Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should the Redskins change their name?

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• Yes

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 70.9%

• Total voters
I'm not the one with the foreskin obsession
:)

...but you got my point whether you realized it or not. When I suggested you associate that caricature with youself, you were none to pleased about it. Why do you think anyone else would like it either.

Yes you're right because clearly I was being serious. Lighten up or don't.

French - noir
Italian - nero
Spanish - negro
Catalan - negre
Corsican - neru
Portugese - negro
Romanian - negru

Latin - niger

In Spain they use the word "negro" to refer to black people with African decent. However here in the US hispanics use the word "moreno" to refer to black people. Moreno simply means darker skin. That word is also used for getting tanned like "ponerse moreno" means getting a tan. Not sure if the Spanish speaking world here use "moreno" over "negro" due to how the word has been used in English.

Amanda Blackhorse, the lead plaintiff in the Redskins trademark case, said a Navajo high school and Native Americans can refer to themselves as "Redskins" but Daniel Snyder and the Washington football team can't.

When ESPN host Bob Ley asked her about the Red Mesa High School Redskins on an Outside The Lines special on the controversy over the Redskins name, Blackhorse, who also compared those who are offended by the name to domestic abuse victims, said there was a difference between the Red Mesa Redskins and the Washington Redskins.

"We can call ourselves whatever we want to call ourselves. You can't, Dan Snyder. You cannot refer to us in that manner," Blackhorse, who belongs to the Navajo Nation, said. "What happens in your games and the type of stereotyping and mocking of our culture does not happen in the games here on the Navajo Nation. We don't refer to ourselves in that way."

Link

logo.png

Quote:
Amanda Blackhorse, the lead plaintiff in the Redskins trademark case, said a Navajo high school and Native Americans can refer to themselves as "Redskins" but Daniel Snyder and the Washington football team can't.

When ESPN host Bob Ley asked her about the Red Mesa High School Redskins on an Outside The Lines special on the controversy over the Redskins name, Blackhorse, who also compared those who are offended by the name to domestic abuse victims, said there was a difference between the Red Mesa Redskins and the Washington Redskins.

"We can call ourselves whatever we want to call ourselves. You can't, Dan Snyder. You cannot refer to us in that manner," Blackhorse, who belongs to the Navajo Nation, said. "What happens in your games and the type of stereotyping and mocking of our culture does not happen in the games here on the Navajo Nation. We don't refer to ourselves in that way."
Link

And THAT is the definition of racism. OK for one race, but not for another. Racism in the name of fighting racism. How absurd.

And THAT is the definition of racism. OK for one race, but not for another. Racism in the name of fighting racism. How absurd.
Sounds more like the definition of family.

"*I* can make fun of or pick on or talk about my brother/sister/child, but you better not! We're family. You ain't."
I've heard that phrase all my life.

Link

"What happens in your games and the type of stereotyping and mocking of our culture does not happen in the games here on the Navajo Nation. We don't refer to ourselves in that way."

logo.png

wonder if they will go after the Chiefs and Braves, etc and other football teams that "stereotype and mock" their culture by letting fans dress up in war paint and Indian dress?

curious....

Niger (pronounced Nee-jyer) please! Sorry Cak...couldn't resist. Personally I'd have no issue beig refered to as:

Le homme noir that sounds kind of cool. It sounds like someone whom chicks would dig. :dread:

I don't know if this is racist, but here in italy the equivalent of your Boogeyman is called "Uomo Nero" which means "Black Man"

The Washington DC football team owner is missing an enormous opportunity in my opinion. I think changing the team's nickname presents an unparalleled opportunity for merchandising. I have no idea of his politics, but assuming he's a supporter of one of the two main parties (for arguments sake let's say the Republicans), then he should simply rename the team after that party; the Washington Republicans. "Ah," I hear you say, "but you've now alienated half your fan base", and there can be no argument that that is indeed the case. However, what you've also done is make this DC team the second favorite team of half the politically opinionated (at the last count, everyone) population of the USA.

Screw it, NFL, put another team in DC and call them the Democrats and place them in the other conference. What better way to decide who becomes president every 4 years than the quadrennial game between the Washington democrats and the Washington republicans? Darn sight better idea than letting the people decide.

it could be more than half your fanbase, you didn't account for those who "hate" both parties.

:)

Quote:

Link

No. You're comparing apples and intercontinetal ballistic missiles. What do they have in common? They're both nouns, they both physically exist but they're not even CLOSE to being the same thing.

