaranteed money over the first two years of the deal.

What happens in regards to Bush and his demands from the New Orleans Saints could also play a factor as well, as could the deal with D’Brickashaw Ferguson at No. 4 with the New York Jets.

But as a quarterback, Young’s agent, Major Adams, says the $49.5 million contract Alex Smith landed as the No. 1 overall pick in San Francisco in 2005 will be part of the equation as well.

“I’m sure all those are the parameters we’ll be looking at,” Adams said. “We’ll take into consideration what the first quarterback got last year, and what the first two picks get this year. It’ll be a little bit different since they’re not quarterbacks.”

Young has said he wants to be in training camp by the time it opens July 28, and his Adams echoed that sentiment Monday.

“I don’t anticipate any problems in getting a deal done. They’ve treated us great the whole time, because Vince was the guy they wanted all along,” Adams said.

Thus begins the downward spiral of top five draft picks.

Wah wah, i want more money than last year's pick. wah wah, look at my skillz. wah wah.

what happened to just wanting to play football on the world's largest stage.

For a lot of players, this is their best and/or only shot at a payday. I don't blame them for wanting to make the most of it.

PowerfulDragon said:

Wah wah, i want more money than last year's pick. wah wah, look at my skillz. wah wah.

This isnt only about playing football , this is their JOB , this is how they support themselves and their families ...... When you interview for a job dont you want to get the best possible pay and benifits ? .... Or will you work for minimum wage and no benifits ?

Yes the dollar amounts are outrageous but the average players career in the NFL lasts just 4 years , after that many of these players arent suited to flipping burgers at Mc'D's or bagging groceries at the Quickie-Mart .... sure they went to college but they majored in ...... "the art of getting out of class" .... Or didnt bother to get their degree's ..... You do have the rare case that does but thats the exception not the rule .... Some are physicaly damaged .... Fact is after football many of them arent capable of a REAL JOB..... For many this is their only pay-day.

PowerfulDragon said:

Yeah it would make sense to just take whatever they offer you. I wouldn't want to negotiate my contract either. If I think my employer might pay me 10,000 more a year, im not going to try. :sarcasm:

Makes me wonder if money was the reason he was lobbying so hard about Houston picking him. If he is wanting Mario Williams money at the #3 pick, I wonder how much he would have wanted if we had drafted him.

texan279 said:
Makes me wonder if money was the reason he was lobbying so hard about Houston picking him. If he is wanting Mario Williams money at the #3 pick, I wonder how much he would have wanted if we had drafted him.

I don't care how much he wants. He's the future of our organization. And if he turns out to be a bust, we trade him. That simple.

PowerfulDragon said:
i'm just saying that it's going to get out of hand unless the nfl does somethign about it.

They have .... Its called the salary cap and the rookie pool :stirpot:

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
I don't care how much he wants. He's the future of our organization. And if he turns out to be a bust, we trade him. That simple.

Yeah, sign him to a 50 million dollar contract then turn around and trade him, haven't you guys been through enough of cap hell?

texan279 said:
Yeah, sign him to a 50 million dollar contract then turn around and trade him, haven't you guys been through enough of cap hell?

Well this would be like 5 years down the road. You gotta give a guy alteast 5 years to blossom (e.g. Carr)

corrosion said:
This isnt only about playing football , this is their JOB , this is how they support themselves and their families ...... When you interview for a job dont you want to get the best possible pay and benifits ? .... Or will you work for minimum wage and no benifits ?

Yes the dollar amounts are outrageous but the average players career in the NFL lasts just 4 years , after that many of these players arent suited to flipping burgers at Mc'D's or bagging groceries at the Quickie-Mart .... sure they went to college but they majored in ...... "the art of getting out of class" .... Or didnt bother to get their degree's ..... You do have the rare case that does but thats the exception not the rule .... Some are physicaly damaged .... Fact is after football many of them arent capable of a REAL JOB..... For many this is their only pay-day.

Fact of the matter is...even a "lowball" signing bonus for a #3 pick is enough to support a few generations of the Young family.

Titan "Tack" Fan said:
Well this would be like 5 years down the road. You gotta give a guy alteast 5 years to blossom (e.g. Carr)

More than likely the contract wouldn't be for more than 5 years anyway.

WildBlackBear32 said:
Fact of the matter is...even a "lowball" signing bonus for a #3 pick is enough to support a few generations of the Young family.

Soooo.......if you had the chance to negotiate your salary at your job....you wouldn't get all you could get ? you would just take what they give you since there are so many people who are less fortunate than you ....riiiiiight.....:bowser:

Titan "Tack" Fan said:

That was the point...he turns out he can't make the transition, Titans becomes the new Cincinatti of the NFL . I'm sure San Deigo got great offers for Ryan Leaf after his four years. Have no doubt about Ledale "Pass the Bisciuts" White. He has bust written all over him. You are what you do. There is a reason he slid into the second.

xtruroyaltyx said:
Soooo.......if you had the chance to negotiate your salary at your job....you wouldn't get all you could get ? you would just take what they give you since there are so many people who are less fortunate than you ....riiiiiight.....:bowser:

No. I wouldn't.