I have issues with the N-word. Axl Rose was once criticized for using it in a song and in an interview he said: "Hell, they call themselves n:883rs why can't I?"

At that point I made it my my mission to stop using it. I figured he had a bit of a point and if I stopped using it, he'd have no reason to use it to describe me or anyone else. But here's the thing, whether or not I want to use that disgusting prejorative to describe myself or any other person of color is entirely up to me. I CHOOSE not to because the word to me has a horrible connotation and was used as a means of keeping people subjegated.
For the most part when persons of color refer to one another as a racial slur, it's done playfully and mockingly as a term of endearment. I PERSONALLY think it's kinda silly and don't do it, but that the reason behind it.

To that end, a black guy calling another black guy "n:883r" , an Indian calling another Indian "R3d$k:n", an Asian calling another Asian a "g00k", is NOT the same as a person who is NOT a member of one of the aforementioned using the term as the groups in question didn't INVENT the offensive terms as a means of subjegating THEMSELVES and weren't using the terms to remind them to know their "place." Conversely I've heard Italians call OTHER Italians "w0p" and "da80" and the Irish refer to one another as "m:cks" but I sure as hell won't call them that as I LIKE my teeth and structural integrity of my jaw.

RED MESA, Ariz. — The fans poured into the bleachers on a Friday night, erupting in “Let’s go, Redskins!” chants that echoed across a new field of artificial turf, glowing green against a vast dun-colored landscape.

Inside the Red Mesa High School locker room, Ted Nugent’s “Stranglehold” blared on the stereo as players hurried to strap on their helmets and gather for a pregame prayer and pep talk.

“This is your time, right?” the team’s assistant coach demanded.

“Yes, sir!” the players shouted. “Redskins on three! Redskins on three! One, two, three, Redskins!”

Link

Long piece with some different perspectives.

No. You're comparing apples and intercontinetal ballistic missiles. What do they have in common? They're both nouns, they both physically exist but they're not even CLOSE to being the same thing.

I have issues with the N-word. Axl Rose was once criticized for using it in a song and in an interview he said: "Hell, they call themselves n:883rs why can't I?"

At that point I made it my my mission to stop using it. I figured he had a bit of a point and if I stopped using it, he'd have no reason to use it to describe me or anyone else. But here's the thing, whether or not I want to use that disgusting prejorative to describe myself or any other person of color is entirely up to me. I CHOOSE not to because the word to me has a horrible connotation and was used as a means of keeping people subjegated.
For the most part when persons of color refer to one another as a racial slur, it's done playfully and mockingly as a term of endearment. I PERSONALLY think it's kinda silly and don't do it, but that the reason behind it.

To that end, a black guy calling another black guy "n:883r" , an Indian calling another Indian "R3d$k:n", an Asian calling another Asian a "g00k", is NOT the same as a person who is NOT a member of one of the aforementioned using the term as the groups in question didn't INVENT the offensive terms as a means of subjegating THEMSELVES and weren't using the terms to remind them to know their "place." Conversely I've heard Italians call OTHER Italians "w0p" and "da80" and the Irish refer to one another as "m:cks" but I sure as hell won't call them that as I LIKE my teeth and structural integrity of my jaw.

Well if that is the case you are no longer able to use the word cracker. You may still be able to say Saltine and Ritz, but I forbid you to follow that up with cracker.

On a serious note, when are people going to realize that the more power you give a word the more people will use it and defend it. Don't we have bigger issues to discuss? World hunger? Poverty? A corrupt prison system? Instead we use a lot of time and resources crying to mom that someone called them a name. So? People say mean things to me all the time. Are you bleeding? Is something broken? Can you walk? OK then suck it up and be an adult. You might not be able to fix stupid but you can stop giving them power.

The Supreme Court on Monday struck down part of a law that bans offensive trademarks in a ruling that is expected to help the Washington Redskins in their legal fight over the team name.

The justices ruled that the 71-year-old trademark law barring disparaging terms infringes on free speech rights.

The ruling is a victory for an Asian-American rock band called the Slants, but the case was closely watched for the impact it would have on a separate dispute involving Washington's football team.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19678652/supreme-court-gives-washington-redskins-boost-name-fight

A potentially derogatory name for a native people that were the target of genocidal policies perpetuated by the federal government is a perfect symbol for an entertainment medium in this nation's capital.

It's definitely a keeper. It's a wonderful example of Washington, D.C. culture.

Back