ESPECIALLY if I were a professional athlete in a TEAM sport.

There are two types of players (or people)...

1. Those who are satisfied with what comes to them and try their best to be successful(IE: Win the Super Bowl), perhaps making a sacrifice or two.

2. Those who always want more, want people to know what they are worth, not caring about success(Greedy Dirtbags).

WildBlackBear32 said:
No. I wouldn't.

1. Those who are satisfied with what comes to them and try their best to be successful(IE: Win the Super Bowl), perhaps making a sacrifice or two.

2. Those who always want more, want people to know what they are worth, not caring about success(Greedy Dirtbags).

I think you fail to see the point . And if you can honestly say you wouldnt haggle over your salary for a job .... come work for me , Ill pay ya minimum wage with no benifits from here to retirement . :cool:
Just because the dollar figures are more than most fans can fathom doesnt change the fact that this is their job and they should negotiate their contracts to best suit them ...

WildBlackBear32 said:
No. I wouldn't.

Sir...I call your bluff......But if thats really how you feel I don't know whether its admirable or just plain wacky...:tease:

corrosion said:
Just because the dollar figures are more than most fans can fathom doesnt change the fact that this is their job and they should negotiate their contracts to best suit them ...

And in professional sports, that's a loser's mentality. I really wish you were a GM of an NFL team if you were willing to throw the farm at a single player, it'd mean free Ws for my team.

corrosion said:
I think you fail to see the point . And if you can honestly say you wouldnt haggle over your salary for a job .... come work for me , Ill pay ya minimum wage with no benifits from here to retirement . :cool:

Exactly...People alwayz get upset when Professional Athletes try to get as much as they can...Get mad at Bill Gates for monopolizing the computer industry...

WildBlackBear32 said:
And in professional sports, that's a loser's mentality. I really wish you were a GM of an NFL team if you were willing to throw the farm at a single player, it'd mean free Ws for my team.

And in the game of Life your mentality is a one way trip to the poor house ... reality of it is , this is life , not some fantasy world :wacko:

I never said I would throw the farm at any given player , I just think that players should negotiate their contracts to the best of their ability .... You have to remember that it takes two to negotiate ....

corrosion said:
And in the game of Life your mentality is a one way trip to the poor house ... reality of it is , this is life , not some fantasy world :wacko:

Not at all. Some people have a good enough sense of self-worth to appreciate what is given to them. If you are the kind of person who is willing to sacrifice some respect, dignity and pride for the almighty dollar, well, that says a lot about your character.

WildBlackBear32 said:
Not at all. Some people have a good enough sense of self-worth to appreciate what is given to them. If you are the kind of person who is willing to sacrifice some respect, dignity and pride for the almighty dollar, well, that says a lot about your character.

I really think you have gone out of bounds with this statement , Who said anything about sacrificing respect , dignity or pride for anything at all .... All I've said is that the player should negotiate his contract to his best interest .... If you have read anything else into this , then you are a fool.

Oh , wait , they should all play for peanuts and let the Owners & TV networks rake in the hundreds of millions .... Im with ya now :sarcasm:

corrosion said:
I really think you have gone out of bounds with this statement , Who said anything about sacrificing respect , dignity or pride for anything at all .... All I've said is that the player should negotiate his contract to his best interest .... If you have read anything else into this , then you are a fool.

Oh , wait , they should all play for peanuts and let the Owners & TV networks rake in the hundreds of millions .... Im with ya now :sarcasm:

It's common sense really.

The more money you DEMAND in a TEAM sport, the less RESPECT you are going to get from your peers/management. ESPECIALLY when you've done NOTHING to earn one red penny.

When you negotiate your salary with a potential employer, are you going to bring up the fact you've done nothing at the level which you will be employed? You have no experience as a PROFESSIONAL, but you want to be paid more than most other EXPERIENCED professionals? Right.

Its impossible to argue constructivly with a fool , I digress :brickwall

P.S. You can still work for me , Minimum wage , no benifits . These terms are Non-Negotiable. :rolleyes:

corrosion said:
Its impossible to argue constructivly with a fool , I digress :brickwall

P.S. You can still work for me , Minimum wage , no benifits . These terms are Non-Negotiable. :rolleyes:

Who is arguing? You must have some issues if you argue on the interweb. But hey, you can be a quitter if you want.

WildBlackBear32 said:

Like Mr. Mario Williams. Signed before he was drafted. :thumbup

A player has the right to try to get whatever he wants...but at the same time, they are not offered peanuts by NFL teams. For every dollar they take towards the salary cap, that's one less dollar the team can utilize on other players.

Hey Tack, in the first place Houston is like the 7th best market, whereas Nashville is decidedly a small market. Bud is now beginning to realize what he gave up. He wanted Vince only so he could embarrass Houston. Thing is Vince doesn't yet know how to read defenses well enough to be an NFL QB, so "IF" he signs Vince to a $49.5M contract, or anything close to it, he is going to want performance a heck of a lot quicker than 5 years down the road. But then a sharp "tack" like you knew that didn't you? :stirpot:

Back